Why does Sage gear always get gimped - looks-wise.

Monkfishysnow

Seriously... I come back after a year away and I come back to all this shiny new gear. So I go and take a look at the Sage gear as I'm a level 50 sage. After seeing all the awesome looking armour on the Imperial side and some cool looking Republic gear (that's a surprise) I had my hopes up that Sage gear was going to be awesome too but alas it was gimped again. If anyone remembers Columi and Rakata Gear for Sages (Fan Head).

To my utter dissapointment. Catastrophe, gear that looks worse than the fan head. Brown robes everywhere, weird shapes all over the place, horrible disgusting. I put a 1,000,000 credit bounty on some good looking Sage gear. Nobody found any.

Whoever is designing Sage gear or Republic gear in general, please get your act together! WE DON'T WANT UGLY BROWN ROBES ALL THE TIME! OR GIANT FAN HEADS! OR WEIRD HALF FACE MASK THINGs! :mad:

Please someone just go and look at the Classic, Basic, Elite, Ultimate and EVERYTHING ELSE gear for Sage's and come back and tell me it's not all ugly as hell.

PLEASE THIS IS A CRY FOR HELP!

TL;DR Stop making Sage gear look ugly and ridiculous all at the same time, thank you.

Edited by Monkfishysnow
Grammar.

I haven't looked at it yet myself. But have you had the opportunity to look at the Nightmare Mode Scum and Villainy Reward Armor for the Sage yet? From what I understand that gear is pretty good looking, if for no other reason than the animated lights on it and the cool lightsaber.

Seriously... I come back after a year away and I come back to all this shiny new gear. So I go and take a look at the Sage gear as I'm a level 50 sage. After seeing all the awesome looking armour on the Imperial side and some cool looking Republic gear (that's a surprise) I had my hopes up that Sage gear was going to be awesome too but alas it was gimped again. If anyone remembers Columi and Rakata Gear for Sages (Fan Head).

To my utter dissapointment. Catastrophe, gear that looks worse than the fan head. Brown robes everywhere, weird shapes all over the place, horrible disgusting. I put a 1,000,000 credit bounty on some good looking Sage gear. Nobody found any.

Whoever is designing Sage gear or Republic gear in general, please get your act together! WE DON'T WANT UGLY BROWN ROBES ALL THE TIME! OR GIANT FAN HEADS! OR WEIRD HALF FACE MASK THINGs! :mad:

Please someone just go and look at the Classic, Basic, Elite, Ultimate and EVERYTHING ELSE gear for Sage's and come back and tell me it's not all ugly as hell.

PLEASE THIS IS A CRY FOR HELP!

TL;DR Stop making Sage gear look ugly and ridiculous all at the same time, thank you.

People wonder why my Sage wears the Republic Dancer's outfit. Two reasons.

1. It's sexy.

2. Its not the godawful crap sages get... I gladly pay the credits ripping the mods out and putting them in my Republic Dancer's outfit... because the sage gear is beyond bad.

People wonder why my Sage wears the Republic Dancer's outfit. Two reasons.

1. It's sexy.

2. Its not the godawful crap sages get... I gladly pay the credits ripping the mods out and putting them in my Republic Dancer's outfit... because the sage gear is beyond bad.

If by sexy you mean "It turns a female character into an object to be oogled, instead of a strong leading lady" then yes I suppose it is.

As for the godawful crap that sages get, I suppose that depends entirely on the opinion of the person looking at the gear, doesn't it? Afterall, the statement is I believe that "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder."

I'm wearing the matriarchal clothing on my sage and it looks very good on her. Very Jedi sagey like.

http://tor-fashion.com/2013/06/01/sibylline-the-red-eclipse/

On my shadow I have the eradicator's set

http://tor-fashion.com/2013/04/10/eradicator/

I like the look of that first set for a good Sage, the second set looks cool too, just not for my character.

At the moment I'm ripping all the mods out of my Battlemaster gear (thank god I still have it) and replacing them with the Makeb mods.

I haven't looked at it yet myself. But have you had the opportunity to look at the Nightmare Mode Scum and Villainy Reward Armor for the Sage yet? From what I understand that gear is pretty good looking, if for no other reason than the animated lights on it and the cool lightsaber.

All I've looked at are the level 55 vendors for all tiers of gear PvE and PvP. If the armour you're talking about isn't in those vendors I haven't seen it, and if it is in any of those vendors it doesn't look pretty good. :p

As for the godawful crap that sages get, I suppose that depends entirely on the opinion of the person looking at the gear, doesn't it? Afterall, the statement is I believe that "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder."

You're right, the look of gear is based solely on opinion, but I am much less than satisfied, personally, and many seem to be of a like mind. It's just pretty depressing seeing all this cool gear on every other class, and I just had to pick the class with (in my opinion) the worst looking gear of the bunch.

You're right, the look of gear is based solely on opinion, but I am much less than satisfied, personally, and many seem to be of a like mind. It's just pretty depressing seeing all this cool gear on every other class, and I just had to pick the class with (in my opinion) the worst looking gear of the bunch.

There is plenty of gear in the game that can be equipped to Sage that looks plenty good aesthetically speaking as far as the story and mythos of the Jedi Sage and Shadow are concerned. If Aesthetics are all you are concerned about when selecting gear, then feel free to pick one of those, especially now that the set bonuses for high end gear are no longer tied to the gear themselves, but rather to the armoring instead and can thus be ripped out of them and equipped to something more aesthetically appealing.

I am just saying that from a purely technical perspective, you cannot go around saying that the gear for sage is god awful, because there must be someone out there somewhere to whom it is appealing. And might I add that the Sage gear is possibly more appealing on a male sage than it is a female sage (but that is just my opinion).

Personally I have my Sage equipped with the Relaxed Uniform Shirt and a skirt, but that is only my own preference. I find that more appealing than the sage gear and less morally questionable than the dancers outfits.

Personally I have my Sage equipped with the Relaxed Uniform Shirt and a skirt, but that is only my own preference. I find that more appealing than the sage gear and less morally questionable than the dancers outfits.

Imho, although the Dancer's Outfit is way too revealing, the Relaxed Uniform Shirt is not exactly what I think a Jedi Sage would wear either.

Mind you, my female sage is wearing the exact same thing but a shirtless male Sage or a female Sage wearing something that barely hides her breasts is not what I consider "proper" Jedi attire.

I know there's a debate on whether the Jedi could/should have relationships and if the Jedi Order merely frowns upon or outright disapproves of the concept of sexuality/love, but we do get a quest on Tython that's about two Padawans in love and we are told that this is not something that should've happened. It's hard to imagine that an Order that disapproves of the love of two young people, would approve "going shirtless" or wearing anything too revealing.

Edited by TheNahash

Imho, although the Dancer's Outfit is way too revealing, the Relaxed Uniform Shirt is not exactly what I think a Jedi Sage would wear either.

Mind you, my female sage is wearing the exact same thing but a shirtless male Sage or a female Sage wearing something that barely hides her breasts is not what I consider "proper" Jedi attire.

I know there's a debate on whether the Jedi could/should have relationships and if the Jedi Order merely frowns upon or outright disapproves the concept of sexuality/love, but we do get a quest on Tython that's about two Padawans in love and we are told that this is not something that should've happened. It's hard to imagine that an Order that disapproves of the love of two young people, would approve "going shirtless" or wearing anything too revealing.

do I really need to Cite this image. Here you have a Jedi (not sure if Aayla is the in Canon equivalent to a Consular or a Knight, but she is still a Jedi) who is wearing an outfit that is just as revealing as the Relaxed Uniform Shirt. And I am absolutely certain she does not get any crap about it being improper for a young lady to wear such outfits.

Of course in her case it may just be what is expected from a Twi'lek. But seeing as how she is a FREE Twi'lek, I would think she would feel a bit more modesty. But apparently not.

Oh and lets not even bring up Snips (aka Ahsoka). Her entire wardrobe practically oozes Tube Tops.

Please don't bring morality into the discussion, because your morals are not my morals and neither of our morals are my friends' morals nor are any of our morals the morals of an exotic dancer or online model (of which I know many who are strong feminists, yet take their clothes off on the internet and I've see where people have asked them what they say to people who question their morality or worse how the can justify being a "feminist stripper"...)

This thread is about not liking the look of the end game Sage gear, not to discuss the (im)morality of girls showing skin.

Please don't bring morality into the discussion, because your morals are not my morals and neither of our morals are my friends' morals nor are any of our morals the morals of an exotic dancer or online model (of which I know many who are strong feminists, yet take their clothes off on the internet and I've see where people have asked them what they say to people who question their morality or worse how the can justify being a "feminist stripper"...)

This thread is about not liking the look of the end game Sage gear, not to discuss the (im)morality of girls showing skin.

I apologize for bringing morality into the discussion. My main issue with the dancer outfits is not when a genuine woman wears them (when that happens I am all for said woman being allowed to do as she pleases). My issue is when a guy puts said outfits on a female character for the sole purpose of objectifying the female character as an object he can get off to. I do not feel that any genuine feminist would appreciate that, and I personally try not to dress my female characters (with the exception of female companions / npc's) in such a manner as I find it disrespectful to my sensibilities.

And even in the case of female companions and NPC's, I generally only dress them in the Imperial Dancer outfit which is far less revealing than the other dancer outfits on the market. As I don't have female companions on the Republic Side as yet I have not decided whether or not I will be dressing them in such clothing or not, but I probably won't as there aren't any dancer outfits that are at all similar to the Imperial Dancers Outfit.

There's dye kits now, you can turn brown robes to multi coloured if you're that upset.

Using Cartel Coins shouldn't be necessary for a good looking character.

It's obvious what BioWare are doing. They removed the awesome looking gear from the game. The old Columi, Rakata, Battlemaster etc... Most of which looked good! (even the Sage PvP gear was nice) and instead replaced them with ugly gear, and repurposed the gear they removed to the Cartel Market.

On the Cartel Market there is lots of gear that closely resembles gear removed from the game. They also use very bland colours and colours that do not go well so people purchase Dye with Cartel Coins, and they are doing it so obviously that it just makes me not want to play.

Ugly end-game gear was an issue with most people and is why a lot of people quit in the first place. But the new end-game gear is horrific. I've looked at many messege boards, lots of forums and websites. I'd say 8/10 people dislike 90% of all the end-game gear. and the other 2/10 like around 50% of the Imperial gear.

Edited by Monkfishysnow

I just realised something even worse. Gear looks the same for both PvP and PvE for the same tier.

How it was.

http://www.jedicodex.com/wp-content/uploads/rakata_master.jpg - Rakata Force-Master Gear for DPS Sage.

http://www.jedicodex.com/wp-content/uploads/battlemaster_master.jpg - Battlemaster Force-Master Gear for DPS Sage.

http://www.jedicodex.com/wp-content/uploads/rakata_stalker.jpg - Rakata Stalker Gear for DPS Shadow.

http://www.oldrepublic.net/content/attachments/1650d1332163202-%5Bfemale%5D-bm-stalkers.jpg/ - Battlemaster Stalker Gear for DPS Shadow.

(Compare Rakata Force-Master to Rakata Stalker and Battlemaster Force-Master to Battlemaster Stalker)

It all looks different, but now all tiers of PvE look like the same as the equivalent tiers of PvP, and advance class gear for each base class looks the same (e.g - Shadow gear looks identical to Sage gear). It's ridiculous, just so they can get a few extra $ in their pocket from people buying half-decent looking gear on the Kartel Market and from Dye's

There is only one way to fix this.

1) Make PvP gear and PvE gear look different from one another even at the same tier. - Also make them have different colour schemes/slight differences dependant upon the advanced class the gear is suited for. (e.g Stalker and Survivor gear (Shadow) looks different to Force-master and Force-Mystic.(Sage))

2) Improve the aesthetic visuals of endgame gear.

3) Simplify the way you gear up.

4) Make recolours in game cash and cheap. Why the hell would Dye cost anything in a universe with giant robots and spaceships?

5) Make all customizable gear into adaptive gear.

Edited by Monkfishysnow

I apologize for bringing morality into the discussion. My main issue with the dancer outfits is not when a genuine woman wears them (when that happens I am all for said woman being allowed to do as she pleases). My issue is when a guy puts said outfits on a female character for the sole purpose of objectifying the female character as an object he can get off to. I do not feel that any genuine feminist would appreciate that, and I personally try not to dress my female characters (with the exception of female companions / npc's) in such a manner as I find it disrespectful to my sensibilities.

And even in the case of female companions and NPC's, I generally only dress them in the Imperial Dancer outfit which is far less revealing than the other dancer outfits on the market. As I don't have female companions on the Republic Side as yet I have not decided whether or not I will be dressing them in such clothing or not, but I probably won't as there aren't any dancer outfits that are at all similar to the Imperial Dancers Outfit.

True, but I've known women who have no problem with guys dressing female characters in skimpy outfits, and I've known some who do. In fact, there was a huge discussion about it on the City of Heroes forums about it and skimpy clothes in City of Heroes. I agree entirely that objectification is a problem, but I don't think that a male (or female) drawing (or in this case putting on game avatar) a skimpy outfit has to be seen as objectification no matter what the case. For example, I tend to play female characters more than males, so of my 30+ characters on City of Heroes, 29 were female. 2 were dressed skimpy. One because she was a succubus, and the other because she was a psychopathic comic book supervillainess. It was just appropriate in my mind for her to dress super-sexy and be completely psychotic (If you want, I can PM you a webpage where you can see a picture of her) As for Star Wars, yes my sage wears the republic dancer outfit (and has ever since it was "light armor" before they made them "adaptive" armor), my shadow wears the elegant loungewear dyed a nice red and white, my sentinel wears the aspiring knight outfit (kinda like Aayla Secura if you don't know what it looks like), my assassin wears the imperial dancer outfit (she's twi'lek) my marauder wears the relaxed jumpsuit... my smuggler wears Huttsbane's Garmnents, and finally my bounty hunter wears full heavy armor plate like a bounty hunter should. The rest of my characters are male, and I'm actually looking into getting that new relaxed uniform or whatever for my guardian. A guy walking around shirtless showing off his chest could be seen as objectification by some people... does that mean I shouldn't do it?

Also, be very careful saying "genuine feminist" as I mentioned, I know a few nude models that are feminists, and you've not seen a feminist get mad until you've seen a nude model feminist go off on someone telling her she's "doing feminism wrong" or that she's not a proper feminist because she works in the sex industry.

I would never deign to tell a woman that she cannot work in the sex industry or work as a nude model and also be a feminist.

Look, I apologize if I came off negatively. I did not mean to say that there aren't feminists who work in said industry as I know for a fact that there are. What I am trying to convey is that I think it is disrespectful to women in general for guys to go around dressing digital representations of the female form in as skimpy an outfit as they can possibly find with the probable intent to get off to that digital representation of the female form. I highly doubt there is a single male in existence who has not thought of doing such a thing with the avatars in Star Wars, and I find it highly inappropriate.

But then again, there are some who would call me a hypocrite since I have one of the Tops from the Relaxed Series of outfits on my Sage and I dressed my Marauders female companions in the Imperial Dancers outfits. But then again I do not view the NPC's in quite the same light as I do the actual Playable Characters. To me a playable character represents you in the game and thus should be treated with the same respect that you would like to receive in the real world. This is why I do not dress my PC's in the skimpiest of the outfits in the game. While my Sage wears a Relaxed Uniform Shirt, She is also wearing the Force Initiate's Lower Robe which is a full length skirt.

I would never deign to tell a woman that she cannot work in the sex industry or work as a nude model and also be a feminist.

Look, I apologize if I came off negatively. I did not mean to say that there aren't feminists who work in said industry as I know for a fact that there are. What I am trying to convey is that I think it is disrespectful to women in general for guys to go around dressing digital representations of the female form in as skimpy an outfit as they can possibly find with the probable intent to get off to that digital representation of the female form. I highly doubt there is a single male in existence who has not thought of doing such a thing with the avatars in Star Wars, and I find it highly inappropriate.

But then again, there are some who would call me a hypocrite since I have one of the Tops from the Relaxed Series of outfits on my Sage and I dressed my Marauders female companions in the Imperial Dancers outfits. But then again I do not view the NPC's in quite the same light as I do the actual Playable Characters. To me a playable character represents you in the game and thus should be treated with the same respect that you would like to receive in the real world. This is why I do not dress my PC's in the skimpiest of the outfits in the game. While my Sage wears a Relaxed Uniform Shirt, She is also wearing the Force Initiate's Lower Robe which is a full length skirt.

Well, I don't see it as inappropriate for player characters but not for companions. I dress my characters in the outfits I see for their personality as a roleplayer, be that the Republic Dancer's outfit for my sage or full heavy body armor for my bounty hunter. The same for my male characters. I can't say nor do I care if other male players do it for whatever reason, any more than I care why a female player playing a male might have her character run around in the covert torso body armor.

As for the feminist thing, I mainly way just saying that even saying "genuine feminist " is dangerous talk as the feminists I know that are in the sex industry are constantly having to defend themselves from other feminists (in fact, just a little bit ago got another tweet from one of the girls I follow, once again defending herself that she is NOT perpetuating a misogynistic agenda), it just makes them mad because, whether you intended to or not, you are kinda implying that there is a certain way that a feminist acts/thinks and that any feminist can be "genuine" means some must be "fake"

Lo and Behold I have found some awesome Jedi Sage robes.

But as I expected they are Cartel Market items available in the Regulator and Enforce Contraband Pack as a Rare/super item (Ganteel) and the Blockade Runner Pack again as a Rare/Super rare (Preceptor) they can also be obtained from the GTN are rarely available and are highly expensive.

They are the Preceptor Robes,

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/swtor-preceptor-armor-cartel-market-new-1_thumb.jpg

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/swtor-preceptor-armor-cartel-market-new-2_thumb.jpg

And the Genteel Robes.

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/swtor-genteel-dress-armor-enforcers-contraband-pack_thumb1.jpg

Neither of them are Male Friendly. They are both obtained from Cartel Packs or the GTN for a high price.

This again just tells me that BioWare are only providing good looking content for the Cartel Market and it's sickening. Thankfully I can afford the Preceptor Robes (My Favourite) from the GTN, but that is only because my Sage is very wealthy. I feel fortunate, however most people will not be able to afford them.

To me these two sets of Robes look like End-Game gear, they shouldn't be hidden away as a super rare from a Cartel Pack, they should just be in the game and available to anyone who puts in the effort to get enough commendations or credits or Favour Ranking etc... to attain them.

I don't have a problem with the Cartel Market. I do have a problem with downgrading the quality of Game content to make the Cartel Market items look more appealing. This is just monopolizing people by only giving them the choice of unappealing Game Gear or Spending real money in the HOPES (you're never guaranteed either set) you get some cool armour from a Cartel Pack.

Edited by Monkfishysnow

Yeah, I have always been so very envious of the fantastic design of the Sorcerer armor compared to the Sage. Tends to look like an intergalactic tramp rather than Jedi Consular. Anyone remember the Centurion/Champion/Battlemaster gear? Hideous. Hideous. We didn't even get proper shoes! Just bandages!