Seriously best tree for pvp?

For a gunslinger, I'd say Sharpshooter for pretty much whatever. The sustained damage is good, the burst is unrivaled. You defensive attributes are the best of all of the trees in the class. I've heard that Dirty Fighting parses slightly higher on sustained, but PvP is all about the burst. If it takes more than 10 seconds to kill somebody, you've already lost.

The gunslinger is supposed to be the republic equivalent of the sniper, I can tell you that the sniper tree (lethality) does the dot damage with cull, ambush and snipe. Now, you have to remember that most of the straight damage abilities are regular weapon damage which are mitigated by armor. Plus, unless you have high hit chance you will miss on another player, believe me, I have played my sniper a long time and can tell you that. Having said that, the dots you put on players are internal damage, which is the least mitigated of all the damage types, the hardest to defend against is internal and elemental, most players only mitigate 10% of that damage, add in the 60% bonus from pvp boost damage and it does a lot of damage. What you do is throw your dots on multiple targets to start, you get energy back for each crit with those dots too, then you (cull) or needle them right after, throw in the equivalent shot that hits hard and repeats for 5K average, ambush, snipe. Most healers do not cleanse their teammates, trust me, I have large icons for the debuffs on and they rarely cleanse their own because they are too worried about the power shots coming right after.

I can tell you in a pug group I can dish out 1 - 1.5 million damage with that spec (lethality), your dots just burn those around them while you focus one and burst them down. I'm not sure what the gunslinger talent tree is called but it is the far right one. Played even half decently you will be on the top all the time and hated everywhere by healers. Don't forget to stick and move.

Edited by SithKerr
typo

Dirty Fighting will put up the best DPS numbers due to high sustained damage. However, Sharpshooter has higher burst and is a more efficient killer. It's also great with being able to pop Snipers out of cover, which is a must in rated Huttballs. And I find Saboteur to be the best node guarder in the game, even better than stealth classes.

So it guess it depends on the map, your team, your playstyle, and your goals. For me personally, this is what I normally do

Civil War - Sharpshooter

HuttBalll - Sharpshooter

Novare - Sharpshooter

Voidstar - Dirty Fighting

Hypergate - Dirty Fighting

If your main interest is putting out large total damage values, dirty fighting is the way to go. Shrap Bomb wreaks havoc when it doesn't get cleansed, and being an AoE DoT you can have it ticking on large groups of enemies for sustained periods of time.

Like mentioned before, saboteur is probably the best for node-guarding. Shock Charge and Incendiary Grenade equip you with an extra slow and stun, not to mention if you master rolling in place, using Sabotage and rolling in place again you have some disgustingly overpowered burst potential.

Sharpshooter is, in my experience, more of a utility tree for PvP. It makes you the most untouchable for melee classes, Ballistic Dampers and Cover Screen give you more survivability and speccing around leg shot allows you to easily neutralize an enemy healer by leaving them stranded in the open while you have the potential to rain down consecutive big hitters.

Pick your poison.

For a gunslinger, I'd say Sharpshooter for pretty much whatever. The sustained damage is good, the burst is unrivaled. You defensive attributes are the best of all of the trees in the class. I've heard that Dirty Fighting parses slightly higher on sustained, but PvP is all about the burst. If it takes more than 10 seconds to kill somebody, you've already lost.

The DF/Sabo Hybrid burst is much higher then the SS one. Also, I've had many more good matches with the hybrid over SS precisely because it does take a second or two to set up that burst. People get cocky, and try to take you to the face . . .and then they melt. The best thing SS has going for it is it's 0 set up burst. . . even then, not really all that impressive.

I've never once lost a 1 v 1 to a similar geared and skilled SSer. Ever.

If you arn't trying to be the first line of attack, and hanging back slightly and plowing away at people at range (as you should) 0 set up burst is meh. I trade 1-3 seconds of set-up where I'm not being attacked anyway, for a dramatically higher burst, drastically better AoE ability, keeping most cloak classes from cloaking out, and better mobility. This is a pretty straight forward trade.

I'm more of an old school GS'er, and have thoroughly played all 3 specs for quite some time, but even post 2.0 with the changes to DF I found myself coming back to Sabo. For Huttball I used to sit on my MM spec, but now I usually am running DF or Sabo for this. Novare, Void Star, Civil War & Anicent Hypergates I am running Sabo completely and haven't noticed any difference in effectiveness. While at the end of the fight I might be 150k less on damage than say a DF GS'er, the utility granted via Sabo is just too much for me to pass up. I do switch from time to time to change it up, and the great thing about GS, is all 3 specs are very solid.

I'm more of an old school GS'er, and have thoroughly played all 3 specs for quite some time, but even post 2.0 with the changes to DF I found myself coming back to Sabo. For Huttball I used to sit on my MM spec, but now I usually am running DF or Sabo for this. Novare, Void Star, Civil War & Anicent Hypergates I am running Sabo completely and haven't noticed any difference in effectiveness. While at the end of the fight I might be 150k less on damage than say a DF GS'er, the utility granted via Sabo is just too much for me to pass up. I do switch from time to time to change it up, and the great thing about GS, is all 3 specs are very solid.

I was just going to post that everyone is neglecting the utility of Sab. It is fantastic for PvP, and my preferred. The others are quite strong too. No matter how much the OP would like us to define the best spec, it's just impossible to do so because all of them have something that they bring to the table that the others don't and they all are good for different situations.

I to have played all 3 and also have found them all to be very affective in different situations. I personally like Sab and DF most. I think sabo is awesome in void star because people tend to be bunched up which makes it easy to just rain down on them making it difficult for healers and a great way to guard doors at same time. DF is good against tanks and stick and move out of LoS let em bleed then stick em again it's a blast

I run a sab/df slinger and a MM sniper. both are fun in their own right but the full rotation (sabotage charge of cd) of the hybrid has insane burst. it takes some set up time, but is more mobile and can function out of cover (if, say, you're hit with diversion by a MM sniper)

thats a matter of opinion

a sabo/dirtyfighting mixed skill got very good defensiv skills. i like the mobility from this skill. wont change or miss it.

Solo q? SS for effective healer-killing, DF for overall pressure.

Sabo comes into its own in a smart group, though a lot of people only use it with field respec on defensive rounds/positions.

a sabo/dirtyfighting mixed skill got very good defensiv skills. i like the mobility from this skill.
Pure SS used to have mobility issues, but the add-on you get to your roll at the top of the SS tree now fixes this. Edited by flem

• 2 weeks later...

As others have said I prefer saboteur over the other builds. The utility of the spec is amazing and once you've tried it there's no going back...unless you just like damage in which case firty fighting but for me that's a waste of the class.

We shouldn't be measured on damage alone.

Edited by BaineOs

I come from a mediocre pvp server, so my opinion may not be the best.

But dat Sabo/Eng, oh lawdy.

Sharps/Marks is okay for me.

I dislike everything about DF/Leth (Unless i'm on my Operative)

Edited by Vhexit

So I am seeing a great interest in using the Hybrid specs I see here, but what is the rotation for this hybrid spec? I ask mainly because although I like my GS SS, I would like to try a different build. I'm in all 69's with a few 72's and full ADV augs of +32 Cunning/+20 End? sitting around 2900 Cunning.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Full Saboteur shines a little brighter on maps where you can guarantee people are going to congregate. So your Novare coasts where you know an extended fight South is almost inevitable. It lacks some of the all purpose kill power of other specs though. Your stacks of 'Blazing Speed' are easily disrupted, and if people aren't stacking or really focused on one objective its' hard to get mileage out of your AoEs.

SS is good if you can plop yourself down in a spot thats' going to remain relevant (especially if your team is winning since you'll be unassailible)... but I find it less desirable in any situation where you might have to move around at all. So while outright its' monster, it starts to fall flat if you have to readjust to work on healers or if you have a determined ranged harassing you while LoSing.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700bZbcZhMrkrrRkrsuR.3

The above is my personal favorite every down spec. If your team is getting stomped, you're DF so you can resort to pressuring with DoTs and being mobile without suffering as your team gets pushed around the map. With Dirty Trickster for immobilize breaking, and a Blaster Whip speed boost you have a few more options for dealing with melee who jump you.

And unlike Hybrid you don't get ****ed quite as badly by competent LoS/Cleanse happy healers while throwing about normal rotations. Also as far as big finishers go the fact you can prep targets you've dotted with Flashbang, and then following up with Sab Charge > Aimed Shot > Take Down(Applying sab won't break your mez, and besides the animation for Take Down it will hit within less than a global of Aimed Shot).

Situational but in terms of damage dealt in the span of 1.5-2~ seconds not even SS or Saboteur can match it, and its' incredibly good for solo killing healers or node guarders. (Granted Sab and SS do have good burst, but even at the height of their rotations the damage doesn't happen as quickly nor are the targets CC'd when it does happen, which sort of miffs the chance you're going to finish someone before they react).

Edited by FROIDBUSTER

• 2 weeks later...

I have found all 3 specs very viable and have strengths and weaknesses in different areas. My personal fav is sab/eng but will switch a chance time to time. Where sab/eng is weakest (mobile and spread out fights) can often be made up with their greatest equalizer: Wallbang!

Many complain about the last talent being the weakest and situational but I personally use it on cooldown in my single target rotations because it is yet another stun, has built is slow and damage is front loaded so offers actual effective damage in a fight. Of course node defense as sab/eng is pure brilliance.

Edited by Tamanous

• 2 weeks later...
This of course all depends on if we are talking about everyday regular warzones or if we are talking about doing ranked warzones. To me there is no question that either Saboteur or Sharpshooter are best in ranked. The Hybrid and DF are just not going to cut it due to the fact that most good ranked teams are going to cleanse your dots quickly. Having to reapply dots multiple times to get your wounding shots off on a target is not gonna cut it when someone is bursting you down. You need to have the quick burst of Sharpshooter or the utility of Sab if your dealing with that kind of situation. In regular warzones I would say the hybrid is my favorite spec. Most people in regular warzones do not cleanse either fast enough or at all and the burst you get from that spec is bar none the best. Just my two cents.