The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Commando Hold the line needs BOOST to be on par with OPS roll

evilmoka

If roll isn't going to be put on a cooldown, ALL other classes need a way to move at the speed of light as well.

Alright, then it can cost a quarter of your ammo every time and lose it's ability to make you immune to physics. Also, other classes do have a way to move that fast - it's called transcendence.

No, all classes don't need the same abilities.

All of the whiners and complainers just don't get it. The roll is what makes operatives and scoundrels unique. It makes them what they are, mobile and stealthy.

That's how MMO's work. Every class is different and unique. And all of the classes interact in a Rock, Paper, Scissors manner. Some are better vs. others while some are worse.

If you're going to ***** about being able to roll, then it can easily be turned around and said that operatives then need heavy armor and a shield that makes things un-interruptable because commandos have it. And they need a bubble and a 10 second immunity because sorcs have it.

This isn't how these games work. Every class brings their own utility and abilities to the table.

If roll isn't going to be put on a cooldown, ALL other classes need a way to move at the speed of light as well.

Speed of light? Lol you don't move that fast it just looks iike it to some people because the animation is bad.. or your latency is bad. The op roll is almost like barely moving at all. You may be gonna just a tad bit faster than you would normally go.... it's really not worth using for the energy it takes up, tbh. I would rather have the 3 more attacks I can use.

All of the whiners and complainers just don't get it. The roll is what makes operatives and scoundrels unique. It makes them what they are, mobile and stealthy.

As usual, these all-or-nothing threads fail to address how operatives would cease to be unique, mobile and stealthy if their roll got a 4-second cooldown. Think of it as a buff to energy regen if that helps.

As usual, these all-or-nothing threads fail to address how operatives would cease to be unique, mobile and stealthy if their roll got a 4-second cooldown. Think of it as a buff to energy regen if that helps.

If the scoundrels and operatives are supposed to view a cooldown as a buff to energy regen, then why not have you view the current energy cost as the cooldown itself? The good ones don't spam it, especially the healers, due to the cost. The start of Huttball is one time event that can be overcome.

Simply put, it's really expensive to use. You can spam it in that you can do it 5 times in a row to go 60m, but then you're worthless.

Regardless, my post wasn't addressing a cooldown as much as it was addressing the original post that is asking for Hold the Line to be as fast as the roll.

I would agree that the speed boost for HtL is pretty weak but it's physics immunity that makes the ability great the boost is sort of just icing.

If you were any other class complaining about roll I suppose we could entertain your suggestion; however you are a Commando. Electro-Net that sucker and burn him down. That is really the weakest you will an Op, no way to vanish or move without hurting himself and slowed. Sticky Grenade > Grav Round > Demo Round and he should be hurting pretty bad.

That's how MMO's work. Every class is different and unique. And all of the classes interact in a Rock, Paper, Scissors manner. Some are better vs. others while some are worse.

If you're going to ***** about being able to roll, then it can easily be turned around and said that operatives then need heavy armor and a shield that makes things un-interruptable because commandos have it. And they need a bubble and a 10 second immunity because sorcs have it.

This isn't how these games work. Every class brings their own utility and abilities to the table.

Whilst I agree that all classes should have different abilities, I disagree with a few things:

1. The BIGGEST problem this game has faced since 1.2: Merc or CM is never EVER stronger against another class. There is rock, paper scissors and then poop. Merc is poo. You know it, I know it, stop acting like it isnt the case.

2. The way i met my guildies with deafening silence after talking about CDs - I will trade every single CD the Merc has + the heavy armour, for all yours + medium armour. Now you tell me if that is a fair trade!

I agree. Let's undo the nerfs to force speed so its more useful and lets improve it somehow to be on par with roll!

Sorcerers also need Force Speed to break roots and provide root immunity for the 2 seconds it lasts. Like the healers get for 2.5s. If that were done, it wouldn't even matter if it were on a 20s cooldown, as long as it actually worked.

Whilst I agree that all classes should have different abilities, I disagree with a few things:

1. The BIGGEST problem this game has faced since 1.2: Merc or CM is never EVER stronger against another class. There is rock, paper scissors and then poop. Merc is poo. You know it, I know it, stop acting like it isnt the case.

2. The way i met my guildies with deafening silence after talking about CDs - I will trade every single CD the Merc has + the heavy armour, for all yours + medium armour. Now you tell me if that is a fair trade!

I agree that Mercs and Commandos are weaker than some classes, particularly Sorcs and Operatives in terms of healing. But I don't think giving them a roll or a speed boost that is similar is the answer.

The class is designed differently than their squishier counterparts. They are meant to be the tanks of healing, if that makes sense. The mobility helped Operatives because it enhanced their class and their role. I don't think the same would be true for Mercs and Commandos.

have you played an op in hb? the problem is that you don't need energy to attack anything. and dcds don't require energy. thus, all of the counter arguments about energy cost are completely moot, even though you can go from ball spawn to endzone with only a brief pause (where you use a speed boost from sneak!) and still have about 70% energy remaining. no. sorry. all it took was one hb match on my scoundrel to see how easily this ability is abused. the problem isn't when you do 2 scampers. it's that you can exhaust your energy. and then practically do it again with the energy regen abils, and there are no repercussions for doing so because you have no need or intention of attacking something or healing anything. so yes. a short cd is necessary. two in a row isn't a big deal. 4-6 in a row is absurd (because, again, energy means nothing to dcds and ccs, which are all the carrier needs

note: I don't have an issue with a speed boost to a node. most classes have something for that anyway, and being out of energy at that point is a setback. in hb though? no. not at all. you want them to kill you. you'll be in better position to kill their carrier if they control mid, and you'll have full energy again.

Edited by foxmob

I agree that Mercs and Commandos are weaker than some classes, particularly Sorcs and Operatives in terms of healing. But I don't think giving them a roll or a speed boost that is similar is the answer.

The class is designed differently than their squishier counterparts. They are meant to be the tanks of healing, if that makes sense. The mobility helped Operatives because it enhanced their class and their role. I don't think the same would be true for Mercs and Commandos.

And we are behind every other class in terms of utility, and effective dps under fire or attention.

The argument about Mercs and healers as healer tanks, is completely mute as the role is utterly broken due to the design. Our reliance on casts leaves us vulnerable and rather un-tank like. We have no channels, and only two instants, both on longer cool downs, leaving us vulnerable to stuns, interrupts and pushes. Currently, the two lighter armoured classes can stand and tank as healers longer and better than Merc or CM, due to CDs and the nature of their heals. Or due to instants and mobility, run and tank, as the case is with operative and scoundrel.

Considering scoundrels already have stealth as an escape, I think the OPs point is that Merc and Commando are behind as their one and only escape is relatively slow. To give you an idea, Sentinels can be only 10% behind in speed from a passive ability.

Edited by SkinzOCAU