The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Need a powerful PvP Tank build

NeverSuffer

I have tried to play my VG on many different dps builds since 2.0 and really just can't make it feel good since I don't have a good powerful burst anymore (or at least I don't feel like I do)... and yeah maybe that could be me just not figuring out the best way to set myself up in 2.0 I dunno... anyway.... I haven't played this toon as a tank since launch and need some advise on a build that allows me to be a beast protector while still being able to contribute to running decent numbers in damage. What's the best PvP armor for me? Tank spec in dps armor still good or is that gimping me as a tank? I can do a lot of my own research but if someone can at least point me in the right direction with this I would appreciate it.

it all depends on what u want to do. going full shield Spec is pretty much all you can do since for some reason Bioware doesnt like creativity in their builds

I am kinda wanting to be a tank that can mitigate a solid amount of damage while still being able to kill other players- full tank spec seems to be useless 1v1 so if I try to guard a node and any half decent DPS comes after me my best hope is that either he sucks or I can outlast his insane burst long enough for teammates to show up...... and as a pub sometimes that's a long itme lol. This might be me and my not fuly geared self talking idk- I'm rocking half of my war hero dps gear and half my new partison tank gear.

I like the idea of your build but I don't think that is going to do well to my playstyle. Right now as a tank I task myself with either protecting healers or dps that are being focused or guarding nodes. If I'm protecting a healer I need to be able to put some hurt on the ones nailing my healers so that they die and not just EVENTUALLY kill my guarded target.... if I'm guarding a node I need to be able to have a shot at killing an attacker incase help DOESN'T come any time soon. Right now I am having SOME luck with tank spec but reasonably high power/aim setup... I am thinking I may go for something like that....

Check out my thread in the powertech board. Might be what you were looking for. Spec is in my sig.

No just no

You dropped most of shield specs mitigation plus most of its good defining talents (pulse cannon proc, SC heal, ES snare)

Plus it has half a dps tree that requires HEC for its burst talent

That spec amounts to a underpowered dps with a shield, you won't have thesurviveability to guard healers agaisnt more than one or two opponents, and your not going to be able to put up half the dps if a full dps

As for the "I don't want to lose 1v1" comment - if you are a tank without heals you are going to lose all 1v1 vs dps. Period. Tanks are underpowered in swtor always have and always will, - hybriding with the already PvP weak tactics just makes you die faster to that dps

I on my mobile so I can't upload my build, but I'll try to get on my computer soon and upload then

No just no

You dropped most of shield specs mitigation plus most of its good defining talents (pulse cannon proc, SC heal, ES snare)

Plus it has half a dps tree that requires HEC for its burst talent

That spec amounts to a underpowered dps with a shield, you won't have thesurviveability to guard healers agaisnt more than one or two opponents, and your not going to be able to put up half the dps if a full dps

As for the "I don't want to lose 1v1" comment - if you are a tank without heals you are going to lose all 1v1 vs dps. Period. Tanks are underpowered in swtor always have and always will, - hybriding with the already PvP weak tactics just makes you die faster to that dps

I on my mobile so I can't upload my build, but I'll try to get on my computer soon and upload then

I would like to see your build - I am running THIS. currently . I can certainly see cause for debate/concern with some of my choices so feedback would be welcome.

that is a pretty typical tank spec however what most of these people dont account for is (pvp wise) is that the top rated players will have at least 2 smashers doing **** tons of dps and with a leap its an auto crit so that means it negates Defence chance since its a force attack and then it negates shield since it is a crit. also they have a buff that makes them crit for their next attack so thats another totally unmitigated smash that will hit you for around 8-10k each hit if they are a halfway decent smasher.

Basically if u want to tank in pvp the Shield Spec tree will give u some control and allow u to leap right into your death to a smash... all the devences from SS tree are almost always negated except for the flat damage reduction and the Riot gas is also a very good skill.

so if u want to play lowbie or scrub pvp then SS tree is pretty decent but once u get in with the big dogs it just doesnt cut it.

For some reason Bioware wants to keep VG tanks out of any good top tier WZ's. if u compair what VG gets to other tanks its pretty ridiculous so look at the flat damage reduction abilities is the different trees and if u spec right u can finally be on par with other tanks.

Edited by Is-ith

that is a pretty typical tank spec however what most of these people dont account for is (pvp wise) is that the top rated players will have at least 2 smashers doing **** tons of dps and with a leap its an auto crit so that means it negates Defence chance since its a force attack and then it negates shield since it is a crit. also they have a buff that makes them crit for their next attack so thats another totally unmitigated smash that will hit you for around 8-10k each hit if they are a halfway decent smasher.

Basically if u want to tank in pvp the Shield Spec tree will give u some control and allow u to leap right into your death to a smash... all the devences from SS tree are almost always negated except for the flat damage reduction and the Riot gas is also a very good skill.

so if u want to play lowbie or scrub pvp then SS tree is pretty decent but once u get in with the big dogs it just doesnt cut it.

For some reason Bioware wants to keep VG tanks out of any good top tier WZ's. if u compair what VG gets to other tanks its pretty ridiculous so look at the flat damage reduction abilities is the different trees and if u spec right u can finally be on par with other tanks.

Hmmm You have a pretty grim view of the VG... after playing as assault though so did I.... sad to say I feel much more powerful as a tank now that I am starting to get some of my gear rolling in... but 300k damage and 250k protection is far from the 5-700k damage I was able to bust out as a dps pre-2.0. It sucks though having people tell me that VG is worthless as a tank and as a dps... can we be cheerleaders?

Hmmm You have a pretty grim view of the VG... after playing as assault though so did I.... sad to say I feel much more powerful as a tank now that I am starting to get some of my gear rolling in... but 300k damage and 250k protection is far from the 5-700k damage I was able to bust out as a dps pre-2.0. It sucks though having people tell me that VG is worthless as a tank and as a dps... can we be cheerleaders?

Look I still play vanguard tank as my main so I still do a lot with him and find builds that can work in PvP ( might not be the best but it works) so I am still supporting VG but I'm not going to say VG is something it isn't and ya I can get those numbers too but those are optimal conditions. Saying we all need to pretend everything is hunky dory is plain stupidity... Sry but it doesn't accomplish anything

Edited by Is-ith