Server Transfers, 11 Months Later...

Icebergy

It is and it isn't. Someone was just trying to say that in other games, people have no motivation to want to transfer more than one alt, and that simply isn't true. As someone that rolled a whole new character and leveled it on another server, I know I would have liked to be able to take a lot more with me. Actual legacy levels are probably the least important thing, though. My main server has legacy level 50, my secondary is around 21, I don't really find myself lamenting for legacy levels so much as I lament not being able to earn any more on the maxed ones. People with a lot of high level alts probably are maxed or close to maxed, so it probably won't be an issue.

Well unfortunately for some people -like me- who haven't maxed out their legacy. It's still a legitimate concern.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also like to say that over a year ago I came over from wow there was A bigger sever group list to play on then they open the the over sea's sever and my guild i was in was cut in to 50% then the Asian server and was like to see more then 3 players online then they cut the US/ Canadian sever to what we have to day then just not to long ago the dropped the safe zone time to move. I just like to see what they say bot now there are again cutting severs from the game. I am hoping to move 2 toons of a sever some time if they CC move comes in make things a bite better having two I rolled out to play with friends who just stop playing this game cause of the lack of Love. To have long q to get into pvp to have a slow load up then come out of the loading to be right back to the q in point cause of the times slow loading in. Be nice to have my all 8 50+ all in sever.:)

This is very disappointing.. I've been waiting to join my one char on a US server with my EU server ones. Could you elaborate as to what "other restrictions" there are? Because this just seems like a senseless limitation to me, and I can see no logical reason for this.

^ This

I got answers to two of the questions that I saw a bit about:

Can you transfer across region, like EU to NA?

As of the current plan, no. However, I want to state that this is absolutely something we want to do and as you saw with APAC it isn't a tech limitation. There are some other restrictions we are working through and we hope to have the ability to transfer across region moving forward. I will give you updates on this as I have it.

Hope that clears things up.

-eric

And here I thought without a doubt that after the APAC transfer I surely can transfer some of my EU characters to the Harbinger. Guess not. So very disappointing!

Come on now, you can transfer toons from apac to na and eu servers with no difficulty and all of a sudden there are "technical difficulties" with transferring from eu to na and vice versa?

Smells bad to me.

Come on now, you can transfer toons from apac to na and eu servers with no difficulty and all of a sudden there are "technical difficulties" with transferring from eu to na and vice versa?

Smells bad to me.

I guess you missed the part where he specifically said that the problem aren't technical issues.... .

Having 15+ characters... I consider never ever changing from my current server.... like... ever. :o

As of the current plan, no. However, I want to state that this is absolutely something we want to do and as you saw with APAC it isn't a tech limitation.

Hmm...

I don't see is a huge demand for EU <-> US transfers. Therefore I don't see why you would want to restrict the choice. It would be interesting to hear your reasoning. Don't get me wrong... I'm sure there will BE demand, especially from the sort of people who hang around on the forums. But the generic player? Not so much.

I can imagine two things that you might be worried about...

• Something financial.
  • Something related to server population imbalance.

Something financial.

1800 ccoins is 1800 ccoins everywhere surely. I know the price (relative to USD / EUR / GBP exchange rates) isn't quite the same everywhere... But surely to abuse the difference between the exchange rates... wouldn't someone actually have to PAY to get onto the "other" region to take advantage?

ofc, the exception could be the APAC customers unhappy with their initial free transfer. Maybe a concern they'll choose an initial free transfer to one region with the expectation of a cheaper paid transfer somewhere else later?

There's a huge opportunity here win over the hearts and minds of players verses looking like penny pinching misers. Short term thinking tends to hurt long term goals. ofc, if any of that is a factor.

Maybe something to do with legacy unlocks? Transfering a level 1 character cross server to unlock a lot of legacy stuff that would normally cost more than 1800 ccoins? But surely that's also true for inter-region transfers?

Something related to server population imbalance.

Firstly, I would point out that only the US region still has the option for players to transfer to the same playstyle & same language servers. There are a total of 9 servers in Europe, one for each combination of RP/PVE/PVP and English/French/German. Therefore anyone in the EU wanting to pay to transfer is either going to be changing in order to swap from PVP <-> PVE -> RP or to swap language. I am therefore assuming there will be limited movement to move to a "bigger population" or away from a shrinking population, since doing so would mean swapping to a server style or language (I presume) that player wouldn't initially WANT to play on.

ofc, there is going to lots of scope for players who want more PvP to move to the known PvP strongholds.

US players retain the option to transfer from PvE to PvE for example, purely to find a bigger community. Especially where friends have ended up on the "wrong" server as a result of the various server mergers along the way. And this is the only large market of paid transfers I'm expecting.

But if a potential consolidation of people onto an couple US servers isn't restricted, why worry about a potential EU <-> US move?

The only thing I can think of is that Bioware are concerned about falling server populations again either in Europe or in the USA and that when people notice their server population dropping, they'll pay for a cross region transfer and so make the situation worse. Resulting in a short term boost to finances, but ultimately a long term loss of subscriptions. But wouldn't that also be a danger with purely US <-> US transfers?

The thing I would say is that such behaviour would be a symptom, not a cause of concern. Restricting cross region transfers might delay the flood - but you need to focus on the underlying issues, not the server transfers. Server transfers might put a spotlight on any potential problems, but removing the spotlight doesn't actually fix anything.

And ofc, it could be something else entirely. But since you've ruled out technically restrictions... I'm at a loss to figure out what else it might be.

Overall. I would say add paid cross region transfers. Because... Why not?

As an aside, I would add my name to the group of people who think 1800 ccoins is too much. Yes, it's cheaper than other MMO's - but just because other MMO's overcharge for the service - doesn't mean BW have to too. Plus BW's approach to game design meant a push towards alts too. Players shouldn't be financially penalised for embracing that philosophy.

tbh, given the small scope for potential transfers (and therefore I presume a limited amount of income), I think BW could have earned huge brownie points for relatively little lost revenue by making all transfers free. But then, I try to think what's best for the customer first and what's good for the accountants last. I've always assumed exceeding players expectations rather than chipping away at their patience will be rewarded long term, financially.

This line intentionally left blank

Edited by Woetoo

I got answers to two of the questions that I saw a bit about:

Can you transfer across server type, such as PvP to PvE?

Yes you can!

As of the current plan, no. However, I want to state that this is absolutely something we want to do and as you saw with APAC it isn't a tech limitation. There are some other restrictions we are working through and we hope to have the ability to transfer across region moving forward. I will give you updates on this as I have it.

Hope that clears things up.

-eric

Eric,

Have a question for you from a friend of mine. He had two accounts but only plays one but has one character on his other account he would like to transfer will he be able to do that. He would much prefer not to begin again with that since it is level 50 and max on all the crafting. Can he transfer his one toon to his other account to the server he plays on?

Thank you.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

I'm not gonna let this topic get buried. Please, anyone from BW, please justify why you aren't doing EU <-> US transfers. Please.

I would like this so I can transfer my legacy over to the French server Mantel of the Force.

Question about the Legacy name: The level of my legacy on the source server is higher, but I prefer the new legacy name on the destination server. Since the higher level legacy will take precedence, i fear I will end up with the old legacy name I don´t like anymore. Is there any chance to choose the name, or to rename the legacy after the char transfer?

There is a legacy rename option for 1000 CC , also i finally got an answer to all my questions even more information and a possible release date: 2.2 patch (beginning-ending) not sure when it comes tho...) at anyrate this thread gave me alot of good feelings.

Sometimes this community pisses me off. You got exactly what you wanted, granted a little late, and you still complain. Just be happy you have server transfers at all! If it really bothered you so much that your character wasn't on the server you wanted them to be, you would have rerolled. That's what I did, and when server transfers hit, I'm gonna be sitting pretty with 2 more level 50s. Edited by GoldSting

Sometimes this community pisses me off. You got exactly what you wanted, granted a little late, and you still complain. Just be happy you have server transfers at all! If it really bothered you so much that your character wasn't on the server you wanted them to be, you would have rerolled. That's what I did, and when server transfers hit, I'm gonna be sitting pretty with 2 more level 50s.

no we didn't. you don't seem to be paying attention.

they are giving you what you want, so that's great.

Sometimes this community pisses me off. You got exactly what you wanted, granted a little late, and you still complain. Just be happy you have server transfers at all! If it really bothered you so much that your character wasn't on the server you wanted them to be, you would have rerolled. That's what I did, and when server transfers hit, I'm gonna be sitting pretty with 2 more level 50s.

That's the point, we haven't got what we wanted. We WANT to transfer to any server. Since someone from BW has already stated that the inability to do so is NOT a technical issue, it's only fair that they at least justify why they aren't doing it. Hell, there may be an amazing reason why they can't (although I can't imagine what that would be) but they could at least justify it.

The fact I'm on an American server, when I want and should be on an EU one, is because they took forever to consolidate the servers and I got tired playing on a server with 20 people on the fleet (at peak times) which, at the time, was every single EU server. I'm willing to bet that a lot of the people who want the US <-> EU transfer option have similar stories to me.

I'm glad that your situation is peachy-perfect, but it isn't for everyone else and you are not the only person who plays this game. We are entitled to an explanation; I've accepted they won't be doing it yet, but I'd like to at least know why.

Edited by AnAnonymousGuy

That's the point, we haven't got what we wanted. We WANT to transfer to any server. Since someone from BW has already stated that the inability to do so is NOT a technical issue, it's only fair that they at least justify why they aren't doing it. Hell, there may be an amazing reason why they can't (although I can't imagine what that would be) but they could at least justify it.

Exactly.

There are many reasons people want to transfer from EU to NA or vise versa. People move due to work, and the time zone changes make it hard to find people to group with, people may have quit playing that you once played with on another server and now you want a transfer. Not everyone of us has the time to just reroll on another server, we have put alot of work into our characters and should be able to pay the fee to take our characters to any server we choose. Some of the people can't enjoy the new content if they are logged in at opposite time zone with 20 people on fleet. You can't expect someone to just abandon their chaacter and reroll because bioware isn't allowing intercontinental transfers at this time, while APAC servers were able to.

Edited by tonooo

So I've been a paid subscriber to this game since launch and I when I initially heard they were rolling out server transfers I was ecstatic. I initially rolled an East coast US server due to my Overnight work schedule as at the time it made the most sense. Now I have a new job and work 9-5 Mon-Fri. And I was stuck on a US server, granted I have some friends their etc but still, it is not convenient at all.

So I hear about these server transfers and I think : YES. This is what I have been waiting for! Some people tell me that they think BW won't allow NA~EU transfer but I shun the non-believers saying is they can transfer the ENTIRE APAC servers for FREE. Then sure they can do PAID transfers from NA~EU.

Then only a matter of days before the patch you tell me this is not the case, proving all the people who doubted you purely on the belief that you would mess up and not give me an option right. Better yet, you tell me that there is NO technical issue with doing this and provide me NO real reason as to why this is.

I have been a paid subscriber since launch but you are seriously starting to push my buttons now.

-First you screwed up ranked warzones, I mean we have been in "pre-season" for about a year now. I mean cmon. get real. - I dealt with that.

-Then I get pretty much 0 PvP content patch after patch after patch, - I still hold on hoping for new warzones and new balance.

-THEN you utterly utterly screw up bolster to the point where it is completely broken. and STILL I deal with this and play the naked game.

I will continue to play this game but the point I'm making is this to Bioware, don't expect me to put up with much more of this. I love aspects of this game but your complete disregard towards important issues will not wash with me for much longer before I turn to another game.

Please at least give us a REAL reason why you aren't allowing this.

^sorry for the rant people :(

BioWare, I am trying really hard to understand your take on this?

US Servers to Euro Servers

Euro Servers to US Servers

What's the problem, You are already doing this .... So much for being more open (live Stream).

It feels like you have just waved another carrot on a stick, hooking people for just a little longer...

(( Bumping for Answers ))

So I hear about these server transfers and I think : YES. This is what I have been waiting for! Some people tell me that they think BW won't allow NA~EU transfer but I shun the non-believers saying is they can transfer the ENTIRE APAC servers for FREE. Then sure they can do PAID transfers from NA~EU.

Then only a matter of days before the patch you tell me this is not the case, proving all the people who doubted you purely on the belief that you would mess up and not give me an option right. Better yet, you tell me that there is NO technical issue with doing this and provide me NO real reason as to why this is.

the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

may be a bit harsh, but at this point Bioware couldve really learned something about communication with their players and how to avoid screw ups like this with some beforehand thinking.

Edited by FrankyFin

This limitation is ridiculous. I've been waiting for this for like a year. I got all excited knowing it was coming soon for the past month or two, only to find out days before the release that I will not be allowed to transfer toons from EU to NA server. No valid reason given, just a limitation. It makes no sense. I refuse to get excited about anything coming out anymore, I'm always disappointed. It just one head scratcher after another with you guys.