Player Housing

Catharde

Freely decoratable player housing/ships was certainly one of the many gems SWG featured. I spent years decorating houses there. I miss it almost as much as I miss chat bubbles, being able to sit in chairs and the Jump to Lightspeed Space combat simulation and much more. I'd love to see these things, but since we don't even have an approximate ETA or information on which patch they are currently planned for (come on, it can't be that hard, can it?) on features like chat bubbles that were promised to be in for launch or shortly thereafter and later soon over and over again, I'm no longer optimistic that roleplayers will ever get their fix unless Bioware/EA can find a way to milk us for it using the cartel market after the Appearance Designer Kiosk scam where even subscribers are forced to continuously pay cartel coins in order to use the feature.

For how much you enjoy talking about chat bubbles -- you should probably do a forum search on them and read the dev posts.

Fairly certain it will NEVER happen. Chat bubbles + SWTOR's engine = not happening without massive problems and performance degradation. Sucks -- but I'm 100% for the exclusion of chat bubbles if they will negatively affect others.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TOR is not a sandbox game, it sorta worked in SWG because it had no real story and was meant to just be a game where players live in the star wars universe. TOR is a themepark with a heavy narrative base. In many cases it would make no sense to even have some of these characters with a house or even having player towns. Sith are suburbs sound like one of the silliest ideas. Many in Star Wars live in their ships and it's how it's done in this narrative. The ships are already technically our housing. They should expand on what we can do with our ships. But actual player housing? Waste of resources that can be used to add some real meat to the game and real content. People want player housing, then expand on what you already have with our ships, but don't be redundant by having us have two types of housing. Once we get the guild ships that keep getting mentioned also, we are going to be stuck with another type of housing technically.

Couple of words, not much of a roleplayer but here it is:

Player managed space ports, connected through either a central station located at fleet and accessible through your ships galaxy map or even a new onship console.

Eliminates the potential for any kind of lag to occur on fleet or quest planets due to player owned housing and such. The space ports would allow tenants to dock their ship, have a small apartment station side which would be customizable and thus unique for each person. Potentially for every guild at first? Then to where you can invite friends and such into it, I'm thinking like a Runescape kind of feel where you have to join their instance through a universal teleporter or something.

Just my suggestion

I couldn't agree with this more Catharde. I have thoroughly enjoyed player housing in other games including SWG, DAOC, and Wizard101. It's not at the top of my wish list but it's definitely up there. As others have said on the thread it's not in the near term set of updates but it still remains a tantalizing possibility for sometime in the future.

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.B

Seeing the response to 18 months of requests for sittable chairs is a cash shop item that is not even a persistent emote, I am scared to even think what the Bioware interpretation of "player housing" might be.

I think the ships were originally made to be the housing, It would be great if you could customize them though.

EA-Bio seems to be focusing on cosmetic development right now, it would be great to see something in the next couple of patches.

I couldn't agree with this more Catharde. I have thoroughly enjoyed player housing in other games including SWG, DAOC, and Wizard101. It's not at the top of my wish list but it's definitely up there. As others have said on the thread it's not in the near term set of updates but it still remains a tantalizing possibility for sometime in the future.

Ooh...before or after the SSSP?

Sorry, it's on my list of things I actively oppose.

Nonsensical "towns" in the middle of planets? No thanks. I'm on a quest. My home is my ship. I don't have time to build a summer home on Balmorra or an apartment on Corellia. I understand the desire, but it doesn't make sense with the setting or the story and the idea of ignoring both of those for the justification of "But SWG had it" only makes it more annoying to me.

You have a home. It's your ship. Decorate that. Show that off. Don't give people the ability to clutter planets with even more immersion-breaking crap.

This. Once again we another post from a rose-goggling SWG fanboi. Housing in SWG was implemented poorly and did more to break immersion and clutter up an otherwise good looking area with abandoned houses and empty player cities. That nonsense is not needed her. Character ships will more than suffice as housing with some customization updates.

When I pay good money to go to a themepark, I expect to go in and be entertained by the attractions. I do not pay good money to navigate the maze of parking spots that have been decorated and become more of an eyesore than anything else.

This. Once again we another post from a rose-goggling SWG fanboi. Housing in SWG was implemented poorly and did more to break immersion and clutter up an otherwise good looking area with abandoned houses and empty player cities. That nonsense is not needed her. Character ships will more than suffice as housing with some customization updates.

When I pay good money to go to a themepark, I expect to go in and be entertained by the attractions. I do not pay good money to navigate the maze of parking spots that have been decorated and become more of an eyesore than anything else.

Would it change your mind if we were allowed to break into abandoned houses and take stuff?

Agreed. It doesn't fit and no good would come of it. If you want that sorta thing this isn't the game that's going to give it to you.

Seeing the response to 18 months of requests for sittable chairs is a cash shop item that is not even a persistent emote, I am scared to even think what the Bioware interpretation of "player housing" might be.

Replace that Kolto Tank in the cargo hold with a Jacuzzi.

Forums: "Worst. Housing. Ever."

Darth Moonshadow: "I am going to get SO MUCH TAIL!"

This times raised to

I used to be so excited when they added stuff to this game. Now I just cringe. It's terrible. Terrible terrible terrible game.

This times raised to

I used to be so excited when they added stuff to this game. Now I just cringe. It's terrible. Terrible terrible terrible game.

But you're still here, so they must doing something right!

Or you're just bad at canceling subscriptions. I used to be. Got two years of Shonen Jump because I had no idea how to cancel. Finally I just changed the address to one that did not exist and they stopped billing.

I want it. It was great in SWG and I miss it. It allows you to fully immerse in the game, creating homes and cities on planets in areas of your choice. I remember people spending HOURS decorating the inside of their homes. Finding towns in the middle of nowhere and trying to raid them....gooooood times. I guess I am just curious as to how many others have it at the top of their wish list. Or if people even remember it.

Think about it Bioware...think about all the housing related crap you could sell on the cartel market.....yesssss.

I loved it in SWG. I want it here too, more than just about anything. The only things i'd want more are new classes and class/companion stories. But that's the only thing. And crafters could have a great time making furniture and linens, rugs, pottery...omg it would be so much fun. I spent hours like you say, decorating my houses. Great times. :D

MMO's solved this problem years ago by making player housing into instanced areas that you either accessed by a common door (EQ2) or just via teleporting to your house (CoH, CO).

Kind of like how they also fixed the problem of outlevelling your friends via sidekicking/mentoring.

... and customization by separating your gear (stats) from its look.

... and server over/under crowding by using single servers with multiple instances.

... and difficulty by allowing you to set how hard you wanted your missions to be.

... and forced grouping/forced solo'ing by scaling missions to group sizes.

... and a lot of other lessons learned that BW ignored.

I remember player housing in SWG. It was cool early on, but towards the end, it became annoying to stumble upon these cities, often enough abandoned. Also consider the amount of stress that would put on the game for each players house. Like I said, a cool concept but ultimately it would impact the game negatively. I am open to customizing personal ships a little more. I'd like to see chairs we can actually interact with throughout the game, such as in cantinas.

Personally I'd rather see improvements to game stability/bug fixes, more faction interaction/confrontation on planets, player bounties, and a more in depth space-combat.

The ships with everything in them that has to remain static due to the sheer amount of cut scenes held there will never be truly customizable. Therefore I want player housing where I can do whatever the hell I feel like it with my house. It doesn't have to be set in the questing planet areas as this game isn't suited to handle that, but a separate instance somewhere would be perfect. I want player housing that I can decorate as I wish with items looted in game like we could in SWG as that would alleviate a lot of the end game boredom I encounter.

I can see why it would be tantalizing, with Cartel Market implications. Honestly...with the direction of the Cartel Market, I really DON'T want this feature. I can see everything involved having a CC cost. From the "house" itself, to all of the decorations, etc. Really, if that's what BW decides to do...then don't. Just don't.

I remember housing in SWG and it was great. In combination with the trading-system there where some great shops build and I spend months to decorate my shop the way i wanted it. Best housing ever.

Then I remember LOTRO housing wivh was a real dissapointment. No free furniture positioning inside some useless housing instances.

I bet if SWTOR ever tries to bring us housing, they would do it worse. I only have to take a look at out own ships and the few things to improve them... plz don't do housing here. Don't waste time on something you wouldn't be able to do it well.

SWG housing was best because it was NOT INSTANCED. Also droid vendors in houses and guild halls gave people a reason to visit (no GTN fee if you buy from vendor's home) and see your rare stuff displayed.

Otherwise no one will ever enter your instanced ship to see your stuff.

Player cities were awesome and the galactic civil war was raging. Then they destroyed everything out of greed.

I can see why it would be tantalizing, with Cartel Market implications. Honestly...with the direction of the Cartel Market, I really DON'T want this feature. I can see everything involved having a CC cost. From the "house" itself, to all of the decorations, etc. Really, if that's what BW decides to do...then don't. Just don't.

Well the Cartel Market is the main place for cosmetic and random fluff that has no real bearing on the story or gameplay. Housing, Ship or City, sadly falls under that category. You may disagree with the gradual focus of the Cartel, but it did help save the game's financial woes. Especially when MMO gamers tend to play the newest MMO for the first few months then return to WoW because they invested 8 years already.

If people want to make their ships more cozy and less like prison (Seriously Fury. I am afraid to sleep inside you.), the cost is going to be a tad steep. Somebody has to pay, and the Subscribers, sadly, aren't enough to foot the bill.

/shrug

What can ya do?