We're back, baby!

Khalij

Got home from work yesterday and dusted off my sorcerer for some regular PvP. (George Takei voice) Oooohhhh myyyyy, was it glorious. Pure lightning spec. Consistently in the top 3 of damage done; usually over 400k. As always, sorcerers will still require a lot of skill to play well, but when you do you melt faces. Uber satisfying to blow your alacrity/crit cd's and melt 2-3 people down with TB/CL/ForkedL/FL procs. Soo much damage. Sentinels and Juggernauts still give me a hard time, mainly because of their defensive cd's. But if you can outmaneuver them until Blade Ward/Guarded by the Force wears off, you're golden and can promptly commence with facemelting them like everyone else.

/nerdgasm

/thread

Oh, and our heals (for non-corruption specs) are actually useful now. Just force speed to safety when low on hp, infusion for 2 gcd's and you're back in the fight. Edited by Khalij

Lighning sorc are obviously good now. I remember on the pts,this lightning sorc landing 7k to 8.5k crits back to back,non stop. I was insane. Still easy ti kill but now sorc have the glass and the cannono

Then what would you make of all the other classes that do the same damage with higher mitigation?

I am just coming back from quite a hiatus from the game... (I believe I stopped playing shorting after 1.2) I was wondering if there were any recommended sites I should be looking at to help me get back into the swing of things Sorc related?

I know with the new expansion coming at the end of this week there will be new information to pour through from those who have been able to participate in the PTR and Head Start; until then, does anyone have any recommendations for information that I may be able to catch up on for the here and now? I would greatly appreciate advice, and any knowledge from those whom never left, or have come back recently as well.

Thank you for your time!

Dev

What? I've played every AC to at least 50 valor and sorc is the one that I consider the easiest to play effectively, all you have to do is get kiting down and learn the resolve mechanics, there aren't even that many buttons to use - I use far more on my guardian, shadow and operative.

Since 2.0 has gone live I've played over 20 WZs on my sorc and have been top damage on my team every time, with my guardian I've only been top damage about 50% of the time because with the influx of snipers I just get slowed and raped from range before even being able to apply damage.

Edited by shucksy

Got home from work yesterday and dusted off my sorcerer for some regular PvP. (George Takei voice) Oooohhhh myyyyy, was it glorious. Pure lightning spec. Consistently in the top 3 of damage done; usually over 400k. As always, sorcerers will still require a lot of skill to play well, but when you do you melt faces. Uber satisfying to blow your alacrity/crit cd's and melt 2-3 people down with TB/CL/ForkedL/FL procs. Soo much damage. Sentinels and Juggernauts still give me a hard time, mainly because of their defensive cd's. But if you can outmaneuver them until Blade Ward/Guarded by the Force wears off, you're golden and can promptly commence with facemelting them like everyone else.

/nerdgasm

/thread

I've always have played a full Madness spec. Would you mind sharing your spec/skill rotation. I wouldnt mind trying lightning for a change of pace.

I'm loving 0-30-16 (http://www.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-calculator/sorcerer/12/?build=000000000000000000000000000000000023120202120212023021020000000003022102013100010000000000000000&ver=20), or at least I will once I'm lvl 55 - still missing 25% crit dmg and the root on knockback which are both major boosts! Still, managed to do this just now and I've topped damage every game tonight usually doing 500k-600k apart from the one game where a full tank spec jugg chased me around all game. Screen: http://i.imgur.com/zkXRkY9.jpg

Yes I'm a bad for not having shock, crushing darkness or force storm on my bar - just emphasises more the point that sorcs don't suck if someone with crappy hands can still do well.

Edited by shucksy

It's a crap AC if you have to put in twice the effort and skill to reach only slightly better results than significally worse players on other AC'es. That's how I look at it.

You're obviously doing it wrong. I've never heard anyone complain about sorcs being hard to play. In fact, my Pyrotech and my Madness Sorc are the easiest characters I have.

And yeah. Lightning Sorcs are pretty scary now. The burst is insane, especially with the new Polarity Shift and talent for it. I think Madness might need a little more work though. Went up against a Pub team last night where a Balance Sage broke 1.2 mil. But honestly, I didn't even notice it. The 750k Gunslinger was way scarier/hurt a helluva lot more.

Sorcs have an extremely low skill softcap but in the rare even match they require good positioning, pre-kiting, etc and this is very rare to see. Of course this only matters in even matches where they are pressured so most of the time sorc is easy as hell to play.

While the damage increase is favorable, it is the nerf to our defensive abilities (reduction in Static Barrier absorption, reduction in armor, and loss of instant Whirlwind) that I'm very unhappy with contrary to the opinion of a few. BioWare should make available to all Sorcerers 'Shapeless Spirit' and increase Static Barrier back to 20%, I'd be completely satisfied with 2.0.

I am just coming back from quite a hiatus from the game... (I believe I stopped playing shorting after 1.2) I was wondering if there were any recommended sites I should be looking at to help me get back into the swing of things Sorc related?

I know with the new expansion coming at the end of this week there will be new information to pour through from those who have been able to participate in the PTR and Head Start; until then, does anyone have any recommendations for information that I may be able to catch up on for the here and now? I would greatly appreciate advice, and any knowledge from those whom never left, or have come back recently as well.

Thank you for your time!

Dev

I am in pretty much the exact same position you are, left right around 1.3 and started playing again about a week ago. So far the best info I've found is here in the forums. Doesn't seem to be to much in developed theorycraft yet for 2.0. I know the old rotations seem to work just fine (lightning and heals anyways). And the new talent trees seem to be pretty straight forward, unless you're running a hybrid spec.

from what it looks like in war zones, sorcs won the #1 players choice award and despite the fact that snipers are said to be FOTM all i see is lightnings and sparkly thingies hitting everything in sight

brief look on my sunday evening on a pt tank :

-pugged for HM fps - done false emperor with sorc heal, and 2x dps sorc.

2nd pug for HMs - sorc heal, sorc dps and assasin dps

3rd - operative heal, 2x sorc dps.

pugged for wz's - minimum number of sorcs per team = 2, maximum number of sorcs per team = 6. average 3-4 sorc per pugged wz in MY team only. (most of them being trash on, but most occasions a sorc is on the top of the ranking with biggest dps + enormous heals so i kinda get it why there might be so many)

did this AC became godly overpowered while i wasnt looking? i mean yeah you got some nice buffs but those lightnings everywhere are silly ;P

did this AC became godly overpowered while i wasnt looking? i mean yeah you got some nice buffs but those lightnings everywhere are silly ;P

Nah I think its a meta thing. Snipers are OP. But they still get raped by stealthers. Sorcs get beat by Snipers, but because of stun bubble they beat everything else. (Well, melee is a given. And Vanguard burst is trash. I'm not sure how Commandos do against Sorcs.)

It is just a fun easy class to play. My main is a Sorc and I can see why other people will like it also. I don't think it has a lot to do with power. It is more that its just 'cool' and in the single player the story is pretty good also.