Now that Roleplay has become a dirty word...

Suilebhain

A detailed map and figures aren't needed in table top RPing either

Thanks for strengthening my point.

but they sure do help to set the scene and to draw the players into the game.

Those things are for logistics and mechanics (how many hexes away can my fireball reach, how many hexes can my character move in a combat round, etc.). In an MMO, the game's mechanics take care of all that.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for strengthening my point.

Those things are for logistics and mechanics (how many hexes away can my fireball reach, how many hexes can my character move in a combat round, etc.). In an MMO, the game's mechanics take care of all that.

So what is it you are saying? Using any tool to improve the experience is a waste? Or are you just being contrary because you think it makes you look cool?

It's 2013. PC's do a lot more than just crunch numbers. It is foolish not to use the assets of any available tool to enhance the experience. Pen and paper? Dice? Who needs that new-fangled junk? That's for suckers, real RPers just use their brains!

How hard is it to actually enforce naming requirements? You can use a very loose standard and still net all the ridiculous characters. The reality is EAware just slapped RP onto some of the servers and then never thought about them again.

It's more that they slapped RP onto some of the servers to serve as a guide for RP minded players to direct them towards like minded individuals.

RP is, was, and always will be community based, it does not function well any other way. Every MMO, I have ever played it has been the same, the RP Community is what makes a server an RP server not the developers.

So what is it you are saying? Using any tool to improve the experience is a waste?

It's a waste of development resources. If such tools are in the game, there's certainly no reason to take them out.

Or are you just being contrary because you think it makes you look cool?

No, I'll leave that to you.

It's 2013. PC's do a lot more than just crunch numbers. It is foolish not to use the assets of any available tool to enhance the experience. Pen and paper? Dice? Who needs that new-fangled junk? That's for suckers, real RPers just use their brains!

And if we all had eidetic memory, that would be great.

"Roleplaying" is prevalent in game and even on the forums. It just isn't the positive and creative collaborative story-telling kind that people would like to be part of.

Greifing is a form of roleplay. Unfortunately there isn't any consent and participants have limited recourse when they are "invited" to play along. I think I might enjoy being a jedi, sith lord or any number of characters in the star wars universe. What better place to have such an experience than this?

Griefers roleplay assertive personalities (poorly like a caricature from a power fantasy) because they don't get to wear the pants in RL. Who's the sad little "nerd":rolleyes:?

Edited by horridperson

RP is what you make of it. A good RPer does not need anything beyond his or her imagination. How else would people RP in text-only environments? A game which caters to the "lowest common RP denominator" would be one that gives the players every conceivable tool, emote, gesture, sound effect, etc., under the sun. What you're asking for is Star Wars Second Life, not RP.

This argument falls flat when the game itself pulls you out of the moment. And your excuse of saying giving the players the tools to use is catering to the lowest common denominator, well that demonstrates you are an RP newbie actually, not an old school RPer. You probably the type that lets the dice do the talking for you if you ever actually played a table top game.