I Want To Like TOR, But It Just Feels Old

Shadysketchy

Well considering you seem obsessed with WoW least I can offer you is my account. Btw let's compare graphics gain in about a week. Wow misses you my friend you're better off their I hope besides bioware I'm one of the reasons you leave this game. Idk whybim wasting my time probably cause I can't sleep... Guess I enjoy trolling more than anything now lulz.

P.s bro have fun on WoW lemme know if it got any better..... Oh wait... Wow still blows nvm.

But comparisons are comparisions not everyone is the brightest bulb in the room after all.. Sadly you're having way too much fun comparing WoW to ToR so keep at that bro.

Edited by mohkhan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well considering you seem obsessed with WoW least I can offer you is my account. Btw let's compare graphics gain in about a week. Wow misses you my friend you're better off their I hope besides bioware I'm one of the reasons you leave this game. Idk whybim wasting my time probably cause I can't sleep... Guess I enjoy trolling more than anything now lulz.

P.s bro have fun on WoW lemme know if it got any better..... Oh wait... Wow still blows nvm.

How do I seem obsessed with WoW?

If the only two MMOs you've played in the past 7 years are WoW, and TOR, then I might understand how you'd have that perspective; but try to keep in mind that many of the features I listed in the OP are standards in the Industry, and have been for a couple years now

Too bad no critiscm can come from a game like WoW 2 completely different games that strive for 2 different goals.

WoW - Elitist and easy mode player base recycling content gets pretty awesome aft a while.

ToR - Completely different game from WoW. That's insanely mind-blowing I bet righg...? That blew me away.

Btw I'm no ToR fanboy don't get me wrong and tbh I literally hate star wars but www have a brand new game here trying to try something new so let's not bash the crap outta without solid evidence.

You quoted that out of context, and as a result; made us both look stupid

I know that WoW went from about 12, to about 10 million subs in 2011, alone; and I agree that Cataclysm was an abysmal failure

I also agree that WoW is (at least currently) on the decline

Please try to assess the context of what someone says, before fallaciously calling them out on it

For someone acting all like a fountain of analyst knowledge, you should know WoW has about 10 million players now. Not subs.

Take away the chinese pay per min and you're left with about 5 million players. And of those 5 million, many are ditching it like a sinking ship.

I'm sick to death of WoW fan boys pulling the 12 million subs card. It doesn't have 12 million subs for #@$! sake. It doesn't have 10 million either. No where near.

Wow isn't going to suddenly stop it with the instant gratification, kiddy crap arcade game dealio it's doing. It's too late. That's what it is now, and it's only getting worse.

There is plenty wrong with TOR. But, you're crying about things we all know is going to change soon enough.

Macro's such as @mouseover? coming.

Cutomizable UI? coming.

Better textures, and fix the terribad draw distance and pop in?.... here's hoping.

DX10/11? probably coming, no doubt.

For Bioware to think everyone games on a toaster would be a mistake.

Some of us that know better, and are avid gamers, are less than impressed with TOR's graphics( specifically the water or lack there of, draw distance, LOD, and pop in)

Anyways, point is, TOR is young. It just came out or christ sake. It's pretty dang good for launch.

Edited by Your_dominus

No ques in cata? Me and my guild were on vent for over an hour waiting to get into our server so I call shenanigans right there.

No queues on Icecrown US, or Ner'Zhul US; both Full Servers (at least at the time, they were)

The very, very fullest Servers like Illidan probably had queues, but a couple of the top 5 US Servers having queues is nothing compared the the first few days of TOR

So honestly, I really do want to like this game. And I do think it has some positive features, including Star Wars; I've always like the Star Wars movies. Unfortunately, TOR just feels really old. Even compared to World of Warcraft, which actually is very old (over 7 years now), this feels elderly.

The following are some things that make TOR feel old:

- No LFG Tool (been in WoW for over 2 years... absolutely baffled as to how this hasn't been developed for TOR yet)

- Awful UI; I could make an entire thread about this (and people already have), but for the sake of brevity, I'll just restate that it's awful

- Pet AI is horrible, between the delay on commanding their auto attack, their hilarious pathing errors, and many others; it's safe to say giving every Class+Spec a pet was a bad idea, without first giving them AI that's passable in 2011

- 2007 graphics (The Skybox being a 2D Painting is particularly insulting)

- No Day/Night Cylce

- No accessable body of water deeper than 6 inches

- Server queues (Had queues in WoW for Vanilla, BC, and Wrath but not Cata, Blizzard has evolved, BioWare has not)

- Lackluster Character Creation

- Absurd Leveling curve; the overall process of getting from 1-50 is pretty fast, but the curve for time per level increases at a rate that makes me feel like I'm playing Aion again

- Three Warzones, No Arenas (also consider Huttball cannot be taken seriously as Rated PvP). Again; TOR is competing with 2011 WoW (8 Battlegrounds, 4 of which can be done Rated + Arena Content)

- No Macros

- No mouseover casting

- No addon support

- No Dual Spec

- Taris memory leaks (should have been fixed in Beta, not "overnight" a week after Early Access started for the game's release build)

- Lack of variety in quests; everything is kill X amount of Y, unlike WoW where they've added a lot of variation (for better or for worse) in the quests, which makes leveling feel less grindy

- Voice Actors voicing too many different people; I don't think I've seen this many Characters with the same Voice Actor, since the first Deus Ex game

- Player Character repeating Dialogue from other conversations (My Sith Inquisitor has said "I'll show you what a Sith can do!" like 5 times now, and other less memorably rhyming are equally if not more common)

- "Choices" are still just the Blue good guy option, or the Red bad guy option — this was kinda new in KOTOR, and still cool in both Mass Effects; but unimpressive today

- No Mount until level 25; it only takes a couple hours to get your first Mount in WoW these days. No idea why this was considered a good idea

- Awkward gold; having over 500,000 gold by the time you hit 40 is... silly, and will be a major hassle as the game ages and gold inflation occurs

- A vast array of technical errors that BioWare, and easily amused Players will chalk up to "Every launch has issues, go play WoW kid!"; but nonetheless detract from gameplay, and are hard to excuse in a 2011 title

- No Appearance/Gear Customization such as WoW's Transmogrification, or a standard MMO Appearance Tab (weird in a game where we watch ourselves talk so much)

- No Barbershop for minor character recustomization (again, weird in a game where we watch so much of our character speaking)

- More — I will expand on this as more things pop into my mind, these are the ones currently at the forefront of my thought process

Anyway, do you guys feel the same way? Maybe you don't see the logic in some of my points (but you will once you get to level 40+), but you've probably noticed the game feels old. I'm worried that this feeling will plague the launch, and the early days of the game. This will both turn away new players, and create a jaded community; problems that get worse and worse as time goes on. Hopefully the game can be improved enough though, I do like it.

TL;DR, I think TOR feels old, what do you think?

You are out of order and need to be replaced.

How do I seem obsessed with WoW?

If the only two MMOs you've played in the past 7 years are WoW, and TOR, then I might understand how you'd have that perspective; but try to keep in mind that many of the features I listed in the OP are standards in the Industry, and have been for a couple years now

No they are not. They are standard crappy features for crappy pretend MMOs like WoW

As you said you only ever played WoW, so you have no idea what is an MMO

sorry mate, your trolling is getting weaker and weaker

it's time to go, your mission is 'fail'

One genuine problem in this game is AoE threat on tanks, it simply is not up to par at mid game, and certainly not at par on low levels. (Im not even touching the missing taunt untill level 15 argument or lack of dedicated high threat moves)

Also this thread has turned in to an offtopic, personal insult and a flamewar fest. Theres atleast a good two pages worth of just shamelessly deleting so far in the past 3 pages and it really makes you wonder are we done with the entire constructive critism or valid arguments that we have to turn in to personal insults and bad jokes?

Just out of curiosity am I the only person who keeps getting a really bored feeling on Balmorra for example?

Also am I the only person who thinks that correctly landing AoE moves on melee characters is pritty much impossible unless you stand for several seconds in one place before doing your move?

No they are not. They are standard crappy features for crappy pretend MMOs like WoW

As you said you only ever played WoW, so you have no idea what is an MMO

sorry mate, your trolling is getting weaker and weaker

it's time to go, your mission is 'fail'

Yes, many of them are.

Your fanboy delusions blind you.

WoW has introduced a lot of quality of life features over the years to make playing WoW more fun. That could also be interpreted as "to make playing every upcoming MMO more fun" but that would practically be asking for more copying stuff from WoW.

In some points you are correct, OP, but in others overly unfair. WoW players have been asking for appearance/vanity gear since vanilla, I was one of those who'd gather gear for nothing more than appearance and fill my bank with it. They tried a couple of time, they didn't get over Beta stage and only since recently they actually got it. I personally would wager that social gear was meant to be that appearance-related gear.

Although day and night cycle should be doable by engine it's in no way a critical issue, it's a minor one.

PS: I have been waiting for a mission-item related bag since ages in WoW and then they went to remove key rings. /sigh

You are gonna get flamed to **** for this post. But... It is true. Sadly.

yup all the fanbois coming in full force- but you just have to bare with it- you can hand rubbish to fanboi's and they will eat it up- especially star war's fanboi's - they a really odd bunch.

but I agree with everything you say - and there's loads more issues on there.

For a new mmo- I find logging in even hard to do as I feel the disappointment from this game- its a big let down.

You're so right, that was actually what I was thinking as well lately. Sooo much hype, sooo much could-have-been better.

It's like they just took a whole bunch of things of WoW, and added their own spin to it (for the worse/best you can decide for yourself).

This game won't last long, I guarantee you that. Another warhammer on the list of EA. It needs so much polish and updating, dear god. It's a curse you know, releasing a MMO in the post WoW age.

Whatever you do, you will be compared to a 7 year old game with 3 expansions on its belt. And when that happens, you better have your act together.

SWTOR unfortunately has not. Sooo much could have been better.

But it's a cool casual singleplayer / co-op game though, for a little while that is.

Thing that bothers me the most is the no LFD tool. Seriously anyone that finds it amusing spamming chat to find other players? That's so 2005 ...

Besides the story, it feels like an out of date WoW with Star Wars theme. Even the mob packs have no variety. Its usually 4 normal mobs or 1 strong with 1-2 regular mobs. Its so predictable in cut & paste corridor after corridor. its worse then the auchindoun instances in wow which got slated for that design.

i do agree in some of your statements, BUT:

the project of this game started in 2006, as a different mmo (not star wars).

Clearly, the amount of time spent on creating the "single player like" stories, for each class, it's huge. therefore, i think that they did not have the time to complete the game, for this reason they have to focus on some things now:

1 fix bugs

2 finish and polish the game

after this 2 important things, they will start to introduce all the NECESSARY features that this game needs to have. i guess that we'll have the complete, polished and finished game, with all the necessary features, somewhere around mid-fall 2012.

The big problem, is another. after reaching is 1st "enemy" (sorry i'm not english so i can't remember the correct word) named, in terms of innovation and subscriptions, WoW, it will need to take an innovative direction and be a completely new and enjoyable game in 2013. If it doesn't succeed in this, it will be completely destroyed by the new mmo that activision blizzard and bungie are working on, just because they are masters of those type of games.

- No LFG Tool (been in WoW for over 2 years... absolutely baffled as to how this hasn't been developed for TOR yet)

There is a lfg tool in TOR. You press O and click "LFG". Also, people you see around in the world with a purple icon next to their name have actually managed to find this button, and are currently looking for a group.

World of Warcraft launched September 2, 2001.

It had a lfg system for two years you say? That's pretty cool.

So honestly, I really do want to like this game. And I do think it has some positive features, including Star Wars; I've always like the Star Wars movies. Unfortunately, TOR just feels really old. Even compared to World of Warcraft, which actually is very old (over 7 years now), this feels elderly.

The following are some things that make TOR feel old:

Did WoW have LFG when it was new?

- Pet AI is horrible, between the delay on commanding their auto attack, their hilarious pathing errors, and many others; it's safe to say giving every Class+Spec a pet was a bad idea, without first giving them AI that's passable in 2011

You mean like my famously retarded warlock pets?

- 2007 graphics (The Skybox being a 2D Painting is particularly insulting)

It's a game.

- No Day/Night Cylce

Boo hoo.

- No accessable body of water deeper than 6 inches.

A pleasure...now I don't have to worry about swimming with all my heavy armor on.

- Server queues (Had queues in WoW for Vanilla, BC, and Wrath but not Cata, Blizzard has evolved, BioWare has not)

Cata didn't have queues because cata blew.

- Lackluster Character Creation

It is more than adequate.

- Absurd Leveling curve; the overall process of getting from 1-50 is pretty fast, but the curve for time per level increases at a rate that makes me feel like I'm playing Aion again

Enjoy it. The game was designed to be enjoyed, not to become a race to 50!

- Three Warzones, No Arenas (also consider Huttball cannot be taken seriously as Rated PvP). Again; TOR is competing with 2011 WoW (8 Battlegrounds, 4 of which can be done Rated + Arena Content)

Arenas are the stupidest thing blizz has done, and they even admitted it. Also...THE GAME IS NEW. Wow has been around the block. Give it time. gosh darn you sound like my 3 year old....More More More.

- No Dual Spec

Sucks brah wow didnt have it from the get go.

- Taris memory leaks (should have been fixed in Beta, not "overnight" a week after Early Access started for the game's release build)

I don't think you understand how hard it is to track down memory leaks.

- Lack of variety in quests; everything is kill X amount of Y, unlike WoW where they've added a lot of variation (for better or for worse) in the quests, which makes leveling feel less grindy

Are you ******** me?

- Player Character repeating Dialogue from other conversations (My Sith Inquisitor has said "I'll show you what a Sith can do!" like 5 times now, and other less memorably rhyming are equally if not more common)

Be happy there is this kind of interaction.

- "Choices" are still just the Blue good guy option, or the Red bad guy option — this was kinda new in KOTOR, and still cool in both Mass Effects; but unimpressive today

Your opinion. I feel empowered when I can choose to be ****** and kill someone when I said I would spare them.

- No Mount until level 25; it only takes a couple hours to get your first Mount in WoW these days. No idea why this was considered a good idea

Go back to wow then. Its called a time sink. It's done so that people can get used to and explore the first 25 levels. Lower level mounts in wow has pissed people off to no end.

- Awkward gold; having over 500,000 gold by the time you hit 40 is... silly, and will be a major hassle as the game ages and gold inflation occurs

Compared to how much things cost....no. Either your not training or...idk...somthings wrong with your spending habits.

- A vast array of technical errors that BioWare, and easily amused Players will chalk up to "Every launch has issues, go play WoW kid!"; but nonetheless detract from gameplay, and are hard to excuse in a 2011 title

Until you make a game yourself then no they're not hard to excuse.

- No Appearance/Gear Customization such as WoW's Transmogrification, or a standard MMO Appearance Tab (weird in a game where we watch ourselves talk so much)

Give it time. Took wow what like 3 expansions to get to that. Appearance is there?

- No Barbershop for minor character recustomization (again, weird in a game where we watch so much of our character speaking)

Again....give it time.

- More — I will expand on this as more things pop into my mind, these are the ones currently at the forefront of my thought process

Please dont.

TL;DR, I think TOR feels old, what do you think?

My thoughts are embedded in the quote.

There is a lfg tool in TOR. You press O and click "LFG". Also, people you see around in the world with a purple icon next to their name have actually managed to find this button, and are currently looking for a group.

World of Warcraft launched September 2, 2001.

It had a lfg system for two years you say? That's pretty cool.

The /who flag is useless

World of Warcraft launched in 2004, not 2001

Guess you have no idea what evolving is. Do you buy a car without powerstearing and ABS this days? No, you expect some development to the car. Same with an MMO.

People have expectations that new games will evolve towords the future away from the old games. SWToR has not done so. They have steped back in time and tryed to reinvente the wheel without knowing it already is invented.

OK, first of all you dont have the option to buy a car without power steering or ABS, they come standard and you have no option to remove them.

but with this game it will only improve with comments and concerns voiced in the forums. so everyone should voice their concerns and ideas on how it could be improved