DPS Juggernaut or DPS Assassin

Rakamy

I am hopping the community can help me out a bit with this dilemma. Basically I am trying to decide my next imperial class. I have narrowed it down to the DPS Juggernaut or DPS Assassin.

I am coming from a gunnery background (commando) so I like that the assassin has some ranged attacks as well as melee and (at least on paper) seem to be a good bridge between the two play styles. However on the other hand I have been reading they are hard to learn and master to their full potential.

As for the juggernaut they are in some sense the polar opposite in that they have few ranged attacks but seem to be very easy to master in terms of a pure DPS build. Whereas most of their attacks are melee and I am not sure how hard of a transition from a pure ranged toon to full melee it will be for me.

That being said what do you all think? DPS Juggernaut or DPS Assassin?

From what I have been reading around the web marauders are hard to learn when looking at an intro into this game's melee combat system

the one spec shared by a juggernaut and a marauder is the easiest spec to play in the game, you use literally five moves.

If you level from 1-55 as a marauder you will effectively be learning the melee class as you level. YOu start off with only a few moves and it grows as you level and so you start adding more and more to the rotation but you are comfortable with the previous rotation and it becomes easy to just add 1 more move into your old rotation. After a while you have all the moves and a full rotation and you are set.

The differences between annihilation and carnage is basically using annihilate vs gore, viscous slash vs massacre, and rupture vs force scream. I respec often and these are the only moves you have to change around and the class is essentially use everything on CD. I don't have a jugg DPS but from what I know they also use a priority move system where you just use everything on CD basically. Sin madness is just refresh dots and thrash.

TL;DR I don't think marauders are any more difficult than a jugg or a sin if that is your concern and you will learn how to play melee just by leveling regardless of the class you choose.

Marauder is great for DPS for sure! But if you like the look of the Jugg or Assassin more then go with one of those! Jugg is more viable then an Assassin for PvE DPS right now, but that will likely change. PvP the assassin has the slight edge IMO.

Marauder does a bit more DPS then the Jugg in PvE and has some amazing defensive CDs for PvP, but I personally prefer the Jugg play style then the Marauder. Go with what you want man!

They are both capable of clearing content. Compared with a Commando, you will find it a lot harder to do the same dps on an assassin. Sin's have the potential to do reasonably high dps, but requires the class to be played near-perfectly if not perfectly. If you want a toon you can jump on and chill out, definitely go the Jugg. If you want a challenge then go with either.

Juggernaut for the win. You have two options. Rage, which does great AOE damage and Vengeance that does great single target damage and respectable AOE damage. I'm biased more toward Juggs/Guardians even though I have a Marauder and a Sentinel and 2 guardians but on different servers.

With Juggs, you get great dps abilities only slightly less DPS than a Marauder (although in the right hands a Jugg can out-dps a Marauder). One of the things I love about my Guardian is I get force push which Marauders/Sentinels don't get. There's definitely plenty of pluses to having a Marauder but never count a Jugg down either. You get heavy armor, force scream that hits hard when procced, force push (which I love in PvP), the iconic 1 saber look which is more in line with the movies and books (think Darth Vader, Darth Sidious, Darth Bane, Dooku etc) and awsome CDs...theres more but it's better to experience than talk about.

I won't lie, I love my Marauder and Sentinel but to me Guardians and Juggernauts are ripped right from the movies and books whereas you only see a couple of dual-wielding Jedi or Sith.

Sin's have the potential to do reasonably high dps, but requires the class to be played near-perfectly if not perfectly.

The top end performance of *either* Shadow spec is still lower than what the top end of every other AC can manage with one or more of their specs. To compound this, the level of precision required to reach the top end level of performance requires a level of precision (for Balance, reapplying DoTs at the *exact* right time) and observation (for Infiltration, watching Shadow Technique procs like a hawk to avoid having FB proc Shadow Technique and slowing your Breaching Shadows stack generation by 1/3rd) than any other spec out there.

Basically, Shadows require more work and get less DPS than any other AC. Pretty much the only reason to play a Shadow at the moment is simply because you enjoy playing a Shadow enough that you can ignore their terrible performance everywhere.

There is 1 thing you need to know.Juggernauts atack animations are slow and clunky.It fits the Guardian more.And the playstyle fits more a jedi.If you want sith warrior,go with marauder.

There isn't any reason you shouldn't play both marauder and assassin.They are different classes with different stories.Why chose only 1 of them?

Edited by Kaedusz

• 3 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.