Are there any plans in the long term to upgrade or optimise the SWTOR Engine?

Tharka

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't post often, but any comment on this subject would be great. The optimization of this game is the only complaint I have with it.

I guess I don't have a complaint with it as such, I like the game and I love playing it but I just wonder what the Dev's plans are in relation to this.

I think it would generate a lot of confidence in the evolution of the game. As it exists at the moment, I like it but for new features, game play etc and of course modernisation over the years it would have to be updated.

Which is why I would love to get some kind of BW response on the subject.

I too am curious about this. Every time something is added, I worry there will be some cost to performance that will stack over time. It's already quite challenging to get this game to run consistently.

I too am curious about this. Every time something is added, I worry there will be some cost to performance that will stack over time. It's already quite challenging to get this game to run consistently.

I guess it could be done through expansions, kinda like how Outland uses a slighty different, modified engine in The Burning Crusade to allow flying mounts etc... The the full modifications came to the whole game in Cataclysm along with other improvements.

Anyway in relation to SW:TOR I would be interested to know what the Dev's would like to improve first? If anything of course and what would have to be improved to implement particular features.

i.e. to give players feature A we need to implement fix B, C and D which is in progress

Bumping for importance.

The situation is much improved since launch, but its still underwhelming. The game still doesn't perform as well as it should in high population areas, and the general performance of makeb even on modern systems is unacceptable.

Bumping for importance.

The situation is much improved since launch, but its still underwhelming. The game still doesn't perform as well as it should in high population areas, and the general performance of makeb even on modern systems is unacceptable.

Exactly.

And I just read this thread

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=642216

Even more reason we should have this answered. With open PvP proving too much for the engine to handle in it's current condition are there plans to improve the engine so it can handle Ilum PvP again?

We need to know BioWare! Please :)

Exactly.

And I just read this thread

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=642216

Even more reason we should have this answered. With open PvP proving too much for the engine to handle in it's current condition are there plans to improve the engine so it can handle Ilum PvP again?

We need to know BioWare! Please :)

Yeah, better optimization would keep people around longer, and make them more long term, but they seem to be more obsessed with the short term. But, optimizing wouldn't give them the instant gratification like milking us. Probably quicker and cheaper to recolor humans some more and sell them. :)That, and as other people said, the game was already built on a mess of an engine (or, whatever there actually was of an engine when they bought it). Hell, the people that worked on it were probably the same ones laid off about this time last year.

Edited by Katsuragisama

Some patches ago they improved the performance already.

They fixed that massive memory usage of the game.

However, with 2.1 the performance decreased again. Terminals at the fleet are loading forever.

Dunno what the patch broke again. :mad:

If you mean the patch that made shadows look nicer, it actually made them worse and made many turn them off as it was very bad on fps.

Yea this would be so nice, probably something much more important than a Cartel Market patch.

Some optimization would really kick things up at this point. I have managed to bring two of my friends at the game and they all complained from low fps, engine issues during lowbie pvp and left the game fearing it will get worse during operations and such.

Not to mention with a good engine there may be hope for open world PvP. A lot of things can be implemented but this is the only obstacle you are facing. Content you give us deserves a better engine Bioware.

All the best.

Won't happen, optimizing and/or rewriting the engine wont generate revenue, so its against the ea cash grab doctrine...

On release of SWTOR a Dx11 version was 'considered' (proof here http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,767634/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Bioware-considering-Direct-X-11-in-the-future/News/ some stuff in that interview is also not true, like multicore stuff and support for a broad space of hw configs), but after the massive fail, not a single word about it ... (btw a dx11 version would not help with the poor performance, the root of problem is a poor core design).

Such silly reasoning. There is no point in the cash shop if the rest of the game isn't improved. Improvements to the core game get more people playing which means more sales in cash shop, so there is in fact a good reason to improving it.

Bioware are constantly upgrading, updating and optimising the game engine. Remember this is pretty much an Engine Bioware built themselves. They took a beta version of the Hero Engine and made it there own. I can only imagine how difficult job they had. But this is very much their own engine and I can assure you they always have people working on it to make it better.

Bioware are constantly upgrading, updating and optimising the game engine. Remember this is pretty much an Engine Bioware built themselves. They took a beta version of the Hero Engine and made it there own. I can only imagine how difficult job they had. But this is very much their own engine and I can assure you they always have people working on it to make it better.

Can you really assure of that? I mean, you dont actually know, you're just regurgitating what BW posts in all of their videos.

I'm sure they make optimizations, but in reality can you really say the game is running THAT much better now than a year ago?

If anything, my random disconnects and crashes are worse, the fleet is laggier than ever, and after an entire year, 16-man raids are still choppy and the engine can barely handle walking around the Gree Event without massive ability delay.

You really can't "assure" us anything unless you're doing it yourself, and I think a lot of us stuck by BW because we trusted they'd get a handle on all these issues. So far they havent., and its adding to a whole lot of straw on the camel's back.

Can you really assure of that? I mean, you dont actually know, you're just regurgitating what BW posts in all of their videos.

I'm sure they make optimizations, but in reality can you really say the game is running THAT much better now than a year ago?

If anything, my random disconnects and crashes are worse, the fleet is laggier than ever, and after an entire year, 16-man raids are still choppy and the engine can barely handle walking around the Gree Event without massive ability delay.

You really can't "assure" us anything unless you're doing it yourself, and I think a lot of us stuck by BW because we trusted they'd get a handle on all these issues. So far they havent., and its adding to a whole lot of straw on the camel's back.

Indeed it has gotten a lot better since launch. I was there and the fleet is a lot smoother. However, I believe that is not the case for all and I can only write from my experiences. Its really down to whether or not you want to take Bioware's word on it. I'm happy to believe they are working on the engine and game optimization. Why? Because the people who are working on the game said they are. I personally choose to believe them, than people on a forum who have no idea what the development is like behind the scenes.

Whether that's good enough for people... well that's entirely up to them.

Indeed it has gotten a lot better since launch. I was there and the fleet is a lot smoother. However, I believe that is not the case for all and I can only write from my experiences. Its really down to whether or not you want to take Bioware's word on it. I'm happy to believe they are working on the engine and game optimization. Why? Because the people who are working on the game said they are. I personally choose to believe them, than people on a forum who have no idea what the development is like behind the scenes.

Whether that's good enough for people... well that's entirely up to them.

It certainly hasn't gotten better for me. 16 man raids are still bad as ever, ability delay has gotten worse in 2.0, not to mention that some parts on Makeb are absolutely horrendous. The fleet is just as laggy as it has always been, not to mention that 2.0 introduced the delay in terminal spawn.

I'm sorry, but your "belief" at this point borders on fundamentalism.

Some patches ago they improved the performance already.

They fixed that massive memory usage of the game.

However, with 2.1 the performance decreased again. Terminals at the fleet are loading forever.

Dunno what the patch broke again. :mad:

LoL. It appeared that they fixed something a little bit but soon it was back :)

Well im kind of sure that even dx 11 when used correctly would increse the performance for most systems since it gives not only new graphics features but most importantly better use of whole system hardware

Not necessarily, it reduces the work of the driver, if the driver is not the bottleneck, then it changes nothing.

Yea this would be so nice, probably something much more important than a Cartel Market patch.

Some optimization would really kick things up at this point. I have managed to bring two of my friends at the game and they all complained from low fps, engine issues during lowbie pvp and left the game fearing it will get worse during operations and such.

Not to mention with a good engine there may be hope for open world PvP. A lot of things can be implemented but this is the only obstacle you are facing. Content you give us deserves a better engine Bioware.

All the best.

Very much this.

There are still big issues with crashing, like th end of the Esseles FP. This badly needs to be addressed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.