The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Episode V

SanguisMo

So... this random question came to mind as I rewatched Episode 5.

When Luke meets Yoda for the first time... why isn't R2 like... "Yo Luke... that's Yoda."

Surely Yoda would also recognise R2... yet they both act like they don't know of each other. Yoda hits him with his walking stick and R2 wrestles with him over that object.

There are canon reason for this or have they not thought about it?

At the end of Ep. 3 they erased the memories of c-3p0 and r2-d2. for yoda not remembering r2 I don't know. there was a 19 year difference since he seen r2 so its possible he forgot or just didn't care enough to bring it up. Edited by EmperorAkito

At the end of Ep. 3 they erased the memories of c-3p0 and r2-d2. for yoda not remembering r2 I don't know. there was a 19 year difference since he seen r2 so its possible he forgot or just didn't care enough to bring it up.

They only erased 3-PO's

I would guess R2 is a droid and a astro droid at that and Yoda may have seen a few droids so remembering one particular droid over the years he has encountered them is not very likely.

As far as R2 not remembering Yoda he probably didn't pay that much attention to Yoda when he first met him, if in fact he actually did. It is all possible that R2 never actually saw Yoda until Empire Strikes Back as I seriously doubt R2 would have been with Anakin all the time in the Jedi Temple.

There is no canon reason...yet. that being said the "solution" is probably simpler than you think.

Do you remember the ST:TNG episode where the Enterprise crew was rendered unconscious by a Xenophobic species. In the episode, the crew initially believes that wormhole's radiation was the culprit, but "clues" were left all over the ship leading the crew to believe otherwise. It was eventually reveal that the Xenophobic race had never encountered an android like Data and could not wipe his memory. So Picard ordered Data to never reveal his knowledge of that species.

At some point between E3 and E4, it is most likely the case that Bail Organa orders Artoo to never reveal information regarding what he knows of the events of the PT. Artoo was simply following orders and no one ever had reason to question him.

And for all Yoda knew Luke's "Artoo" was not the R2-D2 he knew from back then. No droid is 100% unique in appearance. Or maybe he did know I just feigned ignorance.

Yoda has never liked droids so he probably didn't recognize R2 because of this.

As to R2. In The Unseen Queen, some of R2's files were found to be sealed away, and I don't think even R2 could access them, so Yoda's identity and location were likely sealed off from him.

I'll have to read through that to be sure, though.

Concerning Artoo, we really have no idea what's going on in his little astromech mind. He might have never met yoda. I mean, Anakin loved him, but droids are basically tools. I doubt much time is spent introducing tools to your friends.

As for Yoda, I'm sure he was just lying. I mean, lying to Luke seemed to be Yoda's and Obi-Wan's favorite pastime.

Edited by Vecke

It's not that hard to imagine.

20-30 years before Luke meets Yoda for the first time there were literally hundreds of thousands of droids in the galaxy. Battle droids, astrometric droids, interpreters, bartenders, you name it. Obi-Wan and Yoda were surrounded by so many droids on a daily basis that it would have been to them like you or I as we walk through a mall parking lot full of cars.

Perhaps we had a friend that had a certain color Mustang that we saw him driving 20 or 30 years ago. But what if you walked by that same mustang today... would you absolutely know that it was the same car that your friend had?

Obi-Wan looking at two droids in the desert sand is no different then seeing that Mustang all those years later. Obi-Wan never remembered "owning" a droid so he just wasn't paying that much attention to them. As for R2 not "outing" Yoda right from the start... well as said before it's possible he just did not interact much with Yoda before or was under "orders" not to disclose information as previously stated. Yoda is not going to remember it.

When 900 years old you reach, remember one single droid from thousands you will not.

Apart for the fact that Anakin built 3PO, so he was pretty unique.

It's probably more likely that Yoda and Obi-Wan saying they knew R2 would raise questions that they weren't ready to answer and (in The Unseen Queen) R2 showed great reluctance in showing Luke anything because of the heart breaking turn of Anakin to the dark side so I doubt he would have wanted to bring it up and have to answer more questions as well.

Because Episode V came out in 1980 and Episodes I, II, and III came out in 1999, 2002, and 2005, respectively.

I don't understand why so many people completely ignore this fact...and act as if the movie timelines actually happened in order.

Now...you could ask the question of why Lucas has not made any changes to these scenes...

...but you simply cannot seriously ask questions like the OP...when you know that the prequels were made decades later.

I don't understand why so many people completely ignore this fact...and act as if the movie timelines actually happened in order.

Now...you could ask the question of why Lucas has not made any changes to these scenes...

...but you simply cannot seriously ask questions like the OP...when you know that the prequels were made decades later.

Obviously everyone is aware of that, its called a plot hole. The purpose of this thread is asking if said plot hole has been filled, and if not how it could be filled. Unlike some we don't feel the need to state the obvious. :rolleyes:

Obviously everyone is aware of that, its called a plot hole. The purpose of this thread is asking if said plot hole has been filled, and if not how it could be filled. Unlike some we don't feel the need to state the obvious. :rolleyes:

I apologize...it's just the way that some of the posts read.

They read as if they think there really is an answer to the question posed by the OP.

Anyways, I see what you're saying.

Edited by VitalityPrime