Operative or Sniper?

Shibbstah

Now, I've played both of them and I love them to death.

I love being ranged.

I love the melee dps.

I love the heals.

I just can't seem to pick which one I want to be, because I surely don't feel like leveling two separate Agents.

Thinking either Concealment Op, or Marksman Snipah.

I'm always so indecisive. :sul_frown:

have you considered making one imperial agent and one smuggler?

scoundrel and sniper

OR

gunslinger and operative

that way you wont play the same class but can experience the two diff playstyles

I'd recommend Operative, but I am biased. I personally find the Sniper class boring, but the Operative is epic and despite what people say you can DPS your *** off with Operatives since they changed the energy management mechanic with the 2.0 update.

Now, I've played both of them and I love them to death.

I love being ranged.

I love the melee dps.

I love the heals.

I just can't seem to pick which one I want to be, because I surely don't feel like leveling two separate Agents.

Thinking either Concealment Op, or Marksman Snipah.

I'm always so indecisive. :sul_frown:

Go Operative and Gunslinger. Sniper's boring compared to Gunslinger, and Operative's more fluent than Scoundrel.

Go Operative and Gunslinger. Sniper's boring compared to Gunslinger, and Operative's more fluent than Scoundrel.

Bwah? Sniper is clean and precise shots that go pew pew and kaboom while gunslinger is just derp let me shoot some bullets at ya and I hope they hit

Bwah? Sniper is clean and precise shots that go pew pew and kaboom while gunslinger is just derp let me shoot some bullets at ya and I hope they hit

Allan Quartermain put it best for gunslingers, 'Fire enough bullets and hope to hit the target.'

Of course snipers > gunslingers. And to add another Allan Quartermain quote, 'If you can't do it with one bullet, don't do it at all.'

Having already played a sniper some time ago I figured Op should be easier due to stealth and heals. Well, I might have been a tad wrong. Don't get me wrong, it's not terrible but I feel like I had a much easier time with sniper. Part of the reason may be with my choice of companions. I used Kaliyo until I got Doc and it wound up being a fairly quick run to 50 (this was way before the expac). Since then I unlocked HK-51 and figured I'd use him from level 1 and on. He helped tremendously for the first 20 or so levels before gearing him started to become a pain.

I tried Kaliyo but her gear was still behind and I just didn't feel mobs died fast enough. Right now it seems aim gear is at a premium (I see a ton more BH/Troopers around) but luckily HK uses cunning as well so I was able to get him up to speed faster than I would Kaliyo. That said, even with being fairly geared, he doesn't grab aggro which meant I had to heal more often.

My op is only 42 but I feel a bit underpowered compared to what my sniper felt like at the same level. The only saving grace is that i can stealth past most trash mobs. Looking back I should have concentrated more on Kaliyos gear so that at lest she could keep aggro. I have level 43 gear lined up for her so hoepfully the next 12 or so levels will be easier on me.

Long story short. Sniper will deal more damage than Op. Self healing is a non factor when mobs die quickly so if you go Op spec into DPS. You need a tank for the first 2 acts and/or a heal companion for the last act for either AC. Consider leveling as Cybertech to make armorings and mods. Use planetary comms to buy everything else.

It's all personal preference.

I got an Op to 55 almost just on the side. I mean, I thought I would play jedis - this is star wars after all.

But, Op is just too much fun.

I admit though, there is a period, around 35-45 where it seems kind of lethargic, stale - but it might be like that with every class =) I felt kind of weak during that time. But, right around 45+ you gets strong again.

My sniper has been stalled at like 25 or so, for like that past 2 2x exp periods. I just don't have much desire to play it. Seems too "easy," dare I say? But, some people like that.

The big bonus, as mentioned: stealth. It is so awesome to sneak past trash mobs doing quests/dailies.

I almost only do them with characters that can stealth - or not at all.

Op has got a decent story though, interesting companions - I seem to feel more connected to them, then almost any other crew (but sniper has the same ones) =)

Just raise them both =) or whatever, it's relatively easy to level - if you got a little patience/time.

Like said previously, it really is a matter of personal preference. I like playing ranged characters, so Sniper and Gunslinger are my natural choices. I like picking them off at a distance, while my companion either stirs up the hornet's nest or heals me.

I have never played a stealth character on Star Wars before, so I may create one once I complete the storylines for Sniper and Gunslinger.

I went operative for my agent and gunslinger for my smuggler. I just felt these fit the themes from the various promotional stuff released for TOR. Its personal preference at the end of the day but i've been very happy with these choices :)