The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

ETA on Advanced Class change?

I figured I would make an attempt to repost this....but it might be futile in a sea of trolls. We might have to wait until later to continue the discussion peacefully.

Option 1 - This is the one I am currently willing to begrudgingly support

Level 10 to 15 - Allow AC Change - max 2 changes allowed - reduction to level 10 with change - 24 hour cooldown - once you reach level 16 AC is permanent - everything except XP and quests are unaffected - armor/earpieces/weapons for character and companions are removed and must be reequipped.

Option 2

Level 10 to 55 - Allow AC Change - max 1 change allowed - reduction to level 10 with change - no cooldown - no level gate for permanent AC choice - everything except XP and quests are unaffected - armor/earpieces/weapons for character and companions are removed and must be reequipped.

Option 3

Level 10 to 55 - Allow AC Change - max 2 changes allowed - no reduction in level - one month cooldown - no level gate for permanent AC choice - everything is unaffected - armor/earpieces/weapons for character and companions are removed and must be reequipped.

Option 4

Level 10 to 30 - Allow AC Change - max 1 change allowed - no reduction in level - no cooldown - no level gate for permanent AC choice - everything is unaffected - armor/earpieces/weapons for character and companions are removed and must be reequipped.

Option 5

Level 10 to 46 - Allow AC Change - no maximum changes, can change at will up to 46 - no reduction in level - no cooldown - once you reach level 47 AC is permanent - everything is unaffected - armor/earpieces/weapons for character and companions are removed and must be reequipped.

Option 6

Level 10 to 55 - Allow AC Change - no maximum changes, can change at will - no reduction in level - no cooldown - no level gate for permanent AC choice - everything is unaffected - armor/earpieces/weapons for character and companions are removed and must be reequipped.

Option 7 - This is the one that would be my preference, though I'm reasonably open to option 1

No AC change allowed.

I felt it was only fair to add in the "do not allow AC changes ever" if I am going to include the "allow AC change with no restrictions".

If I have missed anyone else's proposal or wish please let me know so I can correct or add it. I would also like to list the players that support the particular options listed under the option if that's ok with you guys.

That way we can clearly see who supports what. It's up to all of you if you want me to add you that way.

Edited by LordArtemis

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured I would make an attempt to repost this....but it might be futile in a sea of trolls. We might have to wait until later to continue the discussion peacefully.

Option 1 - This is the one I am currently willing to begrudgingly support

Level 10 to 15 - Allow AC Change - max 2 changes allowed - reduction to level 10 with change - 24 hour cooldown - once you reach level 16 AC is permanent - everything except XP and quests are unaffected - armor/earpieces/weapons for character and companions are removed and must be reequipped.

Option 2

Level 10 to 55 - Allow AC Change - max 1 change allowed - reduction to level 10 with change - no cooldown - no level gate for permanent AC choice - everything except XP and quests are unaffected - armor/earpieces/weapons for character and companions are removed and must be reequipped.

Option 3

Level 10 to 55 - Allow AC Change - max 2 changes allowed - no reduction in level - one month cooldown - no level gate for permanent AC choice - everything is unaffected - armor/earpieces/weapons for character and companions are removed and must be reequipped.

Option 4

Level 10 to 30 - Allow AC Change - max 1 change allowed - no reduction in level - no cooldown - no level gate for permanent AC choice - everything is unaffected - armor/earpieces/weapons for character and companions are removed and must be reequipped.

Option 5

Level 10 to 55 - Allow AC Change - no maximum changes, can change at will - no reduction in level - no cooldown - no level gate for permanent AC choice - everything is unaffected - armor/earpieces/weapons for character and companions are removed and must be reequipped.

Option 6 - This is the one that would be my preference, though I'm reasonably open to option 1

No AC change allowed.

I felt it was only fair to add in the "do not allow AC changes ever" if I am going to include the "allow AC change with no restrictions".

If I have missed anyone else's proposal or wish please let me know so I can correct or add it.

Option 3 or 4 would be the best choice.

Since nobody should be able to determine how they play the characters they pay for, allowing an AC change should be an option for all players.

You don't believe in AC changes? Then don't do it. It's that simple.

You want an AC change? Go change it. .It's that simple.

There is no need for a debate, having more options for players is always good rather than bad. Especially when they are PAYING for their time.

Option 3 or 4 would be the best choice.

Since nobody should be able to determine how they play the characters they pay for, allowing an AC change should be an option for all players.

You don't believe in AC changes? Then don't do it. It's that simple.

You want an AC change? Go change it. .It's that simple.

There is no need for a debate, having more options for players is always good rather than bad. Especially when they are PAYING for their time.

Well, to be fair both sides keep saying there is no need for a debate. I think that there is a need...considering that Bioware MAY add this in the near future I think we all should discuss how, if ever, it gets implemented. It may be futile...they have been known to ignore some feedback and pay attention to others.

But I think the alternative...let Bioware simply guess in a vacuum...would not be wise. It might be helpful if they get some kind of small idea how we feel about it.

Also...great name :)

Edited by LordArtemis

Since it seems some folks...not all, but some...cant seem to stop posting inaccurate information, I will repost this. If I have to I will fish out every single quote placed in this thread...I hope not, thats a rather lengthy post.

Naturally it may be all for not since people will continue to post false information instead of simply getting it right or posting that what they are saying is JUST OPINION.

Here it is.

Aurozia: Will there be a dual specialization system in the future? Will there be a possibility of changing advance classes as well?

Daniel Erickson: We have no plans for switching advanced classes - which we see as fundamentally different class designs- but dual spec is in the works and coming soon.

Spoken by Daniel Erickson, a Dev that no longer works for the company, and he did NOT SAY THEY WERE INDIVIDUAL CLASSES. He said they SEE THEM AS FUNDAMENTALLY DIFFERENT CLASS DESIGNS.

You can assume what that means if you like. I think it means they see them as similar to classes, different enough from each other to be treated like a class....which I agree with.

He doesn't say they are distinct classes, they were designed that way, etc.

Oh, but wait, here is another exact quote....and a more recent one at that, from a CURRENT STAFF MEMBER....

Duffy: Will be there any faction or Advanced Class change option available for purchase in the future?

Damion Schubert: We have had serious talks recently about offering an Advanced Class change option – I think that one will likely happen eventually. Species is likely as well. Doing a faction switch is considerably more difficult for us, though, due to the various quest flags set throughout the level up process, so this isn’t on the horizon anytime soon.

Note that DS does not say in any way shape or form that ACs are classes. Nor does he say they are not. But verbatum, they have had serious talks about offering it and it will likely happen eventually.

So here are the only true facts based on both quotes and other direct Bioware quotes posted in this thread.

1) Bioware sees ACs as fundamentally different class designs. There is no way of knowing if the current dev team has the same view, but it is likely.

2) Bioware has had serious talks recently recently about offering AC change, and at least one dev believes this will likely happen eventually.

3) AC choice is currently a permanent choice. Players receive warnings to this effect.

4) You are not required to choose an AC. You can play all the way to level 50 without choosing one (haven't seen evidence of level 55, so I can not state this as fact.

5) At one time, for several months, Bioware intended to allow AC change. This was before launch.

6) Bioware has called ACs roles or playstyle choices on more than one occasion. They have never specifically called them a class to my knowledge.

These are the only facts that are irrefutable. Multiple posts have been provided to prove it.

Edited by LordArtemis

option 3 IMO is the best compromise.

option 4 is restricted too early, IMO. I think lvl 46 would be a better alternative, if only because that is the level at which you can explore the top keystone abilities and make the most informed decision on whether playstyle of a particular advanced class and spec works for you. also option 4 seems to be reiteration of option 1 but at slightly higher level, having reread your post, so I'd say you should add a separate option

edited to change format as per request

option 7.

allows unrestricted change between AC's but only up to level 46 (due to keystone abilities). meaning people can experiment with their AC, at will, but it cannot turn into FOTM tool, because its no longer available from lvl 47 and up - making selection permanent at that point. its merely there to allow people to figure out which play style they prefer from personal experience rather than from hearsay that may or may not apply to them.

discussion and debate is good. it allows for multiple points of view to be presented. even if people within the discussion refuse to bulge, it still allows observer - aka bioware to see multiple points of views and draw their own conclusions.

Edited by Jeweledleah

option 3 IMO is the best compromise.

option 4 is restricted too early, IMO. I think lvl 46 would be a better alternative, if only because that is the level at which you can explore the top keystone abilities and make the most informed decision on whether playstyle of a particular advanced class and spec works for you.

discussion and debate is good. it allows for multiple points of view to be presented. even if people within the discussion refuse to bulge, it still allows observer - aka bioware to see multiple points of views and draw their own conclusions.

I can add a level 46 option if you wish. Post it in the format above if you dont mind and I will add it to the next list.

I appreciate everyone that has the intent and interest to discuss...pro or con. It has helped me immensely in working out whether or not I would support this personally...which naturally means next to nothing. ;)

I can add a level 46 option if you wish. Post it in the format above if you dont mind and I will add it to the next list.

I appreciate everyone that has the intent and interest to discuss...pro or con. It has helped me immensely in working out whether or not I would support this personally...which naturally means next to nothing. ;)

edited my previous post as you requested.

I thought MMO's were build on people playing together as a team? never mind that AC change doesn't remove trinity mechanics. you still have healers, tanks and dps - they just have just a tiny touch more freedom in switching between these 3 roles.

also, I would really love to hear exactly how, objectively, will AC change hurt low level players, raiding and pvp. because I can only see it bringing about improvement personally, by giving people more options and flexibility

Sense you feel self entitled for everything I'll explain.

Simple it prevents old players from starting new characters which prevents veterans from helping new recruits into the game along with getting a basic understnading of there new class. Not to mention every new player that joins needs to see a live and vibrint world with players and first impressions are key to success. It would hurt the game more than your self entitled mind would think.

Edited by Asturias

strawman arguments ftw!

ac is a specialization of a class. currently - this choice for specialization is permanent. however - whether you are a vanguard or a commando? you are STILL a trooper. you share the same story, the same companions. you have exactly the same choices along the way. there is more difference to the story based on your chosen race then there is based on your chosen AC... and we can now change race.

you can hit max level without choosing your AC at all and it will not affect your story any, it will just make it more challenging to quest.

the fact that you don't even really have to chose AC at all? tells me that its not the same as choosing a class. you HAVE to chose a class to play. AC however? is not mandatory. so its not comparable to switching from trooper to say sith warrior. not even remotely.

there are NO flags in a game other than individual play style that would significantly affect the game if AC switch is allowed, unlike gender swap for example.

also and this is slightly murky but not contradictory to my statements above.

it is entirely possible to get to max level without finishing your personal story. you NEED to finish starter planet ( so that you could get off it - I could be wrong, but I'm not sure you can even use your lvl 10 travel to fleet ability unless you finished your personal story on a starter planet), and its advisable to at least finish enough of your story to get a ship, but once that's done? you don't have to do anything else. you are more restricted in how you can level, but the fact is - you CAN level. so. buying max level character or near max level (provided you level them far enough to get their ship, for example) is not such an awful "NO, NEVER" proposition. (and incidentally - WoW did it as a promotion for returning players - get one character to lvl 80 for resubscribing and guess what? world didn't end) you'd still need to quest through your story if you wanted more companions etc.

but there is no inherent virtue in taking the long way around. you don't have to personally take the short way - you are free to continue to enjoy the game YOU see fit. existence of an option =/= removing your choice not to take it and continuing to play as you prefer.

the truth is. different people may prefer different aspects of the game. they may enjoy certain parts of it, but not others. forcing them to play through the parts they do not enjoy doesn't make the game better or more fun.

imagine this. I don't know your personal preference, but lets pretend you hate pvp. now imagine if you are FORCED to pvp in order to progress your story and your character. even if you really like the story aspect and the end game pve aspect, just the fact that you must pvp to get to it? will turn you off the game for good and that's a shame, because you could have been having so much fun with the parts you love if only they weren't gated so much.

there is this assumption that if "easy" option is presented then everyone will take it and things will be bad. but the reality is - people who enjoy leveling and rolling alts will keep leveling and rolling alts, because that's what they like. you'll just have more people enjoying the game in more flexible ways.

So, by your definition story defines whether a player should be able to change class?

That works out great for those playing guild wars 2. Take my son and his friend. They both play charrs, they both made the almost the same selections at character creation. The sole difference is that they chose different professions. Their story lines are EXACTLY THE SAME, they have had the same choices, etc. Since their story lines are the same, then they should be able to change classes, right?

Oh, I forgot. Class changes are one of those things that very few MMO's allow since they are usually PERMANENT choices, even if they share a common story line.

I wanted to talk about something. I think Bioware actually caused this problem. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION.

Ok. I am guessing, just a guess mind you, that the SWG team had some effect on how this worked. Here is why I think that is the case.

This can be looked at as a hybrid of both the WoW (or any game that uses a similar system) and the SWG leveling system.

In SWG you would choose to level up a particular skill (there were no character levels) by using certain weapons (or no weapon) and that skill would slowly build until it unlocked the next stage.

Lets take Marksman for example. You could choose just one set of skills, and then choose another base, like artisan or entertainer, or you could continue to fill all the other skills until you reached Master Marksman....at which point you have a choice of certain specific roles or classes. In order to unlock Commando as a choice you had to have one branch of unarmed (Brawler) filled and all four Marksman branches filled.

At that point you could choose Commando and level it.

In WoW you are forced to choose a spec. There is no advanced class. You level a class, then choose a spec. You can dual spec, you can respec, but you are forced to choose one spec. You have a class, you have a spec. Period.

In this game it is a prerequisite to choose and level Trooper to 10 in order to unlock either Commando or Vanguard. You can not, under any circumstances, choose or play as a Commando or Vanguard unless you choose and level Trooper first.

So you are in essence, arguably changing your class from a Trooper to a Commando or Vanguard.

Now, in SWG you would become your new class...it is how you would be listed, how folks would see you...it was your class. You were not listed as a Marksman or Brawler (though you could choose that title if you wished). You were a Commando.

In this game your still a Trooper. And your a Commando. Your both. And neither. It is confusing. People still see you as a Trooper....your still listed on your login screen as a Trooper....you still use Trooper skills, you still get called a Trooper in your storyline, you still use Trooper gear...but your not a Trooper. Confusing. Not as meaningful as it should be IMO.

Not to mention the fact that it means you are essentially two classes and a spec. Silly IMO.

Here is where the mistake, IMO, becomes apparent. If you were listed as a Commando, called a Commando, if your gear said Commando...then you would feel like the choice meant something. Right now it seems it's just a gate to get some neat specials and play a role...

It's not as meaningful as it should be.

IMO if they want the choice to have REAL meaning they should force the choice at 10 and you should become that class...you should not longer be referred to in any way as your prior class. You TRANSFORM into the new class.

No more Trooper abilities. No more reference to Trooper. You cannot wear Trooper gear any longer. You are NOT a trooper any more.

The way it is now it is no surprise that some players find the choice less meaningful. It is due to the way it was designed.

Trooper/Commando/Gunnery. Silly.

Hence our problem.

Edited by LordArtemis

Simple it prevents old players from starting new characters which prevents veterans from helping new recruits into the game along with getting a basic understnading of there new class. Not to mention every new player that joins needs to see a live and vibrint world with players and first impressions are key to success. It would hurt the game more than your self entitled mind would think.

insulting me doesn't make your opinions sound any better

how does it prevent old players from starting new characters? changing ac doesn't stop you from creating a new character, especially now that we can have up to 22 per server?

I've met plenty of people in pugs, who managed to get to lvl 50 and now 55 with very little understanding of how their class/advanced class/ spec actually works - up to and including using wrong primary stats and wrong armor type. those people come in 2 flavors - those willing to learn and those unwilling. you can restrict people unwilling to learn as much as you'd like and it won't make them into better players. those willing to learn will not be daunted by an option to switch their AC. and veterans can help them along with it.

AC switch is for people who are done with leveling game. those people are not leveling now, and they most likely won't be leveling in a future (unless new classes and stories are introduced that they might be curious about). restricting AC from being changed will not get more people to level. but it might rejuvenate the endgame, by allowing people to bring out old character out of retirement and enjoy them again.

people who enjoy replaying the stories, will continue to replay the stories. new players will start new characters. with or without AC change available.

so. do you have any reasons that are logical, rather than your personal opinions?

I added it as option 5. Let me know if it looks right to you.

looks good, thank you. this is not my personally preferred option (I like your option 3 best), merely a possible compromise, addressing FOTM concerns.

Edited by Jeweledleah

So, by your definition story defines whether a player should be able to change class?

That works out great for those playing guild wars 2. Take my son and his friend. They both play charrs, they both made the almost the same selections at character creation. The sole difference is that they chose different professions. Their story lines are EXACTLY THE SAME, they have had the same choices, etc. Since their story lines are the same, then they should be able to change classes, right?

Oh, I forgot. Class changes are one of those things that very few MMO's allow since they are usually PERMANENT choices, even if they share a common story line.

the way guild wars 2 does it is irrelevant. guild wars 2 is not TOR. they have a different dynamic. address TOR and specifically TOR when making your argument.

...we can have up to 22 per server?

Oh, wait...by buying slots, right?

indeed.

I currently have 20 unlocked... just in case :p mainly because on my server they consistently show up on GTN for about 100k credits, give or take, so it was cheap enough to go with "why not" option.

Edited by Jeweledleah

indeed.

I currently have 20 unlocked... just in case :p mainly because on my server they consistently show up on GTN for about 100k credits, give or take, so it was cheap enough to go with "why not" option.

I got to say I really dig the market and the fact I can buy most of what I want on the GTN.

I've still purchased my fair share of coins. Figured I spent 15 bucks on the box when it was on sale, so in the end I paid about as much as I would have payed at full price. A fair deal, and a bunch of cool loot in the process.

Do you see this guys? Jeweledleah and I do not agree on many points when it comes to this issue, but we can discuss it and respect each others opinions without attacking each other like rabid dogs.

It's called self respect folks.

Edited by LordArtemis

Hi, I PAY to play this game. I paid over $100 for the CE. I've paid for my subscription every single month. I'm the customer. I AM ENTITLED to a "live and vibrant world" because I am a paying customer. It's not MY JOB to create this scenario it's EA's. It's EA's because that's what I'm paying them for.

If they don't do their jobs and give me what I'M ENTITLED TO as a paying customer then everyone will quit and there will be no game. SOURCE: Every single MMO except WoW.

Hi, I PAY to play this game. I paid over $100 for the CE. I've paid for my subscription every single month. I'm the customer. I AM ENTITLED to a "live and vibrant world" because I am a paying customer. It's not MY JOB to create this scenario it's EA's. It's EA's because that's what I'm paying them for.

If they don't do their jobs and give me what I'M ENTITLED TO as a paying customer then everyone will quit and there will be no game. SOURCE: Every single MMO except WoW.

So you believe you are entitled to AC swaps. I too paid for a CE. I too paid my sub every single month. I however do not believe we are entitled to AC swaps. Now where does that leave us. Will only half the people leave the game if you don't get what you feel you are entitled to because I don't feel you are entitled to it?

Edited by Revenaught

You are not entitled to anything beyond accessing game servers to use the product "as it is". It says so in that little piece of text known as EULA you probably skipped. That is all you pay for.

As a owner of CE, you are "entitled" to access special vendor in game, and to have each character equipped with some vanity stuff from the start.

So you believe you are entitled to AC swaps. I too paid for a CE. I too paid my sub every single month. I however do not believe we are entitled to AC swaps. Now where does that leave us. Will only half the people leave the game if you don't get what you feel you are entitled to because I don't feel you are entitled to it?

intelligent players know that ACs are your class... whiny little piles of crap wh never worked or earned anything in their life want everything handed to them for nothing... thats why posts like this always come up.

Give them AC swaps then they will want base class swaps, then they will want nightmare gear for just logging in. They do not want to earn anything they want to be handed everything

intelligent players know that ACs are your class... whiny little piles of crap wh never worked or earned anything in their life want everything handed to them for nothing... thats why posts like this always come up.

Give them AC swaps then they will want base class swaps, then they will want nightmare gear for just logging in. They do not want to earn anything they want to be handed everything

You hit this right on the money. This is not even a topic really and should never be and you get plenty of warning in game on class (AC) choice, in voice over and text format from NPC. There is enough out on every class so making a mistake on class (AC) choice is a idiot's argument.

Edited by Asturias

Intelligent players know that AC's are nothing more than an arbitrary division between sets of spec's and not actually different classes.

Having 13 characters on two servers, I've earned everything I've done and yet I'd still like the option of trying out the "other specs" on my main character.

Class change shouldn't be considered because there are large differences between classes, but the differences between AC's are no different than those between spec's within an AC.

Since your posts have devolved into little more than name calling and have not once shown any sort of coherent argument against AC changes it proves to me that there really is no valid reason why AC changes shouldn't be implemented.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't be implemented without restriction as I fully believe that AC swapping should require as much effort as it does to unlock races for classes that do not allow those races at start, i.e. leveling up of the AC on another character. Since classes and AC's are mirrored, it wouldn't matter which faction was leveled up, only that the AC was "unlocked". The alternative is to offer it on the CM as an unlock much as the races are but I don't really like that idea all that much.

Constant leveling isn't fun, but variety is. I've healed with my commando main, I've dps'd, and I've made the effort to fully gear both sets of gear but I'd be interested in trying out commando tanking but have no interest in leveling up another commando just to do so. I have an imperial BH who could, but he exists only because I wanted to go through all of the story arcs and my guildies are republic so I can't tank with him unless I want to go pugging. I hate pugging.

It has nothing to do with lazy, or entitlement or whatever other insults you wish to throw because you have no other valid arguments. It has everything with wanting to do something new without the tediousness of rehashing old story lines and grinding out yet one more character to do so.

Intelligent players know that AC's are nothing more than an arbitrary division between sets of spec's and not actually different classes.

that is the definition of different classes. They are 100% different play styles and talent specs... That is what defines different classes in all MMOs of this style.

What is teh difference in a DK and warrior in wow???? playstyle and talent specs...

Edited by Hizoka

that is the definition of different classes. They are 100% different play styles and talent specs... That is what defines different classes in all MMOs of this style.

No.

In WoW, the three Warlock spec's are entirely different play styles in one class. In SWTOR, the AC's are nothing more than arbitrary dividers. Within Commando, Combat Medic, Gunnery and Assault Specialist are 3 different play styles within one division, while the other division has Tactics, Shield Specialist and Assault Specialist with 3 different play styles.

Each spec is a different play style in every single AC. Under your reasoning, each spec should be a different class.