The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Thermal Detonators, Immolate & exploding darts, Oh My!

DiluculoVoX

I have two simple topics to bring up!

Thermal Detonator and Exploding dart should have their roles reversed: Tiny dart goes boom, blows everybody up; Sticky Granade blows up and there is 0 collateral.

Thermal Detonator and Immolate need to switch trees. Immolate belongs in pyrotech, and the sticky thermal detonator belongs in adv prototype.

DISCUSS!

Edited by DiluculoVoX

Both abilities make more sense where they are are. a low cost single target damage ability that provides heat savings on rocket punch fits well in AP, who would otherwise have some heat issues compared to pyrotech. Pyrotech on the other hand can use the improvements to their AoE ability as they have almost no aoe improvements otherwise.

Both abilities make more sense where they are are. a low cost single target damage ability that provides heat savings on rocket punch fits well in AP, who would otherwise have some heat issues compared to pyrotech. Pyrotech on the other hand can use the improvements to their AoE ability as they have almost no aoe improvements otherwise.

Thermal Detonator is not AoE. Single target.

• 4 weeks later...

Id say if anything, AP needs the burst damage improvement. And indeed it is single target, the whole issue I'm not concerned with the costs of the powers, these things can very easily be worked properly into their appropriate trees, Also, Pyrotech has the amazing Rail shots with up to 90% armor pen not seen in any other build, its got high damage bursts pretty well covered, and it's very low cost.

As of now, AP has no really appropriate roll... its not a tank... its not dps... In same ways it has movement speed, but not much, then it comes down to its most damaging attack being the stacks you get on flame thrower which is essentially a stationary melee attack which doesn't function for much of anything outside of PVE ncps who stand still while you roast them.

AP also has odd bosts to damage contributing to rocket punch and its top tier power this is virtually useless. Rocket punch already has its 30% crit damage bonus in shield tech, I think the AP should really specialize in "tackling", main hand weapon & retractable blade damage, single targets, and mobility.

I would even go as far as to say the skill trees look like they were set for random shuffle and then balanced to make them playable.

Without going down the whole list I think the skill tree should switch a few powers around.

Jet charge -> jet speed both need to be in AP... Switched for pneumatic boots and hydraulic overrides. This would be an example of "Prototypical Jetpacks" and would help the AP cover the ground it has so much trouble with, in it's extreme close range attack style. Oh yes, and No escape needs to be in With AP, switched perhaps for... Kulto vents in ST... not sure about that one, it would be a very minor heal that may be nice to tick on to a tank class.

I also think Prototype flamethrower should be in Shield tech where its needed as a stationary aoe tank attack, and traded for oil slick. ST has 3 Tree unlocked attacks/utility's while every other only has 2.

Prototype weapon systems should be a 30% increase to Immolate, Flame Burst, and Retractable blade's primary kinetic damage. This over two trees having bonus' for rocket punch, retractable blade is the cool factor in AP, it needs the crit bonus not rocket punch.

Immolate is a flame thrower/ elemental damage effect, not only does it look like a pyrotech power cosmetically, but as I said above the previous argument that AP has trouble with heat, and PT has no aoe is quite completely fallacious.

Firstly, AP bleeds 8 heat every few seconds with little less than its appropriate cylinder active... Speaking of High energy cylinder, It needs to be a bonus to 'Weapon Damage and Internal Damage' Rolling with the Prototype weapon systems theme again.

To recap and stick in a nut shell. Shield Tech gets its base speed increased, and becomes hard to tackle, also gets improved aoe damage with no sacrifice to tank.

AP gets a roll as a moderate tank with High mobility, a more specific roll I add. Retractable blade and Oil slick became a real boon for the greased up knife fighter he becomes

I could keep going.

Edited by DiluculoVoX

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure someone else out there thinks the top tier powers for powertechs are a little screwy, Thermal detonator is iffy, I do better aoe damage with dart. Heat blast is pretty worthless as well, I have a suggestion, why not, since the shield is the mainstay of the shield tech, provide a shield burst top tier attack? Aoe shield burst could also release heat and generate a large amount of aggro. Perhaps it could have a stacking damage buff based on how often you have shielded an attack, or how much heat you have built up.

Immolate IMO belongs in pyrotech, that's just obvious.

Thermal detonator belings in it's roll as an advanced single target higher damage version of exploding dart.

Anyone else think that Prototype Weapon Systems is redundant to the ST Flame surge?

PTWS - Increases the critical strike damage bonus of rocket punch, flame burst and immolate by [10%/20%/30%]

Flame surge -Increases the critical strike damage bonus of rocket punch and flame sweep by [15%/30%]

PTWS should add bonus crit damage to retractable blade, or flame thrower being those are the attacks that are unique to the AP.