How is Dr. Lokin?

Azzarr

Hey guys, just a question. I'd like to hear your thoughts on Lokin.

Going for my first Agent run and just wanna make it feel as awesome as possible. Currently playing the highly effective, dark Agent who is in favor with Kaliyo with everything she does. Flirting with every man in every port. Kaliyo feels like my long, lost, but weird sister. I'm a Medicine Op. Kaliyo suits me fine and I like her. But as I'm about to leave Alderaan, and my affection with Kaliyo is gonna max soon. So I'm looking forward to new companions. Vector Hyllus doesn't really suit my ****** girl agent, and heard his DPS is quite average, or am I wrong?

So I'm more curious about Lokin despite being a healer as well, heard he's awesome as a companion, both in personality and combat. But never really heard how he is as a DPS? His rakghoul-form. Awesome or not? Please let me hear what you think about him, or any of the other companions?! Thanks and good gaming!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know much about Lokin, as I have mostly been a healer myself, so he wasn't the best fit.

I will say, I think Vector is the best for a healer. I probably played more with Kailyo, I like her ****/*itch personality =9 it's just me. =)

But, don't dismiss Vector so easily.

Many complain about his personality, and dialogues and such. Pesonally, I don't find it too bad.

I have found that melee dps companions might be the best for normal missions, because (a.) they attack fast, and most of their damage is instant. The ranged dps seem to have a lot of channeled or charging abilities, which kind of sucks, since if it's some weak mob that just needs one more whack, seems dumb for the companion to do a 3 second cast ability =)

The tank companions aren't bad either if they are nicely equipped - otherwise they simply don't do any damage and they don't tank very well either. But, if they are well geared, they are easy street. They make for easy life. Just might take a notch longer to kill than say Vector, but even if the dps companions die from time to time, usually you can finish the job, and just res them anyway - no big harm.

In summation, I think it's just about taste. Though, unfortunately, I don't think Lokin is that great for a healer. I think you can disable his healing abilities or something like that, but if you gotta disable some abilities from a companion, then you are already gimping him =/

Oh, almost forgot, most like the ranged dps, because she wears the same gear as the agent, which is naturally a bonus - as that is easier to keep well geared.

Poster above me seems to not know about Lokin's rakhghoul form. Yes, it is good and this form got reworked in 2.0. There are no heals in this form so don't worry about disabling them.

Yeah you are right =)

I had not used Lokin in ages. It used to flip in and out of healing mode - which I didn't like. I was a newbie then. heh

In any event, I bothered to gear up Lokin recently, and Lokin is really bomb for dps characters.

Ignore my previous post.

thanks for reading =)

Lokin's personality - he's imperial loyalist just as Vector, but Lokin is clearly darker according to his affection gains. He doesn't mind some pretty cruel solutions at all. What he doesn't like is cheap demonstrating of power. He's more about practical and clever solutions. He won't like if you say for example "they have no chance, I'm going to burn their base to the ground", but he would like if you ask for some additional info on the situation or something like that.

I used him all the way from Taris until end of Makeb, 99% of time in his human form with very good results. I died maybe two or 3 times during all that solo content. Now I use him in his DPS form for lvl 50 dailies since he's my best geared companion. I can't say if he's good or not though since there's not much of a challenge in that. I've heard he's solid dps from other people though.

Edited by zzoorrzz

Poster above me seems to not know about Lokin's rakhghoul form. Yes, it is good and this form got reworked in 2.0. There are no heals in this form so don't worry about disabling them.

What changed in 2.0?

I really like Lokin as a companion while leveling and for running dailies. Read his abilities and note his dps abilities can only be used in rhakghoul form and vice versa for healing abilities. I think it makes him the most versatile healer comp in the game, as he is basically forced to heal when not in rhakghoul form. I've noticed other healer companions still try to dps a lot even in their healing stance. This has allowed me to take on more challenging fights while on my sniper than if i were on another toon.

Lokin's dps is fair. But then he doesn't have as many dps skills as a dps companion.

My advice is if you are a heal spec'd operative, go with a dps or tank companion over Lokin. If you are dps spec'd operative or sniper, Lokin is the companion to have.

Being able to transform to a rhakghoul makes Lokin the coolest companion in the game.

Read his abilities and note his dps abilities can only be used in rhakghoul form and vice versa for healing abilities. I think it makes him the most versatile healer comp in the game, as he is basically forced to heal when not in rhakghoul form.

I don't think you know what 'versatile' means. If Lokin's transformation prevents him from doing damage and healing at the same time then he's the least versatile healing companion in the game. I run Mako, Quinn and Talos in their DPS stance with all their cast time abilities turned off. This turns them into pseudo-damage dealers with instant cast heals. If you can't do that with Lokin then he's not versatile. Sure as hell not the most versatile healer.

Last time I checked, Lokin still pops out of Rakghoul form when you go into or pop out of stealth, making him rather undesirable as dps for Operatives because of the extra micromanaging of him you have to do.

He's pretty good heals for DPS agents though. I had him healing while my friend's companion tanked and he did a great job keeping our little group up, even when he was running around without a blaster at the start because he doesn't come with one. It's pretty funny to watch him punch mobs with his fists though!