Was Ashara originally intended to be LS/DS like Jaesa?

SW_display_name

Am I missing something? Seems to me my Ashara ended up acknowledging the Sith code and breaking some of the key tenants of the jedi order.

She might not admit it to herself, but she be Sith at the conclusion of her story.

- Arcada

She recites parts of both codes. She is neither in my opinion. Give her 40 years and she is something like Jolee Bindo i'd say.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me, I'm more interested in the question why the REpublic faction has no dark -> light alignment switch possibility for ANY companion ?

The Empire faction has light -> dark.

If they continued the class stories, I would bet Scourge was supposed to become a Jedi eventually. But, alas...

May I say that it's a bit baffling when people are upset that Ashara has a stronger will than Jaesa?

Jaesa was shown as a perfect padawan throughout chapter 1, nearly the definition of the light side (see Tatooine). Meanwhile, the inquisitor focuses on Ahsara because because of her obvious flaws (pride, resentment ect). Not to mention Jaesa's special connection to the force, sure Ashara was supposedly good in combat (I think? even that's not explicitly mentioned by anyone other then herself) but that was never really effected by focusing light/dark.

It was just frustrating that my Sith Warrior, who was always straight up and resented the way Sith had become manipulative and treacherous could corrupt the Jedi's star pupil, and her master almost by accident. Then to get to my inquisitor supposedly one of the most cunning and deceptive Sith in the galaxy (which you rarely get to prove) was unable to make a very flawed padawan do anything more then kill one assassin when you explicitly went out of your way to turn her dark side.

Also very frustrating playing a tank DS female inquisitor, as Ashara is useful but everything I do gets at least -1 affection, while gifts never give me more then +22.

Anyways very good OP. Shows just one of the examples of the potential the SI story-line had.

Jaesa was shown as a perfect padawan throughout chapter 1, nearly the definition of the light side (see Tatooine). Meanwhile, the inquisitor focuses on Ahsara because because of her obvious flaws (pride, resentment ect). Not to mention Jaesa's special connection to the force, sure Ashara was supposedly good in combat (I think? even that's not explicitly mentioned by anyone other then herself) but that was never really effected by focusing light/dark.

It was just frustrating that my Sith Warrior, who was always straight up and resented the way Sith had become manipulative and treacherous could corrupt the Jedi's star pupil, and her master almost by accident. Then to get to my inquisitor supposedly one of the most cunning and deceptive Sith in the galaxy (which you rarely get to prove) was unable to make a very flawed padawan do anything more then kill one assassin when you explicitly went out of your way to turn her dark side.

Also very frustrating playing a tank DS female inquisitor, as Ashara is useful but everything I do gets at least -1 affection, while gifts never give me more then +22.

Anyways very good OP. Shows just one of the examples of the potential the SI story-line had.

Stubbornness and pride aren't always flaws. Jaesa's personality is fundamentally obedient, while Ashara has a strong rebellious streak; neither of those go away when they receive new masters. If Jaesa's confidence in her masters is shattered, she'll latch onto the Sith Warrior as a new master, but Ashara's pride and confidence (she never fell because she thought the Jedi Code was wrong, only because she thought her masters were doing it wrong) will keep her safe from the Inquisitor's blandishments.

Really, Ashara is a pretty amazing person.

I feel the exact same way. I was playing a Dark 5 male healer, and she was my companion of choice to tear thru pubs with. But she whined & complained about EVERYTHING I did! I was sooooooo disappointed that after all the corrupting I did to Her including making her murder.....I couldn't turn her like I did Jessa.

Oan...I definitely wish my Jedi characters could have redeemed a Sith companion & brought them to the light side.

Imo the biggest problem with Ashara isn't the fact that she's light-sided but that she's so delusional, whiny and even bossy. She isn't necessarily a bad character: her world was just turned upside down and she's trying to adjust to that. Things she says (like "don't make me go against my teachings") are probably to make her feel more safe, since everything around her just changed dramatically and she wants to feel that she still has at least some control over her life. That she can still put some limits to what she has to do, even though she's now an apprentice of a sith lord. All that "I'm still a jedi!" nonsense is really her trying to justify her actions to herself. She needs to reason to herself that she can be a sith apprentice and good at the same time, otherwise she'd start hating herself for what she has become. And the rest of her behaviour is just behaving the way she behaved towards her jedi masters.

The problem?

Well, we all know inquisitor is a sweet, patient person who deeply cares about Ashara and would love to give her all the time in the world to cope with her confusion and is happy to ignore all her nonsense and tell her "sure you can still be a jedi even though you're a sith, honey"? Right?

That's the problem.

A ds inquisitor most likely doesn't consider Ashara to be a friend and has no interest or patience for her nonsense, but the game forces the inquisitor to it. In example, to my sorcerer, the chain of command is very important. She would never whine about a thing her master tolds her to do (since she considers obeying her master her duty) and she also wouldn't tolerate an apprentice who whines about she giving orders to her. She also has no reason to tolerate Ashara's behavior since there's no reason (other than the game forcing you) to keep her around. Especially after you get Xalek. if there was some reason why it's important to keep Ashara loyal to you (i.e. she has some special power that is crucial to defeating Thanaton so you have to keep her with you unti the end of the class story), things would be different. But there's not. So you have no reason to not to tell her to get her act together or get out of your ship other than the game not letting you. And that's annoying.

I found myself saying "wat.." after every convo I had with Ashara. Im all for the lightside story existing but it just made no sense with my character (the only 1 out of my 9 characters I made darkside). I was able to rationalize it away by imagining im just long term manipulating her.

I found myself saying "wat.." after every convo I had with Ashara. Im all for the lightside story existing but it just made no sense with my character (the only 1 out of my 9 characters I made darkside). I was able to rationalize it away by imagining im just long term manipulating her.

I feel the same way.

That's because, originally, you were supposed to be able to let her just die on Taris or eventually turn her. They just discontinued the companion stories so almost all except the first 2 companions you get seem out of place.

It's the result of doing it half-arsed in addition to caving to whiners.

That's because, originally, you were supposed to be able to let her just die on Taris or eventually turn her. They just discontinued the companion stories so almost all except the first 2 companions you get seem out of place.

It's the result of doing it half-arsed in addition to caving to whiners.

I think it was actually because, during playtesting, it was extremely common for playtesters to kill companions just to see what would happen, then be sad that they didn't have them anymore.

I also strongly disagree with your second sentence: Ashara and Talos are far less out of place than Andronikos.

Hell it didn't make any sense for my LS Inq. He kept wondering why the hell hadn't she scampered off back to her Jedi masters. He didn't want to deal with her.

I think it was actually because, during playtesting, it was extremely common for playtesters to kill companions just to see what would happen, then be sad that they didn't have them anymore.

This is the change the made I absolutely HATE. I really wish they'd kept the option to kill companions. Imo if someone killed a companion "just 2 see", then they should have to start a new character to get that particular companion back.

This is the change the made I absolutely HATE. I really wish they'd kept the option to kill companions. Imo if someone killed a companion "just 2 see", then they should have to start a new character to get that particular companion back.

That's rather cruel, given how time-consuming that is, with the combined lack of an ability to save beforehand.

In any case, I love Ashara forever.

I also strongly disagree with your second sentence: Ashara and Talos are far less out of place than Andronikos.

He is awesome, if you play a male inq.

For females, horrible. He has the same issue Corso has on the smuggler side. If you play a female he just feels awkward and doesn't really fit.

Edited by Jandi

That's rather cruel, given how time-consuming that is, with the combined lack of an ability to save beforehand.

Such a thing doesn't work in an MMO setting for a myriad of reasons. However, if give the choice, there are certain comps I would murder. Especially since we have Treek and HK now, so losing one doesn't really matter anyhoot.

Er... do you mean Andronikos or Talos? I also have the strong suspicion that he'd be just as boring either way.

No, I mean Andronikos. And no, he is very different in convos if you're playing a male. I know, I've done both. Same with Smuggler and Corso.

Edited by Jandi

In any case, I love Ashara forever.

Not really, if you know how time consuming it is, then you don't "kill" on a whim. Everyone is responsible for their own actions & dealing with the results & repercussions of said actions. I don't like the channel lifetime.....Now I could easily get rid of the channel by turning off my TV with a sledge hammer :rolleyes: ....but once you do it, there's no turning back lol.

No, I mean Andronikos. And no, he is very different in convos if you're playing a male. I know, I've done both. Same with Smuggler and Corso.

Bah. I hate Andronikos regardless. Hell, if I had to romance a man, why not let me romance Talos?

Bah. I hate Andronikos regardless. Hell, if I had to romance a man, why not let me romance Talos?

What about Xalek? Talk about an undeveloped character... you have like 4 or 5 convos with him if you cap his affection.

In one of them he tells you he will kill you eventually. One is sparring. One is some nonsense about his dad and can't remember the rest.

Edited by Jandi

What about Xalek? Talk about an undeveloped character... you have like 4 or 5 convos with him if you cap his affection.

In one of them he tells you he will kill you eventually. One is sparring. One is some nonsense about his dad and can't remember the rest.

I haven't reached him yet, because, bizarrely, you don't get him even after Belsavis.

But yes, I think I'd disagree with his being there... after all, as I told Zash, I already have an apprentice.