2 Million gained since F2P came out and ROTHC reviews =)

Asturias

The game continues to have much potential... Hopefully everyone will see this starting to be realized in game (through needed content and improvements) and in the community forum discussion sooner rather than later.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game continues to have much potential... Hopefully everyone will see this starting to be realized in game (through needed content and improvements) and in the community forum discussion sooner rather than later.

Well if Disney can sign an exclusive deal with EA over rights to develop all Star Wars games than this would prove that this game (SWTOR) is on the right track making good profit since the change in management and direction. One would think with Disney track record, the Mouse doesn't **** around with his money and make bad deals.

People need to really lay off because EA/BioWARE are doing good =)

Yep the game feels healthy in every place you are.

Bringing more potential customers is not enough, there a lot of things that could be improved and I hope EA/BW won't go the disposable-customer model.

Well if Disney can sign an exclusive deal with EA over rights to develop all Star Wars games than this would prove that this game (SWTOR) is on the right track making good profit since the change in management and direction. One would think with Disney track record, the Mouse doesn't **** around with his money and make bad deals.

People need to really lay off because EA/BioWARE are doing good =)

Disney signed the deal with EA because EA offered a semi trailer full of money.

EA is just as bad as Disney when it comes to being money-hungry, though.

I'd highly doubt EA would make a deal like that without having some serious guaranteed income coming from that investment.

Then again -- doesn't necessarily have to be in the form of SWTOR.

EA is just as bad as Disney when it comes to being money-hungry, though.

I'd highly doubt EA would make a deal like that without having some serious guaranteed income coming from that investment.

Then again -- doesn't necessarily have to be in the form of SWTOR.

EA doesn't get guaranteed income out of the deal. They pay Disney for the rights to use the Star Wars IP in games. They make games. They (hopefully) sell games. Then they probably pay yet more to Disney in the form of royalties.

No guarantee for EA. They have to make games that gamers will buy.

EA doesn't get guaranteed income out of the deal. They pay Disney for the rights to use the Star Wars IP in games. They make games. They (hopefully) sell games. Then they probably pay yet more to Disney in the form of royalties.

No guarantee for EA. They have to make games that gamers will buy.

No -- I think you misunderstood me.

EA wouldn't fork over a crapload of money to Disney for exclusive rights, unless EA KNEW they could make all of that back, and then some. EA is just as greedy as Disney -- and won't toss money into a dying pit.

And you dont think activision will have tried aswell. Money is only part of the deal. But you lot keep patting yourselves on the back as if EA are the devil incarnate, just makes me wonder why some of the people who detest EA so much are paying for EA titles.

Edited by Shingara

EA is concerned with "quarterly" profits - Disney is planning decades ahead.

This is very true.

I feel like EA is trying to become Disney -- but is the incompetent younger sibling.

Disney made sucking money out of people an Art form. EA turned it into S&M.

And that is sad, forums should not be filled with hate-spewing trolls. But they are and people wonder why are 99% of their suggestion ignored...

Actually thing that puzzles me is these haters have been around since forever and are yet still paying for a product they hate from a company they detest, hipsters is the term that comes to mind with most of them.

And you dont think activision will have tried aswell. Money is only part of the deal. But you lot keep patting yourselves on the back as if EA are the devil incarnate, just makes me wonder why some of the people who detest EA so much are paying for EA titles.

We don't know if Activision tried. What Star Wars titles have they ever released? What "pull" do they have with the Star Wars IP that could overcome SWTOR?

I haven't ever come close to calling EA the devil incarnate. I have frequently defended them over the stupidity of gamers voting them the worst company in America. I believe they should be paid when they provide a game / service that players value, and I put those words into action by paying them to participate in this game.

All that said, I did write the truth when I wrote that EA does not innovate and an exclusive contract will give them exactly zero incentive to ever do so.

And that is sad, forums should not be filled with hate-spewing trolls. But they are and people wonder why are 99% of their suggestion ignored...

New to the internet? B/c the interwebz is for hate the past well...since the beginning.

And to be honest F2P accounts < Subs. If there really is 2 mil "accounts" created, that's not really saying much b/c this game is a F2P option. Hell that stupid something-another 101 F2P mmo that spams my TV all the time boasts about 30million + .

In the end, if those 2 mil were paying subs, then you'd see EAware mention that more than a Cartel Update. :p

We don't know if Activision tried. What Star Wars titles have they ever released? What "pull" do they have with the Star Wars IP that could overcome SWTOR?

I haven't ever come close to calling EA the devil incarnate. I have frequently defended them over the stupidity of gamers voting them the worst company in America. I believe they should be paid when they provide a game / service that players value, and I put those words into action by paying them to participate in this game.

All that said, I did write the truth when I wrote that EA does not innovate and an exclusive contract will give them exactly zero incentive to ever do so.

We shall never know if Activision put a bid forward, but you think EA were the only one todo so. As for you never saying EA are the devil incarnate you sure act like it with some of your posts plus i was refering to the haters in general. As for inovation, you have seen the frostbite engine havent you, what they have pulled off in some games, this one for example with all the voiced and cutscened mmo, there all following the lead now.

And EA follows the players, the players give the cash. If the players dont want the product ea wont make a dime but they do dont they.

Edited by Shingara

We shall never know if Activision put a bid forward, but you think EA were the only one todo so. As for you never saying EA are the devil incarnate you sure act like it with some of your posts plus i was refering to the haters in general. As for inovation, you have seen the frostbite engine havent you, what they have pulled off in some games, this one for example with all the voiced and cutscened mmo, there all following the lead now.

And EA follows the players, the players give the cash. If the players dont want the product ea wont make a dime but they do dont they.

If the players want an NFL game, what options do they have other than EA?

Now, if the players want a Star Wars game, what options do they have other than EA?

EA is not following the players. EA has created a captive audience.

Of COURSE EA is going to get the money. That's why they pay for the exclusive contracts for immensely popular genres. And, again, as I've said before, that's freaking awesome for EA shareholders and hopefully employees.

But it's not so great for gamers who hope for innovation and love games based on the NFL or Star Wars.

If the players want an NFL game, what options do they have other than EA?

Now, if the players want a Star Wars game, what options do they have other than EA?

Of COURSE EA is going to get the money. That's why they pay for the exclusive contracts for immensely popular genres. And, again, as I've said before, that's freaking awesome for EA shareholders and hopefully employees.

But it's not so great for gamers who hope for innovation and love games based on the NFL or Star Wars.

If players want an fps game what option do they have, freaking loads of em, do ea make all sports titles, no. so cherry pick as much as you want, fact is that the players want those titles, ea gives them those titles. there are plenty of other companys making games in all genres. EA just happen to be the biggest in some areas because they make the best games in those areas.

And your trying to pre empt what is going to happen to star wars games, they may license out some sw titles, you have no idea what sw titles ea are going todo or release. We dont even know what you class as inovation because aparently graphics and gameplay arnt inovation in your book.

Edited by Shingara

IMO, for this you must put the blame where it belongs... with Disney and the NFL. They issued an exclusive license.

I get that you have high personal negative feelings about EA.. but on this aspect.. the IP owners are the ones that deserve your criticsim since it is they that control who gets access to the IP.

That said... a lot of people actually like EA games. Not all people and not all games of course.. but broadly speaking they are a successful game holding company producing successful entertainment products for a large customer base.

If players want an fps game what option do they have, freaking loads of em, do ea make all sports titles, no. so cherry pick as much as you want, fact is that the players want those titles, ea gives them those titles. there are plenty of other companys making games in all genres. EA just happen to be the biggest in some areas because they make the best games in those areas.

And your trying to pre empt what is going to happen to star wars games, they may license out some sw titles, you have no idea what sw titles ea are going todo or release. We dont even know what you class as inovation because aparently graphics and gameplay arnt inovation in your book.

Is EA the biggest maker of NFL-based games because they make the best games in that area? Well, technically, yes. Just like my daughter (an only child) is the best daughter I have... :rolleyes:

Innovation, basically, is something that hasn't been done before. Everybody improves graphics over time. That's not innovation.

Edited by DarthTHC

IMO, for this you must put the blame where it belongs... with Disney and the NFL. They issued an exclusive license.

I get that you have high personal negative feelings about EA.. but on this aspect.. the IP owners are the ones that deserve your criticsim since it is they that control who gets access to the IP.

That said... a lot of people actually like EA games. Not all people and not all games of course.. but broadly speaking they are a successful game holding company producing successful entertainment products for a large customer base.

I never said they'd be "bad" games.

I said they wouldn't innovate.

And it -is- EA's fault, at least in part. They COULD choose to innovate. They choose not to.

Is EA the biggest maker of NFL-based games because they make the best games in that area? Well, technically, yes. Just like my daughter (an only child) is the best daughter I have... :rolleyes:

Innovation, basically, is something that hasn't been done before. Everybody improves graphics over time. That's not innovation.

Did you see me say 'cherry picking' in the quote you did, so what about nfl, ea dont just make nfl. And ok throw something innovating at me and tell me something lets say activision has innovated with. And again i would say frostbite is an innovation.

Edited by Shingara

For the most part, innovation comes in small incremental steps. Innovation is very common place, even for very mundane things we take for granted... so innovation often is overlooked actually.

On occasion, something novel comes along that shifts a technology paradigm. These are extremely rare compared to innovations.

I say this, because in listening to you.. I feel you are looking for novel paradigm shifts in game design, not innovations. These happen rarely in gaming.. and almost always when there is an new novel technology released that supports it. It does not happen in a vaccuum, not even in boutique studios.

Edited by Andryah

For the most part, innovation comes in small incremental steps. Innovation is very common place, even for very mundane things we take for granted... so innovation often is overlooked actually.

On occasion, something novel comes along that shifts a technology paradigm. These are extremely rare compared to innovations.

I say this, because in listening to you.. I feel you are looking for novel paradigm shifts in game design, not innovations. These happen rarely in gaming.. and almost always when there is an new novel technology released that supports it. It does not happen in a vaccuum, not even in boutique studios.

No, really I'm looking for something meaningful to evolve over time. Fully voiced, story-driven MMO is an evolution but also an innovation. But that was already in the works within BioWare before EA bought them, so that's not EA.

Take the Madden franchise. What was the last "wow" feature added to that franchise? When was the last time something about that game made the players stand up and take notice? All the hype is about who's on the cover (and the "curse" that accompanies it). There is no hype over game features.

That's the closest parallel we have to what will happen with the Star Wars IP in games. That's my concern. But of course there's nothing I can do about it but lament it so... *shrug*

No, really I'm looking for something meaningful to evolve over time. Fully voiced, story-driven MMO is an evolution but also an innovation. But that was already in the works within BioWare before EA bought them, so that's not EA.

Take the Madden franchise. What was the last "wow" feature added to that franchise? When was the last time something about that game made the players stand up and take notice? All the hype is about who's on the cover (and the "curse" that accompanies it). There is no hype over game features.

That's the closest parallel we have to what will happen with the Star Wars IP in games. That's my concern. But of course there's nothing I can do about it but lament it so... *shrug*

And in all of that you dont mention how the background tech has innovated the games coming from the ea stable nor what it is you state as innovation and deflect the fact that even if bioware started vo before ea aquired them they grew stronger and innovated under ea and never touched an mmo until they were part of ea, also saying something that makes you stand up and go wow is relevent to the the person who stands up and goes wow only.

Some games dont need innovation, some just need evolution.

Edited by Shingara

I understand your viewpoint. I do.

The Madden franchise is a bad choice of example IMO. Why? because 99.9999% of the players really don't care about innovation in an NFL video game. They just want to play and feel like they are fantasy warped into being part of the NFL. They are more NFL fans then video game fans in many cases.... and honestly... whose on the cover does affect sales with this demographic.