The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Please don't bring back old cartel packs!

I agree with the OP and it seems most don't. Bringing these packs back is a short-sited business decision. Just like most business decisions. Sure they will make a nice chunk off of these packs but they destabilize the in-game economy and will hurt their next set of packs going out of print sales. If they were never to come back people would buy 10x as many b4 they left. Instead they will just say, I'll just get them when they come back. This is like Baseball Card Company rereleasing their 1952 Topps cards, not reprints. They would get a ton of money up front but kill the Golden Goose.

and what about new players who never had the chance to buy them previously and would like a chance to fill out collections or have a chance at say a revans set? There is nothing wrong with bringing old packs back, opening sales to new players or players wanting some of the older items will outweigh the "going out of business sales". And by bringing old packs back they tend to stabilize the economy not destabilize simply by maintaining the relative prices and not letting them get too out of control (i. e a revans belt should stay around 2mil and not get anywhere near 5 or higher).

Consider the possibility that:

If a company says "this is a limited time offer", it's entirely rational and legit to stock up on those things. That's the whole damned reason something would be limited time in the first place.

So it's not unreasonable for him to want something to stay gone, after he made the trusting and rational decision to profit from the scarce item. If it turns out not to be scarce, then it's just a lie.

Dismissing him as greedy isn't right.

Only problem here is that they never said it was a limited time offer.

They clearly stated that the packs would return someday...

I agree with the OP and it seems most don't. Bringing these packs back is a short-sited business decision. Just like most business decisions. Sure they will make a nice chunk off of these packs but they destabilize the in-game economy and will hurt their next set of packs going out of print sales. If they were never to come back people would buy 10x as many b4 they left. Instead they will just say, I'll just get them when they come back. This is like Baseball Card Company rereleasing their 1952 Topps cards, not reprints. They would get a ton of money up front but kill the Golden Goose.

Well the only ones that are making short-sighted business decisions here are the people who buy the packs that are going "out of print" because they think they'll make a billion credits in a few years.

Bioware has clearly stated each time anything was embargoed that it was for a limited time and that they would return in the future.

As for your baseball analogy, it is lacking a few things:

First off, a baseball card can be traded over and over... these items are bound once you use them.

So unless you only buy them as investments, they are gonna dissapear.

Secondly, this isn't a set of collectors items. They are meant to be used. They are not designed to be collected for future sales (no matter how much you might want them to be)

Dear Bioware,

Please do not bring back older cartel packs. Doing so will take the rarity out of quite a bit of items. Instead, please have the rare cartel pack items discontinued. It's already quite easy to amass wealth in-game, so the rare items are the only thing keeping a lot of players (like myself) from having hundreds of millions of credits lieing around. Let's take Revan's mask for example, the cartel packs re-realease, everyone who has Revan's mask panics and sells it for a very low price, then it become a common item, destroying the economy and letting people sit around with their mass of credits again.

Now I understand re-releasing the old packs will make you guys money, but what will happen is rare items become common, effectively lowering the price so that everyone has them, and while everything is cheap, people get rich because they no longer rare and expensive items to go after, then people stop relying on cartel packs for money to buy the things they want, finally, you lose money.

So in the end, my suggestion is to make the older cartel items discontinued, and don't bring back old cartel packs. It isn't fair to the people that collect rares. I'd rather just sell my Revan set than have it become common.

OP is just another greedy jerk in the world of MMOs

Please do not bring back older cartel packs. Doing so will take the rarity out of quite a bit of items.

I don't agree. Items in packs already have their own rarity. I'm going to throw the Cathar Honor Sword onto the table for example. I'm not in game, and I'm not bothering to check which pack it comes from or it's rarity. But if that sword is Super-Duper-Infinitely-Rare, then few people will actually find one in their pack. Just because the pack is back doesn't mean everyone in game will get their hands on a sword; doesn't mean that GTN sales of that sword will drop down to a two-digit number. Instead, the supply of More-Common-Than-Dirt Puke Green Indestructible crystals will skyrocket. So the price of the item no one wants will get even cheaper, but your Super-Duper-Infinitely-Rare item isn't going to become dirt cheap overnight.

It's already quite easy to amass wealth in-game, so the rare items are the only thing keeping a lot of players (like myself) from having hundreds of millions of credits lieing around.

That, I just have to scoff. Apparently, everyone in this game, except me, knows the location of the Fountain of Wealth. What's the stinkin' secret? Which one of these buttons is the gift-millions-per-day button?

So in the end, my suggestion is to make the older cartel items discontinued, and don't bring back old cartel packs. It isn't fair to the people that collect rares. I'd rather just sell my Revan set than have it become common.

Eventually, said items will become "extinct". There will be no such thing as an unbound version of that item. How is that fair to new players? In 10 years, maybe all the current players will flush out and all we'll have left is new players. They will never see said items, except exploring collections; wondering what life was like back when certain items were available to players.

Besides, don't be greedy. Let's say there's one unbound Revan belt left in the entire shard. Who is ready and willing to pay potentially billions of credits for a stupid belt? GTN prices are so ridiculous.

Example: Account-wide unlocks for features that are normally available to subscribers sell for about 600k credits on the GTN.

Let me ask you, who NEEDS those account-wide unlocks? No subscriber needs them. The only ones who needs them are Free and Preferred players. But, did you realize that said players have a credit cap at 350k? Thus, the people who truly need such unlocks can never afford them.

Bringing these packs back is a short-sited business decision. Just like most business decisions. Sure they will make a nice chunk off of these packs but they destabilize the in-game economy and will hurt their next set of packs going out of print sales.

The same economy selling common Purple/Black dye modules for millions? The economy can use a "Black Friday". Not everyone is a quadrillionare; some of us are capped off at 350k. Others just don't know the location of this secret fountain of wealth that spew millions per day.

Regal Apparel Miniskirt. My smuggler on Jedi Covenant bought one for 60k. I recently checked, though, and I found that the Regal Apparel Miniskirt is selling for about 600k on the GTN. That's just ridiculous for a tube-shaped piece of cloth! How are new players supposed to afford that? As the supply goes down, the prices will go up. Are we going to end up paying 1,000,000 credits for a tube-shaped piece of cloth? I'm not made of credits, I wouldn't mind seeing some prices go down on certain items.

For those of you who are worried about your "rare" items loosing value, just sell your wares while they're still valuable. It's like the gold market here in the real world: Buy when the prices are low, sell when the prices are high. Don't complain that your "gold" has past it's peak and is started to get cheaper; sell it so that the penny you'll make will still be pretty.

• 4 months later...
Dear Bioware,

Please do not bring back older cartel packs. Doing so will take the rarity out of quite a bit of items. Instead, please have the rare cartel pack items discontinued. It's already quite easy to amass wealth in-game, so the rare items are the only thing keeping a lot of players (like myself) from having hundreds of millions of credits lieing around. Let's take Revan's mask for example, the cartel packs re-realease, everyone who has Revan's mask panics and sells it for a very low price, then it become a common item, destroying the economy and letting people sit around with their mass of credits again.

Now I understand re-releasing the old packs will make you guys money, but what will happen is rare items become common, effectively lowering the price so that everyone has them, and while everything is cheap, people get rich because they no longer rare and expensive items to go after, then people stop relying on cartel packs for money to buy the things they want, finally, you lose money.

But what about the people that wish to collect the sets of armor for their own true cartel collection, because when you collect it you cant sell it after it is in your collection perhaps people just wish to collect armors that bring back good memory's while you just sound greedy wanting to sell when some of us just like to RP and have the choice to change armors and have fun by spending are hard earned real life money compared to grinding all day in game to try to buy overpriced gear up to 10 million creds that's rather absurd