Screenshot not always working in cutscenes

Niklarus

I'm not sure if this is a bug or working as intended, but here's a problem I've been experiencing. Ever since dyes went in, I've been coloring my armor to give my characters a look that is just right for them. I've also been trying to take screenshots of their new looks, usually during the cutscenes because that's when you get some really good full-height views of your characters. Well, lately, the Print Screen button has only been working...sporadically. And that's being generous about it. I would say that a good 80% of the time, I haven't been able to get a single pic taken through the course of an entire conversation even if I'm absolutely SPAMMING Print Screen. Sometimes I get lucky and I love the shots I get when I do. But most times...Most times I don't get anything. In my experience, it was not that way before, oh, maybe some time in February or March. This started being a problem somewhen around then, so it's not something that came in with RotHC/Makeb.

I just want to see if this is A) happening to anyone else and B) an actual bug as opposed to a design choice.

Well, now that I know that it's happening quite a bit to others, I'll go ahead and submit an in-game bug report on this tonight.

Mind you, I'm sure they've got more urgent bugs to work on than this, but at least they'll be aware.

It hasn't always been this way. I think this bug was re-introduced around 1.4. It's really annoying, as taking screenshots isn't reliable anymore. Right now I'm forced to use third party applications like Fraps or Overwolf to reliably take in-game screenshots.

It hasn't always been this way. I think this bug was re-introduced around 1.4. It's really annoying, as taking screenshots isn't reliable anymore. Right now I'm forced to use third party applications like Fraps or Overwolf to reliably take in-game screenshots.

How much do those third-party applications cost? More importantly, how easy are they to use?

• 2 months later...
I actually brought this up in the help section once and the moderator response was to just paste in using paint or something. Since the printscreen button saves to your clipboard. Not an optimal solution at all but worth a thought if you only have one must have still.

I've been having this screenshot-taking issue as far back as I can remember. I finally went to a third-party program called ScreenHunter Pro and is super sweet and has numerous customizing options. Who knew something so simple as capturing your screen could have so much stuff involved?

Also, just cuz SWTOR didn't save it in your folder, your PC might have copied the image to your clipboard. So next time you "think" you didn't get one open up Photoshop (or Paint or whatever), open a new document, and press CTRL-V and see if it drops in there.

• 3 weeks later...
I actually brought this up in the help section once and the moderator response was to just paste in using paint or something. Since the printscreen button saves to your clipboard. Not an optimal solution at all but worth a thought if you only have one must have still.

Yeah, a workaround is not a fix, but THANKS! I'll do that from now on when it decides not to work

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I've been having this screenshot-taking issue as far back as I can remember. I finally went to a third-party program called ScreenHunter Pro and is super sweet and has numerous customizing options. Who knew something so simple as capturing your screen could have so much stuff involved?

Also, just cuz SWTOR didn't save it in your folder, your PC might have copied the image to your clipboard. So next time you "think" you didn't get one open up Photoshop (or Paint or whatever), open a new document, and press CTRL-V and see if it drops in there.

Well I've tried everything, and yes, I check my clipboard. It will show up as full in my PaintShop Pro if there is something there. I just tried ScreenHunter FREE, and no joy -- all I get is black screens. MAYBE the Pro version would work, but if it doesn't work now I see no reason to risk real money just to try out the other version.

I _know_ we USE to be able to take screenshots during the conversations. It's aggravating we can't do that anymore.

HEY, I THINK I FOUND THE PROBLEM!

At least PART of the problem.

I went into Preferences to see what may have changed in the graphic settings. Just as a lark, I changed my graphics from "Fullscreen" to "Fullscreen (Windowed)". NOW, at least, when I hit PrintScreen it DOES capture an image into my clipboard, which I can then edit in PaintShop Pro.

Before I posted this, I thought I would give ScreenHunter Free one more shot, and it's working now, too, so I can easily take multiple screenshots and have it save it to a folder for me.

Hope this helps others.