The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

If your thinking of rolling a PT for DPS, don't!

Individual

Who cares about stupid dummy parses and PVE content, it means nothing in PVP. Here is my "observational parse" as the current state of warzones on average for top conqueror geared players:

Healer OP = 1400-1700 HPS

Healer Sorc = 1300-1600 HPS

Sniper (various configs) = 1200-1500 DPS

Marauder = 1100-1400 DPS

Lethality Operative = 1000-1300

Damage Sorc = 1000-1300

Jugg / Merc / Assassin / PT = 700-1100 DPS

Thats how it breaks down in reality nerds, except for one painful point. Jugg and Assassin can still play a role a s a tank and stealth (deception) killer, what in the hell does a bounty hunter do? At least a merc can off hand heal , but that's a pretty weak. A PT can.....................................? Run the ball in huttball with full tank gear? Great.

Do yourself a favor and role one of the new top classes. I have a healer Op at 51 right now, and in greens fully bolstered to 1900 I can do 1200 HPS and it's brain dead easy to play and invincible.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares about stupid dummy parses and PVE content, it means nothing in PVP. Here is my "observational parse" as the current state of warzones on average for top conqueror geared players:

Healer OP = 1400-1700 HPS

Healer Sorc = 1300-1600 HPS

Sniper (various configs) = 1200-1500 DPS

Marauder = 1100-1400 DPS

Lethality Operative = 1000-1300

Damage Sorc = 1000-1300

Jugg / Merc / Assassin / PT = 700-1100 DPS

Thats how it breaks down in reality nerds, except for one painful point. Jugg and Assassin can still play a role a s a tank and stealth (deception) killer, what in the hell does a bounty hunter do? At least a merc can off hand heal , but that's a pretty weak. A PT can.....................................? Run the ball in huttball with full tank gear? Great.

Do yourself a favor and role one of the new top classes. I have a healer Op at 51 right now, and in greens fully bolstered to 1900 I can do 1200 HPS and it's brain dead easy to play and invincible.

Thank you for posting.

AP spec doesn't have the DPS to take your operative down. None of the attacks hit for more than 5K, so you can easily outheal them. When you see me Hit the big channeled flamethrower proc, what are you going to do? Yep. Hit ROLL, and take maybe one tick, and then ignore me.

Pyro doesn't have the survivability to last long in any fight. It does have enough DPS to make your operative healer at least run away and try to peel. I can't kill you, (unless you're bad) but I can stop you from healing your team.

PT doesn't bring anything to a PVP group that other classes don't do better. It may be a viable spec for fighting a stationary meat lump boss with 100K HP, but it's complete *** against other players.

It's also real easy to fix: just add PT rail armor pen and TD damage back. A little defense would be nice, since we lost the redoubt proc in the pyro tree.

AP needs more damage, period. It depends too much on a channeled ability that any push will stop.

Edited by Brunner_Venda

Since 2.0 dropped, DPS Powertechs have all but disappeared on my server. Those that rolled tank spec remain so, and some have made the switch to tank. But for the most part, it's rare to see a DPS PT in a warzone these days.

The class has issues, no doubt. I think we need our 30m range abilities back to balance out the lack of burst. AP is still junk in my opinion. Pyro is not dead, at least not in the hands of a competent player. I dusted off my PT this week and started gearing up for DPS again. Today, even with crap gear (some of it still tank spec) I got up to 830k damage in PvP, which is nothing to sneeze at.

No, you're not bursting everyone down in 3-5 GCD, but the damage potential is still there, even in 1v1.

Since 2.0 dropped, DPS Powertechs have all but disappeared on my server. Those that rolled tank spec remain so, and some have made the switch to tank. But for the most part, it's rare to see a DPS PT in a warzone these days.

The class has issues, no doubt. I think we need our 30m range abilities back to balance out the lack of burst. AP is still junk in my opinion. Pyro is not dead, at least not in the hands of a competent player. I dusted off my PT this week and started gearing up for DPS again. Today, even with crap gear (some of it still tank spec) I got up to 830k damage in PvP, which is nothing to sneeze at.

No, you're not bursting everyone down in 3-5 GCD, but the damage potential is still there, even in 1v1.

On my server we have like 3 dps pts/vgs left and a **** load of ****** pt/vg tanks that have no idea what a tanks role is :rolleyes: a fix to our burst would be nice bw:rolleyes:

This is a recent game with the prototype flamethrower/pyro build. http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=eqcuid&s=5

Still quite capable.

Ya, it's all fluff damage. You had 19 kills, while a Sorc at not even 300k got 22 kills. Most of your damage was probably dots and flame thrower. The kind of damage your putting out is only nice in normal warzones. That won't even fly in ranked. DOT damage doesn't get the job done. Need more burst for PVP to be viable.

do you want me to link boss parses where is disprove you as well?

YES please! Post some stats of your parses so we can see how bad you suck! The parse on a dummy is really easy to get ridiculous dps on, snipers can do like 3400 ish on a dummy, go look at Paowee's sniper guide on that class's forums. Also this ridiculous parse makes me think he had a buddy with him to give him an armor pen debuff. But then again, I really don't understand your constant defense of the class. It's like you will go through any lengths to say that it's not the worst dps class, when, it is. I've seen deception sins do more dps on a boss fight, remember dummy parses don't mean **** if you're a regular raider, sometimes mobility is an issue and when you have to stand and channel a stupid flamethrower you're hurting your dps, if you can just stand still the whole time, great, but that rarely happens in a raid.

Keep trying Hizoka, I've come to enjoy your stupidity.

that right you did a "quick" glance. If you actually look at that top jugg parse it is an edited log. He is smash spec using smash every 9-10 seconds when smash is on a 12 second cooldown.

When you see 1-2 parses way higher then the rest you need to look deeper.

and BTW a smash jugg or even a vengance juss is not any more offensive or defensive then an AP powertech. Smash ONLY has smash outside of that they are 0 threat and vengance is only really scary when doing ravage which is less of a threat then a PTs flamethrower.

If a Jugg is on top of his **** he is doing a smash every 6 seconds in smash spec. Juggs have 3 defensive cooldowns and an aggro dump that heals them if they use it correctly. Also they have an armor debuff, also a gap closer. If you think PT and Juggs are equal then you must be a child because only a child would think that. Juggs are some of the highest dps, still. The "nerf" didn't really do anything to them. They fixed vengeance as well. Btw Ravage is WAY stronger then a PT's flamethrower. 9k for flamethrower and close to 12-14 for ravage in veng spec. Learn other classes before you talk them down.

Ya, it's all fluff damage. You had 19 kills, while a Sorc at not even 300k got 22 kills. Most of your damage was probably dots and flame thrower. The kind of damage your putting out is only nice in normal warzones. That won't even fly in ranked. DOT damage doesn't get the job done. Need more burst for PVP to be viable.

Uh, I'm not going that far. The sorc had more kills because he was offhealing. If you look he's got more healing than dmg. Healers always have a ****ton of kills on the scoreboard because of how they're calculated. I mean, the screenshot is damn impressive. It just doesn't make sense to me. I agree with you entirely about them needing more burst for ranked. That or make Energy Rebounder into a passive ability for all PTs. Preferably both.

Sardonyyx, if you check out TORparse she has the top damage for PTs on a lot of the S&V boss fights. No need to be so hostile when she's actually putting her money where her mouth is.

Uh, I'm not going that far. The sorc had more kills because he was offhealing. If you look he's got more healing than dmg. Healers always have a ****ton of kills on the scoreboard because of how they're calculated. I mean, the screenshot is damn impressive. It just doesn't make sense to me. I agree with you entirely about them needing more burst for ranked. That or make Energy Rebounder into a passive ability for all PTs. Preferably both.

Without the 30% surge for railshot you don't hit that hard. Needless to say we won that game because I was able to put so much pressure on multiple healers. Honestly, I really like the way they handled deception/infiltration buffing and a similar reset on explosive fuel would go a long way. The burst is there; it's just tied to a 2 min CD. Energy rebounders feels necessary but then you run the risk of overbuffing the tank spec and losing any reason whatsoever to go advanced proto.

Without the 30% surge for railshot you don't hit that hard. Needless to say we won that game because I was able to put so much pressure on multiple healers. Honestly, I really like the way they handled deception/infiltration buffing and a similar reset on explosive fuel would go a long way. The burst is there; it's just tied to a 2 min CD. Energy rebounders feels necessary but then you run the risk of overbuffing the tank spec and losing any reason whatsoever to go advanced proto.

I've said it before:

AP should get oil slick. It's a gadget kind of skill, and the slow coupled with the 30% accuracy debuff means that AP can get into position for the PFT easier. Would have been even cooler if The two skills worked together, like if PFT ignited the oil slick for even more fun.

I have no idea why they gave pyro the automated defense skill. It lowers the CD of kolto overload, which ONlY works at or below 30% health. Basically, Pyros get to hit a button and just die right away from the next 'dispatch' or 'smash'. Tanks have the health and the defenses to make this worthwhile, why did pyro get it?

Pyro had the energy rebounder skill before, because smart people figured out that PT needs a defensive CD when we have more than 70% of our health. We don't have defense and shield stacked like tanks. We don't have rebraced armor and take 30% less when smashed or stunned like AP. It worked great and some dumb *** moved it.

I've said it before:

AP should get oil slick. It's a gadget kind of skill, and the slow coupled with the 30% accuracy debuff means that AP can get into position for the PFT easier. Would have been even cooler if The two skills worked together, like if PFT ignited the oil slick for even more fun.

I have no idea why they gave pyro the automated defense skill. It lowers the CD of kolto overload, which ONlY works at or below 30% health. Basically, Pyros get to hit a button and just die right away from the next 'dispatch' or 'smash'. Tanks have the health and the defenses to make this worthwhile, why did pyro get it?

Pyro had the energy rebounder skill before, because smart people figured out that PT needs a defensive CD when we have more than 70% of our health. We don't have defense and shield stacked like tanks. We don't have rebraced armor and take 30% less when smashed or stunned like AP. It worked great and some dumb *** moved it.

Yeah that's a real problem lol. The trees have always been all kinds of jumbled...it's like they made this class' skill tree whilst drunk.

Also I get Hizoka is a good PT, Aertus, just an arsehole about how he goes about saying it. Also, he's probably one of the ony PTs that upload to ToRparse. No body plays them anymore because of lower damage and lack of defensives/utility...you can go on all day about energy rebounder, but it doesn't help much as you think. It needs something like Oil slick to make it more appealing to pvpers, and the ignition of Oil slick by PFT that Brunner mentioned, to make it appealing to raiders. The class needs work and is no way just fine the way it is, and that's a point I think most of us are trying to make, but we get people like Hizoka who just say "no, it's just because you guys suck" and refuse to acknowledge that the class is hurting pretty bad from where it was on the PTS.

• 2 weeks later...

Quit B...i...t..c..h...i...n...g!!! Yea we're underpowered and nerfed to hell. I have a 31 Powertech and a 27 Vanguard. In warzones im averaging about 330 to 420k. I play tactics/AP. Learn to adapt until they give us something back or buff us again.

Obviously the devs dont care so just chive on until one of them finally reads these posts and does something about it.

Quit B...i...t..c..h...i...n...g!!! Yea we're underpowered and nerfed to hell. I have a 31 Powertech and a 27 Vanguard. In warzones im averaging about 330 to 420k. I play tactics/AP. Learn to adapt until they give us something back or buff us again.

Obviously the devs dont care so just chive on until one of them finally reads these posts and does something about it.

Let's give you a round of applause for your elite skills in lowbies. My concealment operative looked pretty good in lowbies too, until I got to 55 and people had 30k+ HP but my skills barely hit any harder than they did when I was 50ish.

The trees need reworked definitely and some burst needs to be returned. Tanking is in a pretty good spot but dps is just meh all-around.

St...f...u with your nonsense. Lvl 31? LOL this is end game complaints we are having buddy, go back to the kiddy pool that is lowbie pvp. You know nothing of underpowered because you're not even capped yet.

Avg 330 to 420K. Learn to adept. HAHAHAHA. And level 31, really? Do you think anyone cares about your below avg dps on your lowbie PT?! Adapt to what exactly? I did adapt. I stopped playing PT, because there is no reason for me to drag ops dps when I have equally geared marauder. And for PvP, PT is terrible dps with terrible survivability. All the class has is utility. Anyone smart playing PvP in WZs is playing shield tech right now. Anything else is crap.

Avg 330 to 420K. Learn to adept. HAHAHAHA. And level 31, really? Do you think anyone cares about your below avg dps on your lowbie PT?! Adapt to what exactly? I did adapt. I stopped playing PT, because there is no reason for me to drag ops dps when I have equally geared marauder. And for PvP, PT is terrible dps with terrible survivability. All the class has is utility. Anyone smart playing PvP in WZs is playing shield tech right now. Anything else is crap.

Well, this is just completely incorrect. But ultimately, this is why nerfs are nice sometimes. Get the below average players that only roll FotM on to something else. To state unequivocally that the ONLY viable spec in WZ is Shield tech is patently false. AP does good damage and has excellent utility and survivability, of course, it obviously isn't the 4-5 button spec that someone at your skill level requires...but it is what it is. The guy you quoted was trying to explain that AP is more than viable, which it is...but that message will always be lost on little drama queens like you. Oh well. :)

Hey man, appreciate the effort to alleviate some of the severe whining taking place in this thread...but you're wasting your time. Kids almost always opt for the path of least resistance. I have a blast playing my AP, and am more than viable on it, but that reality will be lost on the average gamer since they want easy mode. It's Human nature.

Well, this is just completely incorrect. But ultimately, this is why nerfs are nice sometimes. Get the below average players that only roll FotM on to something else. To state unequivocally that the ONLY viable spec in WZ is Shield tech is patently false. AP does good damage and has excellent utility and survivability, of course, it obviously isn't the 4-5 button spec that someone at your skill level requires...but it is what it is. The guy you quoted was trying to explain that AP is more than viable, which it is...but that message will always be lost on little drama queens like you. Oh well. :)

Stop bragging about AP, it needs less buttons than full pyro. It is nice for PUGs, but sucks for ranked, so you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Pyro burst is still better than AP, and with a pocket healer in rwz, it's far better than AP which has nothing except taking smashes for less damage... what skill level sir really, i'm impressed. Go troll elsewhere.

Stop bragging about AP, it needs less buttons than full pyro. It is nice for PUGs, but sucks for ranked, so you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Pyro burst is still better than AP, and with a pocket healer in rwz, it's far better than AP which has nothing except taking smashes for less damage... what skill level sir really, i'm impressed. Go troll elsewhere.

I'm not bragging or trolling. To say that PT is worthless for PvP (which includes both ranked and unranked, in case you didn't know that), is a flat out lie and blowing the situation way out of proportion. it just so happens that I play AP and prefer it...for no other reason but the fact I enjoy it more. So, my experience with AP greatly outpaces my experience with Pyro. I've never quite cared for a "one trick" pony, which in my opinion Pyro has been since launch. But that's neither here nor there, my point is...there's plenty of viability in all three specs, Pyro just isn't OP anymore. Look at my sig, do I really have to explain to you why i'd use AP as an example when debating the viability of Powertech as an advanced class???

Edited by crewthiefthor

Oh boy, another person for me to argue with...here we go...pyro is not/was not a face roll spec, it was not a three button spec either. In pvp it was maybe 5-7, and in pve it was 4-6. I get if if you cannot learn another class and insist on using one that is behind in all aspects of the game. It doesn't matter how good you are, that doesn't change the fact that the powertech is no longer the damage machine it used to be, because of the nerfs to pyro, AP was never completely viable, and I remember the days of EC hard mode when I ran AP and always was at the bottom of our raid parse. And no I did not suck at it either, I played my pt since launch, I know how to play the spec, and its almost the same as pyro, you spam buttons waiting for a cooldown, except in AP only one of those cooldowns is worth using. You live and die from flamethrower, quite possibly the most easily evaded move in the game other than OS. You have 1 dot, which is cleansable and nothing you have hits over 5k. Both pyro and AP had a dot, then they used flame burst rocket punch and rail shot. The only thing you're adding is immolate and flamethrower, other than that, the spec is the same.

AP is not some solution to the powertech problem, sure it's nice to see flamethrower hit hard on your ship dummy, but take that into a raid and you will be dead last in the parse every time. They only buffed your damage by 3%, not enough to make a diffrerence. Please stop saying the class is fine when it is clearly not. There needs to be something done about it.

I pull MORE (that's right) more damage, with my PT hybrid than my sniper. It's NOT a faceroll spec. It requires timing, and positioning, and being a *********** ******. Please, before you cry about PTs, L2P. Please. We're not "gods", but we're pulling strong numbers. Sure, we're not bursty, but we still have our damage.

I pull MORE (that's right) more damage, with my PT hybrid than my sniper. It's NOT a faceroll spec.

That means you're a better PT than you are a sniper. It's that simple. No one, I suspect not even Hizoka, would assert that PTs deal more damage than snipers. Nor are they safer. So if you're getting better numbers on one, then...

Edited by Aetrus

Oh boy, another person for me to argue with...here we go...pyro is not/was not a face roll spec, it was not a three button spec either. In pvp it was maybe 5-7, and in pve it was 4-6. I get if if you cannot learn another class and insist on using one that is behind in all aspects of the game. It doesn't matter how good you are, that doesn't change the fact that the powertech is no longer the damage machine it used to be, because of the nerfs to pyro, AP was never completely viable, and I remember the days of EC hard mode when I ran AP and always was at the bottom of our raid parse. And no I did not suck at it either, I played my pt since launch, I know how to play the spec, and its almost the same as pyro, you spam buttons waiting for a cooldown, except in AP only one of those cooldowns is worth using. You live and die from flamethrower, quite possibly the most easily evaded move in the game other than OS. You have 1 dot, which is cleansable and nothing you have hits over 5k. Both pyro and AP had a dot, then they used flame burst rocket punch and rail shot. The only thing you're adding is immolate and flamethrower, other than that, the spec is the same.

AP is not some solution to the powertech problem, sure it's nice to see flamethrower hit hard on your ship dummy, but take that into a raid and you will be dead last in the parse every time. They only buffed your damage by 3%, not enough to make a diffrerence. Please stop saying the class is fine when it is clearly not. There needs to be something done about it.

I didn't say Pyro was a faceroll spec...my assertion is that in its previous incarnation many players were using it as a crutch. It's far from faceroll at this point in time. I suppose it just boils down to playing what you enjoy, I for one enjoy AP playstyle...and have played it since very shortly after launch. I suspect that players who truly enjoy the playstyle/concept of BH, specifically Powertech, will continue to put effort into making it work. There's alot more to AP than sustained damage...i'd argue that its damage dealing capability takes a backseat to it's excellent utility.