The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The BattleZone Reboot Round 1 Match 10: Darth Malgus vs. Obi-Wan Kenobi

Aurbere

A depleted oxygen level to the blood can reduce ability to build muscle and lose fat on the long term basis, but short term, the build up and maintaining of energy becomes a lot harder.

In short, he'd lose stamina and energy...

#medschool :p

Very nice. This would be extremely useful to Kenobi, as his Soresu is only going to make Malgus angry. Aurbere, give me a minute, I'm just finishing up my final statements, if you would be so kind.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A depleted oxygen level to the blood can reduce ability to build muscle and lose fat on the long term basis, but short term, the build up and maintaining of energy becomes a lot harder.

In short, he'd lose stamina and energy...

#medschool :p

That's what I was thinking as well.

Edit: No problem Canino

Edited by Aurbere

Before I decide who wins, I have a something for everyone to consider. What impacts would the loss of his respirator have on Malgus?
Very little it would seem. Malgus wore the respirator out of a choice and its effect was to further bolster is stamina. But he's perfectly capable of operating without it. Most evident on Alderaan wear before even receiving any medical attention he handedly defeated two Jedi. Really his stamina is already so immensely ridiculous I highly doubt it will have much effect, and can easily be substituted for Malgus Force rage. People seem to be forgetting that making Malgus angry is a bad thing, you won't like Malgus when he's angry.

So, my final statement. I believe that Kenobi will triumph over Malgus. Here is my scenario.

They draw their sabers, and Kenobi instantly renders Malgus's respirator useless through his control on electronics. Malgus, unfazed, begins the assault. His Form V proves a challenge for Kenobi, but Kenobi is nigh impenetrable. Kenobi dodges attacks with his speed, and when the time is right, uses a force push. Malgus is thrown back against the wall, and stunned at his opponents strength. However, the stun is only momentary as he uses a force push of his own, and is on Kenobi in a second. Pushing his saber against his, he creates a saber lock, baring down on the Jedi. Kenobi, thinking fast begins to kick Malgus's knee. Malgus doesn't realize what is happening until it is too late- his knee is shattered.

He releases his saber lock, and Kenobi leaps over him. As Malgus goes to press his assault he realizes what Kenobi has done- destroy his chances in a saber fight. With his knee shattered his footwork for Form V is destroyed, rendering it useless.

I think that Kenobi could easily break Malgus's knee as he is a master in Tae Jitsu, and did so to Savage, who also had custom armor and had Nightsister magic in him. I think that it would be harder to break the bones of Savage than Malgus. If that battle last longer, than his Soresu, coupled with a fighting Malgus and his broken respirator will allow him to fight a weakened, fatigued Malgus.

The Sith is quick to attack though, this time with lightning. It courses through Kenobi, but he is able to deflect the ending blast. Malgus goes to create a maelstrom, but a quick force repulse has him again again the wall. Kenobi capitalizes on the stun, and hurls his saber at the Sith.

EDIT: Thank you.

Edited by Canino

Kenobi, thinking fast begins to kick Malgus's knee. Malgus doesn't realize what is happening until it is too late- his knee is shattered.
I'm not going to debate everyone's scenarios, but I can't ignore this. Shattered, with one kick? Really? Lets get a look at Malgus' armour. That knee is heavily plated. Savage's knee on the other hand was completely exposed. See here. Its just covered in fabric. Despite that it still took Obi-Wan four kicks for it to give way and even then Savage was capable of walking. Against durasteel greaves? No chance. No, if Kenobi tried that it would result in

The possibility of successfully shattering Malgus' leg is approximately 3,720 to 1. :jawa_wink:

Edited by Beniboybling

Beni, what you have to realise is it will have a large affect on Malgus' stamina and energy levels, it will tire him out a lot faster, and if there's anything kenobi does well its whittling away his opponents.

Malgus' stamina will probably drop down to the levels of a normal combatant, which means he loses his greatest advantage.

And it's not just stamina, it's overall muscle energy, he'll put less power into his attacks than normal.

Alone it might not end him, but it's a bloody huge advantage to kenobi.

I'm not going to debate everyone's scenarios, but I can't ignore this. Shattered, with one kick? Really? Lets get a look at Malgus' armour. That knee is heavily plated. Savage's knee on the other hand was completely exposed. See here. Its just covered in fabric. Despite that it still took Obi-Wan four kicks for it to give way and even then Savage was capable of walking. Against durasteel greaves? No chance. No, if Kenobi tried that it would result in

The possibility of successfully shattering Malgus' leg is approximately 3,720 to 1. :jawa_wink:

Not if he sliced it first, like in my scenario :p

How do we know that Malgus' armor is made from durasteel? More to that, a Zabrack is physically strong already with Nightsister magic that just made him even more so, so of course it would take more hits compared to a human.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Beni, what you have to realise is it will have a large affect on Malgus' stamina and energy levels, it will tire him out a lot faster, and if there's anything kenobi does well its whittling away his opponents.

Malgus' stamina will probably drop down to the levels of a normal combatant, which means he loses his greatest advantage.

And it's not just stamina, it's overall muscle energy, he'll put less power into his attacks than normal.

Alone it might not end him, but it's a bloody huge advantage to kenobi.

But your forgetting that this is a fictional universe, and in said fictional universe there is a mystical energy present called the Force. The Force will fuel Malgus' stamina and energy levels. Your making the assumption here that the entirety of Malgus' stamina comes from his respirator, which is simply not true, it consists of a fraction.

Regardless this is clearly demonstrated on Alderaan, Malgus shows no reduced stamina whatsoever. And that was before he recieved medical treatement. Really, I'd bring into question how much he needed the respirator at all. According to the SWTOR Encyclopedia:

The Empire's greatest surgeons and cyberneticists repaired Malgus's broken body and installed a special breathing apparatus to conceal his ruined face.

And after immediately escaping from the rubble, he does not seem to suffer from any serious breathing impairment. Its more likely that the apparatus was primarily designed to protect his damaged jaw.

Oh, oops. I never meant it as one kick. I was thinking more of two or three. However, Malgus will be focusing on the saber lock and his wriggling victim to realize that his knee is going to be taken out.

The key thing is, it destroys his Form V, which is all about footwork. It also destroys his mobility. Even if he has rage, his body will not let him move in the same ways, as his knee simply won't function properly.

How do we know that Malgus' armor is made from durasteel? More to that, a Zabrack is physically strong already with Nightsister magic that just made him even more so, so of course it would take more hits compared to a human.
According to the SWTOR Encyclopedia, its made from durasteel. And I'd hazard a guess that Malgus' durasteel armour is stronger than Opress' bones. I really can't see Obi-Wan being able to break through durasteel with a single kick .Or any number of kicks. I mean who is this guy Chuck Norris? Edited by Beniboybling

Oh, oops. I never meant it as one kick. I was thinking more of two or three. However, Malgus will be focusing on the saber lock and his wriggling victim to realize that his knee is going to be taken out.

The key thing is, it destroys his Form V, which is all about footwork. It also destroys his mobility. Even if he has rage, his body will not let him move in the same ways, as his knee simply won't function properly.

But it ain't gonna happen. Look at what happened when Obi-Wan tried to kick Grievous' plated legs. Malgus' armour is specifically designed to protect himself from such attacks. It can absorb point blank explosions.

And as long as he can half-stand, he can use his Force powers.

EDIT: Really if anyone has the SWTOR Encyclopedia, open it up and turn to pg 176. Then take a look at that leg, would you like to kick that? Not if you value your toes.

Edited by Beniboybling

But it ain't gonna happen. Look at what happened when Obi-Wan tried to kick Grievous' plated legs. Malgus' armour is specifically designed to protect himself from such attacks. It can absorb point blank explosions.

And as long as he can half-stand, he can use his Force powers.

EDIT: Really if anyone has the SWTOR Encyclopedia, open it up and turn to pg 176. Then take a look at that leg, would you like to kick that? Not if you value your toes.

Ok, then I show you this. It also shows exposed areas on his calf and pelvis and on the side of his knee. He is still exposed to Tae Jitsu and other damages.

Also, do we know what the control panels on his wrists do? That could also be controlled by Kenobi during this fight.

Ok, then I show you this. It also shows exposed areas on his calf and pelvis and on the side of his knee. He is still exposed to Tae Jitsu and other damages.

Also, do we know what the control panels on his wrists do? That could also be controlled by Kenobi during this fight.

The chances that Kenobi will able to kick the inside of Malgus' calves or pelivs without getting his leg chopped of is very slim, as are the chances of being able to shatter a much thicker and more durable part of the body. All the vulnerable parts of Malgus body are covered in armour, including the sides of his knee which are plated. Also note that those areas are still covered in thick fabric.

And I have no idea what his wrist gauntlets do.

Edited by Beniboybling

Did I say, calves? I meant thighs, which would go through his femur. However, if a saber lock ensues, which it will knowing Malgus, then a then a quick twist and slash would be effective, considering Kenobi is faster than his opponent. Follow up with a push and some acrobatics to a higher level and Kenobi has disabled his enemy.

Note the pillars, which could be used to hide behind during lightning, or pulled down to incapacitate Malgus.

Edited by Canino

Did I say, calves? I meant thighs, which would go through his femur. However, if a saber lock ensues, which it will knowing Malgus, then a then a quick twist and slash would be effective, considering Kenobi is faster than his opponent. Follow up with a push and some acrobatics to a higher level and Kenobi has disabled his enemy.

Note the pillars, which could be used to hide behind during lightning, or pulled down to incapacitate Malgus.

Which are difficult to reach and also armour plated.

Also note that the pillars can be shattered and dodged.

Which are difficult to reach and also armour plated.

Also note that the pillars can be shattered and dodged.

But they would still provide ample protection, as noted by Plageuis vs. The Emperor (if IRC) And the majority of the thigh is only covered in cloth, and an easy target for a saber slash, or kick (if in a weird position(?))

I think it's time Aurbere.

Obi-wan will be victorious.

But they would still provide ample protection, as noted by Plageuis vs. The Emperor (if IRC) And the majority of the thigh is only covered in cloth, and an easy target for a saber slash, or kick (if in a weird position(?))

I think it's time Aurbere.

Obi-wan will be victorious.

If Kenobi tries to slash Malgus legs, he will block - lightsaber duel basics right there. And its not cloth, its thick, insulated material that can absorb point-blank explosions.

And as for hiding behind pillars, he's not going to have time for that. If Malgus unleashes Force lightning at him it will be unexpected and preferably while he's down and vulnerable.

Alright, I guess it's time for me to begin deliberations. Good job everyone. When I first made this match, I was utterly convinced on which one would win, but both sides made a very convincing case. You don't make this easy, that's for sure.

If Kenobi tries to slash Malgus legs, he will block - lightsaber duel basics right there. And its not cloth, its thick, insulated material that can absorb point-blank explosions.

And as for hiding behind pillars, he's not going to have time for that. If Malgus unleashes Force lightning at him it will be unexpected and preferably while he's down and vulnerable.

Perhaps. We have to wait for Aurbere to decide using all the evidence presented.

Alright debaters and spectators, here is the final verdict:

Both duelists draw their blades. Darth Malgus takes the early offensive, pushing Kenobi on the defensive with quick and heavy strikes in an attempt to break the Jedi's defenses down. But Obi-Wan's defense is too strong. Malgus gains no ground against the defensive-minded Jedi Master.

In an attempt to break through Kenobi's defense Malgus breaks away, covering himself with a powerful Force Push that sends him flying into a back wall. Kenobi is quick on his feet and leaps back into the fight. At the height of his leap, the Sith Lord sends a burst of Force Lightning at him. Kenobi blocks the attack with his lightsaber, but the force of the blow halts his flight, forcing him back to the ground.

As Kenobi lands, Malgus is on top of him, making another relentless assault. Kenobi backflips away, landing in one of the East Wing's upper balconies. Quickly after landing, Kenobi manipulates the Sith Lord's respirator, causing it to malfunction..

Malgus begins to gather energy to create a Force Maelstrom, and Kenobi, sensing the build-up of energy, darts into one of the many corridors.

Malgus leaps after him. Rounding corner, he is ambushed by Kenobi, who manages to cut a deep gash in Malgus' right arm. The pain does little to slow him down. The Sith is once again attacking Kenobi in a furious assault. But Kenobi is fast, he effortlessly parries and dodges Malgus' attacks, and retaliates with his own before falling back on the defensive.

As Malgus spins into a Force-enhanced kick, Kenobi ducks and sweeps Malgus' left leg, bringing the Sith Lord down.

Malgus quickly responds with a Force Push, sending Kenobi to the other end of the corridor. As Malgus stands upright, he finds that Kenobi has once again vanished. Malgus gives chase, encountering Kenobi in a long conference room.

The two engage each other once again. But Kenobi is slowing down, the effects of Malgus' attacks taking their toll. While Kenobi grows weak, Malgus gains strength, feeding on his hatred for the Jedi. In a desperate move, Kenobi atempts a Force Push on Malgus.

The attack sends Malgus to the back of the room, allowing Kenobi to disappear again. Malgus searches for Kenobi through the Force, finding him recovering energy.

The two meet once again for a final engagement. The Jedi's defense is once again strong, and Malgus' attacks are unable to break through. The duel begins to reach its climax. Malgus' hate-fueled assault is unable to break through Kenobi's defense, and Kenobi is unable to make an offensive.

In one final move, the Jedi and Sith attempt to overwhelm each other with a Force Push. They both struggle to overwhelm each other. Malgus' raw power collides with Obi-Wan's mastery. The Jedi's mastery overpowers Malgus, putting Malgus on his back. Kenobi takes his chance, charging Malgus.

Malgus halts Kenobi's advance with Force lightning. This time, the lightning overwhelms Kenobi, knocking his lightsaber away and forming a cage of dark side power around him. Malgus is on his feet before Kenobi can recover. He unleashes a barrage of Force lightning, killing the Jedi Master.

Thoughts and personal opinion:

As you can see, I did everything I could to include everyone's argument. I ran several scenarios in my head, and this one seemed most likely. In the end, Malgus' dueling skills were insufficient to overcome Kenobi's, but they were enough to prevent Obi-Wan from making any sort of offensive actions.

In the end, it came down to Force ability. Malgus' strength in the Force was not enough to outright dominate Obi-Wan, but it was enough to get him the win.

Personally, I thought Obi-Wan would win, and one scenario I thought of was Kenobi using saber throw before Malgus could deliver a coup de grace.

Thank you to everyone who participated and shared their thoughts on this exciting match.