Treek: Going too far?

Solzean

I'm not here to complain about adding an Ewok. To be quite honest, anyone who is complaining about that is just nitpicking. My big issue is the pricing model for her.

Cartel Coins - 2100 coins

The BIG issue with this, is that with a 500 coin monthly allotment we would need to save up 5 months to get her. I have always believed in this game and that they would not too anything too crazy to screw subscribers, but honestly they are screwing us here. The coins have always been something I have been somewhat grateful for, however, if they are going to be giving us companions or other (what i consider) important story and unique gameplay elements (she is tank/healer) in which we need to spend 20$ for....you must be kidding me. I paid them 10$ for Rise of the Hutt Cartel which im sure was far more work than this simple companion. This is just a terrible money to actual time spent ratio.

Oh but dont worry you can get it in game......with.....Legacy lvl 40 and 1 million credits?

This is what is beyond me. If they didnt make her so damned hard to get via in game methods I honestly wouldnt have as much a complaint because the cartel coins were so damned expensive. I should mention I am legacy lvl 42 with 15 million credits, I can afford this easily. However I also realize that with all the time I have put into this game I barely meet the legacy lvl requirement. The credits while easy to make for me, don't come so easy to others.

So my big question for Bioware is this: Was your goal to make this Companion a reward ONLY for those who have been very dedicated to the game? (thus the lvl 40 requirement) If so, I understand the outrageous price you are charging in cartel coins. If the goal is that when you see someone with Treek you say DAMN that guy has dedication! (or money to waste)

In my own humble opinion I really think you guys are over reaching on this one even if it is for the dedicated player. What makes someone with a higher legacy level that dedicated. Isnt someone who plays only 1 main going to have a much harder time obtaining her? I am not here to complain so much as try to understand the reasoning behind the pricing. Are you going to be releasing much more of this content that you either perform a massive grind for, or pay you guys 20$? Is this a very unique event? I truly am worried about you guys if you do plan on doing this more often. I am annoyed enough at the prevalence of cool items only being on the cartel market as is, but if you are trying to make all but the most dedicated player pay you 20$ to enjoy someone like Treek and it is a purely financial decision, I worry.

TLDR: Cmon Bioware, 20$ or a massive grind?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm slightly disappointing with the cartel pricing... I was hoping it would be somewhere in the 1200 cartel coin range but this is a bit much if you ask me. I would buy it with credits but I just switched to a EU server and my legacy doesn't transfer so I have no way to hit level 40 anytime soon. So that leaves Cartel Coins and it's pretty ridiculous.

Honestly, if they do decide to make it so that this is a once a year kind of thing they do for those with high legacy levels, I can accept that. However, if that is the supposed reason for it, take away the 1 million credit fee. Just make it a fun reward for those who have played the game and worked hard on their legacy.

If you registered a Authorization Key to your account, you get 600 CC, so you'd be done around four months or so.

Besides, you can wait four months. She's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Unless some handsome, young, awesome Sith Lord happened to blow up a certain forest moon before she gets a chance to leave it by using a time travel Force spell and a deadly space laser thing.

Honestly, if they do decide to make it so that this is a once a year kind of thing they do for those with high legacy levels, I can accept that. However, if that is the supposed reason for it, take away the 1 million credit fee. Just make it a fun reward for those who have played the game and worked hard on their legacy.

If it were a reward for those who "worked hard" on their legacy, no one would qualify.

Re: the OP, if 2100 CC is too expensive, don't buy it. I know I won't be. "Problem" solved.

Edited by branmakmuffin

I'm slightly disappointing with the cartel pricing... I was hoping it would be somewhere in the 1200 cartel coin range but this is a bit much if you ask me. I would buy it with credits but I just switched to a EU server and my legacy doesn't transfer so I have no way to hit level 40 anytime soon. So that leaves Cartel Coins and it's pretty ridiculous.

This is one of my biggest issues with the pricing. I feel like people like you get screwed which is unfortunate. I do agree, if the price was 1000-1400 I probably wouldnt have decided to write an essay on it, but this one really bothered me a lot more than any else Bioware has done so far. I am more concerned with their future intentions and if they think that this is a fair price.

And once again, if this is SUPPOSED to be a high lvl legacy reward, that is my big concern. If its just for high lvl legacy and the price of the Cartel coins reflects that, cool. But if they now think ANYTHING they release should be priced high for cartel coins, and then they throw out the "well we let you get it in game for a large sum of credits and high lvl legacy" then Ill be quite upset more for friends who play and the future of the game itself.

This is one of my biggest issues with the pricing. I feel like people like you get screwed which is unfortunate. I do agree, if the price was 1000-1400 I probably wouldnt have decided to write an essay on it, but this one really bothered me a lot more than any else Bioware has done so far. I am more concerned with their future intentions and if they think that this is a fair price.

No, if the price were 1400, you'd be in here complaining just as hard.

Attach a key and you're looking at 4 months. Up to you if $20, 4 months, or LL40 and 1 mil is the path. For some the one of those paths is trivial, for others none of them are I guess.

Seems like they're trying to make it 'hard' to obtain (in my situation, it's far from that) and I guess I can respect that. Least they ARE giving in game options. As people have pointed out, this is the 'ultimate' companion being a tank/healer for all your characters.

Edited by hadoken

No, if the price were 1400, you'd be in here complaining just as hard.

No i really wouldn't. The Devs have repeatedly said they want feedback and so I am giving it. I have more than enough cartel coins saved up or credits saved up to buy it. I am not really complaining for my own sake, I am more interested in understand what the thought process is behind the prices. 1400 to me would be on the high end, but I would be far more willing to accept that. Tbh 1200 seems ideal for something like this, 2 months worth of savings with the authenticator is fair to me.

No i really wouldn't. The Devs have repeatedly said they want feedback and so I am giving it. I have more than enough cartel coins saved up or credits saved up to buy it. I am not really complaining for my own sake, I am more interested in understand what the thought process is behind the prices. 1400 to me would be on the high end, but I would be far more willing to accept that. Tbh 1200 seems ideal for something like this, 2 months worth of savings with the authenticator is fair to me.

Please look at my first post and comment accordingly.

I think it should have been $30 or legacy 50. Far too little difficult to obtain items in this care bear game. Time for some stuff that people have to really work toward.

If you want to have people work for it, then leave credits, legacy and the cartel market out of it and have a quest chain instead.

As this game is my primary entertainment outlet, I honestly do love throwing money at this game for useless stuff and legacy unlocks that I just can't afford (making credits isn't a problem for me, it's just that I just end up spending them buying CM gear from the GTN instead of saving them for the big legacy unlocks).

That having been said, 2100 CC for a companion to a single character? No thank you. Plus, if the pricing stays consistent with HK-51, you'll also get charged an additional 350 CC for each extra character that you want this companion for (or else the million credit unlock fee).

I was cool with the companion costing between 400 to 700 CC per character as I'd really only want one or two of my characters to have that companion, but 2100 CC is too rich for my blood.

I think it should have been $30 or legacy 50. Far too little difficult to obtain items in this care bear game. Time for some stuff that people have to really work toward.

As I said, then no one would qualify. This is a game. No hard work required. So if you are "working hard" at it, you're doing it wrong.

If it's such a "care bear" game, and you play, you must be a care bear, too.

Edited by branmakmuffin

You guys realize it's just 2800 cc for a NEW PERMANENT GLOBAL COMPANION FOREVER.

BARGAIN and it's a freaking tank/heal the most useful companion in the game.

Yea, if this is the case and it is the Be all end all companion for those who worked damned hard to get legacy lvl 40, Ill admit I'm fine with the requirement for lvl 40. Though I still think 1 mil is a little high for something someone earned through A LOT of level grinding. Id also probably be fine if 2100 was the price for ALL characters as well with 1400 or so the base. I am mostly interested in if Treek is really is the "ultimate" companion and they dont plan on doing this very often.

Interesting, I wonder if this is BW's answer to those demanding that Treek should be Legacy unlock only? A higher price may put some people off from buying her with CC, and instead force them to wait until they can unlock it via Legacy instead.

The price dose seem a bit high, 2,800 when you consider a Collection unlock as well, but as I am still nine levels away from Legacy 40 (Which is too high anyway I think) I will buy her via the CM.

Yea, if this is the case and it is the Be all end all companion for those who worked damned hard to get legacy lvl 40, Ill admit I'm fine with the requirement for lvl 40. Though I still think 1 mil is a little high for something someone earned through A LOT of level grinding. Id also probably be fine if 2100 was the price for ALL characters as well with 1400 or so the base. I am mostly interested in if Treek is really is the "ultimate" companion and they dont plan on doing this very often.

Again, no one worked hard for anything. They played a game.

If you registered a Authorization Key to your account, you get 600 CC, so you'd be done around four months or so.

Besides, you can wait four months. She's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Unless some handsome, young, awesome Sith Lord happened to blow up a certain forest moon before she gets a chance to leave it by using a time travel Force spell and a deadly space laser thing.

i'm still saving my cartel coins so i can transfer one of the characters that are still split after their poor server management in the beginning. weren't you guys (hadoken too) the same people saying 'you only have to save CCs for a couple months' trying to justify the way bioware screwed the players who might actually like the game when they released server transfers? i still have at least a month to save just to transfer the first of my abandoned characters. i'm not even close to starting to save for this thing. your argument is ridiculous, and i hope you can understand why.

tying this to lore doesn't make sense either. buying ewoks from the cartel market with real-life money was not in the movie anywhere.

this is a pathetic cash grab. that's what the game has become. maybe there will be content as promised in the next update; maybe swtor will turn around and become a game again. but to defend this recent cash grab as anything more than a pathetic and desperate attempt by pathetic and desperate people at pulling in a few more dollars from people already paying them a subscription is a basic denial of reality.

Interesting, I wonder if this is BW's answer to those demanding that Treek should be Legacy unlock only? A higher price may put some people off from buying her with CC, and instead force them to wait until they can unlock it via Legacy instead.

The price dose seem a bit high, 2,800 when you consider a Collection unlock as well, but as I am still nine levels away from Legacy 40 (Which is too high anyway I think) I will buy her via the CM.

This situation is more what I am worried about. Are they planning on making a lot of new unlocks Lvl 40 to then get people such as yourself to invest real life money in it? Or is this really their answer to the complaints that high lvl legacy players dont have anything unique?