The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Whats the best free voice chat program for SWTOR

ColinTice

Skype is allways an option, a lot of people complain about it but I have never had any proplems with it.

As far as I could tell, there was no option to bind speaking to a key. That was just... creepy. Also it likes to set itself to be always on and is a pain to actually shut down.

I've used Ventrilo, Skype, and Mumble and prefer Mumble. It's sort've a pain to configure the client initially, but it's because it calibrates itself to your sound out and sound in devices, which I think as a major benefit over Vent (where, untweaked, people are either TOO LOUD or too soft).

I've also heard from people who know more about these things than eye that Mumble has a much lower bandwidth footprint than Skype or Vent.

I'm also incredibly fond of the transparent overlay option of Mumble. Really helpful to be able to tell who is speaking when you can't recognize a voice (like in big raids or raids with a few PUGs)

And lastly, for my personal use: I've had serious issues with Vent's voice activation feature (if I try to implement that) where it only works half the time, and it won't recognize my preferred push-to-talk bind key (Mouse Button 3 on my mouse), making it frustrating for me to use without being always on (and people do not need to hear what I say all the time. Mumble recognizes my PTT key. Mumble wins.

Edited by AlixMV

Mumble and Teamspeak are the best. TS is way easier to use.

TS is way more used (at least in Ger).

So if you only want to install one, stick with TS.

Skype is no option for multiuserconversation.

Rest brings nothing that isnt in TS or mumble, and you will most likely not meet others using it.

Skype is evil ... people saying it's a bandwidth hog are completely correct.

Ventrilo can be tweaked almost to the point of programmer specifications and there is a steep learning curve in the beginning to get things the way you like them. Myself and a few guild mates have run into trouble running Vent with SWtoR in the form of choppy in game sound and both game and voice chat disconnects on long raids and guild events.

Teamspeak 3 is quite robust now and is VERY easy to use for beginners. Also have never had an issue running the game and TS together for long periods.

Mumble is making some headway but it still seems to be the red headed step child because it's not all that intuitive and tends to be known as the "kiddies" voice chat.

Both TS & ventrilo offer better sound quality than most. If using a good codec for audio you can trim the bandwidth down w/out losing too much quality. TS has seriously improved since I first used it in early 2000s. But ventrilo is an old reliable standard.

For some reason TS freezes up a lot when I first start the program, since using Windows Vista/Win7. Also, TS is very quirky sometimes. Packet loss is a bigger issue on TS than most.

• 1 year later...