The insane (double XP) plan to get everyone to 55 fast

Stoofa

People should be able to opt out from gaining more XP, especially when they already feel having too much. To avoid they feel they sacrifice something, it could be replaced by improved rewards (more credits or better loot whatever) if they choose to lessen their XP gains.

This.

Make it optional. Make everyone happy.

Edited by space_mechanic

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't, I do.

No. I don't like to skip quests and I'm not having fun doing 5-level-below ones.

Look at all those 55 guys doing level 50 FPs at the speed of sound JUST TO GET DAILY. This is lame.

SWTOR is not meant to be hack-and-slash RPG or shooter without challenge.

Sad that developers are trying to make it so.

Sounds like you're conflating this. Or, haven't played the game much.

If you are a subscriber, and you use no boosts whatsoever -- you will outlevel the content by the time you reach Alderaan, anyway. If you ACTUALLY do all of the quests (including bonus series). DBXP is hardly the only time you become overleveled.

How about playing a new alt, and not choosing an advanced class and playing with no companion? Or naked? Then, you can have some of the "difficulty" you're hoping for.

well i really do not see any problems really.

If you are outleveling planets you can just do your story quest and move on to the next planet.

Their you get gear upgrades to.

And about gear. you can use youre planetairy coms to buy gear or mods according to youre lvl and then do a a couple of fps of youre lvl.

Problems solved no?

Yeah, with the planetarcy coms being ahead of mods shouldn't be an issue.

Legacy level 42.

How about ... not choosing an advanced class and playing with no companion? Or naked? Then, you can have some of the "difficulty" you're hoping for.

How about not playing a game, yes?

And about gear. you can use youre planetairy coms to buy gear or mods according to youre lvl

Yep, I agree - now it's ok. This part is solved. Mind that I was speaking about previous weekends in 1.7, when planet comms were separate.

Edited by space_mechanic

Leveling is very easy. Being always overleveled makes the process ridiculous.

What BW really does with Double XP is: "Come on, skip the content we made!"

That means you end knowing nothing of class rotation, even CC and other stuff. Not funny.

Ok, real example. GF pug of 50s - 54s wiping on first (!) EC SM trash pull... 3 quitters right away, another queue...

Double XP weekends is one of the worst ideas ever, along with XP boosts as mission rewards.

Make it optional please.

I have news for you, not having double XP won't get rid of those kinds of people. Long before any DXP weekends, I had to deal with 50's in FP and ops that didn't even know they had a CC.

If you make it an option, the folks you speak of will still choose that option, so it makes no difference. For people like myself though who have 6 55's and want a few more, these weekends are a blessing.

I agree with thread creator. Double XP should be totally optional.

I don't want to level so fast, it takes all the pleasure of having a challenge during gameplay..

I understand that most F2P players like this, and I agree as well. That's something good for 'em, but not for a subscriber, who has Rested status and levels faster.

It would be nice if DEV's considered this and make the double XP optional. :)

I don't want to level so fast, it takes all the pleasure of having a challenge during gameplay..

I understand that most F2P players like this, and I agree as well. That's something good for 'em, but not for a subscriber, who has Rested status and levels faster.

I'd say most sub players like this as well, seeing how many request it and the populations we saw those weekends.

Besides - rested status isn't affected by double XP weekends. You'll retain your rested amount.

And even though it's "just a flag in the database' - making it optional will require development resources and testing and .... well, stuff.

It's 3 weekends, do something else for those weekends like play a maxed character.

It's 3 weekends, do something else for those weekends like play a maxed character.

I wish there was a way to turn it off... so people would just shut up about it. Actually... never mind. They would still probably complain about the way you turn it off. I'll just ignore all of the little forum babies and level my characters quickly and with much joy.

Last double XP weekeds I turned 36 at the very start of Alderaan. Questing there, I got some level 28-29 gear. Though quests were still easy because of overlevel.

This is issue number 1. Easiness of story content.

Now, when I want to do flashpoints at 36, level 29 green gear sucks. To compete in pug FPs you need to spend a lot of money to get good gear from GTN or have decent crafter alts.

This is issue number 2. Outdated gear.

And yes, I enjoy questing. But making this process useless in terms of gear and challenge really frustrates me.

"Advices" not to play on weekends don't help.

This game is about as challenging as watching a movie. In essence, that's all this game even is, with a bunch of fetch quests or incentives to grind through mobs.

Here is what I don't get though, as you have conflicting objectives:

1) I will outlevel the content and it is too easy.

2) My gear will be below the flashpoints so it will be too hard.

>_>

<_<

If you are a subscriber, and you use no boosts whatsoever -- you will outlevel the content by the time you reach Alderaan, anyway. If you ACTUALLY do all of the quests (including bonus series). DBXP is hardly the only time you become overleveled.

How about playing a new alt, and not choosing an advanced class and playing with no companion? Or naked? Then, you can have some of the "difficulty" you're hoping for.

No.

Even before I got Makeb com gear the content on Corellia was a faceroll - and I was in Level 43/45 mods and my companion had 39. The game isn't hard at even level even with mods 2-5 levels old, but making it a snooze fest is even worse when you outlevel everything but an extreme amount.

I hit 50 before stepping foot in Corellia using half of my xp bonus items (and wasting a lot of a 3 hour), never doing a heroic, doing 2 FPs in my 20s, doing bonus series twice in my 30s, and doing the daily/weekly pvp quest. I did the normal quests and the story quests for the planets - I even skipped half of 3 planets normal quests. Thats it.

The game is designed around utilizing your companion (whichever style you choose) and having fun with that. Gearing up. Progressing with the story.

I'd want the option to turn double xp off. It's too much as is without it. Do double quest rewards (Coin, coms, etc), double drops, whatever. But XP is too much. Removing what little grind there is is kinda boring.

I wish there was a way to turn it off... so people would just shut up about it. Actually... never mind. They would still probably complain about the way you turn it off. I'll just ignore all of the little forum babies and level my characters quickly and with much joy.

I would applaud them for their innovation and giving players a choice of what they want to pursue and how. It would be like an amazing feat of good MMO management.

Edited by Maelael

I would like to know if swtor has any plans in the works to implement an option to turn off double xp. That would give me some hope instead of not being able to play the game for three weeks. I really wish they didn't bring this back so soon. It is depressing and frustrating to those of us that do not like it.

I want to add that I love everything else swtor does. There is nothing else I do not like or didn't like about swtor. I love it bugs and all. Double xp, however, I hate with a passion. The game basically just plays itself at that point. It is said that the side quests become boring after the tenth play through. I can tell you that I play the game all of the time and never get tired of any of he side quests. I love doing each side quest with every new character to see how they handle each situation and how it shapes their character's growth. I also like to play as each gender and see the differences there too. I do feel a little sad that during each play through my companions are not always there through the entire leveling process, but that's fine because I can play through again with a different companion by my side. Double xp just destroys this.

I'm not even a fan of rested xp, which is another form of double xp. At least with the implementation of double xp consumables you have the option to not use it.

The argument that it takes resources and time to do this does not make sense because this is a very important issue and it takes time and resources to do anything and this is clearly a very easy thing to implement. There are already so many other ways xp boosts are implemented. There are countless variations of xp boosts, double xp weekends, no rested xp for free to play users, and rested xp. The ability to turn off double xp or turn of xp altogether can't possibly be that hard. It would only be a tiny variation on one of the many xp boosts already around.

Some people say that you will out level the quests anyway if you do all of the quests. That is true, but why make it worse with double xp? Why all of the hostility to the people that don't want to be a part of double xp weekends? Does allowing us to not be a part of it while you enjoy double xp weekends make your lives so hard? How would you even notice or care? I have heard it said that giving players the option to turn off xp or double xp would allow players to create really powerful level 15 or so characters. I admit I don't have much of an answer for that one.

Another person said that with double xp you level so fast that your gear becomes too underpowered and then the game becomes too hard. Just take the time to get the gear you need then. I will agree that double xp is not matched up to the way the leveling process of the game was designed so that people will not be geared at the proper rate, but I wouldn't know how true this is since I refuse to play during double xp weekends and it looks like I will have to take another three weekends off from the game or more if my work week is heavy.

I think what I really do not like is that double xp is forced on everyone including those who are preferred status or even free to play.

I would like to know if swtor has any plans in the works to implement an option to turn off double xp. That would give me some hope instead of not being able to play the game for three weeks. I really wish they didn't bring this back so soon. It is depressing and frustrating to those of us that do not like it.

They didn't add it during the first wave of Double XP weekends, despite the complaints. They are having this event again and still don't say anything. My guess is that you should plan on not having the feature.

But I am confused. Since you are clearly aware that your item level determines your combat ability, not your level, what difference does it make if you get extra XP? Just continue equipping gear appropriate to your questing zone and you will be good.

The only thing that needs to happen is for EAWare to send out a global mail with the double xp clicky in the mail. The clicky should also have the same expiration/timer date as the xp bar, so you're limited to the weekend only.

If you choose to use it or not, that's up to you. Problem solved.

Quoted.

Edited by Pirana

So... should we also be able to turn off events such as the rackghul plague?

Apples and oranges. You aren't required to participate in an event, so you can effectively "turn it off" by not participating. You aren't forced to do a quest. Even if you accept a quest you can abandon it. If you get an XP boost, you don't have to use it. Pretty much every activity in the game is optional. 2XP weekends are not optional. If you want to play on the weekends (You know, on your days off when you have some time.) you WILL do 2XP, period. That's the difference.

You can argue that it doesn't really matter in the long run. You can argue that the matter is trivial. You can argue that there are ways to hobble yourself to counteract it. You can suggest if you don't like it, don't play (a variation on if you don't like SWTOR, quit.) But you cannot argue that 2XP weekends are optional because they simply are not.

Apples and oranges. You aren't required to participate in an event, so you can effectively "turn it off" by not participating. You aren't forced to do a quest. Even if you accept a quest you can abandon it. If you get an XP boost, you don't have to use it. Pretty much every activity in the game is optional. 2XP weekends are not optional. If you want to play on the weekends (You know, on your days off when you have some time.) you WILL do 2XP, period. That's the difference.

You can argue that it doesn't really matter in the long run. You can argue that the matter is trivial. You can argue that there are ways to hobble yourself to counteract it. You can suggest if you don't like it, don't play (a variation on if you don't like SWTOR, quit.) But you cannot argue that 2XP weekends are optional because they simply are not.

Tell that to all the people ranting about how they were "forced" into participating in the rakghoul event by being infected on fleet and then having to buy vaccines...

All of you complaining about the double XP weekend, explain a few things to me.

1: You say you will overlevel content. But you already overlevel content if you play all missions in the game. Overleveling will stop you from earning XP once you are 5 levels above the missions. So its not like you'll reach lvl 50 on Tatooine.

2: You say overleveling content will make the game too easy. Compared to what? Compared to how it is now when you still overlevel content? Sure, it will happen more often, but it wont be that big a difference if you just skip some of the content.

3: You say you dont want to be forced to skip content (ie. side missions and planetary quests) because you'll outlevel the planet if you dont. Well you already do that if you dont skip any content.

4: You say you'll be left behind in gear if you do skip content and only do the storyline missions. Well, with the new planetary comms, that wont happen (especially if you throw in a flashpoint between planets). And the GTN prices for mods are cheaper than ever now, so buying what you cant get with comms should be a piece of cake.

those are the general complaints ive seen. So please tell me if im wrong here, but double XP weekend wont change much for you.

Oh, then theres the "but it will make people get to lvl 55 too fast and then they will just be stuck there" argument that the OP used, but thats pretty invalid since you can always make alts. Either you make an alt to level up during the double xp weekends, or you make an alt when your main reaches 55.

Of course, there is the tiny core of people that refuse to play more than one character... but most of them are already at lvl cap, so this wont affect them the slightest.

All of you seemingly opposed to the option to turn it off, explain one thing to me: why?

Personally, I'm not against an option, I just don't see the point. All the reasons that people give are invalid. Your toon's level has absolutely nothing to do with your combat ability, your mods and training do. But everyone one of you seems to ignore the countless posts that point that out.