Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

July Assassin Questions - Let's Start her up!

Xinika

The second "question" has been answered. Please remove it. (the answer is, there is a 5% chance it can fail) As for the third, a Sin can MT in PvP just as well as a guardian. Use their strengths.

I'm confused! Where can you see the questions and the Dev's answers?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The second "question" has been answered. Please remove it. (the answer is, there is a 5% chance it can fail) As for the third, a Sin can MT in PvP just as well as a guardian. Use their strengths.

I will not settle with that. 5% chance to fail? Go away. It should be failsafe.

You know, I switched to tank when playing through my assassin during levelling for survive-ability and got hooked on it ever since. I guess my one question for pve and pvp in general is I found that unless you're a tank, or DPS in tanking gear, your pretty much dead in the water unless you can think fast. So my question would be how does Bioware plan to increase the survivability of the deception and darkness trees during levelling?

That's my only question. I guess it's a PVP/PVE question as I had a hard time surviving with the DPS specs both during warzones and levelling missions.

And welcome Xinka to your new position. Glad to see you're getting the ball rolling... though I think these are August questions, as July ended 3 days ago ;).

You know, I switched to tank when playing through my assassin during levelling for survive-ability and got hooked on it ever since. I guess my one question for pve and pvp in general is I found that unless you're a tank, or DPS in tanking gear, your pretty much dead in the water unless you can think fast. So my question would be how does Bioware plan to increase the survivability of the deception and darkness trees during levelling?

That's my only question. I guess it's a PVP/PVE question as I had a hard time surviving with the DPS specs both during warzones and levelling missions.

And welcome Xinka to your new position. Glad to see you're getting the ball rolling... though I think these are August questions, as July ended 3 days ago ;).

You're not supposed to fight enemies directly. Play dirty. Overload is basically a stun on weak enemies, find yourself overrun? Overload is the outcome. And it allows you some time to get behind them aswell for a maul if you will.

Same with shock, it's a stun to weak enemies. Use it as such. Otherwise mind trapping stronger enemies before engaging a pack of near weaker ones should not be something you have to think about but just do. You take them out one by one, quickly and silent.

Yes, this is true that we are in August but even that will be void for November questions. Kitru made a solid post here covering the sooner deadline, so if all goes well, we can possibly get up to 6 questions for our class answered by November since our mirror AC presents their 3 questions first. Also, thank you.

Edited by Xinika

I personally on your side here - I love Deception and if it possible I rather play in that spec then Madness. But like I've said - I think it's impossible to have spec that both got best burst and sustain dps. So instead of getting good sustain dps with nerfed burst I'd rather get sepparate spec for PvE with good sustain damage.

True but it should still be possible to add something like a minor dot to help sustained, without it having to massive an impact on PVP. This would also maybe enable us to cloak less to sustain dps.

Lingering discharge deals 1000 force damage over 10 seconds adds traume on pvp target but no damage, something like that would help i think. afterall guard works different in pve and pvp.

Edited by Griad

So we missed the july deadline?

There was no July deadline. It was just assumed before the actual information came out. Sniper / Sent had their go this week, but we Assassins have to wait until November. Our closest 'gap' to get information in will be next month, which Kitru will handle for Shadows.

Schedule is here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=6591749&postcount=172

I will not settle with that. 5% chance to fail? Go away. It should be failsafe.

You're asking for clarification. It has been clarified. Yes, it should be 100%. But this has been changed. We really shouldn't waste a question on getting a tool tip changed. We have more important things to bring up.

But if you want to waste it...go right ahead.

You're asking for clarification. It has been clarified. Yes, it should be 100%. But this has been changed. We really shouldn't waste a question on getting a tool tip changed. We have more important things to bring up.

But if you want to waste it...go right ahead.

I don't want the tooltip to change at all. I want the G Dmn ability to be reliable for the full 100%.

I don't want the tooltip to change at all. I want the G Dmn ability to be reliable for the full 100%.

They changed it for everyone back in...1.4? Someone correct me. But it's working as intended. While yes, it should be full immunity (imho), it's silly to waste a question on something like this. Let alone how trivial that ability is compared to the much larger problems with assassins. Ask and hope to get fixed the big things. I'd gladly live with the ability the way it is, if Sin didn't die to RNG now.

Let alone how trivial that ability is compared to the much larger problems with assassins.

Excuse me? Lost Nodes, Lost Balls, Lost Caps and grenades / awes / stuns THROUGH this ability that's supposed to be 100% that has personally costed me multiple ranked matches. No, it's not trivial. It's right on par with all the other issues.

Excuse me? Lost Nodes, Lost Balls, Lost Caps and grenades / awes / stuns THROUGH this ability that's supposed to be 100% that has personally costed me multiple ranked matches. No, it's not trivial. It's right on par with all the other issues.

I think you read it right. It is trivial. Boo hoo, it has a tiny chance of not working in a raid or in PvP while there are clearly more likely chances of a Sin dying to RNG than Shroud being fatal. I get that it's a bigger issue in PvP...which unfortunately, all the questions seem to be about. But here is the kicker...it's STILL not a good question. As we've already gotten dev confirmation that it's working as intended, that it was changed in 1.4 (or 1.2...someone correct me please lol) that all of these abilities have a base 5% of failure. That's the end of discussion as far as that goes.

Now if you were going to ask if there were any plans to revert that change...that's semi sorta not really but ok, worth while question. But really. There are bigger issues than asking about an already answered topic.

Things that are better to ask about, are why Assassin DPS is worthless. I mean totally worthless in PvE. Why tanks are messed up, aka dying from RNG, way too spikey. Perhaps even, why the tank 51 is pretty meh. (Yes, I know that should be expanded upon...maybe in a later post)

But, clearly, there are better things we can ask with our limited questions.

Edited by Hockaday

To make it balanced for PvE- and PvP-players we need to change the following (in my opinion):

Deception

Sith Executioner

Increases all damage dealt to targets below 30% of their health by [5%/10%]. Additionally Discharge in Surging Charge has a [7.5%/15%] chance per stack of Static Charge to give you the effect 'Executioner', finishing the active cooldown of Assassinate, giving it a [50%/100%] chance to crit and make it usable at a target with any % of their health. Cannot occur more than once every [20/15] seconds.

Chain Shock

Activating Shock has a [20%/35%/50%] chance to activate a second Shot, dealing [25/50/75]% of normal damage.

Impose Weakness

Low Slash and Spike have a 100% chance to decrease the targets accuracy by 20% for 10 seconds.

Crackling Blasts

When Maul crits, it has a [50/100]% chance to apply Crackling Blasts, dealing 1000 damage over 6 seconds.

Pretty similar to what I was thinking for Sith Executioner. Relying on a resolve-filling ability just to use Maul more is not very smart, even if it can have nice synergy in duels.

I don't think we need more damage on Chain Shock, that would be way too bursty.

About Low Slash, I think this sould be our Trauma/Armor Debuff ability. I'm pretty sure some people do fairly well in PVE by not using Low Slash at all, and even if it's nice in PVP to decide when to burst I would rather have the Executioner proc.

All I have to say on this is lol.

I don't think anything would make you change your mind anyway. So I won't waste my time trying to.

Sorry we don't all only PvP and play as sub par dps :/

Oh well, look forward to seeing the updates. Time to check out the Shadow forum.

I do love Low Slash, it's not about removing the mezz, it's about us filling close to 1/2 Resolve bar in order to DPS properly.

About those who religiously repeat the "All abilities have 5% chance to hit no matter what, shroud or not" thing, you're not really serious, are you ? You actually believe this ? Next time when devs come up with a "We decided to give the game a X% chance to suddenly crash back to desktop, it's not a bug, it's our godly will", you'll be reassured as well I guess.

They changed it for everyone back in...1.4? Someone correct me. But it's working as intended.

It was a stealth change back in 1.4 that wasn't mentioned anywhere in the patch notes and was even ignored and unknown by the entire dev corps until such time that they actually did some hard core digging into what exactly caused it. It theoretically affects everyone, but the only ACs capable of actually generating a high enough defense chance that it actually impacts them is Jugg/Guards (via Blade Turning) and Shad/Sins (via Resilience/Shroud) so it's not entirely accurate to say that it affects *everyone* when it only affects those classes that specifically have abilities intended to make them unhittable for a time.

Whether it's working as intended depends upon which aspect of the "bug" you're looking into. Force Shroud, as an ability that adds 200% Resist Chance, is working entirely as intended. Force Shroud, as an ability that is supposed to render you immune to all incoming F/T attacks, is not. The dev comment made concerning their discovery stated that they known the problem but are having a hard time fixing it, for whatever reason (my guess is that they want to preserve the 5% floor for all situations other than those with intended automatic avoidance abilities active, though that makes no sense to me since the only time the 5% floor matters outside of those abilities is when you're fighting NPCs of *dramatically* lower level than you such that, even if they hit, they're completely ignorable).

It was a stealth change back in 1.4 that wasn't mentioned anywhere in the patch notes and was even ignored and unknown by the entire dev corps until such time that they actually did some hard core digging into what exactly caused it. It theoretically affects everyone, but the only ACs capable of actually generating a high enough defense chance that it actually impacts them is Jugg/Guards (via Blade Turning) and Shad/Sins (via Resilience/Shroud) so it's not entirely accurate to say that it affects *everyone* when it only affects those classes that specifically have abilities intended to make them unhittable for a time.

Whether it's working as intended depends upon which aspect of the "bug" you're looking into. Force Shroud, as an ability that adds 200% Resist Chance, is working entirely as intended. Force Shroud, as an ability that is supposed to render you immune to all incoming F/T attacks, is not. The dev comment made concerning their discovery stated that they known the problem but are having a hard time fixing it, for whatever reason (my guess is that they want to preserve the 5% floor for all situations other than those with intended automatic avoidance abilities active, though that makes no sense to me since the only time the 5% floor matters outside of those abilities is when you're fighting NPCs of *dramatically* lower level than you such that, even if they hit, they're completely ignorable).

Yay, someone that doesn't talk bull. Or puts his/her head into the sand.

Honestly, I really don't know why there would need to be the ability to bypassimmunities like this on a low chance.. even for pve. Hell, why doesn't it happen to hunker down? Would be just as fair.

Honestly, I really don't know why there would need to be the ability to bypassimmunities like this on a low chance.. even for pve. Hell, why doesn't it happen to hunker down? Would be just as fair.

The reason why it only affects Blade Turning and Resilience/Shroud is because *every other immunity effect in the game* applies a resistance to the effect (i.e. 100% reduction to the desired effect) rather than applying a 100% avoidance chance. I still have absolutely no clue why they'd put a floor on it for whatever reason. The only effects that are affected by it are those that the developers fully *intend* to avoid the 5% hit chance floor. Makes no sense whatsoever.

The reason why it only affects Blade Turning and Resilience/Shroud is because *every other immunity effect in the game* applies a resistance to the effect (i.e. 100% reduction to the desired effect) rather than applying a 100% avoidance chance. I still have absolutely no clue why they'd put a floor on it for whatever reason. The only effects that are affected by it are those that the developers fully *intend* to avoid the 5% hit chance floor. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Honestly, I think the bug goes beyond this. I should really pull my streams of ranked huttball matches. Nearly every ball grab I am either knocked back or grenaded through shroud, it absolutely does not feel like 5% in ranked huttball.

Honestly, I think the bug goes beyond this. I should really pull my streams of ranked huttball matches. Nearly every ball grab I am either knocked back or grenaded through shroud, it absolutely does not feel like 5% in ranked huttball.

Knock backs and every agent/smuggler CC seems to bypass shroud on the most consistent basis.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.