The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Clone Wars "Darksaber" make it available in the Cartel Market

dear god no. whats next? the lightsaber whip added? with a black core?

To be fair people have been asking for the lightsaber whip years before the game even launched :p

I'm not entirely sure of the lore behind the "Darksaber" but I'm pretty sure there is as Visla in this game. So unless it hasn't been made yet it's already out there. And unless it's stated explicitly otherwise I don't think it'd be so far-fetched for a similar prototype to be widespread in this era. I'd definitely want something that had awesome weapon animations like the darksaber did in The Clone Wars (meaning I just want that awesome weapon trail/ tail or whatever you want to call it).

So whats your point? That's like saying iconic gear is only unique to certain individuals such as Revan's attire yet it's being sold off to thousands of users on the cartel market wouldn't that be going against lore too? The Darksaber would be no different.

The difference is that revan and nihilus existed in a past tense in SW:TOR, so reproductions of their gear could be made from images of them (or even just descriptions), but having someone make a weapon based on something that only existed 3600 years in the future is a bit harder to explain.

Same reason as to why there are no iconic outfits from the movies in the CM as "reproductions" (which is what the revan and other famous people outfits are. Reproductions. Not the actual thing)

The difference is that revan and nihilus existed in a past tense in SW:TOR, so reproductions of their gear could be made from images of them (or even just descriptions), but having someone make a weapon based on something that only existed 3600 years in the future is a bit harder to explain.

Same reason as to why there are no iconic outfits from the movies in the CM as "reproductions" (which is what the revan and other famous people outfits are. Reproductions. Not the actual thing)

I just want to point out what Asherall said above.

The period where the Mando's acquired the Darksaber is about the same period that we're playing: During the Old Republic Era. There are NO records prior to their time of acquisition. Only one Darksaber is known to exist during the Clone Wars Era! However, absolutely NOTHING is known about the time before that. It is possible, without breaking a shred of lore, that more existed, and it was possibly even in mass production or about to go into mass production.

I just want to point out what Asherall said above.

The period where the Mando's acquired the Darksaber is about the same period that we're playing: During the Old Republic Era. There are NO records prior to their time of acquisition. Only one Darksaber is known to exist during the Clone Wars Era! However, absolutely NOTHING is known about the time before that. It is possible, without breaking a shred of lore, that more existed, and it was possibly even in mass production or about to go into mass production.

Unlikely. If there were more created, there would have been no need to create the Black Core crystals, which were invented in man made attempts to replicate the Darksaber's power. They could have simply sought out the Darksaber's birthplace and simply retrieved the cache. And we do have a record of the Darksaber being kept by the Jedi before the Fall. Seeing as how they only had the one Darksaber, logic would suggest that it's the only one. If there were more, the Jedi would have destroyed them all, keeping the Darksaber only as their final solution, given it's unstoppable power. And I'm guessing the Jedi would have destroyed the schematics to the Darksaber as well, to keep any more from being made. It fits their collective psychological profile.

The Darksaber is like all mythic weapons in literature and cinema. There is usually only one, it was forged by the ancient people that came before, it is the most powerful weapon in existence, etc. Like the Elder Wand or the One Ring.

Edited by Darth_Moonshadow

• 2 weeks later...
Unlikely. If there were more created, there would have been no need to create the Black Core crystals, which were invented in man made attempts to replicate the Darksaber's power. They could have simply sought out the Darksaber's birthplace and simply retrieved the cache. And we do have a record of the Darksaber being kept by the Jedi before the Fall. Seeing as how they only had the one Darksaber, logic would suggest that it's the only one. If there were more, the Jedi would have destroyed them all, keeping the Darksaber only as their final solution, given it's unstoppable power. And I'm guessing the Jedi would have destroyed the schematics to the Darksaber as well, to keep any more from being made. It fits their collective psychological profile.

The Darksaber is like all mythic weapons in literature and cinema. There is usually only one, it was forged by the ancient people that came before, it is the most powerful weapon in existence, etc. Like the Elder Wand or the One Ring.

The red bolded piece is what we try to explain. What you write IS very probable, however, it may not be past tense just yet. It is past tense in the Clonewars era. But it may still be far future, near future, present, or at worst recent history during the time we play this game.

If it was recent history, then we might have known about it already. Although the Jedi might as well have kept it quiet for public, including our player characters, possibly even including the majority of the Jedi Council.

As far as we know, neither Revan nor the Exile encountered it or ever even mentioned it. So it seems like that Box of Pandora hasn't been opened yet. That means it's something that's probably still to come. Could be in the near future, could be during the time we play (and give us an awesome storyline explaining why there is only one during the Clonewars period, no matter if there were hundreds during our times or also only that same single one as well), though it might also still be 500-1000 years in the future before the Darksaber actually sees the light.

Me? I'm actually not fond of the Darksaber at all. However, since it's already canon, I totally wouldn't mind if Bioware put a storyline into some expansion or content update in which we not only see the origins of the Darksaber, but also get to destroy the schematics and all means of construction involved. Star Wars canon basically needs such a piece of lore. Otherwise, *any* B-writer (and most SW writers are just B grade or even worse quality) can imagine up some forgotten moon ruin with yet another darksaber, and another, and another.

I want to see this thread of lore sealed off permanently. It's currently totally open for abuse by fanfiction. So that's why I said earlier that Bioware would be doing Star Wars a service if they picked up that open start and sealed it off, leaving only the one darksaber around.

Edited by AsheraII

The red bolded piece is what we try to explain. What you write IS very probable, however, it may not be past tense just yet. It is past tense in the Clonewars era. But it may still be far future, near future, present, or at worst recent history during the time we play this game.

If it was recent history, then we might have known about it already. Although the Jedi might as well have kept it quiet for public, including our player characters, possibly even including the majority of the Jedi Council.

As far as we know, neither Revan nor the Exile encountered it or ever even mentioned it. So it seems like that Box of Pandora hasn't been opened yet. That means it's something that's probably still to come. Could be in the near future, could be during the time we play (and give us an awesome storyline explaining why there is only one during the Clonewars period, no matter if there were hundreds during our times or also only that same single one as well), though it might also still be 500-1000 years in the future before the Darksaber actually sees the light.

Me? I'm actually not fond of the Darksaber at all. However, since it's already canon, I totally wouldn't mind if Bioware put a storyline into some expansion or content update in which we not only see the origins of the Darksaber, but also get to destroy the schematics and all means of construction involved. Star Wars canon basically needs such a piece of lore. Otherwise, *any* B-writer (and most SW writers are just B grade or even worse quality) can imagine up some forgotten moon ruin with yet another darksaber, and another, and another.

I want to see this thread of lore sealed off permanently. It's currently totally open for abuse by fanfiction. So that's why I said earlier that Bioware would be doing Star Wars a service if they picked up that open start and sealed it off, leaving only the one darksaber around.

It actually is past tense, as the Darksaber's design is that it is a precursor to the "modern" lightsaber. Seeing as our current lightsabers look like the lightsabers off the OT/PT, I'm guessing that our lightsabers are possibly Gen 2 or 3. So the Darksaber is already consodered quite old by this point.

I for one would like a Darksaber.:cool: I do understand the points against such an item existing for the use of many. If we follow lore so strictly though we may find that there should only be 8 of us running around each server(story wise and all). I'm Darth Baras apprentice and so are those other folks in the Korriban Academy cantina. This game is an mmorpg so clearly there are many of us playing the same storyline.:confused: It may be the unpopular opinion for many people who believe in total immersion but please bioware...may I has? It doesn't even have to be named "The Darksaber" I would gladly accept a replica. Lightsaber whip...perhaps, I am not opposed to those either new tech can be cool. Maybe even allow bounty hunters, agents, troopers and smugglers to use bladed weapons(exception being lightsabers) / force users to use firearms as it was in KOTOR/KOTOR2. Kreia was basically one handed and when she didn't have a vibroblade still worked miracles equipped with a blaster if you allowed her to. With limits though not as a totally rehashed ability set but like 2-3 abilities per class(remember powershot - criticalshot for force users packing heat / flurry-criticalstrike for gun weilders that enjoy cutting fools) And also a black crystal pleez bioware lifeday santa :eek: If you disagree I respect that and if you agree I also respect that, but would it really make a game that much worst? Either way I would still play and enjoy my time spent in this universe. Why not let folks customize characters like they see them in they're minds.

:ph_thank_you:

Edited by WizzDilla