The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

SWTOR vs GW2 - PvP pop times

WIZBASKY

I just did a quick test, from character screen of swtor, login and select Que solo for PvP, a game popped about 10 minutes later then took 1.5 minutes from getting into zone to the match starting. so all up approx 12 minutes to get into action, from my experience that is about average, some days a WZ pops 30 secs after joining que, but 10 minutes is average.

I did the same test on GW2, which I have not played for 6 months and I was in a game and PvPing in a grand total of 10 secs. Character screen, log in, I was already at the PvP game selector, selected a game joined and ran to the PvP action all up grand total time 10-15 seconds.

OK granted game was already in progress, but that only shaved off about 30 secs of wait time, so 45-60 secs grand total time from login to actually fighting and GW2 has LOTS of servers to choose from all packed pull of PvPers

I am getting bored with SWTOR and the wait times, takes too log to log in and get a game to pop, 2 months ago I was playing about 10-12 hours a day levelling up my Commando and PvPing at all levels, now I can't bring myself to do 2 matches as POP times take too long.

anyone else getting discouraged from playing because of wait times?

so you compared one fresh start with long que time probably not prime time, with one lucky que already in progress.

in swtor if you que and get instant pop, better computer and game already in progress you can be in action 10 seconds after you hit 'join'

make test on 200 ques each prime time. then do the math (not say gw2 que is faster/better, just pointing out that your comparing system is a fail)

Massively flawed argument. You say that you popped right into an existing GW2 pvp match that was already in progress, but wouldn't the same thing have happened if someone dropped in a WZ and you just happened to queue up? Like above GW2 may be faster, but your statement doesn't hold weight.

That and if GW2 appealed to me at all (or any other MMO out right now) I probably would be playing it already. I fail to see the reason to advertise GW when if someone wanted to talk about it, they'd be playing it instead.

so you compared one fresh start with long que time probably not prime time, with one lucky que already in progress.

in swtor if you que and get instant pop, better computer and game already in progress you can be in action 10 seconds after you hit 'join'

make test on 200 ques each prime time. then do the math (not say gw2 que is faster/better, just pointing out that your comparing system is a fail)

Atramar you not getting it, in swtor you hit que you can be waiting 10 min for POP, in GW2 they have a selection of like 100 games in progress you choose one like 16/18 which mean 2 spots open and you are in and playing right away, no waiting, then you stay in that server and play to your hearts content as it just rotates though the maps, when you have had enough Pvp action for 1 day you leave.

SWTOR is join que, wait 10 min, finish game, join Que wait a few min as it should pop faster, finish game join que wait a few min.

GW2 is join instantly and play all day. that's what SWTOR needs, I am all for SWTOR but needs better system.

You can't possibly compare GW2 PVP to SWTOR - especially not open games.

You should have compared the "free tourneys" to SWTOR PVP. Ever since PVP in GW2 died in November, "free tourneys" don't pop that often anymore.

You can't possibly compare GW2 PVP to SWTOR - especially not open games.

You should have compared the "free tourneys" to SWTOR PVP. Ever since PVP in GW2 died in November, "free tourneys" don't pop that often anymore.

Not sure what you are talking about I was just in there tpday they had LOTS of games in progress to choose from to play PvP match games 9 vs 9, I did not scroll down to count how many servers but looked like 30+ games running, that's seems a whole lot more than 2 games running in swtor.

I say 2 in swtor because you usually end up joining a game in progress 1/2 the time a WZ pops

2 pvp games in swtor? you playng on closed dev only server or heavy off times?

type /who Voidstar

or who Civil/novare/Pit/Ancient.

comparing gw2 to swtor is pointles.. I mean... light sticks :cool:

Edited by Atramar

I'm discourage by the fact that PvP has become a queue at all as the standard in MMOs

I remember a game once; where I complained that you had to get everybody buffed and organized, manually, and ready to go to where it would take a few minutes; then you all would just cross a line or flag yourself for PvP and have huge battles for a couple hours against a waiting force or repel an oncoming one. Then would have to do that same buffing again or you might be waiting for the enemy to re-buff and I thought that was bad.

Funny how your opinion of things change when they are gone.

Edited by Technohic

If you are doing level 55 PvP that's probably why. People are still leveling believe it or not. Lower queues are much faster. But honestly I don't remember waiting ten minutes ever for a war zone on the bastion.

10mins to get a que pop. you are funny lol. usually takes me 1-2mins to get into a wz during off peak hours. The only times i have to wait 10+ mins are when the que is bugged or when I am queing <29 wzs super early in the morning.

I just did a quick test, from character screen of swtor, login and select Que solo for PvP, a game popped about 10 minutes later then took 1.5 minutes from getting into zone to the match starting. so all up approx 12 minutes to get into action, from my experience that is about average, some days a WZ pops 30 secs after joining que, but 10 minutes is average.

I did the same test on GW2, which I have not played for 6 months and I was in a game and PvPing in a grand total of 10 secs. Character screen, log in, I was already at the PvP game selector, selected a game joined and ran to the PvP action all up grand total time 10-15 seconds.

Small sample size skewing the results?

Have fun playing GW2.

Apples to oranges.

You're comparing GW2's hot-join system which uses a similar system to FPS games with continual map cycling. Try their free tournament PvP mode (which isn't like ranked and can be solo queued) which starts a fresh game when enough people are queued.

Prime time on Bastion the queues are 1-2 mins long. It only gets to 10 minutes after 4 am+ server time.

I prefer the queue system of swtor. Wait time isn't everything and in any case they aren't 15 minutes. Not to mention I find GW2 pvp boring. Gave up on it after a month and I still play plenty in swtor even after a year and a half.

i remenber waiting 7 hours on guild wars 2 for a zerg vs zerg vs zerg pop... gg arenanet there, derp we can hold derpmega fights! my *** really

Yeah, see I was never inspired by GW2's arena PvP. Feels too simple (not easy, simple).

I loved the WvWvW idea, but then there's those endless queues for those.

OP has a point. Not that I'm bummed by SWTOR WZ waiting times but rather that GW2 has done really interesting things in terms of game architecture freeing people from being so tied to single servers.

If you want to play with your buddies on other servers - no problem. As the OP points out the Nifty WZ system is pretty awesome. You can PVP non-stop for hours on end.

Blizzard at one stage was looking at shared server architecture for leveling purposes to deal with empty starter area issues which I thought was an awesome idea.

Pretty much the sooner game companies liberate game architecture from single server oriented design the better.

Here is a link to a youtube vid showing you the difference in load times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7adTcxDetMI

I gave up playing GW2 after 2 month because of certain Op classes that killed you in 2 hits, but I loved the PvP system, if SWTOR had the GW2 PvP system I think SWTOR would get a lot more people playing it.

Edited by WIZBASKY