Should there be a thing that lets you change to like a juggernaut to a murrader?

gammofet

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think this will happen, it goes against their businesse model. The goal is to get you to play more, by re rolling or what not. the latest patch with collection s is aimed to get you to spend more money ey getting your stuff to your alts. the legacy system, with all its perks that are earned/bought with credits or cartel coins are all aimed at collecting more money from you as you *make* alts. by doing the ac change, they risk opening the door to people making less alts. cause after ac change, it won't stop there, it will entire class change, knights to sages ect. think of what that would do to legacy unlocks? this system could turn ugly so fast while all the time reducing a persons needs or desires to role alts, which face it, increases biowares chances to make money. the only way they could possibly justify doing this would be for big bucks knowing full well that they could have just possibly cut their life time value of that customer in half.

besides all the obvious technical reasons, they could possibly loose tons of money in the life time value of a customer. I highly doubt we will ever see this, but who knows.

It's already in game.

But they call it rolling a new character. ;)

You know with your other posts, I have to wonder...why not be for it being a Cartel Market option?

After all, it would be the players choice! It even be free to Subs since you know, they get free CC.

BW is all about expanding the Cartel Market, and here we have an option many seem to be willing to pay some real money for!

Seriously folks, it's a non-point. The devs have said it will never happen. This came up a few months before F2P, and it was shot down quicker than a British hot air balloon over WW2 Nazi Germany.

Things can change when they realize just how much money it can make them

Bioware have only themselves to blame for the misconception that advanced classes are the same thing as specializations from WoW. Respec in WoW lets you change your spec, not your class. Respec works the same in swtor, its just that classes are referred to as advanced classes for some misguided reason.

An mmo that has strict defined classes letting you pay to flat out switch the class of your toon is pretty much unheard of, at least I'm not aware of any mainstream mmo that has set this precedent.

Bioware would be better served by letting players choose their advanced class at character creation, and just removing the whole concept of "advanced class" from the game. It would also give them the opportunity to cut down on ability bloat, for example removing unload from the powertech.

Edited by Marb

Bioware have only themselves to blame for the misconception that advanced classes are the same thing as specializations from WoW. Respec in WoW lets you change your spec, not your class. Respec works the same in swtor, its just that classes are referred to as advanced classes for some misguided reason.

An mmo that has strict defined classes letting you pay to flat out switch the class of your toon is pretty much unheard of, at least I'm not aware of any mainstream mmo that has set this precedent.

Bioware would be better served by letting players choose their advanced class at character creation, and just removing the whole concept of "advanced class" from the game. It would also give them the importunity to cut down on ability bloat, for example removing unload from the powertech.

BW would be better served allowing players to pay real money to their cartel market to change their advance class at the drop of a hat.

You know what mainstream mmos also didnt have before...customization! Then MMOs had it, and we got TOR and it didn't have any and we were like ***?! So that arguement against it fails.

I can't wait for this to happen.

Nowadays, I as a healer only have to deal with tanks, which were DD 10 minutes ago and do not have a single tank item. But at least they did level their char and know the basic mechanics of their skills.

I honestly cannot wait to do a lvl 55 HM pickup with a tank, who was a fellow healer just 10 minutes ago, who not only does not have any suitable equipment, but who is also used to stand 20m away from the action, instead of plowing right through it and who had barely time to read up on half of their skills, while constantly trying to use a skill he doesn't possess any more :o

Honestly, I cannot wait for this to happen :rolleyes:

But if so many people want it, make it a cartel option for 200$... I am all for insane people spending insane ammount of money, so that my hobby stays alive :)

Edited by JPryde

Seriously folks, it's a non-point. The devs have said it will never happen. This came up a few months before F2P, and it was shot down quicker than a British hot air balloon over WW2 Nazi Germany.

I'll bet you've waited a long time to use that analogy, so I hate to have to do this ...;)

According to Dulfy's November 16 interview with Damion Schubert:

We have had serious talks recently about offering an Advanced Class change option – I think that one will likely happen eventually. Species is likely as well..

Frankly, I don't have a problem with this. Sure, you're going to see a lot of people who don't know how to play their characters at max level, but they're changing their class to please themselves, not the rest of the community. It's not going to tear endgame apart.

One thing that I'd hope is that the onus would be on the player to gear up their new character. BioWare shouldn't be expected to swap out every piece of equipment and mod to match the new Advanced Class. That would be a nightmare to code and balance, especially if one could change their Advanced Class at any level. This should be made clear and stated up front so players know what they're getting into and can prepare beforehand.

Of course it would mean that some players of Juggernauts and Guardians would be complaining to no end about how unfair it is that everyone else gets to wear their previous Advanced Class's armor. And then there will be people complaining that the companion they want to use isn't geared up. But it wouldn't be the official forums if there weren't.:D

I wouldn't mind this happening if it would be in CM for the price of 3k-5k, maybe. And with at least 1 month cd, maybe longer. I understand if someone wants to change their AC once, but it should be made extremely difficult to change it all the time. Edited by Seireeni

I wouldn't mind this happening if it would be in CM for the price of 3k-5k, maybe. And with at least 1 month cd, maybe longer. I understand if someone wants to change their AC once, but it should be made extremely difficult to change it all the time.

Double the cost each time you use it and skip the cooldown. Rich kids spending thousands of dollars with daddys CC is not my concern ;)

I played FFXI for years, you could swap and change you class as much as you liked, the only difference was you had to level that particular Class.

You had 2 class per character (example Pladin/warrior) THe first class could get max level the secondry class only reached half the mains level). You could switch them about as much as you liked. There was absolutally no problem with end game.

I say put something in, but maybe find a way where it will need levelling before its useful to end game. As i said, it worked fine for FFXI

Well, the biggest argument for allowing an Advance Class change...imho... is that sometimes things change

Case in point is that every other major patch there seems to be a balance change to character specs. If tomorrow the Devs removed the ability for Guardians to use taunt...as a really really horrible example... would there not be some realistic expectation after all of that time/energy/money you put into leveling a Guardian...to at least have an 'out'?

And lets face it, the way you play an AC varies drastically between level 10 and level 55. Rotations, Abilities that affect each other, heck even the companions (ie having a tank companion for a healer) that you get change all the time as you level. It is very possible that something you enjoy around level 20-30 turns out to be a disappointment come level 55.

Or worse you join that great PVE guild and find out that because of your build you are 10 down the depth chart for raids, regardless of your skill. It happens.

THAT SAID..If there were to be an option to change ACs I would like to see things like the below, in order to deter people from making it a bad habit:

*Decent cost to change

*Continue to design end game gear to be focused on specific ACs. Would you be gung-ho about switching if it meant making your entire WZ Conqueror Gear set useless?

*Make it so you have to switch ACs either offline or somewhere inconvenient. Basically no 'changing ACs' in the middle of a WZ.

*Cooldown timer affecting ability to queue solo into Ops, FPs or WZs? IE you can't pug for the first 20 hours after change. Out of the box crazy, not even sure i like that.

Here is one of the major reasons people ask for the option to change class. "My class got nerfed, and I don't want to level a new toon. Let me change my class to the new FOTM."

Edited by Ratajack

Here is one of the major reasons people ask for the option to change class. "My class got nerfed, and I don't want to level a new toon. Let me change my class to the new FOTM."

And it's probably the least legitimate.

I'll bet you've waited a long time to use that analogy, so I hate to have to do this ...;)

According to Dulfy's November 16 interview with Damion Schubert:

Quote:

We have had serious talks recently about offering an Advanced Class change option – I think that one will likely happen eventually. Species is likely as well..

Frankly, I don't have a problem with this. Sure, you're going to see a lot of people who don't know how to play their characters at max level, but they're changing their class to please themselves, not the rest of the community. It's not going to tear endgame apart.

One thing that I'd hope is that the onus would be on the player to gear up their new character. BioWare shouldn't be expected to swap out every piece of equipment and mod to match the new Advanced Class. That would be a nightmare to code and balance, especially if one could change their Advanced Class at any level. This should be made clear and stated up front so players know what they're getting into and can prepare beforehand.

Of course it would mean that some players of Juggernauts and Guardians would be complaining to no end about how unfair it is that everyone else gets to wear their previous Advanced Class's armor. And then there will be people complaining that the companion they want to use isn't geared up. But it wouldn't be the official forums if there weren't.:D

As I stated earlier, nowhere in that post did Schubert say that AC changes WILL happen. He gave an answer designed to sidestep the issue. By answering the way he did, he avoids the backlash of the pro AC change people by using words designed to give them the belief that AC changes are coming, while at the same time avoiding the wrath of those against class changes by not saying that they will be implemented. I'm sure his words were carefully chosen to avoid backlash and subscription loss from either side. Notice we have heard absolutely nothing on this subject since, though.

I'm not saying that class changes will never happen. We all know that if they feel they can make enough on the CM from selling class changes, they will do so. Until that time, though, I will continue to subscribe and play.

And it's probably the least legitimate.

Most of the people who I have seen asking for an AC change fall into one of two groups.

Group A is the "my AC got nerfed or the other AC got buffed and now I want to play the OP one."

Group B is the "I want to level easy mode (marauder DPS, for example) and switch AC's (juggernaut tank) at endgame."

Bioware would be better served by letting players choose their advanced class at character creation, and just removing the whole concept of "advanced class" from the game. It would also give them the importunity to cut down on ability bloat, for example removing unload from the powertech.

Yeah, starting as the advance class would work, it would mean I have one less window to look through when setting up my bars, and since I know what advance class I want from the start it would mean I don't have to go through the rigmarole on the fleet. The only downside is I wouldn't get a pack from the trainer, although you could get that from your mentor/boss/teacher at the end of the first planet.

Most of the people who I have seen asking for an AC change fall into one of two groups.

Group A is the "my AC got nerfed or the other AC got buffed and now I want to play the OP one."

Group B is the "I want to level easy mode (marauder DPS, for example) and switch AC's (juggernaut tank) at endgame."

Pre-F2P, that's what I've seen the most of. Agreed.

Post-F2P, I've mostly seen two types: (1) people who have either invested financially in their characters at a low level who now wish to reroll (and would gladly otherwise), but have already spent real money (who isn't guilty of finding a perfect item for a low level alt and send it over?), and (2) people who chose a certain class because they were not impressed with the aesthetics of the class they would actually like to play, mechanically (example: picking Juggernaut because you like the look of heavy armour or going with Merc because a single gun didn't look powerful enough). With the advent of the CM and, now, even more customization options, a lot of the aesthetics between classes have become blurred. People can now nail the aesthetic they were aiming for without choosing a specific path for gameplay. But they cannot change past decisions based on now-defunct restructions.

For (1), I sympathize: when "rerolling" actively wastes real money, it becomes less legitimate if an AC swap could prevent the waste of cash. For (2), I sympathize even more: I chose Juggernaut over Marauder because I enjoyed the look of heavy armour. Mechanically, I would have preferred to play the Marauder, but I value aesthetics more. With aesthetics so flexible, now, that is not a choice I would have made a year ago.

An mmo that has strict defined classes letting you pay to flat out switch the class of your toon is pretty much unheard of.

Star Wars Galaxies had a respec system, you used in-game money and could change your class as much as you want with no timer (the amount it cost to respec went up with each one though until a cap which was pretty high), you could try out all of the classes in a day if you want, be a jedi for an hour, go the the respec person and be a bounty hunter then go back again and be a smuggler. I'm not saying this game should have a respec system, it is a completely different type of mmo, Im just pointing out where folks might be getting the idea from.

As I stated earlier, nowhere in that post did Schubert say that AC changes WILL happen.

I didn't say that anyone said AC changes will happen. I was just providing evidence that ran counter to the claim that the devs said that they will never happen.

My first character was a sage, I thought I'd go Shadow since I didn't want to be primarily a healer. Didn't know that choosing Shadow excluded me totally from getting healing abilities.

This blows my mind. So when you got the dialog pop-up that told you the choice you are about to make is final and you won't be able to change it, you didn't think it would be a good idea to, I don't know, do basic research on each AC to see how they played and what type of abilities they would get?

Laziness is one of the few things, in my opinion, to which there is no excuse. They shouldn't allow you to change class just because you were to too lazy to look into the classes that were available.

Edited by seekerofpower

Things can change when they realize just how much money it can make them

Or how much money it could cost them. I can easily see how this would cut corners in someone's grinding time. Less time grinding, less chances to purchase other things. The longer they keep you in game, whether a sub or not, the more likely you are to buy. This just cuts corners and time. I see nothing but a money lost to be honest. Unless they charge a lot, and I mean a lot. :(

I support. However, I do see one problem: what if you want to switch back? I mean, it could turn out you prefered the other advanced class. Personally, I want to turn my marauder into a juggernaut.

All in all, I support.

I support. However, I do see one problem: what if you want to switch back? I mean, it could turn out you prefered the other advanced class. Personally, I want to turn my marauder into a juggernaut.

All in all, I support.

Pay more. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.