MR-36 Sniper rifle Super rare for $30K????

PathosRah

I read in the September 4th patch that the MR-36 sniper rifle is NOW SUPER RARE. If it's so rare, then why are there like 20 on the GTN for $30K?

First, don't use $ for credits

Second, they changed the cartel icon's color and drop in future openings

Third, "super rare" is subjective and may not be rare to you.

price = f(supply,demand)

super rare item that nobody wants = cheap

common item that everyone wants = varies

rare item that everyone wants = expensive

if you feel current price is undervalued feel free to buy them up, and re-post at prices you think are closer to their perceived value. But don't be surprised if they don't sell.

price = f(supply,demand)

Exactly.

if you feel current price is undervalued feel free to buy them up, and re-post at prices you think are closer to their perceived value. But don't be surprised if they don't sell.

This by the way applies even to non-super_rare items. It's all about value to players, not rarity.

Example: Relnex Robe --- average selling price early after release on my server 5-7K. I bought a truck load of them at this price range and have been feeding them back into the market recently for 25-35K. I could hold them longer and probably sell them for 100K.. but I'm fine making a 5x profit and releasing them to people earlier rather then hoard for ridiculous prices later on when the market completely dries up.

On topic: Personally, I have been buying up low price MR-36s since they released. They will sell well later on. worst case.. I break even later on if they don't sell well. Buy low sell later is pretty full proof in this MMO. The exception being speeders. Speeders are a bad buy/hold/sell in general I have found.

There is a lot of wealth to be made in this game buying cartel pack gear early and holding for later sale. You just have to figure out what will be popular and look for underpriced items to buy and hold.

Edited by Andryah

It goes in cycles too... today it may be 30k or cheaper, but in a few months it will likely be worth much much more. It really depends on the market, the cartel packs, and the cool new shiny things being offered. I sold a dancers top that I'd had for months taking up space in cargo for 120k. The funny thing is, that when I first got it, I couldn't sell it for 5k.

BTW, I found a MR-36 selling for 5k today. Bought it right up. I have a sniper that might use it, but I'll just let it sit in cargo for a while. Bet the next time I decide to clean out cargo, I will get much more than 5k for it.

Edited by Rafaman

This ^

The other day I bought some "super rare" JM-27s for myself and my guild and they went for 6k cr.

Yeah I don't really get why they're so cheap. There are plenty of commandos out there and it's IMO easily a top 3 cannon. It's not like it drops more often than any of the other gold weapons so it must be that people don't want it. And yes, I've taken into account that some of the other weapons can be used by more than one AC. Edited by MidichIorian

i had a discussion with someone right after this went live and he was sitting online 5 of them and he tried to explain to me he was a major in business and all this other jazz...he missed the point where i told him the price which at the time was like 300k was only gonna go down, so the next day i bought one for my sniper at 96k

the guy prolly felt like a fool

Also, in this particular case, it wasn't originally a super-rare, and when the pack first came out, the market was flooded (I was able to pick one up for 5k). So when the rarity was changed, there were still a bunch of them on the market which were obtained when they were more common, which kept the price down. Not to mention the fact that, by that point, a lot of the people who wanted one (myself included) had already gotten them cheap before the change to rarity.

price = f(supply,demand)

This.

They also changed the drop rate. When the packs first came out they weren't "super rare" and there were many of them floating around. THEN, after a few days, the announced that they lowered the drop rate and made it "super rare."

Personally, I felt it was pointless because there were a bunch of them already out there.

They also changed the drop rate. When the packs first came out they weren't "super rare" and there were many of them floating around. THEN, after a few days, the announced that they lowered the drop rate and made it "super rare."

Personally, I felt it was pointless because there were a bunch of them already out there.

Yeah, horse .... stable door ..... bolted and all that.

I got mine for about 10k I think. Never actually equipped it on my Sniper though, as I prefer my old X-500 Wraith too much.

I don't really see the logic of making this a Super Rare. If you add it to collections on a Sniper you aren't that likely to pay the Super Rare price to unlock it account wide just to use on the handful of companions that can use a sniper rifle, i.e Gault and Risha.

The rarity definition from BW references the drop rate. Once this stuff hits the marketplace, it's price is driven by demand and sniper rifles have never had a big demand.

i had a discussion with someone right after this went live and he was sitting online 5 of them and he tried to explain to me he was a major in business and all this other jazz...he missed the point where i told him the price which at the time was like 300k was only gonna go down, so the next day i bought one for my sniper at 96k

the guy prolly felt like a fool

And after Shipment 3 gets discontinued, the price will go back up....and probably be higher than it ever was when the packs were available from the CM. That's the best time to sell any of this stuff. But most people don't have the patience to wait that out.

The MR-36 looks like a steam-cleaning device from a car wash.

BTW, I found a MR-36 selling for 5k today. Bought it right up. I have a sniper that might use it, but I'll just let it sit in cargo for a while. Bet the next time I decide to clean out cargo, I will get much more than 5k for it.

You might even get ... 6k for it. :p

Edited by branmakmuffin

Only Sniper Rifle that everyone wants is X-52 and its REALLY Super Rare.There are so few on Harbinger for example.Other rifle's including mr-36 is piece of CRAP:)

What's special about the X-52 ? I've seen Dulfy's vid showing it but meh... kinda looks like a bunch of others