The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Please switch the engine now before its too late..

Hazed

LOL.. did not see any MMO in there.. just talk. All I saw as an alpha demonstration of a single character running around and not interacting with anybody or anything. Whooo hoo.

Protip: CryengineN is not the engine of choice for MMOs. It's optimized for single player games on consoles. Believe it or not... MMOs and single player games have much different engine requirements. A game engine is much more then just graphics these days.

Its better than SWToR's engine

and that is what we have now

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are valid issues, but I am with them pulling the plug for 6 months or whatever and them getting the game done right. It is obvious this game is a failure, those who believe otherwise are completely delusional. Only thing that I see that can be done here is to reboot the whole game now before its too late.. I know it is a stretch, but if they wish to ride the Star Wars IP longer they will need to make the tough decision and call a time of death on this iteration of SWToR.

its the humane thing to do.

"Humane." :rolleyes: It's a game, dude. Get a grip. When it dies (which it will eventually), it dies.

If you're willing to pull the plug for a couple of years, sure, but years of more sunk profit is not going to happen, they would shut the game down first anyway. They actually tried switching the engine at some point in beta, it didn't work out then, it's not going to work out now. I don't know what kind of crazy idea you have in your head about how game development works, but it's not like swapping out a car engine.

You pull players away for a significant amount of time, they are just going to get involved in other games.

These are valid issues, but I am with them pulling the plug for 6 months or whatever and them getting the game done right. It is obvious this game is a failure, those who believe otherwise are completely delusional. Only thing that I see that can be done here is to reboot the whole game now before its too late.. I know it is a stretch, but if they wish to ride the Star Wars IP longer they will need to make the tough decision and call a time of death on this iteration of SWToR.

its the humane thing to do.

Believe me, I understand your frustrations with the game atm, however asking for BioWare to replace the Engine is simply not possible unless they remake it from the ground up and essentially create a new game(Which won't happen)

Edited by SithEBM

It's not possible to switch the engine.

QFT.

Everything you said after typing the title "Please switch the engine now before its too late" is just not relevant. To change the game engine they would have rewrite it from scratch reusing a few asset files. It is already "too late" for that.

It was far too late long before the game was released... I don't know how you can think it's possible...

It's possible. The game just needed to be a huge success and it hasn't been. WoW rebuilt their engine early on when Vanilla became a huge hit and they had the cash flow to do it.

FFXIV rebuilt their engine from ground up while everyone continued to play on the old engine until 2.0 was good to go.

It could be done, but it's clear at this point that the business model for this game is to give players just enough actual content to keep them interested, but not enough to have to be spending a lot of money on the game. And then rape everyone for trinkets between content patches. So based on the way they have operated since F2P it's clear they have no interest in further large scale investment.

It's not possible to switch the engine.

*Edit*

They would need to remake the game from the ground up and I guarantee you that won't happen.

It will happen one way or another because in 1 year the license is up and Disney will want to see the same revenue as Activision from a Star Wars licensed IP that they own.

This game lost all credibility the day the Dr.'s walked out on Bioware and EA.. they knew they had involuntarily given birth to a deformed monster.. the only fix is to nuke the current iteration and start fresh. The sad part is when they do this all the people who spent $$$ on cartel items will be so angry, yet EA has done this time and time again in other games.

The writing is on the wall

It will happen one way or another because in 1 year the license is up and Disney will want to see the same revenue as Activision from a Star Wars licensed IP that they own.

This game lost all credibility the day the Dr.'s walked out on Bioware and EA.. they knew they had involuntarily given birth to a deformed monster.. the only fix is to nuke the current iteration and start fresh. The sad part is when they do this all the people who spent $$$ on cartel items will be so angry, yet EA has done this time and time again in other games.

LOL... you give good comedy.. I'll give you credit for that. :)

Its better than SWToR's engine

and that is what we have now

I think you missed the point. It appear better then the hero engine the SWTOR uses but its not an engine that is designed for an MMO on a pc. It is an engine designed for a single player game. While under the conditions it is designed for it may appear awesome and work great but if it used for an MMO which have vastly different requirement then a single player game then it may run a lot worse and have a lot more issues then the hero engine.

Are you serious?

Nah. I think this guy just got us hook, line and sinker.

Good show man. 8/10.

They would need to shut this game down because EA currently develops the SW games now.

I agree that this game isn't what it could have been, but they can't switch the engine or develop a new SW MMO if this one is still active.

let me try and get my point across easier

this game needs to die faster so a new Star Wars game can be made.

A quality star wars game is what people want and will throw money at... I don't think a single person in these forums won't jump up with excitement the moment another Star Wars MMO is announced.

let me try and get my point across easier

this game needs to die faster so a new Star Wars game can be made.

A quality star wars game is what people want and will throw money at... I don't think a single person in these forums won't jump up with excitement the moment another Star Wars MMO is announced.

Can't argue with that.

I know it is a stretch, but if they wish to ride the Star Wars IP longer they will need to make the tough decision and call a time of death on this iteration of SWToR.

If you truly believe this, the only way you can help bring it about is to unsub. Perhaps without your monthly payment the game will go under and a new Star Wars MMO will rise from the ashes. Not likely, but it's really your only option. As long as you continue to financially support the game, it's hard to argues that is should be dead.

In the mean time, I and the hundreds of thousands of other active players will continue to play the game we enjoy until the apocalypse happens. Many of us will also continue to advocate for changes we think will make the game better, but we'll do it in a way that's reasonable and not alarmist exaggerations so over the top that no reasonable person can take them as realistic suggestions.

If you truly believe this, the only way you can help bring it about is to unsub. Perhaps without your monthly payment the game will go under and a new Star Wars MMO will rise from the ashes. Not likely, but it's really your only option. As long as you continue to financially support the game, it's hard to argues that is should be dead.

In the mean time, I and the hundreds of thousands of other active players will continue to play the game we enjoy until the apocalypse happens. Many of us will also continue to advocate for changes we think will make the game better, but we'll do it in a way that's reasonable and not alarmist exaggerations so over the top that no reasonable person can take them as realistic suggestions.

hundreds of thousands of players really? I am here till they make another Star Wars MMO but I am pretty sure its "thousands" not "hundreds of thousands" that are playing this game LOL

QFT, If you want the game to die then you have to stop supporting it. It's that simple.

hundreds of thousands of players really? I am here till they make another Star Wars MMO but I am pretty sure its "thousands" not "hundreds of thousands" that are playing this game LOL

Doesn't affect his basic point: if you think the game is already dead, why are you paying to play it? Unsubbing will send a much more coherent message than yet another petulant forum rant.

Please post your sources.

Otherwise I will be going from investor statements which, by law, have to be accurate.

as many others have already said it's not possible to swap out the engine at this juncture...Bioware has no prior experience with MMOs what they are good at is stories...

we should just take this as the learning experience it is and hope that they do learn from their mistakes, as i feel they are, and hope things turn out better in a possible future SW:TOR2... i'm perfectly fine with the game we have now and the direction it's going with things like the SSSP... but i will expect more from them if they decide to sequel this...

it's just a learning experience for them and ppl need to quit tearing at them for trying...

Listen how much would it cost you think to switch engine (the base building block ) , engine is nothing without scripts .

Now how many scripts do you think SWTOR has ? How many lines in the database .

We are not even talking about the graphics , while most programmers can understand and do the basic scripting .

We are talking about scripts in the current engine without documentation , by engineers , they did workaround on a lot of things , those same engineers most are not around , the way EA fired them left them a bad taste in the mouth .

A major problem with this game is infrastructure of the network , inside the game .

All the data has to be server verified , client verified , server verified etc , from get go they didn't really concentrate on those problems , same as wow , lessons learned from blizzard putting everybody at 100 ms latency(gameplay) .

Doesn't apply to swtor , there are so many technical issues , just blaiming the engine (which was a alpha state when they purchase it) , I am still amazed that it is even a mmo at this stage .

That is no sarcasme , I mean loading times for zoning are ridiculous (something you try to avoid in making a persistant world) look I think once you see past all the flaws and there are way too many .

some the combat scripts and animation clipping need to be fixed , tons of scripts need to be fixed or made more user friendly , changing engine at this stage will not save the product , unless it is a compatible engine with support .

I know OP you wish to help , maybe if those issue in the 7 year beta and at the 3rd year beta , they might have switched engine and cut the losses , now how much would it take in expenses alone to pull this off ?

With the small bare bone team they ?

Edited by Drake_Hound

Doesn't affect his basic point: if you think the game is already dead, why are you paying to play it? Unsubbing will send a much more coherent message than yet another petulant forum rant.

I like hitting other players with lightsabers and $15 isn't a lot of money to do that. What keeps the game alive is the gambling addicts who open 500 cartel packs to complete a set of something (which I understand), but that novelty will wear off the moment they realize that EA has never had a problem with wiping "virtual goods" (read the EULA).

I am asking them to remake the game plain and simple.

yes and they can do it within a 12 month timeline, just copy over existing ideas into an engine that actually does what they need it to do. Nothing magical or crazy about that.. it takes man hours and nothing more, hell they would be helping the economy by hiring all those students to do the work.

ok, now that we've all stopped laughing.

If I had been drinking milk, my nose would be burning, and co-workers would be looking at me VERY awkwardly.

I suppose given all the magic and vodoo in software development, it probably CAN be done in 12 months.