Since everyone else is doing it...

cornedbeef

My personal list of pros and cons, since everyone else has decided to post this stuff...

(level 25 consular)

Pros:

- Combat is very good

- The quest system is very good.

- It feels like starwars.

Cons:

- The games planets feel as though they have been entirely built around the quests, rather than there being a world, populated by npcs, who just happen to have quests to do. (Ie the MMO is wayyy to much of a theme park to feel as though the planets matter)

- The planets aren't planets. They are a series of instances. I cant for example just wander off and explore the deserts of tatoonie... (as i could in SWG, and as i can in any world/area in wow)

- STEAL WOWS DUNGEON FINDER FFS!!! Its annoying and daft to have to spend 30 minutes spamming lfg....

- Not every person on the planet likes having a useless thing follow them around the entire game. Have an option to turn the companion off, and give the player increased stats to compensate.

- Introduce brackets into pvp.

- UI mods. Please.

- Space combat is a joke. An on the rails shooter? Come on!

All in all I'm pretty confident I will be quitting this game as soon as Guildwars 2 launches...

I actually agree with mostly everything he said, however they will fix things, add content later on so I won't even worry or complain about it. Although complaining is good for business in some ways. My only rant is that Bioware gets rid of the instancing in the worlds. I kills the mmo feel. :|

I pretty much agree with you. Space combat is I hope just a placeholder right now for the real space combat in the future. Companions - I really do not want to have a companion follow me all the time. I hate playing pet classes and I really hate being forced to use a pet. Unfortunately we have to use them most of the time because they allow much easier soloing and make finishing some single player quests possible.

You weren't actually expecting this MMO to be a non-themepark MMO, were you? It was clear from the get-go that this would be the go-to themepark MMO. I personally play it for the story, as I'm positive a good number of people do as well.

I understood this, but I an still see how the panet structure is a con. Not a rage complaint, but more open areas would be nice even if its a themepark.

It feels like going to Disneyland but you cant lounge around anywhere, just run from ride to ride. Which is odd for an MMO, even themepark ones.

I understood this, but I an still see how the panet structure is a con. Not a rage complaint, but more open areas would be nice even if its a themepark.

It feels like going to Disneyland but you cant lounge around anywhere, just run from ride to ride. Which is odd for an MMO, even themepark ones.

This is exactly how i feel. They have completely missed the point of MMO.

- Not every person on the planet likes having a useless thing follow them around the entire game. Have an option to turn the companion off, and give the player increased stats to compensate.

Why would you get increased stats? The game definitely doesn't force you to use a companion. I know plenty of people that have their companion off crafting the entire time. If you run into problems, enlist the aid of a fellow player. There isn't any reason why you should get increased stats because you choose not to use the companion that you are perfectly capable of using.

Why would you get increased stats? The game definitely doesn't force you to use a companion. I know plenty of people that have their companion off crafting the entire time. If you run into problems, enlist the aid of a fellow player. There isn't any reason why you should get increased stats because you choose not to use the companion that you are perfectly capable of using.

Why should I be punished for wanting to not be a pet class?

Its perfectly fine that people like companions, but not everyone does.

There is no reason why a person who doesn't like companions should be at a disadvantage when questing. (obviously the stat bonus would disappear anywhere where companions do, such a pvp and flashpoints)

This is exactly how i feel. They have completely missed the point of MMO.

Funny, I don't feel that way at all. I think they've combined a lot of traditional MMO aspects along with a few single-player RPG aspects into a game I really like. No, it doesn't have a billion people crammed into every zone,but personally, I like it that way. Then again, I tend to play on low-pop servers in other games to avoid that kind of thing.

In any case, they certasinly haven't "missed the point" of an MMO by any means. I have to wonder what you think "the point" is.

Stop the victim act; you aren't being "punished" if you choose not to use a feature everyone else has. You're gimping yourself, and it's all on you. Punishment is something rettributive other people do to you, and you not liking companions comes nowhere near that definition.

Its perfectly fine that people like companions, but not everyone does.

There is no reason why a person who doesn't like companions should be at a disadvantage when questing. (obviously the stat bonus would disappear anywhere where companions do, such a pvp and flashpoints)

You aren't playing a petclass, none of the classes are pet classes. You just get a companion that you can choose to use or not to use.

Spoiler: You can totally play just fine without the companion.

Stop the victim act; you aren't being "punished" if you choose not to use a feature everyone else has. You're gimping yourself, and it's all on you. Punishment is something rettributive other people do to you, and you not liking companions comes nowhere near that definition.

In every MMO I've played, I have avoided the pet class. Now this has never been a problem to me as there has always been at least one alternative, none pet class.

Now this non pet class is equally balanced against the class with the pet, hence by choosing to play the non pet class I am still equal, with the class that has the pet.

Here, in this game, if I choose not to use a pet, I am not on an equal par with others and hence I have been punished by being made less effective.

This is wrong.

Since the buff I am proposing doesn't effect PVP or flashpoints, and will only effect content I do solo, I must ask - Why are you so against giving players like myself a small buff to accommodate more play styles into the game?

Edited by cornedbeef

You aren't playing a petclass, none of the classes are pet classes. You just get a companion that you can choose to use or not to use.

Spoiler: You can totally play just fine without the companion.

I am a pet class. To play my class most effectively I must use the pet, hence I am a pet class.

Using your logic, the hunter in wow is not a pet class as you can choose to use or not to use the pet?

Funny, I don't feel that way at all. I think they've combined a lot of traditional MMO aspects along with a few single-player RPG aspects into a game I really like. No, it doesn't have a billion people crammed into every zone,but personally, I like it that way. Then again, I tend to play on low-pop servers in other games to avoid that kind of thing.

In any case, they certasinly haven't "missed the point" of an MMO by any means. I have to wonder what you think "the point" is.

MMO to me normally suggests a non linear open world, with other players. In this game you are essentially being pushed down to same story as everyone else. There are just a million people playing co op on the same game at once.

I am a pet class. To play my class most effectively I must use the pet, hence I am a pet class.

Using your logic, the hunter in wow is not a pet class as you can choose to use or not to use the pet?

The difference is that hunter dps is specifically tied to the pets and their abilities in WoW - especially if you've gone beast mastery. It's not the same in TOR - no class requires a companion for boosting their personal DPS. We don't have the equivalent of beast mastery, and we're certainly not like a demo spec warlock (I have one of those).

Stop crying about being forced to do something (using companions) that you're not actually actually forced to do.

I think if you expanded upon the pros list beyond three short sentences (14 words total), it might add a lot of credence to your post.

As for the negatives, I don't agree with the dungeon finder personally, the whole companion complaint you made, or space combat (I think it is great and would like to see it expanded upon eventually).

I don't care about pvp brackets, so no comment. I would like to see the UI expanded eventually, but not game breaking.

I do agree the worlds could have been more open, but on the flip side, they are filled with content and not just empty masses a la SWG. Open land is cool, but it doesn't get used much in reality, so the value of creating it goes way down. Sure it is cool that WoW has lots of open territory... but where do the majority of players spend most of their time? (hint: most people don't wander the open wastes very much)

Cons:

- The games planets feel as though they have been entirely built around the quests, rather than there being a world, populated by npcs, who just happen to have quests to do. (Ie the MMO is wayyy to much of a theme park to feel as though the planets matter)

I'm not sure that's a Con.

The difference is that hunter dps is specifically tied to the pets and their abilities in WoW - especially if you've gone beast mastery. It's not the same in TOR - no class requires a companion for boosting their personal DPS. We don't have the equivalent of beast mastery, and we're certainly not like a demo spec warlock (I have one of those).

Stop crying about being forced to do something (using companions) that you're not actually actually forced to do.

I dont understand your argument?

In my solo play I am being forced to use my pet to play my character most effectively :S.

I return for not using my pet I lose his healing/dps/tanking and hence I am less effective...

If I want to play my character to his maximum potential I must use my pet.

This is as opposed to say, a warrior in WOW, where he has no pet and hence to play his class most efficiently he does not need to use his pet.

Now, I am not advocating the deletion of companions, I'm just asking for a small buff in return for not using them to fight with. Ie, so instead of me doing 500 dps and my companion 200, I will do 650 dps. Again, this is in solo play only. Anywhere were companions disappear so will the buff....

I think if you expanded upon the pros list beyond three short sentences (14 words total), it might add a lot of credence to your post.

As for the negatives, I don't agree with the dungeon finder personally, the whole companion complaint you made, or space combat (I think it is great and would like to see it expanded upon eventually).

I don't care about pvp brackets, so no comment. I would like to see the UI expanded eventually, but not game breaking.

I do agree the worlds could have been more open, but on the flip side, they are filled with content and not just empty masses a la SWG. Open land is cool, but it doesn't get used much in reality, so the value of creating it goes way down. Sure it is cool that WoW has lots of open territory... but where do the majority of players spend most of their time? (hint: most people don't wander the open wastes very much)

I agree that much of the open land is ignored in wow, but it is really nice while you are doing content in that area for it to actually feel like an area, and not a series of instances, but maybe that is just me? For example, there is no reason to stop people from being able to walk/ride in the deserts of tatoonie vertically down from anchorhead? (i think that's the town) to the next quest hub. Its immersion breaking, and for me completely kills the entire planet.

You honestly think the space combat is great? Do you not see the potential they've missed here? Allowing players to actually pilot there own ship and decide where they wanted to go would be so much better than this linear on the rails shooter we have... That never changes.

Out of interest, why do you not agree with the dungeon finder? Do you like struggling to find groups? (serious question)

- STEAL WOWS DUNGEON FINDER FFS!!! Its annoying and daft to have to spend 30 minutes spamming lfg....

And after those 30 minutes of spamming LFG, how likely are you to act like a complete dick and just get another group if people have a problem with it? Far less than with a dungeon finder you say? suits me fine.

Edited by aimbotcfg

And after those 30 minutes of spamming LFG, how likely are you to act like a complete dick and just get another group if people have a problem with it? Far less than with a dungeon finder you say? suits me fine.

Yes dungeon finder has its flaws, but id much rather be playing with a dick(and leave/kick him if it gets to much) that stood around doing nothing...

I never realised how much people disliked wows dungeon finder. I never really had any issues with it, then again I was always a tank or healer so maybe people just act differently depending on how valuable your class is? :S