The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Replace random packages with individual item purchases

I find most items on the CM overpriced. Everything should be cheaper. That apart, the most significant change to the CM I wish to see implemented is the removal of random packs in place for buying each and every item individually.

I think if an item is desirable it will be bought anyway, it's just that all the undesirable stuff they force upon us would not be purchased. It is therefore more appropriate to make these rarely purchased items rare objects, rather than the on high demand ones as is currently the norm.

Good stuff will be purchased, bad stuff not. The money will still roll in so the greed aspect is really not an issue as people want to buy the good stuff. I for one will not invest in a single CC outside the subscriber award I get(at least for a little while more) to invest in some lame random package that may, but most likely will not contain the item I want.

It's also the only way they can control rarity. If they let the market decide, high demand items will be plentiful, as there's no barrier to production.

I already see too many Revan Masks in my travels, and I'm mostly a Republic player- I dread to think how it must be on the Impside...

Although I find it annoying that I must search through the GTN repeatedly to find the items I want at a reasonable price that's life- the stuff I want only feels special because it's rare.

The CM is not about rare objects really, if they wanted objects to truly be rare they would place them as solely operations reward drops. The whole rare objects in CM packs is just a way to lure people with too much money on their hands to invest a heap into random packages so that they will get more chanses to get that item they want. It's the wrong way if you ask me and I won't stand for it.

Packs make significantly more money for them than individual choices. Take, for example, Thana Vesh's outfit. Sure they could put that on the market for 1440 CC. But that's 4 packs. How many packs do you think people bought trying to get that, or trying to get the stuff to sell to get it.

This is an old, old business model (think baseball cards) and it works. I wouldn't hold my breath looking for any changes.

How many of the active players buy CCs to purchase packs?

edit: And speaking of card games, more and more of those are leaving that model for newer more tailored packages containing exactly what the buyer expects. People are more restrictie with their money nowadays, so it ireally is as you say, an "old" buisniss model.

Edited by Kaerwolf
addition