Has bioware got the jedi roles wrong

TominatorBriss

hi there i done some digging in some info on jedi and this is what i found.

Jedi Guardian (known as Warrior Master)

mini classes:

Jedi Ace

Lightsaber instructor

Jedi Peacekeeper

Jedi Consular (known as Sage Master)

mini classes:

Jedi Ambassador

Jedi Diplomat

Jedi healer

Jedi Lore Keeper

Jedi Researcher

Jedi Seer

Jedi Sentinel (half Guardian and half Consular)

mini classes:

Jedi investigator

Jedi Shadow

Jedi Watchman

This is taken from Wookieepedia

so are the current swtor classes wrong ??

Also seen as jedi are at war with the sith

In times of war, especially when Sith forces were involved, Jedi would sometimes assume military ranks and govern armies of Republic military units, as was seen in the Mandalorian Wars, the Jedi Civil War, the New Sith Wars, and the Clone Wars. So Jedi indeed became soldiers, not just keepers of the peace. During the New Sith Wars, the Order created the Army of Light, a massive military branch that consisted of the majority of active Jedi.

Jedi Commander – A Padawan serving as a Commander in the Grand Army of the Republic, the Jedi Commander was assigned to a Jedi General until knighted. Once a full Jedi, the Padawan was then referred to as General.

Jedi General – Jedi Knights or Masters who had been placed in command of a Republic army were dubbed Generals. Twenty of the most experienced Generals were raised to the rank of Senior Jedi General, leading troops and designing tactics for the war effort. Out of the twelve High Council members, ten of them became High Jedi Generals not only commanding their own army, but also supervising all other ranking Jedi.

Jedi Lord – a Jedi who served as a commander in the Army of Light during the New Sith Wars. The Jedi Lord assumed this title mainly out of political motivation. The rank was abolished after the war.

so has bioware made a mistake ??

Edited by TominatorBriss

it's the EU. so no. That's what the EU is about. Not having to adhere to each other. Since, you know. It's not "canon" and really doesn't matter outside of the odd tidbit Lucas did actually take from it.

In SWTOR's SW EU Universe...the Jedi roles are what they're supposed to be.

using EU as a guide to calling something in SW "wrong".......lol

The in game advanced class names are merely for the purposes of the game, they have no real connection with the lore.

I wouldn't say they have NO connection, just limited at times. I think they pulled a lot from their prior old republic games. I mean obviously Watchman being a skill tree in the Sentinel class isn't completely coincidental :p

Thanks for letting me know just in some other websites this game along with kortor 1 and 2 are fitted in with cannon

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi for more info

Revan is mentioned so i would assume that this is cannon along with the 1st great sith war mando wars, jedi civil wars and also this war the 2nd great sith war

Edited by TominatorBriss

Thanks for letting me know just in some other websites this game along with kortor 1 and 2 are fitted in with cannon

Keep in mind that this game was developed with LucasArts paying close attention -- don't know how true it is now (since Disney purchased 'em) but everything was approved.

Knights of the Old Republic is the first mention of Jedi Sentinel.

So, no. They certainly don't have that one wrong. Sith Marauder and Juggernaut are from the KOTOR/TOR series as well, I'm not certain about the others as they were mentioned in literature around KOTOR's time.

edit: Found something on the Star Wars wiki: "The use of the term Jedi Consular was originally limited to the Star Wars Roleplaying Game. However, the term was canonized in The New Essential Chronology and the Knights of the Old Republic comics. "

Edited by Glumish

In my opinion yes, but probably not in the way you mean.

I would have made the Jedi/Sith a single story with AC's being Knight/Consular and Warrior/Inquisitor, expanded their proficiencies at AC selection, and then made their spec:

Knight - Guardian(Tank)/Sentinel(Dual LS Melee DPS)/Watchman(Melee/Force DPS)

Consular - Seer (Healer)/Shadow(2H LS Force DPS)/Watchman(Melee/Force DPS)

Warrior - Juggernaut(Tank)/Berserker(Dual LS Melee DPS)/Marauder(Melee/Force DPS)

Inquisitor - Sorcerer(Healer)/Assassin(2H LS Force)/Marauder(Melee/Force DPS)

The reason I lean this way is the existing class/AC structure seems to think that certain Jedi/Sith have no clue how to use the force outside of being a good melee fighter, and the other group forgot all their basic training in saber combat. This would allow all Jedi/Sith to have a basic Melee/Force knowledge, but can specialize in one of the other if they so choose.

Edited by Yungscion

The reason I lean this way is the existing class/AC structure seems to think that certain Jedi/Sith have no clue how to use the force outside of being a good melee fighter, and the other group forgot all their basic training in saber combat. This would allow all Jedi/Sith to have a basic Melee/Force knowledge, but can specialize in one of the other if they so choose.

That is an accurate and humorous way to look at it. I don't think the game would be as interesting were that changed, though. I like having ranged dps jedi/sith specs even if the lightsaber in those roles is superfluous.

I wouldn't say they have NO connection, just limited at times. I think they pulled a lot from their prior old republic games. I mean obviously Watchman being a skill tree in the Sentinel class isn't completely coincidental :p

All I mean is just that the distinctions are just names, and only matter within the context of this particular game and that people should not get too bent out of shape about them not conforming to other archetypes with similar names that exist within the (sprawling, non canon and hilariously contradictory) EU

All I mean is just that the distinctions are just names, and only matter within the context of this particular game and that people should not get too bent out of shape about them not conforming to other archetypes with similar names that exist within the (sprawling, non canon and hilariously contradictory) EU

This is all completely right except for the description of the EU as "non canon".

This is all completely right except for the description of the EU as "non canon".

Well that depends on how you're defining canon I guess. I imagine some people (myself included) consider anything outside the movies to not be canon. I can't remember the classification they have for that. Is that G?

Well that depends on how you're defining canon I guess. I imagine some people (myself included) consider anything outside the movies to not be canon. I can't remember the classification they have for that. Is that G?

Yeah, G-canon is "movies + whatever George Lucas says". The second part of that is often problematic due to how often Lucas contradicts himself or retcons earlier statements, but whatever.

There are still two levels of objective canon below that. This isn't Star Trek, where you can ignore most of the franchise if you so desire.

Edited by Euphrosyne

Yeah, G-canon is "movies + whatever George Lucas says". The second part of that is often problematic due to how often Lucas contradicts himself or retcons earlier statements, but whatever.

There are still two levels of objective canon below that. This isn't Star Trek, where you can ignore most of the franchise if you so desire.

Well you could until Lucas sold it all to Disney at any rate. Now there's no real chance of him coming in and making another movie that contradicts entire series of books :p

Course, I suspect Disney is about to do just that.

Edited by hadoken

Yes. Star Trek has a tiny bit of internal logical consistency, Star Wars doesn't.

The silliness of both Star Trek and Star Wars is part of their huge appeal as escapist entertainment.

Neither of them are Dune and both ST and SW are laughable when they try to be serious.

You google Star Wars Expanded Universe and get the list of what George Lucas has authorized as Canon. However, after what Lucas did to his OT canon, pretty much means that anything goes. :(

You google Star Wars Expanded Universe and get the list of what George Lucas has authorized as Canon. However, after what Lucas did to his OT canon, pretty much means that anything goes. :(

Google "Leland Chee" or "Keeper of the Holocron". There's an actual setup in place for this, created by Lucas Licensing.

I actually thought the Sentinel would be akin to KOTOR1 and 2 and be a half and half, all rounder with an extra crew skill, but obviously not. :p

I do wish my Knight was a bit more force-y and I do wish my Consular could... use his glowstick.

/agreed

Exactly. Character class names are completely arbitrary and meaningless in an IC context. They might just as well have called the Jedi ACs "heavy tank/DPS Jedi," "sneaky tank/DPS Jedi," "heal/DPS Jedi" and "nothing but DPS Jedi." But people would have complained that that was uncreative.