Collections: Revan's Mask should be stand-alone

They already said no and using the mask was a bad example.

Hey, guys, let me give a little background on this decision and how it came to be.

During development of the Collections system, a couple of problems became apparent in terms of how things are architected on the back end of SWTOR. The short form is that making all items in a collection separate items had a lot of nasty side effects. It increased the amount of data storage per character considerably, it increased login times to handle versioning up your character, and it also quintupled the number of things in the collections GUI, making that GUI an unreadable mess. The team working on this feature looked at these problems and decided that the best possible solution to these issues was to consolidate these items into sets.

So, yeah, that's on the design team. I swear, not because we're evil jerk designers, we just kinda failed to fully realize how the feature would end up playing out . We now have a better grasp of the ramifications of this decision, and we're aware of the unhappiness it caused.

We're also aware that using Revan's Mask as an example was a pretty poor call on our part.

We're in the process of evaluating other options that would allow us to give players the functionality that they want, while at the same time address the very real technical and GUI concerns that we faced with our initial architecture of the system. Unfortunately, no option that we come up with is likely to be doable very quickly -- on top of solving the technical problems, we also need to now deal with ensuring anyone who purchases the collected items with the current system end up being correctly credited if we convert something over. As such, I have no ETA for when we will address this.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should be separated from the rest of the armor the same way the eradicator mask is. The eradicator mask came out after the armor, so it is properly done that it is not required for the collection of the armor. The Revan mask was in one pack, the sash and gloves in another, so should be separate collection purchases. If anything, require the chest and leggins since they were out same time as rest of the pack, but not the belt and gloves. Bioware should really address this knowing the mask is one of the most beloved items in KOTOR universe.

Then they would need to go back and separate almost all the sets from the first packs.

for example the Phantom set is from 2 separate packs.

Sorry but the best (fair) option at this time is to keep it as a total and complete set to get the collection unlock.

So my vote is no, the set should not be sold through the market or the re-sale certificate system now.

For those wanting the mask their is a way to get just the mask.

Now me I totally hate the gambling system. I loved that the Eradicator set was a straight up purchase and would love to see more good sets sold this way. But they can't just turn what was a gambling reward into a cheap purchase now, because they would need to return at least a % of a coins spent on those packs that contained those items just to save face.

Edited by Profion_Xilus

well the only available gloves and sash available on my server are 25 mil a piece. and they appear to be the ONLY two left. :/

bring back A way for us to get the revan pieces. whether its expensive or extremely difficult. as long as the opportunity is THERE that'd be great. like for example. randomly have old cartel packs come back for short periods of time like a day or two. watch people buy em up while they're there, sales on those packs would soar while they're up, which means people would buy more cartel coins and well, EA profits from that y'know. when something is only available at random limited intervals people are going to get as much as they can while they can. I for one bought like 50 boxes of twinkies when I realized they'd be gone soon. (which lasted me damn near till they came out again)

I'd like to see all the previous cartel packs come back in some form, permanently removing any of the packs doesn't really make much sense for EA, the artists have been paid, the items created, the cost of keeping them in game is 0 (right?). therefore keeping the packs in game can only = profit for EA.

But they can't just turn what was a gambling reward into a cheap purchase now, because they would need to return at least a % of a coins spent on those packs that contained those items just to save face.

Well there's a couple options there. Instead of turning what was a gambling reward into a cheap purchase, perhaps turn it in to a more expensive purchase. Either you'll have to save up your free CC or really think about if you want to spend that much money in CC to purchase it. Just a thought. As for the second thing mentioned, perhaps they could actually do that. They could give everyone who had the full set unlocked already a big chunk of CC to compensate them for the trouble they had to go through that is no longer there. It wouldn't cost BW/EA anything to do. They give out free CC all the time anyway. Cartel Coins are nothing but profit for them. They don't lose money for giving them away, and they aren't losing any physical merchandise that they'll have to restock with the CC they gave away. All the people who went through the work of obtaining the set spent their money already on coins and they'll probably spend more in the future. Giving them a bunch of free coins isn't going to change that. If anything it will show that their effort wasn't for nothing. I really like this idea and when I say a big chunk of free CC, I don't mean like the 500 we all got recently for the anniversary, but more like perhaps 5000 or something.

bring back A way for us to get the revan pieces. whether its expensive or extremely difficult. as long as the opportunity is THERE that'd be great. like for example. randomly have old cartel packs come back for short periods of time like a day or two. watch people buy em up while they're there, sales on those packs would soar while they're up, which means people would buy more cartel coins and well, EA profits from that y'know. when something is only available at random limited intervals people are going to get as much as they can while they can. I for one bought like 50 boxes of twinkies when I realized they'd be gone soon. (which lasted me damn near till they came out again)

I'd like to see all the previous cartel packs come back in some form, permanently removing any of the packs doesn't really make much sense for EA, the artists have been paid, the items created, the cost of keeping them in game is 0 (right?). therefore keeping the packs in game can only = profit for EA.

I totally agree with this. Despite what I said above, the set doesn't have to be sold on it's own, as long as there is a way to obtain them. If they brought the packs with the items back, that would be a great alternative. All the people who went through the trouble of getting the set the hard way will not have to worry about it being "less special" and those of us who don't have it, can work to get it the way that everyone else did. As far as I can see it's really win/win.

Edited by Zeromeus

well the only available gloves and sash available on my server are 25 mil a piece. and they appear to be the ONLY two left. :/

bring back A way for us to get the revan pieces. whether its expensive or extremely difficult. as long as the opportunity is THERE that'd be great

The opportunity is there, and it's extremely difficult and expensive, as you noted.

It's called "artificial scarcity."

All that said, if they put it all for sale a la carte in the CM, fine with me. Or leave it as it is, don't care. It's just a game.

All that said, if they put it all for sale a la carte in the CM, fine with me. Or leave it as it is, don't care. It's just a game.

This! Why can't more people think like this? If more people thought like this, we wouldn't have the argument of "if they put it on the CM it would make it less special for those who had to find it in the packs". It's just a game. Why does it matter how you got it, as long as you can have it if you want it. It's already IN the game.

Revan's set parts should not be available to buy via the cartel market, they need to bring back the cartel packs from which they dropped. Keep the drop rate the same meaning EXTREMELY LOW as it used to be before.

That being said, Revan's mask should be a stand alone...

Edited by Deviss

• 1 month later...
I have obtained many sets in my short time here, my 2 "expencive" sets are Thana's and Phantom (On ebon hawk) they go for a few mil ea. I got Phantom's when it was dirt cheap (About 3 months ago) and I got Thana's recently (With a lot of trading and marketing skills) IDC if someone else runs around in Thana's or Phantom's robes TBH... I also have Sion's set too, think I care if someone has that? If I had to spend 100M on my 2 sets, and it became popular (Like the eradicator's set) I wouldn't mind what so ever. I honestly think Revan's gear should have STARTED OFF CM, not packs.

• 3 weeks later...
First off.

NOTHING IN THE REPUTATION VENDOR APPLIES TO COLLECTIONS. Your full Revan set with your reputation mask will not count towards the progress. They are completely different items..

So if I buy the mask from the reputation vendor it won't count towards the collection?

I need the gloves, mask and sash on Jedi Covenant. Anybody selling them?

They won't even bother fixing Revan's color bug, don't hold your breath on them fixing this.

It seems inconsistent. A lot of people are saying they unlocked the full set after getting the mask from the rep vendor. Others are saying it doesn't work. I'm just trying to get a straight answer. I want to complete this set, badly.

It seems inconsistent. A lot of people are saying they unlocked the full set after getting the mask from the rep vendor. Others are saying it doesn't work. I'm just trying to get a straight answer. I want to complete this set, badly.

They changed it a little after the Rise of the Hutt Cartel Patching. THEY DO WORK for collections. "now" they do at least.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm right there with everybody else. I'll never be able to get the sash I need to complete this set and have it for everyone. It's strange how much this is affecting my enjoyment of the game. I know it probably sounds strange, but it's got me wanting to just say "Screw it" and not play anymore or purchase anything else from the CC market. I have unlocked pretty much everything I want on all my characters except Revan's stuff. I started playing TOR because of how good KotoR was and I would love to be able to just have the mask on my other characters, but since I can't find the sash on Jedi Covenant, I'm screwed. Especially now that it doesn't look like the packs that had Revan's sash won't be coming back.