The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Server maint....

Narasil

Is it just me or is server maintenance better done in the wee hours of the morning, say between 12 and 4 am? Or did they start it then and it just takes more than six hours to complete? My game time is very restricted because I like to spend time with my family when they are all up and about so this downtime in the morning can get to be a downer. Thanks for letting me vent.

12 and 4 what time zone?

Bioware usually does maintenance during the early morning hours of the one of the three (four?) USA time zones, and bring down all servers at the same time.

Also, maintenance can run over due to patching issues or, you know, maintenance on the hardware actually needing to be down other than "Is this server on fire? Is that server on fire?"

indeed I do. But why can you split the server schedule? They work for us, we don't work for them. I'm sorry if someone at Bioware might have to come in and an odd time to do maintenance on half the servers, but hey that's life and customer service....

See what I'm saying ;)

indeed I do. But why can you split the server schedule? They work for us, we don't work for them. I'm sorry if someone at Bioware might have to come in and an odd time to do maintenance on half the servers, but hey that's life and customer service....

See what I'm saying ;)

Pretty simple answer, really: so that everyone gets the patches at the exact same time and people don't QQ they are treated like "second class citizens". :)

Edited by TheNahash

Pretty simple answer, really: so that everyone gets the patches at the exact same time and people don't QQ they are treated like "second class citizens". :)

Actually, this is how it worked with the WoW US and EU servers and, while some people did complain a bit, because the EU servers got patched after the US ones, if there were any massively game-breaking bugs or such introduced with the patch, we got a slight delay while Blizzard fixed it. So having the delay was useful in ways.

Of course, Blizzard does also have European offices (France based, I believe) and a bajillion servers, whereas everything is based in one shed in the US for Bioware: Austin and the servers are watched over by Larry and Steve.

See what I'm saying ;)

I'll resume this post for you

I am selfish and I want to have a life, idc if Bioware's employees dont have a life.

Every time there is a patch, BW employees pull an all-nighter for your convenience so the "majority" of players are not inconvenienced. Every once in awhile they will do a mid-afternoon patch to benefit the European players. One of the major patches earlier this year took us through the dinner hour, PDT. I think that's fair to spread the pain a bit and as a PDT player I would not be upset if they rotated the patch times so that the EU didn't have to take the brunt of the patch time.

It's a major operation every time they do this and I suspect they really don't want to do it twice, hence the "all servers at once" approach.

See what I'm saying ;)

You can't please everyone all the time. Why should they inconvenience others just for the sake of your own convenience? Plus, its only one day a week, so get over it.