The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

lightsabers can vaporize the victims?

i know it's a strange question, but i just can't get this question out of my head...

when i saw darth vader killing obi wan, he simply vanished, no corpe, just his clothes remained.

so... how much damage can a lightsaber do to make a corpse simply vanish after 1 hit?

The lightsaber did not destroy Obi-Wan's body. Obi-Wan became one with the Force. Yoda's body also disappeared but he was not cut down, he died in bed.

when you become one with the force your corpse simply disappear?

i didn't know that. because everytime i saw a jedi dying for a lightsaber, he just died there, with corpse and everything. obi wan is the only i ever saw vanishing after being killed by a lightsaber.

when you become one with the force your corpse simply disappear?

i didn't know that. because everytime i saw a jedi dying for a lightsaber, he just died there, with corpse and everything. obi wan is the only i ever saw vanishing after being killed by a lightsaber.

Its something that is taught, or unless being extremely powerful in The Force(AKA: Anakin). Its not something that every Jedi knew how to do.

Personally, I always thought Obi-wan was bluffing with that "If you strike me down I'll become more powerful" line. Glad to se darth didn't buy it.

i'll be honest

the first time i saw that scene, i just cound't believe obi wan was dead, in my head obi wan just vanished and would join with luke in the future, but in the episode VI, when i saw obi wan ghost, i was just thinking "***? so he really died in there?"

i was a kid that time anyway...

i'll be honest

the first time i saw that scene, i just cound't believe obi wan was dead, in my head obi wan just vanished and would join with luke in the future, but in the episode VI, when i saw obi wan ghost, i was just thinking "***? so he really died in there?"

i was a kid that time anyway...

Well, I read somewhere that the audience as a whole audibly gasped when Obi-Wan was killed in the premier of ANH. Your reaction isn't surprising.

The lightsaber did not destroy Obi-Wan's body. Obi-Wan became one with the Force. Yoda's body also disappeared but he was not cut down, he died in bed.

eh.... ehn... thats not exactly what happened. Becoming a Force Ghost does not involve becoming "One With the Force" Rather one is required to reject the traditional Jedi Philosophy of Becoming One With the Force at the moment of their death in order to continue to maintain their consciousness after death.

Becoming One With the Force basically means that you are assimilated by the Force and cease to have conscious thought from then on. This is why Count Doku, Mace Windu, and almost every other Jedi and Sith who died during the Clone Wars did not simply up and vanish, they became one with the Force and ceased to exist as anything other than a memory (or if they had transferred some of their essence into a holocron they may still exist there). Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Yoda, Anakin and several later Jedi are different because they choose to continue to exist after their deaths.

eh.... ehn... thats not exactly what happened. Becoming a Force Ghost does not involve becoming "One With the Force" Rather one is required to reject the traditional Jedi Philosophy of Becoming One With the Force at the moment of their death in order to continue to maintain their consciousness after death.

Becoming One With the Force basically means that you are assimilated by the Force and cease to have conscious thought from then on. This is why Count Doku, Mace Windu, and almost every other Jedi and Sith who died during the Clone Wars did not simply up and vanish, they became one with the Force and ceased to exist as anything other than a memory (or if they had transferred some of their essence into a holocron they may still exist there). Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Yoda, Anakin and several later Jedi are different because they choose to continue to exist after their deaths.

Well...I simplified it. ;)

If by simplify you mean "Got the terminology completely wrong" then yeah I guess you did.

That matter is not completely clear. Most sources state that the spirits of Force-sensitives go to the Netherworld of the Force, retaining their consciousness and identities, and the Force ghosts were just a temporary state before joining this realm. Thus, becoming "one with the Force" would mean just joining it's realm

Some, like Yoda, Qui-Gonn and Plagueis, believed that, in fact, becoming one with the Force meanned exactly what you said. But those were assumption that they made in life, not absolute truths.

That said, I tend to agree with the first hypothesis, just because she is more supposted by canon, directly and indirectly.

If by simplify you mean "Got the terminology completely wrong" then yeah I guess you did.

That matter is not completely clear. Most sources state that the spirits of Force-sensitives go to the Netherworld of the Force, retaining their consciousness and identities, and the Force ghosts were just a temporary state before joining this realm. Thus, becoming "one with the Force" would mean just joining it's realm

Some, like Yoda, Qui-Gonn and Plagueis, believed that, in fact, becoming one with the Force meanned exactly what you said. But those were assumption that they made in life, not absolute truths.

That said, I tend to agree with the first hypothesis, just because she is more supposted by canon, directly and indirectly.

I actually remember reading in a SW book that's name escapes me at the moment that a force ghost isn't sentient being at all, and is actually a force imprint on a living force users mind of that person. In other words it is not the spirit form of Obi, but rather lukes mind manifesting what he knows of him through the force. Of course like so many things in Star Wars this was quickly made untrue.

I actually remember reading in a SW book that's name escapes me at the moment that a force ghost isn't sentient being at all, and is actually a force imprint on a living force users mind of that person. In other words it is not the spirit form of Obi, but rather lukes mind manifesting what he knows of him through the force. Of course like so many things in Star Wars this was quickly made untrue.

That book must of been recent and written after George Lucas sold the rights of the series to Disney. Because what you just described sounds almost identical to the way Ghosts and Portraits are described in the Harry Potter series, and not how Force Ghosts are described. If Force Ghosts are simply the equivalent of a snap-shot of the persons force signature left on the mind of the person, then please explain why it appears that the heroes all saw the Force Ghosts at the end of Return of the Jedi, and why multiple characters can see Force Ghosts in Star Wars the Old Republic?

I mean, Ashara Zavros, and the Sith Inquisitor can both at the very least see Ashara Zavros' ancestor, though apparently most of the Jedi Order on Taris has seen said ancestor at some point. Not to mention that apparently the Force Ghost of whatever his name is, the Master Jedi on Tython, in the Consular's storyline was seen by both the Consular and the Consulars enemy on Tython apparently. And in the case of these Force Ghosts there is no way that the characters in question ever met the people who they are Ghosts of, so how could they be imprinted on the mind of the person who they are appearing to?

And that doesn't even begin to explain Kallig.