Commando Medic NO BFG!

grandmasterub

Sooo is it possible to be a commando "medic spec'd" and not have to use the giant cannon?

I originally planned on making a vanguard tank and sage healer, but I ended up making a shadow tank and i digress...

Anyway was thinkin about trying to make the trooper commando my healer but I just really hate the giant cannon. I know with shadow there are a lot of mandatory abilities that require i use a dualblade lightsaber. Is this also true for commando?

Just thought I'd ask before I have to choose my AC cause if this is the case I may just make a dps vanguard.

Yes, there are several offensive commando abilities that require you to have an assault cannon equipped. I'm not sure what the problem is though, I think the big gun suits this class and its turret-like abilities very well. Also I find that they can be very competent healers, in case you were wondering.

Its an asthetics thing. I just dont like the look of the big gun, the animations, how it clips. If I'm gonna stare at my character for hundreds of hours over the course of the game I'd prefer the look to not piss me off.

However I may end up just going vanguard due to the mobility

you can mod a rifle so that you can HEAL perfectly fine, but you will not be able to do anything else like help with dps when theres not much damage being dished out

it depends on which offensive skills you want to use.

if you are going rifle Commando, just pay attention to if the tooltip says it requires assault cannon.

Sooo is it possible to be a commando "medic spec'd" and not have to use the giant cannon?

I originally planned on making a vanguard tank and sage healer, but I ended up making a shadow tank and i digress...

Anyway was thinkin about trying to make the trooper commando my healer but I just really hate the giant cannon. I know with shadow there are a lot of mandatory abilities that require i use a dualblade lightsaber. Is this also true for commando?

Just thought I'd ask before I have to choose my AC cause if this is the case I may just make a dps vanguard.

You can certainly use the rifle, I did for about a level because I couldn't get a single good cannon. I was dps'n in one Heroic, so I just pulled out my cannon for that, because a Supercharged Cell'd Charge Bolts is too gd delish.

You can definitely heal with a rifle, I would just avoid getting the ones that can't be mod'd. This will probably be more of a pain in the *** later as I'm definitely seeing those tank oriented rifles.

As it was stated you can HEAL perfectly well. However Assault Cannon deals 20% more damage with every skill except for a few. Those few abilities that are not affected by cannon's damage all have cooldowns and/or require specific conditions to be usable.

Also, as previously stated, you lose some of the great abilities like: Hail of Bolts - not only does this skill do a lot of aoe damage, it will also stun standard/weak targets. To top it off it's a spamable skill and you will wipe whole groups of trash mobs with 2 hails. This is true even if you are a combat medic.