The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Re-playable Main Story Line!

KavenOrdin

One thing about all MMO's is that, in time, once you have finished the game's story arc, there is little else to do (besides PVP/dungeon runs). With such an amazing story from TOR's game-play, many players and myself agree that providing an opportunity to re-play the main story as endgame content would be beneficial to the MMO community. BioWare has done an excellent job of designing this universe, but as it stands, I feel like something is significantly missing. I do not wish to give up on a character I've grown proud of over 50 levels of hard work and immersible story - which is well-written like a good book. At the same time, I don't want to just make another character of the same class for the sake of reliving the story and I'm sure there are others who feel the same. How many console games do we return to just to relive the story (Such as BioWare's Mass Effect; a great example of replay and reward )? I, for one, would love to see a - let's say - "restart story" option in TOR. Here are some reasons to persuade the potential addition of a replayable storyline:

1. It wouldn't take long to go through it.

2. Anyone who likes getting the achievements could now get them for running a previously completed story.

3. We could see the different paths and results that come from choices (lightside vs darkside).

4. It would continue a busy galaxy.

5. In making this, it wouldn't be adding content so much as letting us revisit it.

But enough about that. Point is I think this could breathe some new life into the galaxy, and for those of us who love the replay value of any game, it would be a real treat.

I'm a subscriber, and the one thing that really makes me consider abandoning my subscription that (as is typical because the quest log has limited slots) I can't get back the planet questlines i abandoned to make room.

When levelling, inevitably, you are going to move on to a different planet when your quests go grey. There's far too much XP in the game, which isn't necessarily a problem... until I discover I can't return to old questlines after I've abandoned them.

Yes yes, you get a different conformation screen. Does anyone actually read those more than once?

Anyway: YES! Repeatable questlines please!

I've posted agreement to threads with similar ideas in the past. I'd like to see this happen. It could simply be another way to grind commendations, which is what most end game stuff becomes when it's superseded by new content. I'd be happy to grind this way, if I have to do so at all. And it'd take longer than the current dailies, and perhaps be a bit more entertaining to boot.

I'm a subscriber, and the one thing that really makes me consider abandoning my subscription that (as is typical because the quest log has limited slots) I can't get back the planet questlines i abandoned to make room.

When levelling, inevitably, you are going to move on to a different planet when your quests go grey. There's far too much XP in the game, which isn't necessarily a problem... until I discover I can't return to old questlines after I've abandoned them.

Yes yes, you get a different conformation screen. Does anyone actually read those more than once?

Anyway: YES! Repeatable questlines please!

Well, i tend to resume the quests even when they turn gray so i can get the commendation that 90% of all quests give, anything to avoid paying over 5x the price for crafted items.

Indeed. However I (and I imagine I'm not alone) made the mistake of abandoning mainline quests without realising that I couldn't ever get them back. In the future I won't of course, but in the meantime my main has abandoned the main quests of most of the planets I've been on. I'll never be able to get that content back for this character, and as I'm a bit of a roleplayer I really hate that idea.

Repeatable main quests could be bumped up to a higher difficulty level. Hardmode, Nightmaremode etc, So you could replay the game at a higher level, for higher level commendations. Cool idea.

Would also be a way to be able to achieve some of those new achievement criteria. For example, kill the 15 training droids on Tython. I could delete a character or buy extra character slots for the server, but making some of the quests re-doable would also be a good option. Even scaling the level and skill of those droids to match my character coming back to knock out the achievement would be great to maintain the challenge. Also, like mentioned above, doing this would add more replay options throughout the game. I'd go back to some earlier planets just for the satisfaction of doing something different than dailies. Edited by amaresch

I would love to go through the story line again :cool: I know this part might not sit well with others, but it might help persuade Bioware to consider it, they could charge cc's to replay the story line. Once you purchase the unlock and visit Taris / Korriban it creates an instanced version of the planet with appropriate level mobs.

Of course they would have to create another instance of the planet with appropriate level mobs, so I'm thinking that you'd have to be at least level 50 and have chapter 3 completed before you can purchase the unlock.

Hint: Don't abandon a quest, untrack it ;)

Ooh, I like this idea, esspecially since I am an altoholic. I tend to switch between chars a lot and forget what came before in the story in the weeks since I last used a char, forget why I'm looking for *insert npc name here*.

A chance to speed run through the story missions again once it was all over would be great.

Ooh, I like this idea, esspecially since I am an altoholic. I tend to switch between chars a lot and forget what came before in the story in the weeks since I last used a char, forget why I'm looking for *insert npc name here*.

A chance to speed run through the story missions again once it was all over would be great.

This :o

• 2 years later...
It has been quite a while since i have posted on this but I still hope Bioware considers this! After KOTFE starting to streamline all stories into a single story it would be awesome if we could once again revisit our original story. Please TOR Devs look at this and think of how many people would come back and the kind of life it would breath into the planets.

I didn't even realize you necro'd this thread, haha.

As someone who participates (occasionally) in the fan fiction section of the forum, you have no idea how convenient being able to run a character through the story again would be, being able to pick out details I either missed the first time or just don't remember - especially when it comes to one-off NPC's who could be so much more useful.

If I could re-run the story on a character that would mean I don't have to design an entirely new alt to be able to play it (which sometimes takes me almost as long as going through the story >.>)

I also would really like to see this! The main trouble I see is that if KOTFE uses choices you made from the main class stories - which supposedly it does? - it might pose a conflict if the KOTFE you're running is based off choices that you might be changing in a replay of the class story. Maybe this could be solved by locking in those choices? Or by disregarding choices made in replays?

I don't know, but it would still be nice to have the option!

I also would really like to see this! The main trouble I see is that if KOTFE uses choices you made from the main class stories - which supposedly it does? - it might pose a conflict if the KOTFE you're running is based off choices that you might be changing in a replay of the class story. Maybe this could be solved by locking in those choices? Or by disregarding choices made in replays?

I don't know, but it would still be nice to have the option!

Well that's what made the most sense to me: just disregard choices in the replay once you finish chapter 3 again. Have a series of temporary flags for story, but the main character ones (which KOTFE would run off) are untouched.