Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

It's great to PVE with no Damage Meters

Neeseek

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most surprising revelation about this conversation:

People against the DPS meter seem to be really negatively affected by the insults of 14 year olds regarding their DPS output.

Did you know that with the number of people on earth combined with the rate of unemployment, if you were to use supply and demand as a metric, a single bullet is worth more than a single human life?

Yet, a 14 year old insults you and apparently you're quite affected by this.

Perhaps a quiet confidence in themselves precludes the need for it?

By that same rationale why would it matter then if that information was readily available? If being quietly confident in one's abilities precludes their need to have a meter, that same confidence shouldn't interfere with the desire of others to want one anyway.

Since they should be confident enough that in both situations they are doing the best they can to help their group and not just sandbagging it.

I find it fun that I get instantly insulted by the elitist´s here, proves my point very well why I dont want such meters in this game.

You are a great help to BW to understand our concerns, keep the insults coming!

Who's insulting? I know I'm not, I just asked a question.

Edited by TradewindNQ

It was based on the previous boss fight, I knew the tank from my guild and didn't suspect he would link from anything other than boss encounters.

Damage taken per second, most likely. I think that is measured by Recount as well as total damage taken.

Like I said, he came in after everybody else, if you didn't control for that, it wouldn't mean much on its own.

Heck, even taking little damage in a single boss fight doesn't mean much, there are some boss fights where that'll matter, some where it won't.

The most surprising revelation about this conversation:

People against the DPS meter seem to be really negatively affected by the insults of 14 year olds regarding their DPS output.

Did you know that with the number of people on earth combined with the rate of unemployment, if you were to use supply and demand as a metric, a single bullet is worth more than a single human life?

Yet, a 14 year old insults you and apparently you're quite affected by this.

I'm FerrusPA and this is my favorite post in this thread.

If they have confidence in themselves they should have no problems with other people having their performance charted.
As long as those other people don't get delusions of grandeur and exclude players from participation because of it - I agree completely. Edited by GalacticKegger

I find it fun that I get instantly insulted by the elitist´s here, proves my point very well why I dont want such meters in this game.

And the insults are so one-sided, why the anti-addon/meter crowd never says anything insulting or demeaning.

Oh wait, they do.

Of course, you're overlooking something, it's happening without addons greater than a spellcheck.

Keep telling yourself that. Bioware doesn't want to make another "camp reject" MMORPG designed to cater exclusively to people thrown out of WoW. They're going world-class and that means addons and meters.

You are not the majority. The vast majority of WoW players uses addons and loves them. They're wildly popular. You're actually an extreme minority.

That's not exactly the truth. Yes, most people use addons in WoW (where do you get your statistics for "vast majority" by the way? Please link.) However, a damage meter is not necessarily one of them, and even fewer "love" a damage meter besides the idiots who spam its output all the time.

I come from a big raiding guild in WoW, one of the top guilds on the server and we had lots of problems with progress because everyone was running recount, over-aggroing, ignoring adds, or comparing numbers when tactics were being discussed etc. Recount was banned, and the combat log was recorded by the RL and uploaded after each raid and progress accelerated hugely as people were focused on actually killing bosses instead of worrying about beating "fred" at dps.

Nobody "needs" a DPS meter. Hell, if you want to work out your dps now, get a healer friend, go find a high level mob record its HP, then see how long it takes you to kill it. Divide the HP by the time taken to kill it (in seconds), and that's your DPS. It's not rocket science.

fantastic, I can finally enjoy flashpoints without some kid linking his meter every 3 mins to brag.

what a blast, thanks for not including a combat log bioware!

Yep, its fun feeling worthless as dps b.c I have no clue how much damage I'm contributing to the group, while the tank and healer do all the work.

As long as those other people don't get delusions of grandeur or exclude other players from participating because of it - I agree completely.

A) Delusions of grandeur exist regardless of addons and meters, if anything, meters tend to poke a few of those balloons.

B) Players won't be excluded, they just won't be included. There is a distinct difference.

As long as those other people don't get delusions of grandeur or exclude other players from participating because of it - I agree completely.

Added to this - nobody knows how unbalanced the classes and specs are yet. So it might turn out that even some braindead idiot spamming 2 buttons on a BH can out DPS someone on an IA playing perfectly. Will the DPS meter help them? Of course not.

That's not exactly the truth. Yes, most people use addons in WoW (where do you get your statistics for "vast majority" by the way? Please link.) However, a damage meter is not necessarily one of them, and even fewer "love" a damage meter besides the idiots who spam its output all the time.

The person I was replying to was saying that ALL addons are only used by a tiny minority. I corrected her.

Nobody "needs" a DPS meter. Hell, if you want to work out your dps now, get a healer friend, go find a high level mob record its HP, then see how long it takes you to kill it. Divide the HP by the time taken to kill it (in seconds), and that's your DPS. It's not rocket science.

Which is why trying to stop it is pointless, and instead the better way to go is to just implement it.

Why put people through a needless bother?

As long as those other people don't get delusions of grandeur or exclude players from participation because of it - I agree completely.

Why shouldn't they?

I (try) to play as effectively as I can, and when I'm doing group missions, I want to play with other people who share my paradigm and approach to the game.

Why should I not be allowed that?

I come from a big raiding guild in WoW, one of the top guilds on the server and we had lots of problems with progress because everyone was running recount, over-aggroing, ignoring adds, or comparing numbers when tactics were being discussed etc. Recount was banned, and the combat log was recorded by the RL and uploaded after each raid and progress accelerated hugely as people were focused on actually killing bosses instead of worrying about beating "fred" at dps.

I hate to break it to you but that's more an argument that your raiders are undisciplined meter whores than it is an argument against their use to begin with.

Or are we going for the prohibition type arguments now? Restrict it for everyone because there are people who abuse it?

Keep telling yourself that. Bioware doesn't want to make another "camp reject" MMORPG designed to cater exclusively to people thrown out of WoW. They're going world-class and that means addons and meters.

If thats the case, why didn't they have addons in the game from the start, hm?

As long as those other people don't get delusions of grandeur or exclude players from participation because of it - I agree completely.

Well, as long as they're only excluded when they're terrible and won't take advice on how to be better.

Failure must be punished, else there's no reason to stop failing.

The problem is, when you make a suggestion to someone on how to play their class better, you usually get a "**** you, I play how I want" response.

Those without the desire to improve deserve no end of contempt.

Hence my asking if they controlled for that.

Fair enough, just the anti-meter crowd tend to throw in so many "what if <this> scenario" to try and confuse the matter. Many don't know the full ability of today's meters. Was just trying to clarify that they can be still useful if party members change mid instance.

Edited by Jnight