Balance vs. TK (given the Bug on TK)

XantosCledwin

I was wondering which Spec would be better to run for a DPS oriented Sage in light of the bug that is currently afflicting the Telekinetics Tree. I ask because someone over on the Sorcerer forums is insisting that even though the Telekinetics/Lightning Tree have a bug that they are still the superior tree to be running and that people should still be running that tree.

I play both PvP and PvE. My Sage is currently level 26 (almost level 27, probably will be 27 after I hand in a quest or two, or once 1:00 CDT hits). And I am currently specced in the Balance Tree. I had originally specced that tree because I had heard that it is incredibly good for PvP, but now I am speccing it because it is not afflicted by the Telekinetics Bug. I am wanting to know if this is the correct way to look at things, or whether I should in fact be speccing Telekinetics anyways.

If I am supposed to be speccing Telekinetics anyways, I would appreciate it if someone who has more experience with the Telekinetics Tree could offer me a reasonable Rotation to take a look at in light of the bug that is occurring in the Telekinetics Tree at the current time.

I was wondering which Spec would be better to run for a DPS oriented Sage in light of the bug that is currently afflicting the Telekinetics Tree. I ask because someone over on the Sorcerer forums is insisting that even though the Telekinetics/Lightning Tree have a bug that they are still the superior tree to be running and that people should still be running that tree.

I play both PvP and PvE. My Sage is currently level 26 (almost level 27, probably will be 27 after I hand in a quest or two, or once 1:00 CDT hits). And I am currently specced in the Balance Tree. I had originally specced that tree because I had heard that it is incredibly good for PvP, but now I am speccing it because it is not afflicted by the Telekinetics Bug. I am wanting to know if this is the correct way to look at things, or whether I should in fact be speccing Telekinetics anyways.

If I am supposed to be speccing Telekinetics anyways, I would appreciate it if someone who has more experience with the Telekinetics Tree could offer me a reasonable Rotation to take a look at in light of the bug that is occurring in the Telekinetics Tree at the current time.

You are level 26, "almost 27," it truly does not matter in the smallest little bit which spec you run. When people talk specs, they are generally talking end game. Besides, people that tell you that you ought to spec one way or another are being asinine. Just play whichever you prefer - especially while you are leveling. I offer up various specs to play at end game and their resulting hypothetical DPS - but you need not worry about that until you hit 55 and start raiding.

You are level 26, "almost 27," it truly does not matter in the smallest little bit which spec you run. When people talk specs, they are generally talking end game. Besides, people that tell you that you ought to spec one way or another are being asinine. Just play whichever you prefer - especially while you are leveling. I offer up various specs to play at end game and their resulting hypothetical DPS - but you need not worry about that until you hit 55 and start raiding.

Nibbon, given the bug, if you were going to spec an End Game DPS Sage, which spec would you chose? Hypothetically speaking.

I just did some testing on the Telekinetic Spec using my Sage vs. a Training Dummy... and it appears that either the Bug doesn't trigger all that often, or that the Bug has been fixed entirely. Whichever it is, it is enough to make me question whether or not TK might be worth taking now or not. If it is fixed then TK with its higher burst damage may actually be the better spec to take.

After some extensive testing on both Balance and TK, I have found that I think I like Balance better than TK. But despite that fact, I think I am going to try to utilize TK some more while leveling (on the advice of a person I spoke to on my server). This way I can get used to using both specs and be capable of fighting using both TK and Balance equally. Edited by XantosCledwin

I would wager he would say Balance lol.

hah - I'd go with my previous answer of "it does not matter." You are leveling up, they are both viable. In fact hybrid is viable while leveling up too with extra AoE - though you don't get forcequake til mid 30s or so.

I personally think balance is easier to play in general.

You are level 26, "almost 27," it truly does not matter in the smallest little bit which spec you run.

I respectfully disagree, at least from a PvP perspective.

My sorceress is level 53, and she was 100% madness(balance) all the time

My sage is 35 currently, and he is 100% TK since i made him.

The sage game at low levels is strongly favoring balance, IMHO. Reason being, you get the most important 'stuff' at low levels as balance, but high levels as TK.

Take FiB. You get it at 20 and it's ready to go, but TK wave is of very little use until you get Tidal force 5 levels later. As madness, i could top damage charts just from spamming force lightning, dropping death field(FiB) here and there and spamming dots. As a TK sage, i was performing much worse, but noticed big jumps in effectiveness when i got tidal force, another big jump when i got telekinetic momentum, and yet another when i got reverberation.

From my experience, as levels increase, the madness gradually loses its punch(compared to how good i had it at low levels) while the TK gains it. I would say that at low levels, balance is the way to go (reason why i am full TK is i wanted to try something new and see how well it will go)

=======================

Regarding the TK bug: It's not a big issue for me, because i always try to cast TK wave while moving - that way i make sure it won't try to 'hardcast' and thus never is affected by the bug.

Edited by Sharee

There are videos online that describe how the bug happens and how to avoid/fix the issue. It sucks when it happens, but it can be avoided for the most part. Both trees are good, both have their issues in PVE and PVP. For leveling purposes you should go straight up the balance tree imho (fib/pom are priorities), and buy yourself field respec so you can figure out what spec fits how you want to play.

I respectfully disagree, at least from a PvP perspective.

I figured he was asking me about PvE since that is my main expertise, so my answer was purely from the perspective of PvE play.

As for PvP - I do not think my PvE builds would be best for PvPers without some slight modifications of utility.

BTW - the bug is slated to be fixed in 2.2.2 (next patch - I think 2 weeks from today).

Edited by Nibbon

• 2 weeks later...

For PvP I hope this answers your question.

Both TK and Balance will do considerable damage. Since you are above 25 TK will be great with a chance at instant cast Force in Balance. But here's one sentence that sums up everything.

TK has considerable burst damage and is best used outside the fray, while Balance has the better ability to kite and stay on the move.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.