Stunbreak abilities cooldown being reset on death in 2.2

Lionflash

Taken from this Dev Post.

" Also, for those who are curious about the next updates to PvP, I will just say… apart from minor tweaks

(like stunbreak abilities cooldown being reset on death in 2.2) you should look forward to Game Update 2.4. /rubshands "

...whaddup.

Edited by Lionflash

Taken from this Dev Post.

" Also, for those who are curious about the next updates to PvP, I will just say… apart from minor tweaks

(like stunbreak abilities cooldown being reset on death in 2.2) you should look forward to Game Update 2.4. /rubshands "

Good lord.. that's grim news.

Expect the "train-of-death to protect-node" kamikaze fools.

Next, the same fools will be asking to reset all CDs upon death, too.

Am I the only one who thinks this is good?

I mean really... prior to this we have threads complaining about too many stuns in the game, and 1 cc breaker on a long cooldown. Now we have complaints about cc breaker being reset on cooldown.

This forum cracks me up sometimes...

I mean really... prior to this we have threads complaining about too many stuns in the game, and 1 cc breaker on a long cooldown. Now we have complaints about cc breaker being reset on cooldown.

It sounds good at first but I think when it's implemented you'll probably change your mind. Especially if you play on a competitive rated team.

It sounds good at first but I think when it's implemented you'll probably change your mind. Especially if you play on a competitive rated team.

But then, the *good* rated teams will adapt their strategies, right? In the meantime, pugging it every night for an hour or so should be much more enjoyable.

But then, the *good* rated teams will adapt their strategies, right? In the meantime, pugging it every night for an hour or so should be much more enjoyable.

it will be almost impossible to cap anything with this change.

this is a balance change designed to make the game easier and more "low skill friendly". balancing a game around the lowest level of play has been this dev teams patterns. which leads me to believe the devs are terrible, keyboard turning clickers.

This change just means you should CC break on the first full stun you take now, if not even earlier because there's no point to save it for anything unless you plan on never dying. And when you get to that point you might as well just give player the same buff some elites have that makes them immune to the first incapaciating effect you use on them.

it will be almost impossible to cap anything with this change.

this is a balance change designed to make the game easier and more "low skill friendly". balancing a game around the lowest level of play has been this dev teams patterns. which leads me to believe the devs are terrible, keyboard turning clickers.

I don't think it was an accident that these are the default settings... :D

Only bads that chaindie would think that's good....

This change just means you should CC break on the first full stun you take now, if not even earlier because there's no point to save it for anything unless you plan on never dying. And when you get to that point you might as well just give player the same buff some elites have that makes them immune to the first incapaciating effect you use on them.

On this issue, we agree.

Before, when you were in a dicey-looking situation facing possible enemy CCs, you were pushed into a subtle process of decision making where you would have to decide to whether use it at your first opportunity, but risk repercussions that may last even through the next battle -- or -- use your CC breaker sparingly and carefully, hence your first engagement you will try to do everything you can to survive it without using it... and then use your CC breaker as your ace-in-the-hole.

This required tactical thinking and lots of experience, and it certainly was one of the more gratifying moments when at some point, you'd realize you've become adept in PvP and you notice your decisions are becoming more and more accurate and precise.

Now? Bah. Just use it the first time, die on the spot, respawn and then keep on fighting, use it again, and rinse and repeat. Even when you know the enemy node defender foolishly wasted his CC-breaker and got killed for that bad judgement, he'll just respawn, and you'll have no way to CC him and capture the node for victory.

It just promotes/rewards stupid and incompetent people, at the expense of people who've practiced hard and gained much experience over the months/years to learn how to use the CC-breaker at the correct moment.

:mad:

Only bads that chaindie would think that's good....

Saving CC break is likely neutral anyway because a lot of time saving the CC break really just means you die with it still available. Since all your minor CDs will definitely reset by the time you come back from respawn, it's very rare to have a case where you use your CC break, died, and then somehow lose something strategically important due to not having your CC break up (but still having your minor CDs). That said there's something satisfying to know that you have your CC break up for that flash bang or they would definitely have capped the node even if it means you took an extra death unnecessarily earlier. If you never die this wouldn't impact you anyway because you still only have one CC break to use until you die.

What this change does is make quantity strictly better than quality as breaking out of a 4s stun multiple times will easily outweight any skillful usage of CC break (but less times) if you're expected to die say 7 times in a WZ, as you'd be looking at 7 CC breaks versus about 2-3 if you tried to look for the best time to use them.

On its face, I think the change is good.

However, I know the players in this community too well, and unfortunately, it's just going to be abused to high heaven.

It's good in the sense there would be less stunlocks, but if stunlocks are a problem why not just nerf the stuns? CC break is really most useful to defend against abilities like Intimidating Roar/Flash Bang because they're almost encountered when an enemy is attempting to capture an objective without enough firepower to overwhelm you completely, and I think these attacks have reasonable limitations and workarounds (range issues mostly) and the current meta game around them is fine.

Even when you know the enemy node defender foolishly wasted his CC-breaker and got killed for that bad judgement, he'll just respawn, and you'll have no way to CC him and capture the node for victory.

Seriously why ??

On Civil war you have plenty of time between the moment he dies and the moment he arrives to cap.

On Void Star, Noavre coast, Hypergate you have the doors that take time to open, how is that game breaking ???

Allow me to play Devil's Advocate here... They only mentioned the Stunbreaker reset as an anecdote. It's possible there is more to it than we think.

What should/could/will they do to compensate for this?

Increase the duration of the wall on the defenders door? That would stop defenders from /stuck -ing when the 'coast is clear' on their side of the door to quickly refresh their Stunbreaker.

Someone also mentioned slowing down the speeder bikes on Alderaan.

There might be more tweaks, but the Stunbreaker reset was just 1 of them.

Allow me to play Devil's Advocate here... They only mentioned the Stunbreaker reset as an anecdote. It's possible there is more to it than we think.

Increase the duration of the wall on the defenders door? That would stop defenders from /stuck -ing when the 'coast is clear' on their side of the door to quickly refresh their Stunbreaker.

You put too much faith in this company. Likely this is going to be the only thing they change.

I really hope you're right and they do compensate for this. Any mechanic that incentives death over survival is stupid- they would have to increase the death penalty timer on all the maps besides hypergates for this not to be game-breaking for ranked.

It's good in the sense there would be less stunlocks, but if stunlocks are a problem why not just nerf the stuns? .

Do you even have to ask?

Just look in any thread where a recent nerf is discussed. It's full of DON'T NERF X INSTEAD YOU SHOULD BUFF Y !!! :D

Seriously why ??

On Civil war you have plenty of time between the moment he dies and the moment he arrives to cap.

On Void Star, Noavre coast, Hypergate you have the doors that take time to open, how is that game breaking ???

He's not talking about the guy who you just killed coming back to stop the cap. What he means is that in general if you waste your stun breaker, due to its relatively long CD you're likely to get caught in a situation where it is no longer up at a crucial moment, like when someone has a 3 second lead on capping a node and you just saw a Flash Bang coming your way. There's no way to get out of that aside from CC breaker and if yours was down because you used it a minute ago, then you're screwed. Since dying is a relatively common event (and if not this change actually has no effect) this means now you don't get punished as harshly for using your CC breaker at the wrong times, because you can usually count on dying to happen in a WZ anyway.

Edited by Astarica