20 bucks for a one use dye, REALLY?

BrianDavion

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes price has fallen, but 2M for a single use item you can't even extract and keep for YOUR character is ridiculous. They need to make dyes collectible and bound to legacy. I think I could live with the prices then.

Some things in MMOs, particularly vanity items, are meant to be rare and difficult to acquire. This has historically been true for dyes in many MMOs. So this really should not be a shock to you or anyone else. Would you feel better if they put the B/B dye behind a boss in HM ops? The net effect on availability and pricing on the GTN would be about the same. Or... go the Blizzard approach and put them on raid bosses and make them bind on pickup? Oh yeah.. that would be a shiny fun thing wouldn't it.

Further.. while I understand the desire to have dyes Collectable the fact is you only need one for your entire gear set and rare items should be reserved for mature characters that are at level cap. Again.. not as bad a hardship as some make it out to be....unless they are changing chest pieces every week on sub-level cap characters.. which frankly is a choice not a requirement.

As for the # of black/black's on GTN, I believe you will see that fall more and more. I'm not sure how well they sell or how fast they move, but I believe plenty of people purchased them during the short window they were available from the CM and that is why you see more posted on the GTN. For a week and a half time prior to their limited release, there were no black dyes on GTN for my server.

My point here is that they are readily available in game from other players, and will be even more so now that random dye packs are not the only way to acquire them. And the relative price on the CM and in game on the GTN is now about 20% of what it was when they were only in random dye packs.

These items, like some other items in game, will never be popcorn for the masses. I'm fine with that.. because it has always been that way in MMOs... just the particular item varies from MMO to MMO. I remember black and white dyes being silly high prices in Rift.... and I needed one for each piece of gear.. and there were no collections feature either.

The core issue in this thread is people cannot disconnect game economics from CM economics and compulsion to acquire. I too think $20 for a dye is silly.. but I also know that in this games economy.. I never have to spend real money for anything in the CM either... so the whole indignation performance is quite contrived by some and is an attempt to whine and complain Bioware into dropping the prices. Market demand will dictate pricing, both in the CM and in game. IF Bioware got the price points wrong from a market standpoint (which I honestly doubt in this case).. sales will be soft, and like everything else in the CM.. they will reduce prices and offer sales discounts on items to move them.

Edited by Andryah

I think it's awesome. Players who want black dye now have 3 options to obtain it. Well, 4.

1) Buy it from CM for $20 worth of Cartel Coins.

2) Buy Gambling Packs from CM until you get it. Might take you $2, might take you $200. That's the "fun" of gambling!

3) Figure out how to make ingame currency, save 2-5 million, and buy it from GTN.

4) Buy Cartel Gambling Packs and post them unopened to GTN, repeat until you have enough credits to buy the dye pack you want from GTN.

You might notice that one of those options costs you exactly $0... :rolleyes:

Edited by DarthTHC

I think it's awesome. Players who want black dye now have 3 options to obtain it. Well, 4.

1) Buy it from CM for $20 worth of Cartel Coins.

2) Buy Gambling Packs from CM until you get it. Might take you $2, might take you $200. That's the "fun" of gambling!

3) Figure out how to make ingame currency, save 2-5 million, and buy it from GTN.

4) Buy Cartel Gambling Packs and post them unopened to GTN, repeat until you have enough credits to buy the dye pack you want from GTN.

You might notice that one of those options costs you exactly $0... :rolleyes:

I took the 0$ dollar option and paid a lot less the 2 mill creds. It is a very sweet option tbh. :D

Ah... but this thread is alive and well. Much preferred over the gimped Assassins thread. Just an observation before anyone flies off the handle. :rolleyes:

Andryah, told you this was next. Lol!

Edited by Rafaman

So nice of you to diligently seek me out again. Not sure how one can get winning and losing out of dirt & vanity. Though I'm sure on your planet all four words are somehow related. :confused:

As pointed out by Reno, it was a quote from the Sphinx in Mystery Men. He had a secret power of saying things that simultaneously make little sense while sounding profound... and terribly mysterious.

And in other news... the cost of B/B dyes has fallen to around 2M credits (persistently) on Harbinger.. and there are way more of them listed on the GTN. That's a good thing.. for people who would like to spend in game wealth to get them instead of real life wealth. Prices will continue to drop I'm sure as more sales cycles pop on the CM... since everyone will know to watch for them and grab them that wants to buy them directly from the CM.

And on Ebon Hawk they are now up to 7.5 million. So much for this 4 hour stealth addition lowering the price. That was never going to lower the price. Still, Bioware and EA have COMPLETELY ignored the frustrations that have vented on this dye system from day 1.

And on Ebon Hawk they are now up to 7.5 million. So much for this 4 hour stealth addition lowering the price. That was never going to lower the price. Still, Bioware and EA have COMPLETELY ignored the frustrations that have vented on this dye system from day 1.

Still about 2M on Harbinger and still plenty for sale.

Apparently the players on Ebon Hawk don't know how to free-market-economy.

Actually it dipped below 2 mill now. And... Ironically, Black on White and White on White are much more expensive. Heh. Looks like I got a great deal!

Shall we keep a running update on the price? Nah, the point is the price is dropping. Players that wanted to buy from the CM did will continue to do so the next time it is available. Those that want to buy from GTN are and paying $0 additional dollars for the pricey bauble. What's left? Those that claim that it is an outrage... but the room is empty.

Yeah. Either that or the players on Ebon Hawk, it being a role playing server, put much more value on "fluff" than players on a non-RP server.

For the record. I check regularly on the GTN (Ebon Hawk). There was no change in the availability of or the prices of W/W or B/B dyes. Still cost about 1000 times what a cosmetic item should and still near impossible to find.

• 3 weeks later...
Unless its permanently re useable 20 bucks for a one time use cosmetic item is absurd

Yeah, you're right, but I guess you're forgetting your dealing with EA here, the third greediest slime bags after Monsanto and the international banking cartel that owns the FED.

Yeah. Either that or the players on Ebon Hawk, it being a role playing server, put much more value on "fluff" than players on a non-RP server.

For the record. I check regularly on the GTN (Ebon Hawk). There was no change in the availability of or the prices of W/W or B/B dyes. Still cost about 1000 times what a cosmetic item should and still near impossible to find.

As of 10-13-2013, on The Red Eclipse, black/black dye is at 8 million, black/purple dye is at 7 million and black/white dye is at 6 million on GTN.

Ridiculous.

I laugh cuz u talking all the time for so long for the crapiest dye system ever

i love dye system i really want to add my favorite colors but the dye system is a failure (and not only the dye in this game)

Edited by Kissakias