The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Please switch the engine now before its too late..

Hazed

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with enough interns anything is possible

The only possible why to change the game engine now is to scrap the game completely. And start over from scratch.

You can not change a game engine in existing software. It's not possible. Now if you want the game to be thrown out and have BW start over and spend another 5 years redeveloping the game more power to you.

I enjoy it the way it is. So I say no.

Doesn't affect his basic point: if you think the game is already dead, why are you paying to play it? Unsubbing will send a much more coherent message than yet another petulant forum rant.

You repeatedly post this in all your threads, and the fact of the matter is that people are doing this. Active player numbers are way down since FFXIV. My entire guild of 70 active players as of May is now down to 10 active players with about 20 active players in the other two guilds in our TS alliance.

And to boot, tons of PvP only players have all said that they plan to unsub when PvP goes F2P. There will be zero point in continuing to sub if you primarily PvP because you can go to preferred status, not pay a sub, and still do exactly what you've been doing in game with $15/month back in your pocket.

Things do not look good right now.

hundreds of thousands of players really? I am here till they make another Star Wars MMO but I am pretty sure its "thousands" not "hundreds of thousands" that are playing this game LOL

Please, now you've just lost all credibility. If there were only "thousands" playing this game, it would have closed down months ago. Even the worst estimates put subs at 250k and FTP players at least that high.

I get it. You don't like the game. So, don't play it. Don't support it in any way and if enough people agree with you your prediction will eventually come true. If not, those of who do like the game and have no desire to see it shutdown or replaced will be able to play it in peace.

It's totally win-win.

Please post your sources.

Otherwise I will be going from investor statements which, by law, have to be accurate.

Haha investor statements, ok dude you obviously know nothing about the financial sector side.

btw here are EA's financial's tell me where you see a difference in pattern.. the only pattern that EA has is their summer stock price goes up because Madden is released every summer. Markets are cyclical and the performance of SWToR has nothing to do with share price.. however them saying some arbitrary number on a conference call will incite the market to react in some way (could be positive could be negative). Point is, people lie in the financial sector in order to cause fluctuation in price to either sell or create buying opportunities.

You will not find SWToR's numbers on their balance sheet. Because as you said they can't lie by law to regulators, but they can lie to investors.

You repeatedly post this in all your threads, and the fact of the matter is that people are doing this.

And this is a problem because ...?

Active player numbers are way down since FFXIV. My entire guild of 70 active players as of May is now down to 10 active players with about 20 active players in the other two guilds in our TS alliance.

Players come and go. They take breaks. I have not played LotRO in 5 months, but I will go back to it eventually (if it's still there).

And to boot, tons of PvP only players have all said that they plan to unsub when PvP goes F2P.

Every single player who considers him- or herself primarily a PvPer could unsub and the game would not even notice.

Things do not look good right now.

Wow, I think a piece of the sky just fell on me.

Haha investor statements, ok dude you obviously know nothing about the financial sector side.

And your derision proves that you do?

You will not find SWToR's numbers on their balance sheet. Because as you said they can't lie by law to regulators, but they can lie to investors.

Where do you find them, in the anecdotal and highly subjective observations of players?

Edited by branmakmuffin

Every single player who considers him- or herself primarily a PvPer could unsub and the game would not even notice.

QFT: this game is primarily Story driven, as far as i can tell most hardcore PvPers don't like story, find it to be just unnecessary filler and fluff... honestly i don't see why they stick around and bash a story game for being a story game and not all about one of it's mini-games(PvP)... the whole thing is a Wookie living on Endor, it doesn't make any sense...

btw here are EA's financial's tell me where you see a difference in pattern.. the only pattern that EA has is their summer stock price goes up because Madden is released every summer. Markets are cyclical and the performance of SWToR has nothing to do with share price.. however them saying some arbitrary number on a conference call will incite the market to react in some way (could be positive could be negative). Point is, people lie in the financial sector in order to cause fluctuation in price to either sell or create buying opportunities.

I don't even...

I mean, where do we start with this guy? They can lie to investors? WHERE DO YOU GET THIS STUFF? *chuckle*

I mean, really man? Really?

QFT: this game is primarily Story driven, as far as i can tell most hardcore PvPers don't like story, find it to be just unnecessary filler and fluff... honestly i don't see why they stick around and bash a story game for being a story game and not all about one of it's mini-games(PvP)... the whole thing is a Wookie living on Endor, it doesn't make any sense.

I think they play here because it's a lot easier to be a top notch PvPer, relatively speaking, when much of their competition is made up of "scrubby" PvEers who like to PvP once in a while. Anyone who is truly serious about "hardcore" PvP is not playing TOR.

Edited by branmakmuffin

The OP must understand, changing a Engine is almost impossible at this stage of the game. TOR is using Hero engine. Now to change it would require them to re-write and re-design almost everything. It would be much easier to release SWTOR 2 instead of that.

How is this kid able to present a better Nar Shadaa using Cryengine3?

Seriously, ***? Get your act together!

Someone at bioware just needs to pull the plug and quickly switch engines. Sure you have to pay the cryengine license, but you will at least have a steady stream of students who can easily adapt SWToR into the next generation.

It is either that or watch this game slowly die. Nothing more to be said as the evidence is there, we are down to 4 servers with decent pops!

The current engine is a joke and anyone who says otherwise is a fool, this game has been out for 2 years and the only thing that keeps me and others coming back is the star wars name. The problem is that at this point the IP is being bastardized by a complete lack of self respect on the part of the current dev team. Please take the time to seriously accept that the engine is a farce and that a relaunch of the game under a newer engine is the only way out of the current mess.

(The real joke is on the trolls who defend this game on the forum, because ultimately I take solace in knowing Disney will eventually find that the quality of this product is garbage and will give one of their own studios the license.)

Here is a summary of the problem: C/P from PvP petition.. credit goes to Xorcist

Name: Xorcist on Sep 25, 2013

Comments: Was on POT5. Was a subscriber until August 27th 2013. No longer playing SWTOR, and have not logged in for close to two months now. Don't plan on logging in anytime soon. Reasons for leaving after supporting the SWTOR project since October 2008: Death by a thousand paper cuts. One of the very last straws was learning that nothing changed when Revan's gear was supposed to be changed to appear more like the classic Revan that we know with better textures+costume design, and not a poorly rendered Inquisitor rip off. The other last straw was the Collectors Edition Vendor did not receive the attention it was promised since the servers went live. The Cartel Market received all the attention and it was clear that BioWare did not give a flying **** about their loyal subscribers and constant stream of posts battering the company for putting the Cartel Market first for many many many months. BioWare defaulted on the agreement that we the consumer would purchase the Collectors Edition and they would regularly supply the vendor with goodies. As we know that it is possible to do so because BioWare has shown us they can by example of the Cartel Market and it's regular updates. They have chosen rather to treat their loyal customers like third class citizens. That of course is unacceptable, and subject to persecution. They charge extra real money to monthly paying Subscribers for things like the barber shop features, emotes, special holiday offerings rather than through in game quests, and one time use color dyes at approximately $20 per unit. Not to mention luring individuals to purchase insane quantities of gambling packs for a chance to get that very rare and special item or dye. Costing a single individual approximately $150 in packs perhaps more depending on the person. BioWare depends on the Cartel Market to carry them on but the Cartel Market is just a life support system keeping the patient (SWTOR) alive however, in a comatose state. This is no way to live. The game engine can not support large quantities of players at once in the same area, The game engine does not like to be touched or modified in any way. Gordon Walton needed the Hero engine because it would get the work done faster and therefore meet tight deadlines. Unfortunately the engine was not ready nor was it tested. Now what is in place running the SWTOR game is something I can only describe as a Frankenstein game engine. Bugs on top of bugs that seem never ending. No server transfer capability. It seems as though features that should be able to be added relatively quickly within reason take an eternity to see the light of day. That coupled with a very basic and stone age style of character creation for a 2011 MMO is extremely sad. The options available to create your character are mostly variations of each other with a very slight difference between them. There is no thought or creativity to the designs that were created for the various different colored humans (species). The options available to change the head, complexion, hair etc.. are 99% ugly and undesirable choices. There was so much that could've been done with this and they decided to leave it as basic and void of creative design as possible. The worlds are super basic in design. The rocks and rock formations look atrocious. The geographical details in the environments are incredibly basic using a cut and paste type of design. Nothing truly separates one world from the other in geographical design. Textures are beyond amateurish and nowhere near professional quality. Landscapes are all unimaginative and in no way inspire awe on any part of any world. Sound music/ambiance/effects quality is not Star Wars worthy. It does not put the player in the environment or make them feel like they are truly in a Star Wars universe. ALL Character animations are static and basic right through to all species and classes. They appear as though, again, an amateur designed them. Colors/light/shade on the worlds and the environment are again amateurishly done. There is no light and shade to speak of. We are given a light source that is not there. Imaginatively created light sources. "Light" sabers do not emit a strong enough source of light and is very square in nature when pressed near a wall. Badly designed light source all around. Areas are again atrociously shaded as though an amateur did the work. The Costume designer(s) should be fired as they obviously do not know what belongs in a Star Wars universe and what does not. I am certain they have never seen the movies or had any contact with any related material concerning Star Wars. Appalling and embarrassing should cover the costume designs in SWTOR from launch to present. Jawa's for example, do not appear nor sound like Jawa's are supposed to in SWTOR. Cantina designs are ridiculous and boring. Music is unappealing and quite honestly stupid sounding, even for a sci-fi fantasy surrounding. With so many disappointments and flaws that have gone live I don't think anyone at that studio has what it takes to create memorable Star Wars experience in an MMO. The teams that created the Force Unleashed series did it right. They were a very talented bunch when it came to design and execution. All of the mentioned above Needs to be addressed to create a positive and memorable long lasting Star Wars MMORPG. Doing so by hiring new designers who know how to design a living breathing Star Wars universe, and also re-designing the game engine from the bottom up is what is expected by a loyal subscriber of this game. In addition to not being taken advantage of and be shown that Subscribers continued business is truly important and not to be taken lightly as it has been since the launch of the Free to Play model. A one time appreciation gift is insulting to a loyal Subscriber. What about next month and the month after that? EVERYTHING... I've seen and experienced through this hollow journey has shown me that BioWare Austin doesn't care about it's customers past whatever they can rip from their pockets and take advantage of them for a virtual piece of candy. Their greed has no bounds or shame. They have become so truly disgusting as a game studio it sickens my stomach just thinking about it.

/rant

portability, code, language, script, animation, particles, shader and so on.. all this need to be revisited, done again, it takes AGES and LOT of money = forget that. Improve the actual one is the only way.

I think they play here because it's a lot easier to be a top notch PvPer, relatively speaking, when much of their competition is made up of "scrubby" PvEers who like to PvP once in a while. Anyone who is truly serious about "hardcore" PvP is not playing TOR.

HA! that's prolly true like "Sportsmen" that hunt deer in a fenced in field...

OP has just given the devs their own version of "heal to full" memes. I can see the devs all teasing each other now while working on bugs and features, "Learn to replace the engine, noob."

Its cake! Once you have the assets and resources, the rest is just CAKE!! CAKE I TELL YOU!

How is this kid able to present a better Nar Shadaa using Cryengine3?

Seriously, ***? Get your act together!

Someone at bioware just needs to pull the plug and quickly switch engines. Sure you have to pay the cryengine license, but you will at least have a steady stream of students who can easily adapt SWToR into the next generation.

It is either that or watch this game slowly die. Nothing more to be said as the evidence is there, we are down to 4 servers with decent pops!

The current engine is a joke and anyone who says otherwise is a fool, this game has been out for 2 years and the only thing that keeps me and others coming back is the star wars name. The problem is that at this point the IP is being bastardized by a complete lack of self respect on the part of the current dev team. Please take the time to seriously accept that the engine is a farce and that a relaunch of the game under a newer engine is the only way out of the current mess.

(The real joke is on the trolls who defend this game on the forum, because ultimately I take solace in knowing Disney will eventually find that the quality of this product is garbage and will give one of their own studios the license.)

Here is a summary of the problem: C/P from PvP petition.. credit goes to Xorcist

Name: Xorcist on Sep 25, 2013

Comments: Was on POT5. Was a subscriber until August 27th 2013. No longer playing SWTOR, and have not logged in for close to two months now. Don't plan on logging in anytime soon. Reasons for leaving after supporting the SWTOR project since October 2008: Death by a thousand paper cuts. One of the very last straws was learning that nothing changed when Revan's gear was supposed to be changed to appear more like the classic Revan that we know with better textures+costume design, and not a poorly rendered Inquisitor rip off. The other last straw was the Collectors Edition Vendor did not receive the attention it was promised since the servers went live. The Cartel Market received all the attention and it was clear that BioWare did not give a flying **** about their loyal subscribers and constant stream of posts battering the company for putting the Cartel Market first for many many many months. BioWare defaulted on the agreement that we the consumer would purchase the Collectors Edition and they would regularly supply the vendor with goodies. As we know that it is possible to do so because BioWare has shown us they can by example of the Cartel Market and it's regular updates. They have chosen rather to treat their loyal customers like third class citizens. That of course is unacceptable, and subject to persecution. They charge extra real money to monthly paying Subscribers for things like the barber shop features, emotes, special holiday offerings rather than through in game quests, and one time use color dyes at approximately $20 per unit. Not to mention luring individuals to purchase insane quantities of gambling packs for a chance to get that very rare and special item or dye. Costing a single individual approximately $150 in packs perhaps more depending on the person. BioWare depends on the Cartel Market to carry them on but the Cartel Market is just a life support system keeping the patient (SWTOR) alive however, in a comatose state. This is no way to live. The game engine can not support large quantities of players at once in the same area, The game engine does not like to be touched or modified in any way. Gordon Walton needed the Hero engine because it would get the work done faster and therefore meet tight deadlines. Unfortunately the engine was not ready nor was it tested. Now what is in place running the SWTOR game is something I can only describe as a Frankenstein game engine. Bugs on top of bugs that seem never ending. No server transfer capability. It seems as though features that should be able to be added relatively quickly within reason take an eternity to see the light of day. That coupled with a very basic and stone age style of character creation for a 2011 MMO is extremely sad. The options available to create your character are mostly variations of each other with a very slight difference between them. There is no thought or creativity to the designs that were created for the various different colored humans (species). The options available to change the head, complexion, hair etc.. are 99% ugly and undesirable choices. There was so much that could've been done with this and they decided to leave it as basic and void of creative design as possible. The worlds are super basic in design. The rocks and rock formations look atrocious. The geographical details in the environments are incredibly basic using a cut and paste type of design. Nothing truly separates one world from the other in geographical design. Textures are beyond amateurish and nowhere near professional quality. Landscapes are all unimaginative and in no way inspire awe on any part of any world. Sound music/ambiance/effects quality is not Star Wars worthy. It does not put the player in the environment or make them feel like they are truly in a Star Wars universe. ALL Character animations are static and basic right through to all species and classes. They appear as though, again, an amateur designed them. Colors/light/shade on the worlds and the environment are again amateurishly done. There is no light and shade to speak of. We are given a light source that is not there. Imaginatively created light sources. "Light" sabers do not emit a strong enough source of light and is very square in nature when pressed near a wall. Badly designed light source all around. Areas are again atrociously shaded as though an amateur did the work. The Costume designer(s) should be fired as they obviously do not know what belongs in a Star Wars universe and what does not. I am certain they have never seen the movies or had any contact with any related material concerning Star Wars. Appalling and embarrassing should cover the costume designs in SWTOR from launch to present. Jawa's for example, do not appear nor sound like Jawa's are supposed to in SWTOR. Cantina designs are ridiculous and boring. Music is unappealing and quite honestly stupid sounding, even for a sci-fi fantasy surrounding. With so many disappointments and flaws that have gone live I don't think anyone at that studio has what it takes to create memorable Star Wars experience in an MMO. The teams that created the Force Unleashed series did it right. They were a very talented bunch when it came to design and execution. All of the mentioned above Needs to be addressed to create a positive and memorable long lasting Star Wars MMORPG. Doing so by hiring new designers who know how to design a living breathing Star Wars universe, and also re-designing the game engine from the bottom up is what is expected by a loyal subscriber of this game. In addition to not being taken advantage of and be shown that Subscribers continued business is truly important and not to be taken lightly as it has been since the launch of the Free to Play model. A one time appreciation gift is insulting to a loyal Subscriber. What about next month and the month after that? EVERYTHING... I've seen and experienced through this hollow journey has shown me that BioWare Austin doesn't care about it's customers past whatever they can rip from their pockets and take advantage of them for a virtual piece of candy. Their greed has no bounds or shame. They have become so truly disgusting as a game studio it sickens my stomach just thinking about it.

/rant

omg... the level of troll? or the level of complete ineptitude ... boggles me.

splashing textures on a wire frame and doing a fly by is NOT a engine. To replace the current engine would require a full physics rewrite to "meet the new engines resource handling" it would require a full rewrite of all the abilities , cooldowns and all the interconnected mechanics and scripting... all new scripting.

it would require all the textures to be ported, it would require all models, players, mounts, mobs to get new wire frames in all likelyhood to handle the completely different animation system crytech uses.

you would have to rewrite everything that has been done, and only get to reuse textures... (after having to convert them ) and you would have to re-aplha , then re-beta, then re-RC all over again and release.. then find new bugs from basterizing a new engine and have the same issues... all over again.

they wont, they cant and they dont have the $$ for this... they'd have to literally segment and devide their dev team to do this to keep current players while building a new engine ... you think its bad now!? wait until you try this and have half the dev and test teams.

!DEV code to full!

Edited by captpickles

They are never going to switch engine, it would be like making a totally new game. The only things you would be able keep are sounds, textures, models and maybe animations. It's years of work.

But the main problem with SWTOR is they made the game for an era which has now passed. It was made to compete with wow, but wow is also dying. Bioware being bought out by EA didn't help either, big publishers almost always ruin things to try and appeal to mass market.

Edited by NasherUK

They are never going to switch engine, it would be like making a totally new game. The only things you would be able keep are sounds, textures, models and maybe animations. It's years of work.

But the main problem with SWTOR is they made the game for an era which has now passed. It was made to compete with wow, but wow is also dying. Bioware being bought out by EA didn't help either, big publishers almost always ruin things to try and appeal to mass market.

Every game is made with at-the-time-available technology. By the time the game is released, the tech is "years old. tech."