Taking their Guild rank, and the game, too seriously....

zachass

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We also only have his version of what happen. We have no idea exactly what the officer said. Do we really know if the officer said what was stated here?

I would use caution before making a judgment based on one side of the evidence. I am not saying that the officer didn't use poor judgment, based on the OP's views, but until we know all the facts we cannot know for sure what the officer said.

The officer could have very well said what OP said but then again the officer may not have stated what was said.

I have never ran into an officer in a guild that acts like that. The guild I am in the officers don't act like that so based on my experience I don't see an officer acting like that. Again this is based on my experience, not anyone's else.

I would think reserving judgment in this case is warranted as we only have one side of the story.

the thing is, all we have to go on is the OP's perspective. maybe some other thing happened, maybe the OP was crucifying kittens and that's what really set the officer off, but for the purpose of this thread, we shouldn't be speculating on kittens. assuming things happened with no evidence, such as the kitten conspiracy, is worse than assuming the information we have is the only information available.

as a thought exercise into how a guild officer should act, this thread is limited to the narrow and possibly biased account from the OP. if that isn't enough information to form an opinion, then no opinion should be formed. you shouldn't just assume that the OP was actually more abrasive than suggested (or that they crucify kittens, or anything else), because at that point you are building an opinion and ideology based on fantasy.

i think it's important to understand in this specific thread, we don't know for certain what guild he's talking about or who the officer is that kicked him (unless i'm mistake, and we do know that). because of that, we're not attacking the character of a specific person, and there shouldn't really be any harm done to any guild or individual. i do think it would be a mistake to judge an actual person or guild poorly based on this thread, due what might be a lack of evidence.

in the very first guild i was in, right off the starter planet it was 4 of us that randomly grouped for a flashpoint and one of them said 'hey, let's start a guild,' one of the others was quite similar to what is portrayed here. our guild thrived, and we had the maximum number and even had to kick inactive accounts for a while, but in the end it fell apart because of him, and it was quite sad.

What you did is not wrong. Stating that someone does not have the right to run a guild the way they see fit is wrong. You do not determine how someone else runs a guild...you can start your own guild for that.

This is where your logic breaks down. You want to be right in an environment in which you were not for that particular situation. This is impossible. It was the right thing for them to do to remove you, and it is the right thing for you to do to desire to belong to a guild that better matches your personality and free spirit.

And there you are.

Easy there tiger, If this rule was not explained and there was no other means of assessing the information then at the absolute most that deserved maybe a warning. Now if the info was there and the OP neglected to visit the site, check the guild tab and whatnot then the ball is more in his court for the blame- that said being new also influences things. Did this guild know he was an mmo virgin? was he directed to the info or lack thereof?

We have too many unknowns to just start going "you don't speak up"

So I had just joined a Guild, seemed like pretty good people, but second day in a random Guildie swears in Guild chat and gets admonished. I suggest to the offended person that they turn on the profanity filter if it bothers them that much. In reply the offended person says: "Are you seriously telling your Guild OFFICER to use their profanity filter?" I responded by pointing out that I wasn't even the one who swore, and reminded them that just because they outrank me in an imaginary hierarchy on a VIDEO GAME, it doesn't make them better than me. Bam, instantly removed from Guild. Does this sound reasonable to anyone else? Just curious. This is my first MMO.

This thread is unreasonable and highly hypocritical.

Why wouldn't you just quit the guild and join a different one?

Easy there tiger, If this rule was not explained and there was no other means of assessing the information then at the absolute most that deserved maybe a warning. Now if the info was there and the OP neglected to visit the site, check the guild tab and whatnot then the ball is more in his court for the blame- that said being new also influences things. Did this guild know he was an mmo virgin? was he directed to the info or lack thereof?

We have too many unknowns to just start going "you don't speak up"

It has been pointed out already, but, "and reminded them that just because they outrank me in an imaginary hierarchy on a VIDEO GAME, it doesn't make them better than me," gets you an instant boot. This is especially true for recruits. I wouldn't give him a moment's hesitation to do the same.

That doesn't mean that the officer is absolved of all responsibility in causing the issue, but the OP decided to escalate the issue, and was then surprised to find himself suddenly guildless.

I'm going to guess that it was not as polite and gentlemanly as the alleged victim claims.....it never is.

When we only see one side of the story, it's no better than a hypothetical. Given my own experience with imperious guild leaders and officers, though, I am inclined to give the OP the benefit of the doubt. I had a similar situation in LotRO where the leader dressed down someone in guild chat. I PM'd the leader and said it was not appropriate to act like a kindergarten teacher scolding his unruly students. He replied with something like "Are you seriously telling me how to police my own guild's chat?" That was all I needed to quit the guild.

in the very first guild i was in, right off the starter planet it was 4 of us that randomly grouped for a flashpoint and one of them said 'hey, let's start a guild,' one of the others was quite similar to what is portrayed here. our guild thrived, and we had the maximum number and even had to kick inactive accounts for a while, but in the end it fell apart because of him, and it was quite sad.

There's always at least one in every guild. If it's just a member, not too much of a problem. If it's an officer, not good. If it's the leader, the guild is destined to be short-lived.

Edited by branmakmuffin

Pulling this kind of crap on your second day?

Unless you've put out respectable performance in a hard mode raid or a ranked warzone, off you go brother.

I have nothing against profanity and I don't take my guild rank seriously. But there's acting loose and there's acting openly defiant of your guild's practices and structure.

A road cop doesn't have to "be better than you" to tell you to pull over. It's his job and his right as a part of carrying it out. Telling him that "he's not better than you" - directly implying that you're better than him and thus entitled to tell him how to do his job - is an insult. An insult he can't legally act upon, of course. But, since guilds are voluntary membership organizations, a guild officer can and should.

You phrased your post to look good, but what happened is pretty obvious even behind it. Even if you were an accomplished HM+ raider, the guild will probably be better off with fewer "rebels without a cause" in the long run anyway. One player who can play along is worth more than two who can't.

"Openly defiant" would indicate that a random person on the internet should have authority over you.

"tell him how to do his job" First off, It's not a job. Secondly, the total amount of responsibility one must take on to be an officer in a guild is the sum total of the air that passes through my colon when I fart.

To expect one person to simply bow down to the unreasonable domination of another person for no other reason than "Because I said so and I'm better than you" is a state of mind I cannot even begin to fathom.

the OP just though the profanity filter was a suitable way to filter profanity. the drama queen was the officer who decided to flex their power without consultation and without talking it through with the alleged offender. if the best you can do as an officer in your guild is to boot people without talking to them first, you are a failure and the best thing for you to do would be to ask your guild leader to remove you from your position. i'm not saying you have to do that or anything, because it's your guild and i'm not running it or a part of it. i'm just suggesting that you think about your role and the drama you're creating when you go off on a power trip against people who are just trying to have fun playing a game. people don't like it when others threaten them with being kicked out of a guild. it doesn't matter how trivial a game is or how trivial your guild is, people still don't like being threatened.

....I'd boot you too, LOL.

Have a great day. ;p

"Openly defiant" would indicate that a random person on the internet should have authority over you.

"tell him how to do his job" First off, It's not a job. Secondly, the total amount of responsibility one must take on to be an officer in a guild is the sum total of the air that passes through my colon when I fart.

To expect one person to simply bow down to the unreasonable domination of another person for no other reason than "Because I said so and I'm better than you" is a state of mind I cannot even begin to fathom.

.....and you would be gone also. ;p See how easy that is.

All the drama gone from my guild, and we are off and raiding with our good people still intact, and no issues.

The complaining and drama may go on and on as it is in this thread, but not in my ear. ;p

Edited by Blackardin

It has been pointed out already, but, "and reminded them that just because they outrank me in an imaginary hierarchy on a VIDEO GAME, it doesn't make them better than me," gets you an instant boot. This is especially true for recruits. I wouldn't give him a moment's hesitation to do the same.

That doesn't mean that the officer is absolved of all responsibility in causing the issue, but the OP decided to escalate the issue, and was then surprised to find himself suddenly guildless.

Even in light of my being a bit factitious in this thread, this is my philosophy, almost to the letter.

This thread is unreasonable and highly hypocritical.

Why wouldn't you just quit the guild and join a different one?

Drama. That is the entity of the point, and the entirety of this thread. This particular individual is very attached to drama. He created it in his guild, when he was shut out there, he came and is now creating it on these boards....but as I stated, his guild leader and guild officers do not have to deal with it any longer....we do. LOL

There is no such thing as too much power in hands of an officer. The officer would not be given the rank if his judgment was not trusted. Otherwise blame the GL for the mistake.

It does not matter if you offend an officer or a regular member of a guild it is still unwelcome and maybe punished, especially if you are new which most likely means 'probation period' of some kind.

People in a guild spend a lot of time together and it is necessary to ensure there are no conflicts of any kind in a guild, the sooner an individual is removed the better for everyone.

People make mistakes, everyone knows that, an responsible officer would give an individual a warning, but considering the negative attitude from the OP officer could be under impression there is no chance this newbie is going to change for the better.

Swearing in guild chat? That is absolutely up to the guild leadership and no one should question that.

He does have authority over you. He can remove you from the guild, among other things. Whether you choose to acknowledge or care about the authority given to him doesn't matter. Nor does it matter whether it is particularly meaningful authority, only that it exists and he has it. Therefore if you choose to piss off said person with authority and have (willingly) subjected yourself to that authority by being in his guild, you will face whatever consequences he deems fit within his power.

No one expects you to bow down if that's not your prerogative, but authority he has and it's his right to use it as he chooses. If you don't like it find someone that acts more to your liking.

Edited by MillionsKNives

....I'd boot you too, LOL.

Have a great day. ;p

4 unique replies in 15 minutes. i'm not sure where you think the drama is coming from, but you're a big part of it.

if you ever do boot me from a guild, i hope it adequately satiates your desire to feel powerful and superior to other people. after all, that's what this is about. people who don't want drama wouldn't fan the flame. that only makes it bigger.