So are free name changes coming anytime soon or should I just buy them?

Could we have an update on whether the free monthly name changes for subscribers are coming soon? I've been holding off on buying them off the GTN (at the seller's loss cuz they're not selling well) but if it's going to take a couple more months I'd rather just buy them now (GTN is not CM, EA makes no extra money). Edited by LetoAtreidesII

Could we have an update on whether the free monthly name changes for subscribers are coming soon? I've been holding off on buying them on the GTN but if it's going to take a couple more months I'd rather just buy them now.

Probably with Server Changes, which is "soon".

free monthly ? I thought subscribers are geting one free rename period

Back in November is was advertised as one free per month, but this was quickly taken down as the name changes hadn't actually been released at that point. It was never spoken of again. (There's a rather long thread about it the CS forum.)

Could we have an update on whether the free monthly name changes for subscribers are coming soon? I've been holding off on buying them on the GTN but if it's going to take a couple more months I'd rather just buy them now.

People paying for name changes have not finished sifting through the available name choices yet. I'm sure, once it's clear no one is left who is willing to pay for it, the free name change will be made available. We cant let subscribers get first crack at a free name change, when someone is willing to pay up for one. :rak_01:

People paying for name changes have not finished sifting through the available name choices yet. I'm sure, once it's clear no one is left who is willing to pay for it, the free name change will be made available. We cant let subscribers get first crack at a free name change, when someone is willing to pay up for one. :rak_01:

I'm pretty sure the good names have been gone for a very long time. :rolleyes:

Back in November is was advertised as one free per month, but this was quickly taken down as the name changes hadn't actually been released at that point. It was never spoken of again. (There's a rather long thread about it the CS forum.)

Man, I don't remember that but I hope it's not true.

One name change a month. Thats a little over the top.

Man, I don't remember that but I hope it's not true.

One name change a month. Thats a little over the top.

Why? Do you own EA stock?

This was one of the appeasements that was reneged on after F2P went live. I fail to see how subscribers getting a free name change every month would herald the end of civilization as we know it.

Why? Do you own EA stock?

This was one of the appeasements that was reneged on after F2P went live. I fail to see how subscribers getting a free name change every month would herald the end of civilization as we know it.

I rather like knowing the people I ignore or the people I run across who just make the game worse stay the same unless they pay to change it.

Even then I want my ignore list to be update to the new name. If you make my ignore list you deserved it.

If they going to cause problems, the least they can do is pay some real cash to get out of it to the game.

A free name change once a month is a little much in my book.

I rather like knowing the people I ignore or the people I run across who just make the game worse stay the same unless they pay to change it.

Even then I want my ignore list to be update to the new name. If you make my ignore list you deserved it.

If they going to cause problems, the least they can do is pay some real cash to get out of it to the game.

Good point. I feel the same about ignore/friend listings. Really with the current limitations of the naming system renames are kind of frivolous anyway.

You realize that, much like friends lists, ignore lists are updated when a name is changed? At the very least, that can settle your fears (if you had any) related to name changes and ignore lists.

I agree that giving out name changes for free each month is unnecessary -- but mainly because BW would be losing out on money.

I believe the devs posted something about the free monthly name changes for subs coming within a few weeks or very soon or something when 2.1 first came out.

I'm pretty sure the good names have been gone for a very long time. :rolleyes:

Yeah, all I'm doing is swapping names between my mains/alts and placeholders I've had for a very long time.

I believe the devs posted something about the free monthly name changes for subs coming within a few weeks or very soon or something when 2.1 first came out.

Negative. Musco did say that the ONE name change was in the works, but wouldn't be released with 2.1 because of some issues that popped up with it.

Nothing has been said about monthly name changes -- not since the first time many many months ago.

Seeing now that name changes are using CC instead of regular cash (though the argument could be made they are one and the same), it is unlikely a name change (sir name or legacy name) will ever be a "Free" service.

There's no question of likelihood. They explicitly stated that subscribers will be getting free name changes, both on the main web site in November and again in this post 2 weeks ago:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6293560#edit6293560

On a side note to clear up another question: one free Character Name Change will be given to each subscriber account at a later date, but this is not yet available.

There's no question of likelihood. They explicitly stated that subscribers will be getting free name changes, both on the main web site in November and again in this post 2 weeks ago:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6293560#edit6293560

So it was said in November, and then again a few weeks ago. Yet still no definitive time frame. Until it actually happens, best not to get hopes too high. We are all well aware of the statements made by corporations and the ability to fulfill most of them. Server transfers come to mind. Still no idea when, or how much.

Granted, they will give the first away, but how long before the altoholics clamor for more since they will want more than one changed. Odds are, they are stalling until they can work out the logistics and establish a suitable % of complaints they would be willing to handle about their announcement. We both know that 50 people will be thrilled while 500 will be outraged. There is no way to please everyone, and they are having a difficult time just trying to please a few.

So, if and when the announcement ever comes, it will replace the current available system which appears to be working for them. The use of CCs.

So it was said in November, and then again a few weeks ago. Yet still no definitive time frame. Until it actually happens, best not to get hopes too high. We are all well aware of the statements made by corporations and the ability to fulfill most of them. Server transfers come to mind. Still no idea when, or how much.

Granted, they will give the first away, but how long before the altoholics clamor for more since they will want more than one changed. Odds are, they are stalling until they can work out the logistics and establish a suitable % of complaints they would be willing to handle about their announcement. We both know that 50 people will be thrilled while 500 will be outraged. There is no way to please everyone, and they are having a difficult time just trying to please a few.

So, if and when the announcement ever comes, it will replace the current available system which appears to be working for them. The use of CCs.

I take it you don't read?

Server Transfers are planned for 2.2. And still on schedule according to what has been said recently.

They've said MULTIPLE times, since 2.1 details came out, that 2.1 would INCLUDE 1 free name change.

You're certainly welcome to ignore what they say, or assume they will take that away, but I'll wait and see. I have no reason to believe that there isn't an actual issue with awarding the free character renames. They've never given away a free CM item before, and since it isn't BoL -- they have to give it to you as an "unclaimed" item.

Server Transfers are planned for 2.2. And still on schedule according to what has been said recently.

They've said MULTIPLE times, since 2.1 details came out, that 2.1 would INCLUDE 1 free name change.

You're certainly welcome to ignore what they say, or assume they will take that away, but I'll wait and see. I have no reason to believe that there isn't an actual issue with awarding the free character renames. They've never given away a free CM item before, and since it isn't BoL -- they have to give it to you as an "unclaimed" item.

They could just make a different version of the name change item that does the same thing but is not a cartel market item and is bind on legacy.

Sorry. I just tend to go by what is in the patch notes. I try not to assume anything is being added until it is added. I find assumptions are bad.

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/2.1.1/5302013

Yeah, before they just mailed stuff to your character. I don't think they can do that with this, since it is just one name change. How would they know which toon to send it to? They have to figure out how to credit it into the CM. That's complicated because they can't just award 1,000 CCs (what would stop someone from spending it on something else?).

I get that it's tricky. They will figure it out. Until then, patience.

Yeah, before they just mailed stuff to your character. I don't think they can do that with this, since it is just one name change. How would they know which toon to send it to? They have to figure out how to credit it into the CM. That's complicated because they can't just award 1,000 CCs (what would stop someone from spending it on something else?).

Agreed. I am not saying it won't happen, just saying not at the moment. You hit the nail on the head though. How do they decide which toon gets it? Do they just send the CCs and if you name change you name change and if you spend it else where, oh well? It's a tough call. I'm sure it will get figured out, but 2.1.1 has come and gone, so it might take some more time.

As I said, they don't have to use the same item. It's not like they're going, "damn, ok we have this cartel market rename item that we ourselves made and there's no other way we can give out renames and there's no way we can make a second, slightly different version of that same item that isn't a cartel market item."

As I said, they don't have to use the same item. It's not like they're going, "damn, ok we have this cartel market rename item that we ourselves made and there's no other way we can give out renames and there's no way we can make a second, slightly different version of that same item that isn't a cartel market item."

Let's say they make one. Now they have to modify it to be Account Bound to be mailable to an alt should the alt need the rename. No one is saying they won't or shouldn't, they are simply saying "how" seems to be a little tricky. They will figure it out in time.