BioWare/EA: Please implement this mail function:

Pax_Sanatio

I, like many SWTOR players, have a few alts. And some of those alts are opposite faction, some Republic, some Empire. And from time to time (nearly everyday), I send items back and forth from Republic to Empire toons and back again.

So in the Mail composition window, in the mail recipient section, I can autofill the names of my friends and guildmates, But NOT my same server alts. Why? Why bioware/EA, why?

Oh sure I can type the name of the alt, and I do do that pretty well.

But what if it's that rare occasion, when something goes wrong, when the named typed is so close to my alt name but one letter was too much. Or what if I have a strange character in the name (which I don't but for argument sake, let's say I do) that takes a few tricks to type? What's to save me from sending items or credits intended to go to my alt but get send to someone else?

Most of the time, this is not an issue, but on that rare occasion that I mistype a name of an opposite faction alt and send them, let's say, four SUPER RARE items and then never receive the items on my alt, *** am I to do? Customer Service won't help as it is not their problem I mistyped the name. There's no log I have access to to see who I accidentally sent the stuff to. And yeah that's on me, so someone out there got some really, really, REALLY good items because of my goof, but that could have been prevented if my alts all appeared in the Mail to autofill.

Even this error could have been possibly fixed if I had access to a running log of what I sent to who. I could find my own error and plead with the person I missent the items too. Maybe I could get them back, maybe the person would be kind, or maybe, just maybe, I could find out at least know what toon out there got those super fn' rare items I sent to them.

Yeah, yeah, I know. My fault for typing to fast or having an alt named so close to someone else where one to many 's's ended up in the name. Kinda crappy but there's always hope.

So, in conclusion...

TL;DR - Please add all my alts to my in-game autofill mail recipient list. And give me a way to see what I've sent to who and when.

Thanks

I've had the same thought. Particularly during Bounty Week when I was sending completed contracts from a whole bunch of Republic alts to my operative.

From my perspective, they wouldn't even have to pull my list of alts - just give me the option to autofill the last dozen or so recipients. That would be fine for me. I'm rarely mailing stuff to other people.

While mistyping is certainly the player's fault, I have to feel sorry for those folks with long, complex names full of accented characters/letters with umlauts/whatever. It must be a pain to type those out every single time. I don't believe the average player thinks of this as a potential problem when selecting a name.

You already can, if they're the same faction. Add them to your friend's list and or be in the same guild.

thats only a partial resolution, and not what the OP is looking for. we know we can add friends. the suggestion is simple to add. it's not rocket science, and it would go a long ways towards smoothing out mail between alts.

I'd also add to that a few mail features...totally escapes me why they don't have these in the game already.

1) Re-iterate the need for a memory function. last 10, last 12, whatever. autofills when you hit tab/enter/whatever.

2) AUTOMATICALLY place the cursor in the name field. can't tell you how many times i've misclicked trying to put the cursor in the field, start typing, and next thing I know, my toons hopping up and down and casting stuff and I have 10 windows open. It's actually caused me more frustration then I would have imagined. very simple fix.

3) in the same vein, PLEASE LEAVE US IN THE MAIL WINDOW WHEN WE CLICK THE SEND BUTTON. again, it is very irritating when you send multiple mails to have to click the send tab EVERY TIME you want to send a new mail. defaulting back to the inbox is silly since we will have probably already read the mail in there, or don't want to. keep us in the tab we choose until we select another. its simply wasted time, and a very easy fix.

So far they've done a great job with improving the little qualities of life. these are simply a few others that would go a huge ways towards that for many of us serious Alt'ers/crafters.

I haven't really tried.. But for spamming purposes.. I hope they never allow mail to be sent to more than one recipient..

Sending to more than one is just making it easier for the credit sellers..

I know it makes it more difficult for us. But in the name of my mail box not being spammed with a bunch of unwanted stuff..

Deal with it.. :)

This doesn't solve the issue, but in the mean time if you're worried about sending valuable goods to the wrong character then I suggest sending a piece of legacy gear along with it. It won't let you mail a legacy piece to someone not in your legacy. Edited by MillionsKNives

This.

I do transfers of crafting materials, mods, legacy items, GTN purchases, and cash all the time and every time I have some small anxiety that I will mistype and send 300k creds or 40 alusteel to some random stranger. Seems so obvious to me that alts in your legacy would be in your autofill drop down that it shocks me a little that they aren't.

I feel your pain OP, done that a couple times myself. Now while it is obviously not a "solution" to the problem, one way to avoid this from happening with those high value mail transfers to an Alt is to toss a piece of legacy gear in there too. That way if you goof the name and put in a name that belongs to someone else it'll automatically kick it back instead of losing it possibly forever.

Edit: Ooops, looks like someone beat me to it.

Edited by Hyfy

I haven't really tried.. But for spamming purposes.. I hope they never allow mail to be sent to more than one recipient..

Sending to more than one is just making it easier for the credit sellers..

I know it makes it more difficult for us. But in the name of my mail box not being spammed with a bunch of unwanted stuff..

Deal with it.. :)

I hope they never do too. But the OP wasn't asking for that. he was asking for the ability to have a list of names, similar to how we have our guild names, but with all the characters in our legacy on it (including opposite fraction) so we wouldn't have to manually type them in all the time.

But I agree....being able to send mail to multiple recipients outside of your guild (guild mail is different) would be abused by the spammers. don't need that. we just need a few small QoL upgrades is all.