Key Binding: Necessary?

Curmedy

From personal experience, keybinding is something to get used to, but it pays off. I got a Razer Naga and my effectiveness has gone through the roof since I got it. I would also suggest binding the A key to strafe left, and the D key to strafe right, to avoid keyboard turning.

From day one, I've never been a clicker, but definitely a yes to your question. Keybinding just makes everything easier, I've seen people on YouTube who click and can mop the floor with keybinders, but they were obviously bad. However, keybinding does make everything easier.

All clicking just doesn't work for me, but I have found with many of my characters having certain abilities to click is fine. For example, my Gunslinger/Sniper/Commando, & Merc all just click their channeled cone AoE. I only use it for area denial (stopping caps and/or bomb defuses). But for bread and butter attacks/abilities, I keybind. Edited by Master-Nala

Say you need to use an AoE to break a cap. If you click, you need to move your mouse from where it is to the bottom of your screen, click, then move your mouse to middle of your screen to drop the AoE. If you key bind, all you do is hit the bottom and move your mouse to the spot, and drop. As a key binder your mouse will usually already be close to this spot. It may not seem like a lot of time, let's say a second difference, but it could be the difference between a win and a lose.

If you learn to keybing, don't have to key bind everything, you will become a quicker responding player. It will make you better. And if you keyboard turn stop that immediately, just remove turn left and turn right from your keyboard make them strafe left and strafe right. It opens up 2 more spots for other key binds.

I can barley stop laughing when I am fighting keyboard turning clickers in WZ's. They might get one or two abilities off.

Seriously this. You will hit me a whopping zero times if you keyboard turn and click. I will be behind you for the entire fight and there will be absolutely nothing you can do about it at all. Anyone arguing otherwise is sorely misinformed. End of discussion.

People keep yelling "YES! You HAVE to have keybinds!" Or "Only if you want to win." That is not the case. This is my first and only MMO, and I will admit I do better with keybinds than clicking, but lemme tell you my experience. I also have friends who are clickers that are superb in this game. Onwards!

1.Start with simple things, such as setting your mouse speed higher so you're not dragging the mouse across your desk to get to the other side of your screen, or practice hitting the "1, 2, and 3" keys with one while finger while kiting holding down the "W" key.

2. Many use the Q, E, R, Z, X, etc. keys but I like having 360 degree rotation. I have a Razer Naga and I started with the simple 1, 2, 3, and so on.

3. Work your way along with the Shift, Ctrl, and Alt keys. Currently, I only use 1, 2, and 3 and their respective Alt versions, because the Alt key is right next to the Spacebar and easy to hit with my thumb. The other 2 Quickbars I've put next to my mains and I click those.

TLDR: It takes time and it's a useful skill to have, and don't let anyone tell you, you suck because you click.

Also some classes (usually ranged or healer) tend to be more forgiving of clicking than others (melee).

Can't imagine trying to heal and click in a WZ. You are the PvP "tank" so being very mobile (IE, don't keyboard turn) is required.

Can't imagine trying to heal and click in a WZ. You are the PvP "tank" so being very mobile (IE, don't keyboard turn) is required.

For a good 3 months I click-healed on my Mando and was putting up at least 400k in a good match, and this was before 2.0 when healing got buffed.

Xenxero/Xenvega used to be in the same guild as me before he left to join what was at the time the best rated team on Jung Ma: Immortal. He was/is a clicker (not sure if he's still playing).

One of the best sage healers on Jung Ma (Zek-anlai) is also a clicker.

So yes you can definitely perform very well while clicking just as while keybinding.

Personally I find that clicking is limiting me, so I'm gradually moving toward keybinds. But there are people out there who make it work for them.

For a good 3 months I click-healed on my Mando and was putting up at least 400k in a good match, and this was before 2.0 when healing got buffed.

The point isn't so much that you can't contribute as a clicker; it's that you'd contribute MORE if you weren't. Your movement control is flat going to be better. I'm not suggesting clickers can't do well, I'm suggesting that they'd do better if they used keybinds. :)

(Also -- at least the way I play them, though I am a mediocre sage and a kind of terrible merc -- mercs/mandos can afford to hunker down a bit more than sages can and still survive. If pressured, all I can do is drive-by heals on my sage while making sure that assassin has trouble finding my back.)

Xenxero/Xenvega used to be in the same guild as me before he left to join what was at the time the best rated team on Jung Ma: Immortal. He was/is a clicker (not sure if he's still playing).

One of the best sage healers on Jung Ma (Zek-anlai) is also a clicker.

So yes you can definitely perform very well while clicking just as while keybinding.

Personally I find that clicking is limiting me, so I'm gradually moving toward keybinds. But there are people out there who make it work for them.

And the best smash Jugg Michelinman was also a clicker.