The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Performance and 2.1

Elvandar

I'm not going to comment on there being a lack of content in 2.1 as the expansion hasn't been out long and these quality of life changes have been desired for a long time. I'm as excited as anyone for these changes.

However - and I say this directly to you Bioware - If some major FPS optimizations are not part of this patch you are going to get some serious criticism from an awful lot of people. I'm at the end of my tether trying to enjoy pvp. On top of the awful FPS the massive 4 second lag spikes the entire team feels simultaneously are getting ridiculous too.

As a subscriber and someone who has pored plenty money into your beloved cartel market, I think it's only fair we got some type of formal acknowledgement that you have been listening to the numerous performance complaint threads and your progress on solving the obvious issue on your end. Struggling to stay above 25 fps is warzones even on the lowest settings is not acceptable and the strange team-wide freezes are taking it a step further.

I couldn't care less if there is no new content for the next two updates if it speeds up fixing these massive bugs.

/signed.

Besides the connection and lag issues, the game needs some improvement when it comes to hardware performance.

Like the poster above me, my configuration is WAY ABOVE the recommended to play the game and sometimes in warzones during that mayhem that it can be, I feel a huge FPS drop, from the 60 FPS I normally run the game (vsync on) to under 30 FPS.

Makeb is another chapter to this issue.

Every time I go there, my PC struggles to be over 45 FPS.

My specs:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Intel® Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs)

8192MB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

1x SATA2 SSD for SO

1x SATA3 SSD for games

1x HDD for storage

I see odd lag spikes and connection drops here and there, same as any other MMO.

I'm running a 560TI and I'm seeing roughly 70fps in the world. The fleet is where that gets bogged down as the engine seems to **** a proverbial brick when there are more than 10 people on the screen at once, but I can live with that if it's only on the fleet.

Warzones are hardly unplayable, and the performance within them isn't worth whining about, but it feels slightly sluggish. Camera turning more slowly than expected, ui not firing off casts when I press the button, etc.

All in all some performance upgrades would be very very welcome, but at the end of the day the game is still perfectly playable.

I remember back a year and a half ago having an 8800GT and still being happy with my 19 fps :) That was before the fix to outdoor fps too, where you'd get about a third of what you got in an indoor setting.

Edited by CyberTronX

/signed.

It is getting very tiresome. I have occasional FPS drops, but the real killer for me is the rubberbanding. The fault is not at my end. I do not have rubberbanding issues like these in any other online game, and I'm far from the only one who experience these issues.

Examples:

http://youtu.be/A6oRTlRdC-c

http://youtu.be/eqp47YSF4QU

These issues began with 1.3... and since that patch, I've improved my internet connection, and even that did nothing to affect them. The game was much smoother and much more enjoyable prior to 1.3... and if they don't fix these issues soon, then I'll probably start looking for greener pastures. I'm at the end of my rope.

Edited by Majspuffen

Im not sure what everyone seems to have a problem with, I run a GeForce 680i as well as 32gigs of RAM and all my settings are maxxed and im still running at 150fps and higher, I do think they should optimize for lesser computers though, maybe reduce the amount of memory it takes to run the game as to bring in more players or help the ones who play with lag.

Im not sure what everyone seems to have a problem with, I run a GeForce 680i as well as 32gigs of RAM and all my settings are maxxed and im still running at 150fps and higher, I do think they should optimize for lesser computers though, maybe reduce the amount of memory it takes to run the game as to bring in more players or help the ones who play with lag.

My system has always been more than good enough to run the game, my problem is that since the most recent patches I've seen a huge hit. I'm all for general optimization but there is clearly an issue with the latest patch which is causing massive frame drops even for people with well beyond the requirements. If you aren't experiencing this you're lucky.

The hit in operations is minor, but in pvp I've had warzone groups where the entire team commented on these strange spikes we were getting all at the same time. Even with the lag spikes aside most of us were getting less than 30fps on average going as low as 18fps.

With regard to the spikes in particular we had a few moments where it was like a slideshow for around 4-5 seconds. It's almost feels like latency lag but it's actually being reflected in the FPS.

You know there's something wrong when going from maxed out settings to the bare minimum doesn't offer any fps gain at all. If you're pulling 100+, hell even 60+ fps in warzones you should be extremely grateful lol.

Edited by Elvandar

/signed.

Besides the connection and lag issues, the game needs some improvement when it comes to hardware performance.

Like the poster above me, my configuration is WAY ABOVE the recommended to play the game and sometimes in warzones during that mayhem that it can be, I feel a huge FPS drop, from the 60 FPS I normally run the game (vsync on) to under 30 FPS.

Makeb is another chapter to this issue.

Every time I go there, my PC struggles to be over 45 FPS.

My specs:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Intel® Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs)

8192MB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

1x SATA2 SSD for SO

1x SATA3 SSD for games

1x HDD for storage

Urs should work ok, but maybe as usual, it could be other running programs in the background that can really reduce any PCs performance. Look at how many Programs are running and if u have a lot, then just turn them off and see if ur PC Performance.

Also if u have too many Icons that run Programs should be put in a Folder for them show, that could make ur PC performance better to. As too many Icons can be a part of some Computer performance to.

I have a good RIG myself with 16gigs of memory, as that is the norm for Computers now. But ur Computer should work fine, but EA/Bioware has not still made better improvements for their servers. I know if there is lag, that then the Servers are to blame and not ur kind of PC. Luckily my 2 Nvidia 680s with 2gigs let me usually go through any lag where other ppl cant move, but I can 97% of the time. The rest is the Server problems.

I get 60fps all the time, unless it's the server, and am on Fleet, or lots of ppl are Pvp'ing on the server to, but it's rare.

Edited by MandFlurry
Editing

Im not sure what everyone seems to have a problem with, I run a GeForce 680i as well as 32gigs of RAM and all my settings are maxed and im still running at 150fps and higher, I do think they should optimize for lesser computers though, maybe reduce the amount of memory it takes to run the game as to bring in more players or help the ones who play with lag.

Yeah, Memory, the right GPU, and CPU is what ppl really need to look at. Thing is the OP has 8gigs of memory, though he said Megs lol, while us other Computer Enthusiasts have at least 16gigs that can OC to 2100. 32gig is mostly for ppl that do high end Graphics programs that uses CAD or Photoshop Elements with makeing Videos in CGI. I could easily up my FPS, but Nvidia defaults from like 1600x1080 resolution, then defaults to 1600x728 I believe.

For my HDD I have WD Caviar Black 1TB and an extra WD Caviar Black 500gigs

I have the same set-up and experience 90-110fps consistently. I do experience some lag once in awhile and my server connection bars (right hand side) will disappear once in awhile. It's really not enough to harm the game. I have also successfully run the game on my old Toshiba Satellite laptop, albeit not at 100fps, which doesn't even have a GPU and has 3 gigs of memory. It can be done.

Frankly, a lot of stuff that is blamed on Bioware is not their fault. They have no control over your Internet connection, and if you're running a DSL connection from someone like Centurylink, where their advertised 1.544Mbps download speed is delusional, there's a lot of your problem right there. The lowest common denominator determines your gameplay.

Try turning off all name-plates and turn off "scale names with distance".

I've found that with name plates & scale on, it creates chugging on high-end systems. I turned them off, and now everything is smooth, no chugging whatsoever. I know many PvPers run with nameplates on, but in this game, nameplates will create lag and chugging. Its the same reason why we don't have chat bubbles, they can't figure out a way for the hero engine to work with chat bubbles. They did create and test chat bubbles, but it was never released, as they can't make it work without extraordinary lag & chugging issues.

Hero engine can't handle text on-screen. Crazy.

My specs are:

ASUS M5 A97 R2.0 motherboard

AMD FX 4 gig 8-core processor

16 GB RAM

GeForce GTX 670

On top of the awful FPS the massive 4 second lag spikes the entire team feels simultaneously are getting ridiculous too.

THIS! I don't pvp, but I can confirm it happens everywhere since Makeb was released, including the old content and low populated areas, no matter if I play solo or in a group.

THIS! I don't pvp, but I can confirm it happens everywhere since Makeb was released, including the old content and low populated areas, no matter if I play solo or in a group.

Actually, this has been going on for a while, but most people didn't notice it.

Back before the free server transfers, I had noticed the global cooldown going off, but abilities not being used, on all characters.

This has just become much more pronounced, recently.

They need to optimize things.