I read up about the Cathar on wookiepedia

cool-dude

I'm not a comic or book buff regarding Star Wars, but when it comes to role-playing games, staying within Lore is important to me for immersion. The Mandalorians, who at the time, were allied with the Empire, destroyed the Cathar home-world. As a result, the Cathar have a deep seated hatred towards anything Empire or Mandalorian. As for Cathar being in the Empire, the imperials typically do not like taking Cathar, alive, even as slaves, because they are too aggressive and headstrong; cannot be broken easily at all. In most cases, the imperials will put down Cathar whenever they come across them, because they consider the Cathar to be nothing but wild uncontrollable animals

What are your thoughts on Cathar being in the Empire? Doesn't feel like Bioware development team cares about Lore at all. You'd think that people who do this stuff for a living, would have a passion for it.

Edited by cool-dude

Two things.

1.) there is a thread identicle to this in the same forum.

2.) BioWare answered this. I'm paraphrasing but, in desperate times, a people will do what they must, even allying with the "enemy" just to survive. Though the Empire is prejudicial, they respect power more. If a Cathar is able to become a high rankin Imperial Officer, more respect to them.

I'm not a comic or book buff regarding Star Wars, but when it comes to role-playing games, staying within Lore is important to me for immersion. The Mandalorians, who at the time, were allied with the Empire, destroyed the Cathar home-world. As a result, the Cathar have a deep seated hatred towards anything Empire or Mandalorian. As for Cathar being in the Empire, the imperials typically do not like taking Cathar, alive, even as slaves, because they are too aggressive and headstrong; cannot be broken easily at all. In most cases, the imperials will put down Cathar whenever they come across them, because they consider the Cathar to be nothing but wild uncontrollable animals

What are your thoughts on Cathar being in the Empire? Doesn't feel like Bioware development team cares about Lore at all. You'd think that people who do this stuff for a living, would have a passion for it.

same reason the miralukas in the empire

in kotor 2 you learn that a sith lord simply destroyed a whole miraluka colony, so obviously miralukas would hate the empire as well. it's not a homworld, but a planet nonetheless

and there is a mission where you rescue a cathar prince who is loyal to the empire, so bioware did nothing wrong. it's very logical to cathar join the empire.

Edited by MalthazarCeres

same reason the miralukas in the empire

in kotor 2 you learn that a sith lord simply destroyed a whole miraluka colony, so obviously miralukas would hate the empire as well. it's not a homworld, but a planet nonetheless

and there is a mission where you rescue a cathar prince who is loyal to the empire, so bioware did nothing wrong. it's very logical to cathar join the empire.

Yeah, but that rescue is chapter 2. You start out in Chapter 1, where you haven't gotten to that point yet. :p

Miraluka however can easily fit into the SI storyline.

the planet was destroied over 300 years ago.

i mean seriously,would the italians hate the spanish now just because spain had control of a good chunk of italy centuries ago?

Edited by _biddan_

All far more easily explainable than Chiss even being playable in The Old Republic.

In other words, lore is made to be tinkered with.

the planet was destroied over 300 years ago.

i mean seriously,would the italians hate the spanish now just because spain had control of a good chunk of italy centuries ago?

Don't we have that problem going on in the world now in other parts of the world though? :p

Here you go, Hall Hood wrote a little about it.

As sometimes happens in oppressed and victimized societies, sub-cultures arise that rebel against prevailing sentiment and embrace what their fellow citizens hate. Over the past few decades, small sects of Cathar have become Imperial sympathizers, even going so far as to serve among the Sith and Mandalorians. The Cathar in Imperial space are regarded as traitorous extremists by Republic-aligned Cathar, but that hasn’t stopped thousands of these radicals from seeking their fortunes with the Cathar people’s former enemies.

ok first of all.. the mandalorians where at the time NOT allied with the empire.

secondly that was 300 years. a LOT can change in 300 years (300 years ago the french and british despised one another with the hatred of a thousand disgruntled fanboys. now they're pretty friendly with each other)

the cathar where spread across the galaxy and chances are a lot of them assimilated.